HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does The NHL Need to do something about NMC/NTC?

Old
09-18-2012, 05:00 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 500
Does The NHL Need to do something about NMC/NTC?

The rate at which this practice happens has exploded. Now once again we can chalk this up to a simple Owners need to be stronger and not bend to do this as often. With all the problems they are having with other stuff I have hard time seeing the NHL making big inroads on this, but they really need to bring this up in my opinion.

When looking over at capgeek there are 169 players with some form of NMC/NTC. Now some have expired like Cleary, but also this round of extensions have not kicked into the numbers so players like Lucic don't have one listed yet either. The caliber of player that gets them and just how ironclad they are tend to vary as well. For instance Rozsival just got one which makes sense if you sign a one year deal as an older player.

In any event there are a total of 690 (23*30) NHL jobs and reports have the NHLPA as around 750, but you can be assured almost all 169 will hold jobs with only player like Gomez (potentially) and Redden coming to mind as demotion examples.

So that means a whopping 24% of the players have some form of NMC/NTC that will be on rosters.

Even using the larger Plaayers Association numbers 22% have this.

If I was rounding each number would go up so, 25% and 23% although it is pretty much right in the middle so I didn't round

So either 1/4 or 1/5 of players in the league have this promised to them.

The Wings roster for example has 7 players playing under a contract that had this at some point. They used to be pretty publically against this, but it has become the price of doing contract negotiations in the NHL these days it seems.

I find these numbers to be obscenely high and I think it needs addressing. Gone unchecked this could be a rather large problem in the future. Maybe designate a number allowed per team? Does anybody else see a problem with this?

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:05 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

What, exactly, is the problem with it? Why is it something that needs to be addressed, or capped?

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:15 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
What, exactly, is the problem with it? Why is it something that needs to be addressed, or capped?
I think it hurts flexability. The numbers are too high. Sure they can waive but really this is a big figure and I just wonder once you get up to 1/3 if it will become something that absolutely crushes the game. Good on the players for getting it, I just wonder how wise it is to have 1/4 of the league walking around with them. As we have seen in the Heatley and Nash situations it can really hold up the league and other players waiting on these as well.

I think it is reaching figures where it needs to be addressed.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

I think most employees would prefer that their employers can't just up and send them to another state or country. I really don't see a problem with NTCs. Hockey players are well compensated but they are people with families. Not to mention there is a very time percentage of people on the planet that can do what they do. They should be compensated. Job security or stability is a form of compensation.

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
The only issue with NTC/NMC that should be addressed is if the player demands a trade that his NTC/NMC should be void

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
The only issue with NTC/NMC that should be addressed is if the player demands a trade that his NTC/NMC should be void
Have always agreed with this line of thinkin. Even something like at most they can only put in a 10 team no go list at that point.

Keep thinking this when people point out what happens when Weber demands a trade in Nashville. Well he better be certain that is what he wants because they could send him anywhere. So before he goes into the GM's office he better be very careful.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:50 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
I agree completely. Once you've asked to be traded once, you shouldn't be able to control your destiny again.

If anything, NHL should have a 10/5 rule like MLB. Ten years in the league and five years with your current club allows you to veto a trade.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:34 PM
sarcastro

It won't matter - the owners are trying to cap contracts at 5 or 6 years, so there won't be any more lifetime deals.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:07 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Why?
The NMC is for the player, not the team.
Maybe if the player sits out while demanding a trade. But otherwise, that's just a bad idea. It's punitive for no good reason.

And there are times when nobody is quite sure who demanded the trade..the player or the GM

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
I agree with Bob on this one. As long as the guy continues to play he should still have his nmc/ntc. If he decides to hold out, then it's off the table.

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:01 AM
MissNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
It won't matter - the owners are trying to cap contracts at 5 or 6 years, so there won't be any more lifetime deals.
And yet they're the ones giving out the lifetime deals

MissNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:19 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Yes, so that KH can't give them out like santa gives out christmas presents.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote