HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Leafs get a better pick by having a lockout or not V.345

Old
09-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Without looking into the math or anything, I think we have just as good of a chance of getting a high draft pick whether there is a lockout for the full season as if we play hockey. Because of that, I choose play hockey and no lockout.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:38 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
I thought I read that the NBA owned a team that either won the lottery or picked very high so it can happen.
That was the New Orlenas Hornets who got the 1st pick in the 2012 NBA Draft and at one point they were owned by the NBA. However before their Draft Lottery and the Draft itself happened, they were sold to Tom Benson who also owns the New Orlenas Saints of the NFL. So no NBA team owned by the league has ever had the 1st overall pick in their Draft.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:14 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Yes, the Leafs will be awarded a top 5 pick because there is a lockout.
That's not the way they did it last time, they had a lottery and Pittsburgh got Crosby Anahiem got #2 and Bobby Ryan, Montreal droped down and got Price.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:36 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Due to the lock out there should be an auction for the picks.

The proceeds should go to revenue sharing.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:50 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
That was the New Orlenas Hornets who got the 1st pick in the 2012 NBA Draft and at one point they were owned by the NBA. However before their Draft Lottery and the Draft itself happened, they were sold to Tom Benson who also owns the New Orlenas Saints of the NFL. So no NBA team owned by the league has ever had the 1st overall pick in their Draft.
Yeah that was it. I don't give a crap about basketball but heard about it on PTS. That's when David Stern asked Jim Rome, "have you stopped beating your wife yet?" in response to Rome asking him if the draft was rigged. That's some good radio.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:02 PM
joffreyLUUPUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
I thought I read that the NBA owned a team that either won the lottery or picked very high so it can happen.

Also, the Leafs wouldn't have the best chance. They'd share that honor with a few other teams.
stern told anybody that buys the hornets we will give you the 1st pick and blam whadda you know it actually happens

joffreyLUUPUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
We have 0 chance at 1st overall because Bettman will give to the Coyotes or whoever else is on the verge of bankruptcy in the States.
hence how the Oilers won it over the Blue Jackets and other unprofitable American teams the last three years....

...oh, wait, right, that doesn't make any sense.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Due to the lock out there should be an auction for the picks.

The proceeds should go to revenue sharing.
That is by FAR the worst team in the NHL.

Old
09-16-2012, 08:17 PM
MorriPage

I was under the impression that if the entire season was wiped out, then the lottery system would work in such a way that each team is eligible to get a maximum of three lottery balls to a minimum of one lottery ball, depending on three factors: playoff appearances in the last five years, Cup championships in the last five years, and first overall picks in the last years. For every one of those eliminators that a team qualifies for, a lottery ball is removed. So a team like Toronto (and I think they're the only one) will have three balls since the Leafs haven't experienced any of those three things. Edmonton, for example, would have a ball eliminated on account of the first overall selections they've had each of the last three years, etc.

I could be wrong on how this all works though. I could have sworn I'd read this somewhere though.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
That is by FAR the worst team in the NHL.
You think it would be worse than 2nd. worst?

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:45 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
That's not the way they did it last time, they had a lottery and Pittsburgh got Crosby Anahiem got #2 and Bobby Ryan, Montreal droped down and got Price.
Montreal actually went up to 5th overall and that's how they got to select Carey Price.

It was the Rangers who had one of the best chances to get 1st overall and dropped.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You think it would be worse than 2nd. worst?
Yes. As I said, it would be by FAR the worst team in the league with little to no potential to get any better.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Question

If Leafs end up with 2nd overall

Nathan is gone to whomever

Seth Jones next ranked and yet again a Dman, do we draft him?? And then what is any move after that given we have Percy, Blacker, Finn, Rielly all near term

It might be a realistic scenario

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:16 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
hence how the Oilers won it over the Blue Jackets and other unprofitable American teams the last three years....

...oh, wait, right, that doesn't make any sense.
Wasn't after a lockout was it? There you go.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:22 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
I was under the impression that if the entire season was wiped out, then the lottery system would work in such a way that each team is eligible to get a maximum of three lottery balls to a minimum of one lottery ball, depending on three factors: playoff appearances in the last five years, Cup championships in the last five years, and first overall picks in the last years. For every one of those eliminators that a team qualifies for, a lottery ball is removed. So a team like Toronto (and I think they're the only one) will have three balls since the Leafs haven't experienced any of those three things. Edmonton, for example, would have a ball eliminated on account of the first overall selections they've had each of the last three years, etc.

I could be wrong on how this all works though. I could have sworn I'd read this somewhere though.
That was the method that was used in 2005. However, I believe that how all these things are handled is a part of the settlement and are negotiated between the NHL and NHLPA, so they might end up using a completely different system if a full-season lockout were to occur again.

However, I would suggest not worrying about what happens in the case of a full-season lockout until there is one. And based on 2004-05, they're not likely to decided to cancel the whole season until mid-February. If the lockout does not last a full season, things like draft position will be determined normally (barring any changes in the procedure negotiated in the new CBA).

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:06 PM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Question

Seth Jones next ranked and yet again a Dman, do we draft him?? And then what is any move after that given we have Percy, Blacker, Finn, Rielly all near term

hell yes you draft him

we can always flip our organizational depth at D to fill other holes

always draft BPA and go from there

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Wasn't after a lockout was it? There you go.
Does it matter? If people want to cry foul play on the NHL for rigging drafts, why would the NHL shaft CBJ, a team desperately in need of that potential superstar first overall?

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:48 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Does it matter? If people want to cry foul play on the NHL for rigging drafts, why would the NHL shaft CBJ, a team desperately in need of that potential superstar first overall?
Process is different.

Old
09-17-2012, 06:49 PM
mapes

Quote:
The 1st round picks Columbus has from the Rangers and Kings won't increase their chances of getting the 1st overall pick. The NHL would go by the Rangers and Kings records from the 2011-2012 season, so chances are those picks are between 25th - 30th overall.
Not really. A lot of teams only have 1 and the Jackets really get 5 balls. They have a 10 percent chance.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:55 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Not really. A lot of teams only have 1 and the Jackets really get 5 balls. They have a 10 percent chance.
Chances are the Blue Jackets would win the 1st overall pick with one of their original 3 balls. So I think the chances of winning it with the Rangers or Kings 1st round pick is very slim based on their records from 2011-2012. In any Draft when a team trades for a 1st round pick that pick is based upon where the team trading the pick finishes in the standings or playoffs. You would think the Rangers and Kings picks would end up between 25th - 30th for the Blue Jackets.

Old
09-17-2012, 07:07 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=15652

30 second mark....bent corner of the envelope...Bobs your uncle

Old
09-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Kibago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
Bettman would be smart enough to tread very carefully in regards to the lottery draw. If the Coyotes "were picked" for 1st overall, then he would not escape the wrath from both fans and media outfits alike and would ineveitably be forced to resign as people aren't that stupid to put 2 and 2 together.
it basically just happened in the NBA, where #1 picks matter so much more. people were suspicious. people complained. nothing happened. i don't believe sports leagues are rigged, but i definitely now believe they're capable of getting away with it.

as for the Leafs, under the old lockout lotto system we wouldn't benefit much, but one with a bigger reward for bad teams over the last 3-5 seasons would be huge for us.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:25 PM
BlueBaron

I am going to be radically different and say we have a better chance at first at 6% with the lockout then if we played the season because I believe our team will improve. Even if Burke made no further changes experience and a solid penalty killing center suggests we will improve considering how young our team is.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
It was still rigged. I bet that was one of the stipulations by Benson was that you give me the 1st overall pick or I walk away. C'mon now.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:42 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Question

Sean Monahan. He's going to be something.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote