HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Potvin sucks!" - Keep it, change it, or get rid of it?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the "Potvin sucks" chant?
Keep the chant the same 64 48.48%
Change the chant to another name (Bettman, Marty, etc.) 25 18.94%
Get rid of it entirely 31 23.48%
I don't care 12 9.09%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
Maybe we should stop singing the national anthem before the games? Half the people are lip syncing and don't even know the words.

Maybe stop the traditional hand shake after a playoff series concludes?

There are hockey traditions and there are team traditions.

POTVIN SUCKS !! is OUR tradition. It stays as it should because OURS.

The only thing i liked about Jagr's stay with the rangers is that he really started the center ice salute to the fans after every home game/win.

Which now other teams in the nhl are stealing from us.
Jagr didn't start ****. That was Kaspar.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:43 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Keep it forever.

Fathers should be teaching their children what a cheap shot bum he was.

(I did!)
Bingo.

People think we do the chant solely for the Nilsson hit.

Nope. Potvin on and off the ice is and always has been an incredible trouser stain. He's a whiny, cocky, arrogant skid mark. To put it in modern day terms, he was a combination of Scott Stevens, Sidney Crosby, marty Brodeur and Patrick Kaleta every stinking night.

It amazes how people have no grasp about how intense the Isles-Rangers rivalry was. It's funny...we read books about Omaha Beach and William Wallace to understand the ferocity of battle, yet Rangers fans are too friggin lazy to plunk down a couple of bucks to read books and watch clasic games on NHL Vault to get an idea as to why the Rangers and Isles was the greatest rivalry in the sport for over a decade -- better than Montreal-Boston. Better than Chicago-Detroit.

Screw Potvin. He's just a turd. Listen to him on the radio every now and then. You should have heard him during the Ottawa series.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:02 AM
NYRangers77

Keep it, its been around for too long. I do think we need another one similar. Someone mentioned "bettman sucks", this is great. Also maybe the visiting teams star can get one or two of these a game. Devils do this with "Rangers suck" like 3 times a period so many we can give them some of the same respect.

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:23 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Great at for Islander games, but that's it.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
Great at for Islander games, but that's it.
I totally disagree. The reason the Potvin Sucks chant is so great is that it has been chanted at every game for the last 30 years.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Joe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
It wouldn't be such a nuisance if you only had to hear it once a game...

At this point I have no attachment to the chant and wouldn't care if it was done away with. I just don't want to hear it three, four, or five times when I'm at the game...
Agree, once a game for tradition is OK. But it gets out of hand.

Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:41 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
Definitely Keep it!
The chant is over 30 years old but it is a tradition. What I don,t find surprising is that the majority of the fans who want it phased out were not even born in 1979.
I was lucky to be a teenager in 1979 but that being said it is a tradition that has been around for 1979 and is part of the character of our team and it,s fans so Let,s Keep It!
I wasn't born until quite a while after 1979 and I love the chant. I remember going to my first NYR game and hearing it and asking my brother what everyone was doing. The next time I heard the whistle I chanted with everyone and felt like I was in on a garden tradition even though I was a young noob. If anything, I think hockey arenas, especially those with the history of MSG, should have more traditions like this. It feels good to validate the history even if you didn't experience it.

As for those saying hearing it more than once a game is a problem - that's a first world problem if I've ever heard one. Be grateful that your team has a rich history.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Bingo.

People think we do the chant solely for the Nilsson hit.

Nope. Potvin on and off the ice is and always has been an incredible trouser stain. He's a whiny, cocky, arrogant skid mark. To put it in modern day terms, he was a combination of Scott Stevens, Sidney Crosby, marty Brodeur and Patrick Kaleta every stinking night.

It amazes how people have no grasp about how intense the Isles-Rangers rivalry was. It's funny...we read books about Omaha Beach and William Wallace to understand the ferocity of battle, yet Rangers fans are too friggin lazy to plunk down a couple of bucks to read books and watch clasic games on NHL Vault to get an idea as to why the Rangers and Isles was the greatest rivalry in the sport for over a decade -- better than Montreal-Boston. Better than Chicago-Detroit.

Screw Potvin. He's just a turd. Listen to him on the radio every now and then. You should have heard him during the Ottawa series.

We can end this thread now.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

I like Potvin sucks way better than the stupid you suck chant the debbie fans use..

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I love it. I only remember seeing him as a kid, but even back then I hated him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:49 PM
duffpm1

The chant is old and annoying...Traditions change...time moves on...Keeping the change keeps Potvin relevant in the ears of the people who otherwise couldnt care less if he existed...end the chant, you end Potvin's relevance to anything with the Rangers (note: its ok to do the chant while he's in the building though)..I am starting to like the Alfredsson inspired chant...
Potvin is an old man. New eras need new and creative chants. EPL shows chants the way it should be done

duffpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Maybe we should stop singing the national anthem before the games? Half the people are lip syncing and don't even know the words.

Maybe stop the traditional hand shake after a playoff series concludes?

There are hockey traditions and there are team traditions.

POTVIN SUCKS !! is OUR tradition. It stays as it should because OURS.

The only thing i liked about Jagr's stay with the rangers is that he really started the center ice salute to the fans after every home game/win.

Which now other teams in the nhl are stealing from us.
Hyperbole.

"Potvin sucks" is not even remotely comparable to singing the National Anthem or SPORTSMANSHIP promoting gestures like handshakes. Nice stretch though.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffpm1 View Post
The chant is old and annoying...Traditions change...time moves on...Keeping the change keeps Potvin relevant in the ears of the people who otherwise couldnt care less if he existed...end the chant, you end Potvin's relevance to anything with the Rangers (note: its ok to do the chant while he's in the building though)..I am starting to like the Alfredsson inspired chant...
Potvin is an old man. New eras need new and creative chants. EPL shows chants the way it should be done
So copying Ottawa's alfie chant is better than the Potvin Sucks one?

Ok...

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
The "Potvin sucks" chant has been around since 1979. I personally think that it needs to either be done away with or modified. I like the idea of keeping the tradition but many fans weren't even alive in 1979. I think when the season finally starts up we should give Bettman this "honor." "Bettman sucks" even sounds similar. Same amount of syllables. Considering Bettman now has 4 lockouts under his belt, I don't think it would ever get old bashing him, unlike the Potvin chant. So sign me up for that.

How do you feel about the "Potvin sucks" chant?
The bolded is a beautifully ironic statement.

Id venture to say that all of the people who bash the Potvin chants suck are newer fans that started following the team within the last 10 years, and dont understand the Rangers/Islanders rivalries of 70's/80's/ and even the start of the 90's. I'd also venture to say a high % of those people havent taken the time to delve into the story in 1979 that started the Potvin sucks chant.

"Bettman sucks?" Thats as unoriginal as it comes. Anyone in any NHL arena can chant that. The Potvin sucks chant is anchored in history, and the byproduct of what once was an intense rivalry. Im not going to support changing it just cause its 33 years old.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffpm1 View Post
Traditions dont change. Staying original is the very essence of a tradition.

That Alfredsson chant is good - you feel comfortable with stealing it from another team and calling it your own? Thats weak.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:30 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
The "Potvin sucks" chant has been around since 1979. I personally think that it needs to either be done away with or modified. I like the idea of keeping the tradition but many fans weren't even alive in 1979. I think when the season finally starts up we should give Bettman this "honor." "Bettman sucks" even sounds similar. Same amount of syllables. Considering Bettman now has 4 lockouts under his belt, I don't think it would ever get old bashing him, unlike the Potvin chant. So sign me up for that.

How do you feel about the "Potvin sucks" chant?
I was born in 98 and became a fan in 09. I think that we should keep the chant because it is tradition. The devil fans do the you suck thing if they are down 5-1 because it is their tradition.

P.S. Bettman has 3 lockouts not 4.

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:01 PM
duffpm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Traditions dont change. Staying original is the very essence of a tradition.

That Alfredsson chant is good - you feel comfortable with stealing it from another team and calling it your own? Thats weak.
It was pretty creative to flip it on ottawa. I meant it more of an example..i am saying the whole potvin era is done...NY'ers are supposed to be smarter fans and more creative...prove it..come up with something for new enemy #1 Crosby or Chris Neal, or someone who is on the ice, ok, someone at least active?

What does chanting potvin sucks have to do with the columbus blue jackets or even philly?

btw, I didnt realize the potvin chant goes back to the original 6!

duffpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'd like to submit this thread as People's Exhibit A as to why the lockout needs to end. And soon.

09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Keep it forever.

Fathers should be teaching their children what a cheap shot bum he was.

(I did!)
As I taught my nieces and nephews--not everyone goes to games with only their fathers (I certainly didn't growing up--went with my parents separately and one of my grandfathers). Anyway, I was going to games long before Potvin was the NHL.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'd like to submit this thread as People's Exhibit A as to why the lockout needs to end. And soon.
Come on SBOB, lockout or not, this thread pops up once or twice a season. If anything it was past due.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

it should be changed to "potvin sucks AND swallows"

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Jagr didn't start ****. That was Kaspar.
Actually it was the combination of Jagr and Nylander.

Kasper just happened to be there following because that was the only time his ice presence was significant.

Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:55 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Ah, my biggest fan.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Actually it was the combination of Jagr and Nylander.

Kasper just happened to be there following because that was the only time his ice presence was significant.

I heard that Kaspar wanted to start the salute, but in a microcosm of his Ranger career, he was distracted by the opposition headed to the locker room and needlessly left his position to throw a hit.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:05 PM
NewYorkStranger

If enough people start to think the chant is stupid, the chant will die. Apparently though a bunch of people like it, so it's staying until they decide they don't want to do it anymore. If you don't like it, just simply don't participate and keep watching the game. Does hearing "Potvin Sucks" make the experience of a hockey game intolerable to you? If it does I suggest bringing an IPod and putting it in your ears, blasting your favorite song when you hear the whistling.

Basically, 0 cares.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote