HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not buying any tickets this year!

Old
09-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

vCash: 500
Not buying any tickets this year!

This fan has spoken.

want more lockouts? do the opposite.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:33 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

You can't buy tickets this year though...

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Yokai

vCash: 966
Big market team like Toronto/Philly/New York I'm sure this approach would work. Small market team like Ottawa would lose the team if everyone was to follow your advice. Yeah the lockout is annoying, but in all reality I can find other things to do with my time, and when the Sens are back I'll be right back with them.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

In the words of my Grade 9 Math teacher:

"I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone who cares"

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Big market team like Toronto/Philly/New York I'm sure this approach would work. Small market team like Ottawa would lose the team if everyone was to follow your advice. Yeah the lockout is annoying, but in all reality I can find other things to do with my time, and when the Sens are back I'll be right back with them.
every fanbase needs to do this.
saying you'll be right back with them is great support but puts no pressure on anyone to move it forward.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:58 PM
The Fuhr*

I'll just watch the AHL till the NHL comes back... its not a big deal if there is no NHL for a few months.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
I'll just watch the AHL till the NHL comes back... its not a big deal if there is no NHL for a few months.
It's much harder to get to live games and the television / online feeds (although better than nothing) really suck. Nothing like sports in good old HD!

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
It's much harder to get to live games and the television / online feeds (although better than nothing) really suck. Nothing like sports in good old HD!
I can go to Bulldog games and im in driving distance of a bunch of OHL teams.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

You do realize that we haven't even lost a single exhibition game yet don't you?

I'm sympathetic with anyone who wants to protest against an NHL lockout but I'd prefer we all wait until we've actually been impacted to get indignant.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

If we stop going to games then the Senators could be forced to relocate.

It's the nature of the beast.

Besides the players are entirely to blame for this: the NHL has been asking the PA to start talking in Novembre 2011.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:05 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
*twitch* This...

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Inf4mous0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
You can't buy tickets this year though...

Like others have said, Ottawa couldn't handle people not going. I'd rather keep the team than try some sort of protest when we actually have them back playing...

Inf4mous0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:15 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

Ottawa isn't at the root of the problem either...is there anyone that thinks Melnyk agrees with the work stoppage? Hardly. Eugene has a budget and will stick to it, even if other owners can't control themselves and this lack of control is causing the lockout.

Ottawa isn't the problem. It's the model of solution that all NHL clubs should be using.

sens4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
Ottawa isn't at the root of the problem either...is there anyone that thinks Melnyk agrees with the work stoppage? Hardly. Eugene has a budget and will stick to it, even if other owners can't control themselves and this lack of control is causing the lockout.

Ottawa isn't the problem. It's the model of solution that all NHL clubs should be using.
Melnyk (and every other owner) voted yes to the work stoppage, so yes they agree with it. Maybe they don't deep down but its the vote that counts.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
every fanbase needs to do this.
saying you'll be right back with them is great support but puts no pressure on anyone to move it forward.
You're talking to the masses, people in general are going to accept whatever the deciders tell them to do. They know how to use pressure means, but we sure shouldn't do the same!

There was a time when people used to fight for their rights and liberty. Now people are sitting on their big arses in comfort and luxury

That being said, not buying tickets to Sens games (or any other small market) hurt the team more than anything else. We'd need big markets to boycott their team (like Montreal, Toronto, New York, Philly, Boston...) but go tell them... it's likely impossible to reach everyone and I know there will be 21 273 people at the first Bell Center game this year.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 09-17-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:09 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Melnyk (and every other owner) voted yes to the work stoppage, so yes they agree with it. Maybe they don't deep down but its the vote that counts.
well, of course every owner signed up to show solidarity, but if I were Melnyk, I'd be peeved that due to some owners not being able to keep it in their pants, he's suffering....

Old
09-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Smash88

Like everyone else said, it's basically impossible that a boycott of tickets would work.

But if we can start the Alfie chant through message boards, could we not try to organize some kind of protest at each home opener, whenever it is?

I have no clue what could be done or said, but if it was the same message in all NHL arenas, I think it could be a pretty powerful statement...

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:16 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Like everyone else said, it's basically impossible that a boycott of tickets would work.

But if we can start the Alfie chant through message boards, could we not try to organize some kind of protest at each home opener, whenever it is?

I have no clue what could be done or said, but if it was the same message in all NHL arenas, I think it could be a pretty powerful statement...
The message isn't supposed to be delivered at the home opener...it's to be delivered now...i think most fans, whether they come back or not, want their voices to be heard and be part of a larger voice that the NHL fans represent...someone needs to bring everyone together...

Old
09-17-2012, 11:29 AM
tony d
The Future

I see a lot of fans doing this but it won't work. Once the game comes back so will the fans.

09-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Rals

I just bought 67s season ticket

Rals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
The message isn't supposed to be delivered at the home opener...it's to be delivered now...i think most fans, whether they come back or not, want their voices to be heard and be part of a larger voice that the NHL fans represent...someone needs to bring everyone together...
A message now won't be heard... If 20,000 people in every arena on national broadcasts are saying something it will be heard.

Either way, the fan has no pull in this anyhow, but we can cause an the league a little bit of a headache if they constantly have to answer questions about fan demos at the games...

Old
09-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I'm gonna start using my left hand.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:35 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
A message now won't be heard... If 20,000 people in every arena on national broadcasts are saying something it will be heard.

Either way, the fan has no pull in this anyhow, but we can cause an the league a little bit of a headache if they constantly have to answer questions about fan demos at the games...
If 20,000 people are not heard, because they won't be there, that is what would be effective. I think that is the best thing NHL fans could do, boycott the first game back.

That won't hurt the players, just the owners who got everything they wanted last time they had a lock-out, and now want more. I go to games to watch hockey players, not dorks in suits carrying briefcases.

That is the only power fans have, and a one game boycott would send a message where it would be felt the most.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
If 20,000 people are not heard, because they won't be there, that is what would be effective. I think that is the best thing NHL fans could do, boycott the first game back.

That won't hurt the players, just the owners who got everything they wanted last time they had a lock-out, and now want more. I go to games to watch hockey players, not dorks in suits carrying briefcases.

That is the only power fans have, and a one game boycott would send a message where it would be felt the most.
That would be ideal, but next to impossible... People will go no matter what, no one can stop them..

Old
09-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
If we stop going to games then the Senators could be forced to relocate.

It's the nature of the beast.

Besides the players are entirely to blame for this: the NHL has been asking the PA to start talking in Novembre 2011.
Quote:
We're not re-locating. That ship sailed with the Bryden Bowls. Melnyk himself said that attendance would have to drop precipitously for that to happen and guess what, the team now has enough young fans that will attend games through thick and thin that the team can survive a year-long lockout. Season tickets will erod but the passionate young fans will fill the blanks.

Source:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...ling-senators/

You know what, they’re absolutely dead on — if you put me into the movie Wizard of Oz next to Dorothy while she’s clicking her heels.

“They’re out of their minds. That team will never be sold,” Melnyk said by telephone from his Barbados home.

"It would have to get to the point of one of these other teams (Phoenix, Atlanta), where nobody really gives a damn,” he said. “There’s not a chance that’s going to happen, I think, in my lifetime, in Ottawa. The fans are too loyal, too crazy. They’re going nuts. They’re driving me crazy.”

We're fine, just wait it out and get tickets when and if you want them. The team is in good shape.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote