HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game Day Thread : Florida Panthers at Colorado Avalanche (09/20)

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2003, 07:19 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hockey8
Based on what everyone heard, how do you think it's stacking up for the 6th and 7th D spots? With Vitanen not playing tonight, I assume he's ticketed out somewhere.

Liles, Slovak, Smith, McAllister - who do you keep and why? Who can help the team the most in the 6/7 spots?

Thoughts anyone?
Liles as the #6 to get a kid some experience and when needed, mcallister as the #7. with the avs PK the way it is, they CANNOT play mcallister. thats an average of about 1 penalty a game that they'll be forced to kill off. the avs win 7-2 tonight if it wasn't for mcallisters inability to paly w/o taking a bad penalty. like someone said, the guy is HORRIBLE in the corners. he's slow and to stay in position he has to clutch and grab or put his stick between a players leg and ends up dragging them down. if not that, he goes in hard and ends up with his arm on their head and smashing it into the glass and setting called for roughing. he's a journyman and like i said earlier, if htis team wants to win a cup, he should not play a regular shift.

Old
09-20-2003, 07:39 PM
PatrickRoy33

Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Stop crying about McAllister....it's preseason....FSRM showed a couple of dumb penalties tonight by players NOT named McAllister....he'll change when the regular season starts....

Yes, I do believe he is a little tentative in defending....but Tocchet is working with him on it....

Old
09-20-2003, 07:42 PM
syinura

hes a liability, i say we waiver him!

Old
09-20-2003, 08:12 PM
colosilverado

Just back from the game...

Please bear in mind that I am not a hockey expert and that my knowledge of positioning and such is very limited. That said....

Other than Svatos, who was flying tonight alot like Drury used to do, I liked the way Tanguay seemed to pick up his play while centering. I know I have been one of the ones who have been hard on him but tonight he really impressed me. Alot. Played hard and looked a little quicker, if possible, than in the past. Nobody impressed me on the draws though. I saw flashed of what Kariya and Selanne can do, even though they said they are light years away from where they used to be when they played together. I am drooling at the prospect of them getting their timing back and having a top flight center between them.

The 1st goal on Sauve was definitely a case of Weiss(?) being behind the D, 1 on 1 with Sauve and Weiss waiting Sauve out as he slid by on Sauve's left side. I thought maybe Sauve was a little too far out and should have been on the post, but I'm sure he was trying to cut down the angle.
I thought that for the most part, Sauve looked pretty good. I thought that Budaj looked better, though. Other than his puck handling. He held the puck for awhile on a play and couldn't decide what to do with it, and he ended up passing straight to a Panther because of pressure from behind. But he is young, so that can be expected. Sauve wandered way too far out of the net and DMo saved his butt twice on that play. That said, DMo really impressed me as did Blake and Skrastins. Skrastins wasn't flashy, but very solid and smart and a very nice addition.

Saviels (sp, it's too late and I'm tired and lazy) didn't do much to impress me. He looks pretty slow, but maybe it is just his stride. Boychuk, other than the big hit on Hagman (who impressed me alot), didn't do much. Slovak was decent. Nothing special. Better than Boychuk and Saviels though.

I liked the way Charlie Stephens played. Chippy and played the body alot. He and McCormick looked pretty good, along with Wilsie and Hahl.

Overall, the young defensemen looked just that...young. The youngters were out there alot together, so that explains some of the breakdowns.

Tanguay, Hejduk and Svatos looked deadly down low. It is fun to watch. I know that Svatos is Hershey bound, and that will help him progress. That said, he may be another of those players that you guys were alluding to earlier in this thread....another steal by our scouting staff. I was kinda disappointed in Krusty. I thought he might do more with his time, but he looks more like a Nedorost type.

All in all, this game was a blast to watch and I liked what I saw from the vets. Nikolishin and Hahl were pretty good on the forecheck. McAllister was pretty invisible other than the penalty in the corner, but it was a close play.

I might think of something else later. If you have questions about a certain guy, lemme know.

Old
09-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansiu
hes a liability, i say we waiver him!
nah, when he gets out there he plays with intensity. Thats what the Avs need. Maybe a little coachign will change his game.

At the least, I say we could garner a 7th round pick from some team looking for defensive depth.

Old
09-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup
yay mcallister, way to be a liability(his TRUE colors). this is EXACTLY why he should not play a regualr shift. he can't stay out of the box(4 times in 2 games, 2 pp goals against tonight while he was in there)and the avs pk isn't good enough to be GUARANTEED being shorthanded every game thanks to him.

Trust me Worrell isn't any better in the liability area especially when it comes to his high elbows, falling on top of players (terrible skater), and bad rep. tho last year he actually was better in drawing a few penalties for us but still a major liability when he was here in Florida.

Old
09-20-2003, 09:36 PM
cazzy

The new building is a fairly nice place. I was a little shocked to not get strip searched as I walked through the door like they do at any event in Denver. They didnít even search thru my bag. You always know when youíre in a small town arena when theyíre doing the ďchuck-a-puckĒ thing.

It seemed like it took a while for the Avs to get going in the first period. The Panthers were playing a really tight defense.

Svatos really was truly amazing.
Horton and Weiss were pretty impressive too,

Iím starting to notice a trend on the power play. Maybe Iím stating the obvious because now that I think about it, you pretty much have to do it this way. Itís looking like the power play is going to consist of four forwards and Blake or Morris on defense. Kariya was quarterbacking the power play tonight. With all this firepower I guess you pretty much have to do this. This is going to be fun to watch throughout the season.

All the Panthers that werenít on the roster tonight were all setting in seats at the end of the arena. Messier was there but I didnít see Nederost. I guess heís rehabbing somewhere.

Iím so bummed that the Panthers changed their plans and arenít going to train up in Vail now.

Old
09-21-2003, 06:05 AM
cazzy

I forgot one side note. Blake, Kariya and Selanne were all wearing the ďAĒs on their jerseys

Old
09-21-2003, 01:56 PM
colosilverado

I thought that the arena was decent for a small town area, but I was disappointed that the crowd wasn't more into it. I guess it is preseason and the folks up this way aren't as used to hockey, other than the ones that make the trek down to Denver to the Avs games on a regular basis.

I am still psyched to have some ice up in my neck of the woods though. It will be nice to get more people into hockey up in this neck of the woods and maybe eventually get some more youth hockey and such.

The PA guy absolutely sucked, though. Must have been first game jitters.

Yeah, the chuck-a-puck thing scared the heck outta me. I was waiting for some noodle armed kid up in the higher sections to bean someone in the head. I guess that is one benefit of the place being so small!

Cazzy, where were you sitting?

Old
09-22-2003, 04:18 AM
cazzy

I was sitting pretty much at center ice right above an area where the had some cameras set up. I donít know who the cameras were for. Maybe the Panthers were lucky enough to have the game shown in Florida??
Ya, the PA guy was pretty bad. Only in a farm town would Stephen Weiss become Stephen Weeeeese.

Old
09-22-2003, 06:06 AM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy
I was sitting pretty much at center ice right above an area where the had some cameras set up. I donít know who the cameras were for. Maybe the Panthers were lucky enough to have the game shown in Florida??
Ya, the PA guy was pretty bad. Only in a farm town would Stephen Weiss become Stephen Weeeeese.
then is mcnabb from a farm town because thats what he was calling him all night as well.

Closed Thread