HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

"Potvin sucks!" - Keep it, change it, or get rid of it?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the "Potvin sucks" chant?
Keep the chant the same 64 48.48%
Change the chant to another name (Bettman, Marty, etc.) 25 18.94%
Get rid of it entirely 31 23.48%
I don't care 12 9.09%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-18-2012, 11:31 PM
petejudge

vCash: 500
you either keep the chant or you lose it, no changing it. i doubt it will ever die out, not anytime soon at least.

im too young to have seen potvin suck in person, but i know that he sucks and i know why he sucks. potvin will always suck.

the only time it's ever out of hand is when it doesn't stop....i've heard it ~10 times at some games. it's good once or twice, don't overdo it.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:32 AM
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star

What I'd really like to know is why the chant seems to bug some people so much!

I wasn't around then but I always thought a chant that pertains to nothing on ice but instead to organizational history is a really cool thing. U feel dumb for chanting something that isn't on ice? it's honoring a tradition!

Isn't a good feeling to know that a chant we might come up today might live on for 30 years (in spite of the select few who want to kill it and prefer only something current)?

I read not too long ago that Potvin, enemy of the fanbase, is bugged by it. Mission accomplished. Even sweeter!

messierjagrlundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Giacomin

I read not too long ago that Potvin, enemy of the fanbase, is bugged by it. Mission accomplished. Even sweeter! [/QUOTE]

Exactly! If you were around when that weasel Potvin played you would have thought the Potvin Sucks chant was tame. After Potvin had some domestic issues we all used to sing "Beat your wife Potvin, beat your wife" at Rangers games.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Fanned On It

I kind of shamefully agree that I feel like the chant makes us sound like retards.. but that's just like, my opinion, man.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

I have met the guy more than once, he played in Sr. leagues down here with/against a few times 14 years ago and man is he grade A smug Dbag, F him.

I think the people that are bugged by the chant and want to get rid of it, are f-ing retards.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by messierjagrlundqvist View Post

I wasn't around then but I always thought a chant that pertains to nothing on ice but instead to organizational history is a really cool thing. U feel dumb for chanting something that isn't on ice? it's honoring a tradition!

Isn't a good feeling to know that a chant we might come up today might live on for 30 years (in spite of the select few who want to kill it and prefer only something current)?

I read not too long ago that Potvin, enemy of the fanbase, is bugged by it. Mission accomplished. Even sweeter!
As I said back on the first page, (I voted to) Keep it. Now that I know Potvin is bugged by it, I might finally learn how to whistle so I can start the chant. If ya don't like it, don't do it.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by messierjagrlundqvist View Post

Familiar with the concept of overdoing something? Use an expression too frequently and it gets old and played out; tiresome.

There are nights at the Garden where you hear the chance 2 or 3x in the same period. 4 or 5 times during a single game. It's being overdone by the fans in attendance. Too many people looking to get credit for initiating the chant. It's getting played out because it's being done too frequently.

I'm not sure if you go to games and witness this first-hand, it would be hard to pick up on this from the MSG broadcast due to how they lower or drown out the crowd noise/feedback in the arena during the broadcast.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:30 AM
bernmeister

Keep.

I don't believe in tradition exclusively for sake of tradition.
This piece of history, however, is worth keeping.

Potvin good but overrated. Fair critique.

Brad Park was the real great D in NY during that era, til that idiot Cat Francis traded him and Ratelle......

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:18 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
idc....really are the Isles even a relevant team anymore? Wang has pretty much destroyed the franchise and made them a complete sham.

....oh but the young talent in their system.

Yeah but they don't put money into anything, including developing prospects so they're poor at doing that. If any do turn out to be decent they'll want to be paid and with the exception of Tavares, who overtook Alexi Yashin for the current highest paid Islander, will be moved out for new cheaper labor. I mean really, for how long was Yashin the highest paid Islander and he wasn't even playing for them.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
It is tradition, you do not change tradition

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

Keep it. "Potvin Sucks" is a constant at any game at MSG when the Rangers play.

For added alliterative appeal, we could append it immediately after with:

Quote:
"Bettman Blows!!!"

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:44 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Yes, Potvin is a jerk, and yes, it was fun to say when I was a kid, but now I feel differently about it.

To start, the Islanders are terrible, and it doesn't feel the same.

Most importantly, although Potvin's cheapshot blew our chances that year, I still feel that the chant is a great example of "sour grapes" turned tradition.

The Islanders, at that time, were destined to become an excellent team, and we had to stand and watch them win all of those cups while we waited with the curse.

The chant "1940" still burns in my ears, but, besides heated Ranger/Islander games, I'm voting Potvin's sucks to go.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
Yes, Potvin is a jerk, and yes, it was fun to say when I was a kid, but now I feel differently about it.

To start, the Islanders are terrible, and it doesn't feel the same.

Most importantly, although Potvin's cheapshot blew our chances that year, I still feel that the chant is a great example of "sour grapes" turned tradition.

The Islanders, at that time, were destined to become an excellent team, and we had to stand and watch them win all of those cups while we waited with the curse.

The chant "1940" still burns in my ears, but, besides heated Ranger/Islander games, I'm voting Potvin's sucks to go.
Exactly.. it makes no god damn sense to use the chant when we're not playing the Islanders, and even then...

Keep for Islanders games, lose it for the rest. I wouldn't even mind it during non-Islander games if there were some sort of unwritten rule that we would only do it one time.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:26 PM
chosen

The only time I ever cringed at a Rangers game was when the Flyers goaltender died in a car crash in his porsched, and at the very next game, the chant became, "Buy a Porsche, Potvin, buy a Porsche."

It was both pathetic and wonderful.

Then there was "Bossy takes it up the a##, so does Trottier".

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Don't forget "Beat your wife Potvin, Beat your wife!"

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 03:30 PM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

vCash: 50
A tradition is a tradition. It won't just go away. There will always be some guy(s) drunk enough to do the whistle, no matter the opponent.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:19 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
If u wana go to MSG and tell every person their not allowed to do a three word chant anymore because a pole on a hockey website said so be my guest.
3 words? haha

oh boy

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:11 AM
n_a_c

Two things have been repeated in this thread:

People for the chant: you should keep tradition

People against it: it is repeated too often.

I agree with both. I rarely go to games, but I LOVE to hear the whistles and the chant. I think it is 100% awesome. The first time I heard it as a kid, I remember being spooked out and then thrilled. I LOVE that it is repeated regardless of the opponent. It is regarding an event 33 years ago, and the guy and team he played for could be 3000 miles away, yet we chant it every game. AWESOME!

BUT, I wish there were more traditional chants like it. If there were, we'd probably hear less Potvin sucks.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

It is repeated too often and at stupid moments.

I also don't like it because I really dislike negativity in these things. I'd much rather cheer for my team and my players than cheer against opponents and their players.

However, it's tradition and as such, I'm fine leaving it there.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:37 PM
wafflepadsave

Never had the priviledge of being in MSG and would love to some day. But something more relevant that would be appropriate no matter who the rangers were playing.
" Bettman Sucks" just seems to be trending with fans,players and probably a few owners!

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
Never had the priviledge of being in MSG and would love to some day. But something more relevant that would be appropriate no matter who the rangers were playing.
" Bettman Sucks" just seems to be trending with fans,players and probably a few owners!
As someone who has regularly gone to Rangers games since 1973 The Potvin Sucks chant is 100X more relavant than Bettman Sucks. At the time of the "Potvin-Nilsson Incident" the Rangers were working on a 39 year Cup drought and the hated Isles were coming on fast but in 1979 if the Rangers were healthy they had a great chance to win the Cup. Nilsson broke his ankle with a cheap shot by that ******* Potvin and the Rangers lost in the finals to a fading Dynasty in Montreal who was ready to be beaten. The Islanders got stronger in 1980 and when on a great run winning 4 Cups while the Rangers were haunted by the Islanders.
I don,t know what Bettman has done to the Rangers on any scale comparable to the pain that Potvin and the Islander Dynasty did to the Rangers back then.
A lot of the fans on this board didn,t experience it but the Islander/Ranger rivalry of 1975-1994 was so much more intense than any the Rangers will ever experience again. I laugh when I hear people mention the Rangers/ Devils rivalry compared to the Islanders/Rangers of 1975-1994.
The Potvin Sucks chant should last forever as it is a chant that symbolizes the agony of 54 years by the most loyal fans in Hockey!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
RangerFanInJersey

To me it's all or nothing. Either everyone in the building should yell it after the whistle, or don't do it at all. This is probably because it's overdone, but there are many times when only a few hundred people respond and yell it. The only time it is loud and sounds somewhat good is when we're playing the islanders or the d-bag is in the house in the broadcast booth.

RangerFanInJersey is offline   Reply With Quote