HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Lockout (is over!!!!!)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 09:33 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Why is it when Hamrlik and Green were a solid pair for the playoffs, people pretend it didn't happen?
Yeah for real. Hunter didn't care for Green at all despite his effectiveness in the playoffs. It really made no sense in the least as Wideman sucked hard. Weren't Green and Hammer a +7 or something? They weren't out for many goals against at all.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:38 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
no, you don't. besides, mcphee will take wolski's key away in 60-90 days anyway and he will rturn to being locked out.
You bring up a valid point.

I guess I'd rather see 48/50 games of Wolski/Jack Hannah/Jake Crabs than 82.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:53 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yeah for real. Hunter didn't care for Green at all despite his effectiveness in the playoffs. It really made no sense in the least as Wideman sucked hard. Weren't Green and Hammer a +7 or something? They weren't out for many goals against at all.
i think if dale could have gotten away with keeping his offensive players in the press box for the playoffs, 8, 19, 28, 52, he would have done that. for me green was good. the reason its forgotten is that green being good ruins a favorite narrative.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:58 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
You bring up a valid point.

I guess I'd rather see 48/50 games of Wolski/Jack Hannah/Jake Crabs than 82.
jack hannah? the zoo guy? he's in columbus

Old
01-07-2013, 10:03 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
jack hannah? the zoo guy? he's in columbus
Oh yea? I thought we signed him to be out #6/#7 guy after his cup of coffee in the HockeyTonk. This team is already a circus, why not make it a zoo too?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:09 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Quote:
i think if dale could have gotten away with keeping his offensive players in the press box for the playoffs, 8, 19, 28, 52, he would have done that. for me green was good. the reason its forgotten is that green being good ruins a favorite narrative.
Nick even?

This post made me laugh.

We are back!

Yeah, Dale loved him some Dennis Wideman. Bruce loved Flash and Sarge. Every coach has their guy that makes fans wonder.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:01 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Hi all! The NHL is back and so am I. Miss me?

Anyway, is anybody planning to participate in the Just Drop It boycott?

I am. I believe 100% the owners are to blame for this nonsense, and I'm just not giving them any money for a while. (Internet radio FTW)

Old
01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
txpd

nope. donald fehr has never avoided a work stoppage. the players hired him for a fight.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I am. I believe 100% the owners are to blame for this nonsense, and I'm just not giving them any money for a while. (Internet radio FTW)

Old
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Laugh all you want. What else can a fan do to be heard? Post *****y comments on Teddy's blog?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Yeah, not to get too bogged down into it, but neither side started off ready to deal. The owners came in aggressive (and a little sloppy, given they were up against Fehr) and the players started off ignoring the framework that they knew they'd end up having to accept, while simultaneously being unwilling to use their trump card (disclaimer) until late in the game.

The economics of the game are to blame for the lockout. Both sides are to blame for how long it went on. No reason to respond to that overly-emotionally, as it'll just end up rather empty.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Yeah, not to get too bogged down into it, but neither side started off ready to deal. The owners came in aggressive (and a little sloppy, given they were up against Fehr) and the players started off ignoring the framework that they knew they'd end up having to accept, while simultaneously being unwilling to use their trump card (disclaimer) until late in the game.

The economics of the game are to blame for the lockout. Both sides are to blame for how long it went on. No reason to respond to that overly-emotionally, as it'll just end up rather empty.
I agree with this. Not overly emotional. Love my Caps. Hate being treated like crap.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Laugh all you want. What else can a fan do to be heard? Post *****y comments on Teddy's blog?
I was more laughing at the complete blame of the owners. As if they were proposing completely unfair deals in regards to revenue with a league that doesn't generate any of it.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:12 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
I agree with this. Not overly emotional. Love my Caps. Hate being treated like crap.
That's fine. You have every right (and reason) to spend your money where you feel you're getting value and/or respect (although respect is usually just PR to get you to spend more money, no matter where you go). Just don't expect it to make much of an impact protest-wise.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:15 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Just don't expect it to make much of an impact protest-wise.
But if a bunch of people take that attitude it will get them somewhere.

Another lockout next time.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:25 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
I was more laughing at the complete blame of the owners. As if they were proposing completely unfair deals in regards to revenue with a league that doesn't generate any of it.
The league generates localized revenue. And those owners won't share with others. It's different in other, more successful leagues. NFL, MLB, and NBA all share revenue among owners very aggressively and the result is a benefit to all. Until NHL owners do the same, no matter what the players give them, their problems will persist. And since owners aren't willing or able to live within their means, they keep demanding the players give up more. It's a losing formula. That is why I feel it's their fault.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:35 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Pretty much. Except he did like Backstrom from what I remember.

I think he forgot that you have to score goals to win games

Old
01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:

sadly I agree. so crazy for the guy who scored maybe the biggest GWG in caps history.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:01 PM
HTFN

Quote:

I think he only forgot the plural.

If there's one thing Dale Hunter never forgot, it's that you need goal to win a hockey game. Then you pack all your players in your own crease for 40 minutes.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
nope. donald fehr has never avoided a work stoppage. the players hired him for a fight.
While I hate Fehr as much as anyone and certainly place a very large portion of the blame on the NHLPA, Fehr avoided two work stoppages while the head of the MLBPA. Only six of his eight labor negotiations have resulted in a strike or lockout.

Quote:
The league generates localized revenue. And those owners won't share with others. It's different in other, more successful leagues. NFL, MLB, and NBA all share revenue among owners very aggressively and the result is a benefit to all. Until NHL owners do the same, no matter what the players give them, their problems will persist. And since owners aren't willing or able to live within their means, they keep demanding the players give up more. It's a losing formula. That is why I feel it's their fault.
The players'/Fehr's strategy was to delay and delay in hopes of gaining leverage (and in the end, they got a much more favorable salary cap number than we would have thought a couple months ago). But it was their tactics that led to such a prolonged lockout (the owners agreed to increase revenue sharing a looooong time ago), especially given that the revenue splits in the NFL and NBA are about 50/50, so maintaining their 57% of HRR was a pipe dream.

The owners were ready to go to the table in January, but the players said to hold off until after the end of the regular season. And then to hold off until after the Stanley Cup. And then it still took until July to start neogiating, and the PA took a full month (to the day) to respond to the owners initial offer. All the while, Fehr tried to spin this as the owners were imposing a false deadline and they players would play while negotiating rather than be locked out (something that was absolutely untenable given the strikes of Fehr's unions in the past).

Old
01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
foundhockey
Pollyanna Sunshine

Quote:
the reason its forgotten is that green being good ruins a favorite narrative.
Good point.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
While I hate Fehr as much as anyone and certainly place a very large portion of the blame on the NHLPA, Fehr avoided two work stoppages while the head of the MLBPA. Only six of his eight labor negotiations have resulted in a strike or lockout.

The players'/Fehr's strategy was to delay and delay in hopes of gaining leverage (and in the end, they got a much more favorable salary cap number than we would have thought a couple months ago). But it was their tactics that led to such a prolonged lockout (the owners agreed to increase revenue sharing a looooong time ago), especially given that the revenue splits in the NFL and NBA are about 50/50, so maintaining their 57% of HRR was a pipe dream.

The owners were ready to go to the table in January, but the players said to hold off until after the end of the regular season. And then to hold off until after the Stanley Cup. And then it still took until July to start neogiating, and the PA took a full month (to the day) to respond to the owners initial offer. All the while, Fehr tried to spin this as the owners were imposing a false deadline and they players would play while negotiating rather than be locked out (something that was absolutely untenable given the strikes of Fehr's unions in the past).
I guess I'll agree to disagree with most here RE: laying blame. Good news is that we've got 8-10 years of hockey without another one of these.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

@mirtle: Teams will be able to retain salary/cap hit in a trade. This will be a very complex and carefully worded portion of new CBA I'm sure.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Ooh, that could be fun.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Green was +5, Hamrlik was +8.

And according to nhl.com Caps were even on ES.

Closed Thread