Notices

Tracking the Locked Out Jets

Old
10-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Hammer Slammer
#MBMoose

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I had no idea, maybe I'll stream a game of theirs some time this weekend.

10-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Zine

vCash: 500
There's talk in Russian press that Burmistrov might join Ak Bars Kazan. He already participated in Ak Bars' training camp not long ago.
Would the Jets let him do this instead of the AHL?

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:07 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
There's talk in Russian press that Burmistrov might join Ak Bars Kazan. He already participated in Ak Bars' training camp not long ago.
Would the Jets let him do this instead of the AHL?
No - it is highly unlikely, the Jets want him developing within their system and he is playing this season in the AHL. He should probably have been developing somehwhere other than the NHL the last 2 seasons. Junior or AHL.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
No - it is highly unlikely, the Jets want him developing within their system and he is playing this season in the AHL. He should probably have been developing somehwhere other than the NHL the last 2 seasons. Junior or AHL.
He's already in st johns. I'd be surprised if he were to leave now. He seems committed to the organization and they want him in st johns

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:44 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
He's already in st johns. I'd be surprised if he were to leave now. He seems committed to the organization and they want him in st johns
He's behaving now because he knows it will help his future. He wants to be an NHL star and following his teams orders will be the safest/best way for that.

Plus better pay day when his contract is up.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:16 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Something from the rumour bin at eliteprospects.com:
10/06/2012 Rumour Eric Fehr (F) Winnipeg Jets Ilves

Old
10-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Damascus

Pavelec with pretty much another stinker yesterday. 4 goals against with a 88% save average.

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Apparently, the coach of Dinamo Minsk says Kane is out of shape.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Pavelec with pretty much another stinker yesterday. 4 goals against with a 88% save average.
C'mon Ondrej!

4th worst save percentage in the league at 0.863, and 2 of the guys below him appeared in just one game. I don't know if it's time to panic just yet, but there's no denying those are some stinky-looking numbers.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:23 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
C'mon Ondrej!

4th worst save percentage in the league at 0.863, and 2 of the guys below him appeared in just one game. I don't know if it's time to panic just yet, but there's no denying those are some stinky-looking numbers.
It goes without saying that if Drej takes a step backwards this year when the NHL starts back up again we are in trouble. IMHO he is the single most important player on our team this year. Best case scenario he is getting his bad games out of the way

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:04 PM
puck stoppa

Pavs will be fine. Nothing to worry about here. Let's not put too much stock into the stats over in Europe. In some countries defense is non existant and the goalies pay the price and in other countries there are hardly any goals due to the defensive style of play and a fwrds stats might look awfully low. On a lighter note, I heard Montoya is 20th in GAA in the Highlander winter league

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:34 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Pavs will be fine. Nothing to worry about here. Let's not put too much stock into the stats over in Europe. In some countries defense is non existant and the goalies pay the price and in other countries there are hardly any goals due to the defensive style of play and a fwrds stats might look awfully low. On a lighter note, I heard Montoya is 20th in GAA in the Highlander winter league
I thought they played a more run-and-gun style over in Europe with less emphasis on zone play. We all know how bad Ondrej is when he gets quality scoring chances against him. He's likely not used to the European style of flailing madly to make saves.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I agree it's not worth putting too much stock into, but to call a spade a spade, those numbers are indicative of some pretty freaking horrendous play.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 12:25 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I agree it's not worth putting too much stock into, but to call a spade a spade, those numbers are indicative of some pretty freaking horrendous play.

Any excuse anyone gives Pavs can be given to the all but 2 goalies above him...

but Pikke Rinne hasn't been doing that hot either which makes me feel a bit better...

Old
10-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I thought they played a more run-and-gun style over in Europe with less emphasis on zone play. We all know how bad Ondrej is when he gets quality scoring chances against him. He's likely not used to the European style of flailing madly to make saves.
Um...I guess I'll address the issues one by one.

1) "Europe" has MANY different areas where different styles are played. Finland (for one)tends to play more of a "North American" north-south grinding type of game, whereas some places like Russia tend to play more of an East-West passing type of game. Impossible to say Europe plays one style. Even that is generalizing pretty badly as different teams run different systems, same as NA. But I think you get the idea.

2) Europe is producing some of the most sound technical goalies out there nowadays. Finland in particular has been known as the goaltender factory for quite a while due to their generally strong positional play.

Eastern Europe(Russia, Czech, Slovakia), in general, tends to play more of an East-West passing game, with strong emphasis on systems and setting up plays. Less board play yes, but lots of cross-crease passes, lots of creativity. The bigger ice tends to open up this kind of game (which I find personally more entertaining, but that's another issue). But you have to be able to play the system, it's generally much more system orientated than the North American game. Instead of always needing to win one on one battles, you beat the team by working as a team more. Not necessarily run and gun (which in part could be part of Kane's early struggles).

Again though, these are generalizations but I sure wouldn't say that European's play more of a "run and gun" system, if anything I'd a team like Edmonton plays much more run and gun than any team in KHL (I've only seen like 2 Czech League games so I can't comment too much on them).

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Ok, so I gotta guess Antropov is hurt, he did not play again today.

Poni is not playing that well, but all of Donbass is pretty terrible right now, he is still playing 1st line so we'll see I suppose.

Kane has been discussed, we'll see.

Some comfort for the Pavelec issue. Here's the other NHLers in the league and the other goalie on his team. None are particularly lights out for sure.

PlayerTeamLeagueGP RECORDGAASVPSO
Ondrej Pavelec Bili Tygri Liberec CZE 6 0-6-0 4.62 .863 0
Michal Neuvirth HC Sparta Praha CZE 6 0-6-0 3.58 .900 0
Tuukka Rask Skoda Plzen HC CZE 3 2-1-0 2.86 .897 0
Marek Pinc Bili Tygri Liberec CZE 6 2-4-0 3.53 .877 0

Old
10-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Pavelec's numbers are still significantly worse than the other three...

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:27 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

Poni is not playing that well, but all of Donbass is pretty terrible right now, he is still playing 1st line so we'll see I suppose.

Some comfort for the Pavelec issue. Here's the other NHLers in the league and the other goalie on his team. None are particularly lights out for sure.

Warning/disclaimer, I am slightly dipping into the fancy stats world where a certain amount of goals against or goals for will generally equal a certain amount of wins/losses... which I'm not always into but it does paint the picture

Ya but ~3% is a big deal... just look at the number of shots Pavelec faced last season (2036) and how that translates into goals against:

SV%GAApprox Games LostApprox Games WonApprox Points
0.863 279 56 12 24
0.877 250 50 18 36
0.897 210 42 26 52
0.900 204 41 27 55
0.906 191 38 30 59
0.915 173 35 33 67
I threw in Pavs 2011 (0.906) and the NHL goalie average (0.915) for fun.

Course this doesn't split the loses and take in points for OTL and SOL and it's a large generalization, but given all other variables equal... it's quite a big deal of a difference.
But I agree, Pavelec is the only one not doing so hot... but relatively speaking he is still doing worse.

EDIT: I just noticed my quick stats work did workout similar to Pavs numbers... not bad for quick number crunching

Last edited by garret9: 10-09-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old
10-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Yeah guys I realize that .03-.04 difference in svp is really huge. The difference between leagues best starter SVP Henrik Lundqvist (.930) and the leagues worst SVP starter in Dwayne Roloson (.886) is .044. So yeah, it's a huge deal.

But my point was that it's not the other goalies are tearing it up either. All 3 NHL goalies are in bottom 3rd in every category in the Czech Extraliga. Out of 28 goalies that have played, Neuvirth is 19th, Rask is 20th, Pavelec is 25th in SVP. It does not look great, but let's give it a little more time yet.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 10-09-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old
10-09-2012, 02:44 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Yeah guys I realize that .03-.04 difference in svp is really huge. The difference between leagues best starter SVP Henrik Lundqvist (.930) and the leagues worst SVP starter in Dwayne Roloson (.886) is .044. So yeah, it's a huge deal.

But my point was that it's not the other goalies are tearing it up either. All 3 NHL goalies are in bottom 3rd in every category in the Czech Extraliga. It's not all bad. It does not look great, but let's give it a little more time yet.
Mhmm. I did agree with you on that one.

Besides, since we are all looking at a strictly statistical point, since most (if any) of us haven't watched the games, there are a LOT of variables, luck and randomness that isn't being accounted for. edit: cos of small sample size**

OT:
I mostly wanted to use this as a little test for an article I've been writing. Basically, what the Jets' players +/- would of looked like if Pav's was league avg and what our W-L-OL-PTS would of been. Looks like it has some kinks but I'll work it out.

Last edited by garret9: 10-09-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old
10-09-2012, 08:00 PM
puck stoppa

Ive played against some teams from the Czech Rep. and Slovakia and the scores are much higher than a country like Sweden. Check out that league's offensive stats (Sweden), talk about running a left wing lock all day long! If Pavs had those numbers in that league then Id be worried. Like you said, lets give them more time to see what they can do the rest of the year.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Tintin's Ghost

Just saw the TSN highlights of the Dinamo Minsk game from Tuesday. Kane took a pretty big hit then got pushed around by former NHLer Raitis Ivanans later on. On the bright side, that return flight to Winnipeg is probably looking a lot better every day.

The KHL, the bizarro world of hockey where Stapleton is the second coming of Crosby and Kane is Eric Fehr 2.0.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:40 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post

The KHL, the bizarro world of hockey where Stapleton is the second coming of Crosby and Kane is Eric Fehr 2.0.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:56 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Pinc was one of the top goalies in the Czech league last year.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 04:51 AM
albator71

I just want to point out that Liberec home ice is NHL size and so far this season the average goal per game is 5.76 in the Extraliga compare to last season 5.48.

There's a lot of real strong teams this season in CZE Extraliga will all the NHL players, Kladno, Brno, Pardubice, Trinec, Zlin and Plzen are top clubs right now.

Liberec is in 13th place and they lost their last 4 games, fans are not happy in Liberec, players seem having trouble adjusting to their new coach Marian Jelinek who used to coach Martin Straka's club Plzen.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote