HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Detroit Need Edler?

Old
09-16-2012, 02:50 PM
GretzkysOffice

vCash: 500
Does Detroit Need Edler?

We heard Shane Doan re-signing with the Coyotes on Friday ahead of the deadline.
We heard Alex Burrows getting an extension with the Canucks.
We didn't hear from Edler signing an extension with the Canucks.

This got some of us concerned that maybe something else is in the works in the background.

Possibly a trade.

Would the Red Wings need him? If so, what would he fetch from your team?

Another possibility would be the Flyers since Pronger doesn't seem to be coming back. I wonder what Edler would fetch from them.

GretzkysOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:55 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Holland wont trade for him.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Nyquist

I would love to have him. Vancouver has a pretty weak farm so I think they would want some prospects to be included. Maybe Tatar and Mursak since they've been passed by Nyquist and Jarnkrok here. We really need another top pairing dmen since Smith probably won't be that right away.

Nyquist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:36 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 494
We don't have the assets to make a trade for a guy like Edler. Sideways move.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Anchor Town

Lol why would they trade Edler to us for middle of the road prospects. We want Edler? They'd want Smith + Jarnkrok + 1st

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Lol why would they trade Edler to us for middle of the road prospects. We want Edler? They'd want Smith + Jarnkrok + 1st
If you were referring to me, I was just suggesting some guys we could include. Not just Tatar and Mursak for him.

Nyquist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
He's on the last year of his contact (which could be partially burned off by a lockout) and if he doesn't intend to re-sign then no way they get that kind of return.

That said, Vancouver will try to re-sign him. If Edler leaves Vancouver, it's because Edler wants to leave Vancouver.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:45 PM
jroc86

We wont trade for Edler. Im glad he didnt resign a before the CBA expires - that at least gives some chance that hell hit UFA next summer.

Edler is still pretty raw and goes through some pretty bad slumps defensivley at times and his physical compete level comes and goes too. That said - hes shoots like 105mph, skates pretty well, and has size and offensive instincts. Given our locker room and the fact he probably knows Det wanted him originally I think we'd be a team on his shortlist to give long consideration should be become a free agent.

Vancouvers fanbase is so ignorant - hes been scapegoated bigtime for allot of their failures. I'd like to see him have a disappointing year this season so he explores his options next July.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
We wont trade for Edler. Im glad he didnt resign a before the CBA expires - that at least gives some chance that hell hit UFA next summer.

Edler is still pretty raw and goes through some pretty bad slumps defensivley at times and his physical compete level comes and goes too. That said - hes shoots like 105mph, skates pretty well, and has size and offensive instincts. Given our locker room and the fact he probably knows Det wanted him originally I think we'd be a team on his shortlist to give long consideration should be become a free agent.

Vancouvers fanbase is so ignorant - hes been scapegoated bigtime for allot of their failures. I'd like to see him have a disappointing year this season so he explores his options next July.
I think the fans are stupid about him, but not Vancouver management. He's still their best defender and they know it.

Sort of like how people here get frustrated that Kronwall isn't Lidstrom or Pronger, but everybody objectively knows he's the best we have and you don't move guys like that unless your hand is forced.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:08 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Ken Holland doesn't do trades

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:02 PM
snailderby

Would we like to have him? Sure. Are we going to trade for him? No, I don't think so.

For what it's worth, however, IF Holland were to trade for Edler, I think he would prefer to offload some of our forwards for Edler rather than give up any of our existing defensemen or D-man prospects. Right now we have 16 forwards and only 7 defensemen on our roster. In addition, most of our best prospects (Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan) are forwards. (See http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1260395.)

snailderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Not even that they want useful roster players and prospects. You want Edler, Filppula/Franzen one of our NHL d-man (except Kronwall) and a mid-tier prospect, I am assuming we would get the right to extend him before making the trade. If not Edler's return is tricky. But the point is the Canucks are a contender they want things that help them contend. Maybe we do an all UFA trade. Filppula and White for Edler. Steep right? But that is likely what Vancouver would want or Filppula plus a pick we are adding on Filppula. I don't think Edler is a much better asset than Filppula just in terms of how I feel about each player, but the reality is he probably would bring back the plus and Vancouver would need an NHL ready d-man to make that trade and one that could play useful minutes think White or Quincey. We wouldn't throw Smith in and they probably wouldn't want Kindl.

It is unlikely they will offer him a contract if he hits UFA. But to be honest Edler is going to get 6 million per on the open market depending on where the CBA goes but probably still a huge chunk of change. I am not sure Holland will make a competitive enough offer, Edler would have to want to come here over other places in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:41 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Not for what he'd cost in a trade. Try for him in UFA.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:35 PM
pdd

I would expect we'd be giving up Filppula/Franzen, Quincey/Kindl, and a 1st/2nd for Edler.

