HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout (is over!!!!!)

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 02:34 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
All this talk of Mike Green. He'll be injured inside of three games. And with Orlov under federal quarantine for flesh eating virus or whatever the hell they're keeping quiet it's going to be ugly back there with Schultz driving the transition for 30 minutes a night.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:32 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Interesting tidbit I hadn't heard about, from LeBrun:

Quote:
Draft lottery system changes in order to allow all 14 teams that missed the playoffs a crack at the No. 1 overall pick.
Previously, it was only the bottom five teams that could pick first overall out of the lottery. This allows all the teams that don’t make the postseason a chance at the first pick. I like this move a lot. For starters, it discourages teams even further from tanking late in the season to try to finish as close to the bottom as possible. Sure, it will still be a weighted system, but I like the fact all 14 teams will get a shot.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:43 PM
txpd

i thought you didnt care? maybe decide not to sell all your tix afterall?

Old
01-06-2013, 04:45 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

He's not a real fan!!!!! 1! 1!!

Old
01-06-2013, 04:46 PM
txpd

so...are they going to charge us for center ice or is it going to be a half season thank you for current customers?

Old
01-06-2013, 04:54 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
so...are they going to charge us for center ice or is it going to be a half season thank you for current customers?
Pretty sure they can't give out center ice for free (too many hoops with the cable/sat providers?), although they could do game center from what I've read. Doesn't mean they will, but...

Old
01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Interesting tidbit I hadn't heard about, from LeBrun:
Makes me hope the Caps miss the playoffs even more. Honestly, if they make the playoffs, are they going anywhere with this team? Unless Hotlby goes nuts, it will be the same old same old -- first round or second round ouster. So may as well just sit this one out, and hope for a crack at the #1.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:50 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Pretty sure they can't give out center ice for free (too many hoops with the cable/sat providers?), although they could do game center from what I've read. Doesn't mean they will, but...
pretty sure that the nhl can either pay those providers themselves or the league and providers together can decide that they want to treat their customers right in order to keep them as customers long term.

or...lets look at it another way. games are going to start in a couple of weeks. that is no time at all to sell the service. what makes the most sense is to provide the product to those that had it last season and try and sell some new customers that they can add to next season's base.
if they decide to sell it prorated, they are going to end up with a very short customer list.

keep in mind that the season is going to start before direct tv even gets the ask into the next bill heading to customers.

Last edited by txpd: 01-06-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
brad, the point langway was making is that young defense corps usually need veteran participation to balance them and help them grow. alzner and carlson are still babies. orlov is just coming off his rookie season and was scratched for the playoffs.

adding more young defensemen if you subtract green only makes that worse. they need more hamrlik and poti like players more than they need more rookies.
Alzner and Carlson aren't babies and they are nurturing fine without many veterans. You forget these two players have been playing together for a very long time.

Alzner and Carlson, imo, are experienced enough to teach other defenseman like Orlov. Green is expendable since we have no depth on D. Solid two lines but if one of them is hurt or plays poorly it's game over.Unless you want to break the pairs apart, we're screwed on our third pair. McPhee actually knows business unlike some people on the interwebz and his next moves are nurturing prospects and picking up defensive help for the future. Forsberg, Kuznetsov, Wilson, Barber, Galiev are the answers at forward. We have two or so solid defensive prospects. TWO.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:57 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
All this talk of Mike Green. He'll be injured inside of three games. And with Orlov under federal quarantine for flesh eating virus or whatever the hell they're keeping quiet it's going to be ugly back there with Schultz driving the transition for 30 minutes a night.
Isn't it just an upper body injury? I've never heard of flesh eating virus or quarantine. That doesn't sound fun.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Alzner and Carlson aren't babies and they are nurturing fine without many veterans. You forget these two players have been playing together for a very long time.

Alzner and Carlson, imo, are experienced enough to teach other defenseman like Orlov. Green is expendable since we have no depth on D. Solid two lines but if one of them is hurt or plays poorly it's game over.Unless you want to break the pairs apart, we're screwed on our third pair. McPhee actually knows business unlike some people on the interwebz and his next moves are nurturing prospects and picking up defensive help for the future. Forsberg, Kuznetsov, Wilson, Barber, Galiev are the answers at forward. We have two or so solid defensive prospects. TWO.
Uh...

Old
01-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Uh...
What's your problem, man? I did nothing to upset you and yet you ridicule every one of my posts. Young guys can learn by themselves and proper coaching. Look at Edmonton and in other sports.

We have no depth on D. Two lines of players isn't depth. Depth is three decent pairs and good backups. What's the point of having two solid pairs and the third one sucks?

Old
01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
What's your problem, man? I did nothing to upset you and yet you ridicule every one of my posts. Young guys can learn by themselves and proper coaching. Look at Edmonton and in other sports.

Oates is going to be a fantastic coach. I'm very excited what he's going to bring us with his leadership.
Sorry, you want to look at Edmonton as an example? The team who just had 3 straight first overall picks?

What...?

Old
01-06-2013, 06:53 PM
txpd

Quote:

can you point to a cup team with 4 or 5 defensemen 25 years old or younger?

orlov 21
carlson 23
alzner 24
schultz 26
green 27

they are too young

defense is a game where you get better with age. this is why veterans can be so good for so long. its more about experience than natural ability. the caps defense all this time since boudreau arrived as been TOO YOUNG!! You want to make them younger.

Last edited by txpd: 01-06-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 07:15 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Sorry, you want to look at Edmonton as an example? The team who just had 3 straight first overall picks?

What...?
The team that players like Hall, Eberle, and RNH will be future stars in the league? They even got rid of guys like Dustin Penner and these three are going to be huge when they mature.

Quote:

can you point to a cup team with 4 or 5 defensemen 25 years old or younger?

orlov 21
carlson 23
alzner 24
schultz 26
green 27

they are too young

defense is a game where you get better with age. this is why veterans can be so good for so long. its more about experience than natural ability. the caps defense all this time since boudreau arrived as been TOO YOUNG!! You want to make them younger.
We tried getting older veterans and that didn't work. We tried getting guys like Hamrlik, Arnott, Knuble, etc. to help round out our team.

The majority of the "hot" defenseman in this year's Stanley Cup finals were 25 and younger. Teams are going younger now instead of getting older players. If "young defenseman" were so bad then Doughty, Larsson, Orlov, Fayne, Voynov, all wouldn't be where they are right now.

Doughty
Martinez
Voynov

Larsson
Fayne

For the reference that is 3. Also a 28 year old on the Kings' roster.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Larsson was scratched consistently...

Old
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

You do realize that Rob Scuderi and Willie Mitchell were 2nd and 3rd among LA's defensemen in ice time in the playoffs, right?

And Martinez played ~14 minutes per game.

Old
MoJoSauce

Quote:
The team that players like Hall, Eberle, and RNH will be future stars in the league? They even got rid of guys like Dustin Penner and these three are going to be huge when they mature.
Good luck keeping all them when their contracts come up. The new cap limit is going to cause some problems in EDM

Old
caps4cup
Dynasty

Any idea who/when the Caps will play their 1st game

Old
01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Larsson was scratched consistently...
Yet still played a part in helping them make the Cup and is widely accepted as the next great defenseman in the league.

Younger players = longetivity

Longetivity = Stanley Cup

Older players = win now or go home

Win now or go home = Blow up the team

Eat my words, folks. If you pick up older players who can't get it done, the team will be blown up. Everyone gone other than Ovi, Backstrom, Orlov, Johansson, Laich, Carlson, Alzner, Hendricks, and Holtby.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
Doughty
Martinez
Voynov

Larsson
Fayne

For the reference that is 3. Also a 28 year old on the Kings' roster.
go look again. based on minutes played. the kings defense was

doughty 23
mitchell 35
scuderi 34
voynov 22
greene 29

2 of the top 3 minutes players were 35 and 34 years old.in the playoffs. the only 3 averaging 20 minutes or more were daughty, mitchell and scuderi. this is my point.

meanwhile the devils top defense in minutes
were zidlicky 35
salvadore 36
greene 30.

those were both veteran lead defense corps....and i forgot about volchenkov. come on.

then caps defense is lead in minutes by 24, 23, 27 and with a rookie goalie. no wonder they lost.

Last edited by txpd: 01-06-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

If you pick up players of any age that can't get it done, the team will be blown up.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Any idea who/when the Caps will play their 1st game
I've heard rumors that opening day will have all 30 teams, so if that's the 15th or 19th (as the rumored options are) then that'd be it...

Old
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I miss the lockout.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:30 PM
MoJoSauce

I think the caps are in decent shape this season. Barring injuries I think they will make it into the playoffs. Look at the SE division, their only real competition should be Carolina.

Hopefully their younger players develop this season and we can see where the team will actually be heading

Closed Thread