HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

How long will the lockout last? And on and on we go!

View Poll Results: How long will the lockout last?
1-2 weeks (no games lost) 24 4.46%
1-2 months (10-12 games lost) 95 17.66%
2-3 months (25-30 games) 130 24.16%
4-6 months (half the season) 64 11.90%
Fugettabouit! 225 41.82%
Voters: 538. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-17-2012, 08:10 AM
ThirtyFive

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Why do people wish for a cancelled season again? Once was unprecedented enough. I want to see NHl hockey and no more "Season Not Played" on the Cup.

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyFive View Post
Why do people wish for a cancelled season again? Once was unprecedented enough. I want to see NHl hockey and no more "Season Not Played" on the Cup.
I don't think it's a "wish" exactly - I'd call it "tempering expectations", so that if there is any part of a season, it's better than losing a season completely.

That said, I think both Bettman & Fehr could care less if there is a 2012-13 season (Bettman because everyone's "losing money" and Fehr because he "isn't a sports guy" and just won't care.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:13 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
Had to go with Fugettabouit! The 2 sides aren't even talking and when they do it's apples and oranges.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:14 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
1-2 months IMO but right now I honestly don't give a ****.
My sentiments exactly.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:11 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Red Winger View Post
If they miss one game of the regular, season, I am out as an NHL fan. Bunch of whiners playing a game for millions of dollars, *****ing about how horrible their situation is? Give me a break. I just had my salary reduced 20%, company is about to declare bankruptcy, scrambling to find another job before that happens, and I put in way more work time than the NHL players do, and I do not get the entire summer off.

I am just a typical fan. It is hard for us to relate to these spooled millionaires anymore. This is a shame, as the average NHL player has way more character than average MLB, NBA and NFL players, but they are becoming more like them every year, it seems.
Bull****. You're not a highly-specialized professional in a physically-dangerous profession. People don't pay billions of dollars per year for the product of your skills. The situations are incomparable.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:38 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

1-2 weeks.

I expect the owners to budge on their stance. The owners aren't on the same page and they'll get itchy feet.

bishop12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
1-2 weeks.

I expect the owners to budge on their stance. The owners aren't on the same page and they'll get itchy feet.
The owners aren't on the same page?

For the players you have guys making $600,000 voting "no" to the owners proposals to help "protect" another guy making $6,675,000 - and even twice that.

Is that on the same page?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Goulet17

I will be surprised if the whole season is not lost. I think the owners will be overconfident that the NHLPA will fold similar to the last lockout, but I don't think that Fehr will allow that to happen.

I don't believe the dynamics are good for a season to be held.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:09 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
The owners aren't on the same page?

For the players you have guys making $600,000 voting "no" to the owners proposals to help "protect" another guy making $6,675,000 - and even twice that.

Is that on the same page?
Players, because of the sher size, won't be on the same page.

But the owners aren't on the same page.

I get the sense from banter over the past year, they're getting itchy feet. With players signing in Europe, it getting colder, the fact the league on the whole is profitable..etc. And the fact the owners just are signing these guys two days ago and then demanding a haircut. Add it all up, and I think you'll see owners say 'mmm we're the ones that signed those deals...lets pay them that money....'

so we'll see 57% slide to 50/50 within 3-4 years...that'll be the compromise. But it'll start with the owners acting first.

And they won't miss any time.

bishop12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Kiraly

I think the whole season will be lost. It looks to be a game of chicken and both sides believe the other will cave first.

Kiraly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:06 PM
RANDOMH3RO

Unless one side has a complete change of heart, the season is gone. And honestly I do hope it hurts the league. Last time they came back and it was stronger, but that's not what the situation deserves this time.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:12 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Well I don't make 8% of the league minimum contract salary so both sides can shove a lit candle up their candy *****.

dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:37 PM
PayItForward

Wouldn't be surprised at a full season lockout. Actually, that's what I expect by now.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:01 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
I'm not wishing for a season-long lockout. And diehard Phoenix Coyotes fans aren't wishing for them to move. In both cases, we're watching slow-motion trainwrecks about to happen. The poll asked what we EXPECT will happen, not what we WANT to happen. GIven the circumstances, I expect a season-long lockout. I'd love to be wrong, and would be very pleasantly surprised by a quick solution.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:04 PM
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
I'm not wishing for a season-long lockout. And diehard Phoenix Coyotes fans aren't wishing for them to move. In both cases, we're watching slow-motion trainwrecks about to happen. The poll asked what we EXPECT will happen, not what we WANT to happen. GIven the circumstances, I expect a season-long lockout. I'd love to be wrong, and would be very pleasantly surprised by a quick solution.
Well many posts in this thread seem to express a desire to see a lost season.

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Nolanitis

Unless the NHL is going to come back with a legitimate offer, I can't see the players signing on anytime soon. They should all start playing overseas and let the owners stew in the .... they are creating. Maybe the owners start to worry next year and try to open with drafted players. If that happens I am done with the NHL forever.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Well many posts in this thread seem to express a desire to see a lost season.
Its just sort of blind rage.

People are pissed off at both sides and at the whole situation.

I think contrary to GB's stance that the fans will come right back, I think it is more likely that fans move on. They have realized that they can get through a year without hockey, and they are now of the expectation that NHL seasons will be cancelled on a regular basis to allow for squabbling over money.

There is tons more cynicism this time around. People see the charade for what it is and at this point they would be happy to see both sides suffer a little.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Its just sort of blind rage.

People are pissed off at both sides and at the whole situation.

I think contrary to GB's stance that the fans will come right back, I think it is more likely that fans move on. They have realized that they can get through a year without hockey, and they are now of the expectation that NHL seasons will be cancelled on a regular basis to allow for squabbling over money.

There is tons more cynicism this time around. People see the charade for what it is and at this point they would be happy to see both sides suffer a little.
While I think both sides clearly are wrong, I would bet my paycheck that most hockey fans blame the owners. They are crying poverty when hrr is at 3.2 billion, and have signed some incredibly expensive contracts this offseason. I think the players have been more flexible, but the owners want it only their way.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model62 View Post
With any luck, forever: fold the NHL and start over from scratch.
Maybe it will last forever.

We couldn't do much worse in terms of governance and management than we have for the past sixty or seventy years with the guys who run the NHL.

Locking the players out may well do them in.

Whatever league rises from the ashes will always want the best hockey players in the world. The players will be fine. There is a demand for their product.

The fans will be fine too. The business entities may change but eventually the players will keep on playing and the fans will pay to watch, NHL or no NHL.

Last edited by Mork: 09-18-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:32 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

What better way to show the American sports fans that we ''aren't a Busch league'' than by missing two 2 seasons out of 9.

It would make the league look like a giant joke, lose all trust with fans and sponsors, and people like me will find other interests and places to spend my money.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
Unless the NHL is going to come back with a legitimate offer, I can't see the players signing on anytime soon. They should all start playing overseas and let the owners stew in the .... they are creating. Maybe the owners start to worry next year and try to open with drafted players. If that happens I am done with the NHL forever.
... says a poster on an internet message board.

You (me, and ALL of us) will be back, no matter what happens.

and as far as overseas play, there are not enough spots available for "all" players to go there. And those that go are just taking a union job from a Euro player. The majority of players will be sitting at home losing a season of high salary - a year they can never get back.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
... says a poster on an internet message board.

You (me, and ALL of us) will be back, no matter what happens.

and as far as overseas play, there are not enough spots available for "all" players to go there. And those that go are just taking a union job from a Euro player. The majority of players will be sitting at home losing a season of high salary - a year they can never get back.
Yes, but they have to take a stand somewhere . I really think a 50-50 split would be accepted providing the decrease was allowed to be graduated so that current salaries are not slashed more than 5%. But I cannot get over the owners signing of players this summer and then asking for at least 20% back. What a joke and if I were a player I would not budge on it either.

These lockouts have taught me life goes on with or without hockey, and there is more time for family and more money in my pocket not going to games.

As for the poster stating I would go back if replacement players or newly drafted players make up a new roster, I promise you I will not be back plain and simple.

Last edited by Nolanitis: 09-18-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old
09-18-2012, 02:10 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Fugettabouit!

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

It is downright insane that the NHL has created a system where rising revenues and fan loyalty is actually bad for the long term stability of the league.

Had fans not come back so quickly after the last lockout, we probably wouldn't be in this situation.

The NHL has actually managed to create a system that makes it so that success precipitates failure.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:56 PM
JMT21

If the league moves to 50/50 under old HRR definitions AND the NHLPA permits a secret ballot where all 700 + players vote...... they'll be back on the ice toot sweet.

JMT21 is offline   Reply With Quote