Franzen, Quincey, and a 1st is a deal I'd be happy with assuming Edler signs an extension. I'd be even happier with the 2nd. Especially if Holland can turn around and trade for or sign a goal-scorer to replace Franzen.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:56 PM
jroc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
I would expect we'd be giving up Filppula/Franzen, Quincey/Kindl, and a 1st/2nd for Edler.

Franzen, Quincey, and a 1st is a deal I'd be happy with assuming Edler signs an extension. I'd be even happier with the 2nd. Especially if Holland can turn around and trade for or sign a goal-scorer to replace Franzen.
If Brunner or Nyquist can stick in the top 6 it would certainly make losing Filp or Franzen less of a blow. If we made this trade, extended Edler then picked up Corey Perry (longshot I know but concensus around Ducks board is he's gone next summer - Dets close to his hometown and him and Babcock had a good repoire @ the 2010 Olympics) we'd be sitting pretty unreal for 13/14.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:12 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
If Brunner or Nyquist can stick in the top 6 it would certainly make losing Filp or Franzen less of a blow. If we made this trade, extended Edler then picked up Corey Perry (longshot I know but concensus around Ducks board is he's gone next summer - Dets close to his hometown and him and Babcock had a good repoire @ the 2010 Olympics) we'd be sitting pretty unreal for 13/14.
Perry would't want to be a Wing; he's too scared of Datsyuk...

Seriously, even though I think Perry's a b****, I would take him. I'd rather Ryan but Perry is a high end PF.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:22 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 494
Oh guys come on.

Perry is even bigger stretch than Edler.

Lucic just got 6 mil, Wideman over 5 David Jones got 4 mil. How much do you think Rocket Richard winner is going to demand? I think 8mil(+).

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Ken Holland doesn't do trades
Yes. He signs Edler from free agency at next summer.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:59 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Because that plan worked so very well for Suter. And Weber. And every other D we have coveted who was a soon to be UFA.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Doesn't matter because:

1. We aren't willing to offer enough assets to make a trade like this happen.
2. If he hits UFA we aren't willing to offer the money it would take to beat other teams.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:37 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Only way Edler ends up in Detroit is if no other team bids on him.

Kenny probably already has his press release all typed up. "price was too high". That six million cap space must be saved for Jordan tootoo and his life time contract. You only get a player in today's NHL by overpaying. It only takes one moron to upset the apple cart and unfortunately there are a ton of morons.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Only way Edler ends up in Detroit is if no other team bids on him.

Kenny probably already has his press release all typed up. "price was too high". That six million cap space must be saved for Jordan tootoo and his life time contract. You only get a player in today's NHL by overpaying. It only takes one moron to upset the apple cart and unfortunately there are a ton of morons.
I'm pretty sure Holland attempted to spend quite a bit on Suter. I would call what Holland offered him as close to an overpayment as they come. If Edler is a good enough defenseman, Holland will have an aggressive bid on him.

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Thats My Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleftlx View Post
I'm pretty sure Holland attempted to spend quite a bit on Suter. I would call what Holland offered him as close to an overpayment as they come. If Edler is a good enough defenseman, Holland will have an aggressive bid on him.
Someone will have to help me out because I can't find the article. But Holland originally "lowballed" his offer for Suter and had to raise his offer in order to be competitive with other teams trying to sign him.

I don't think Holland will be as aggressive as other teams in trying to sign Edler. And when he does decide to be aggressive, it may be too late.

Thats My Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:07 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats My Hat View Post
Someone will have to help me out because I can't find the article. But Holland originally "lowballed" his offer for Suter and had to raise his offer in order to be competitive with other teams trying to sign him.

I don't think Holland will be as aggressive as other teams in trying to sign Edler. And when he does decide to be aggressive, it may be too late.
12 years 80 million was the first offer if I remember right.

I think his original offer from Minnesota was smaller than the one he signed, might have been our last offer if I remember right they started at 90 million and we finished there.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:51 AM
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
It's scary that 80 million over 12 years is a lowball offer, haha. I think you guys should also consider the contract Rafalski signed with Detroit in '07. That was definitely not a low ball offer at the time. I dunno. Holland does like to bid low, but he also seems to know how to make a big splash from time to time. If Edler is a guy he wants, I think he'll do everything he can to make that happen. I think he ended up doing everything he could to make Suter happen, and it just failed. I also don't really think he was prepared to fail on that one, which makes me hope he learned a lesson there...

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote