HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospect/Marlies Thread Part X: We Are Looking Stacked

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

vCash: 500
Let be the first to say on this thread to watch Carter Ashton this year, it will be his last in the AHL. Will be one of the top Marlies players this season. Size, skill, pungacity, production all in one player.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
The Marlies should be an exciting team to watch for the next 2 - 3 + seasons.

We have guys like Kadri, Frattin, Blacker, Deschamps, Colborne, Ashton, and D'amigo who are quality prospects all looking to push for an NHL job over the next year or two.

We then have another group of prospects like Biggs, Percy, Ross, Mckegg, Leivo, Finn, and Devane who will replace them in the AHL once those prospects succeed or bust.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:20 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Let be the first to say on this thread to watch Carter Ashton this year, it will be his last in the AHL. Will be one of the top Marlies players this season. Size, skill, pungacity, production all in one player.
Agreed hundred percent. He can be the surprise player this year and really hope proves critics wrong. He has the skill to be a very good powerforward for us, I really hope he brings out the skill we know he possess.

09-17-2012, 08:38 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I've been on the Ashton bandwagon ever since we trade Aulie for him, I love his skillset, he wasn't very effective in his NHL call-up but neither were most of the Leafs. He'll be up there with Kadri and Frattin.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I've been on the Ashton bandwagon ever since we trade Aulie for him, I love his skillset, he wasn't very effective in his NHL call-up but neither were most of the Leafs. He'll be up there with Kadri and Frattin.
Oh he will show up, just needs to get going. He definitely showed the spark beside colborne, another skill player who needs to prove this upcoming year.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:58 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Can you imagine how many of the players on entry level contracts could end up in the AHL after player up to 2 years in the NHL?

OEL could be in the AHL. Guy was very good in the NHL playoffs last year.

Marcus Johansson is another with 2 year NHL.

Schenn, Clifford.

Could be like watching the young stars game.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
09-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Not to mention Edmonton sending down RNH, Eberle, MPS and J. Schultz. Going to be a very competitive league this year if this lockout drags on.

09-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Not to mention Edmonton sending down RNH, Eberle, MPS and J. Schultz. Going to be a very competitive league this year if this lockout drags on.
would be a fun time to be the commissioner of AHL.

It definitely could be a promising thing for a lot of prospects though, as they will get a solid supporting cast.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Ashton isn't flashy, but agreed, I like his skill set. Size, high traffic, skilled guys are hard to find. Best case scenario fro him is he and Biggs form parts of our 3rd line in 2013-2014. Two 6'3 220lbs wingers with a skilled Center, maybe Kadri would form a very exciting line. While I see top 6 ability in Kadri and Biggs, I see Ashton as a very solid 3rd liner on a contending team.

I think he's got 15 goal ability, but more than that, he will be a good 2 way soldier. Has the mindset to do whatever is needed to win.

1 thing I loved about his game last year, was when we lost a game that no one showed up. He atleast looked upset and got into a scuffle. We need more guys like that.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Ramboshaw

Any idea on how our prospects have been doing during preseason action?? I've been following Rielly and Biggs, but other than that I haven't heard too much on these boards about the others (Finn, Leivo, ect)

Old
09-17-2012, 02:27 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Anyone find it hilarious that Schultz wanted a guaranteed NHL job, and now he's playing hockey in Oklahoma

And imagine a 3rd line of Ashton - Colborne - Biggs

Old
09-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Colborne does not cut it for me

Not gritty enough for the 3rd line banger and non stop motor we need...

Gaunce in last years draft would have been nice and this year Monahan would be ideal

Biggs is 6'3 220 now just 19
he will be 20lbs bigger and maybe another taller or Lucic size

Old
09-17-2012, 07:22 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Joe Colborne played from Jan-June with at least 2 torn ligaments and a broken bone in his left wrist. Relied on cortisone #Leafs
https://twitter.com/KyleTheReporter/...49928921747457

Old
09-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

He was banged up bad. Hopefully he has a full recovery from his injuries. He was tearing it up before then.

Old
09-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Colborne should be dealt while he has value

Old
09-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
For what, exactly?

Old
09-17-2012, 07:47 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

I'm lookin forwar to colbourne. Hopefully he's all healed up. If he comes back like he was in the beginning of the season last season, him frattin and kadri would be the triple threat our team.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:07 PM
KlattNazty

Not going to lie, this is the first decision on managements part in a while regarding prospects I truly question.

Here is my 2cents on the Joe Co situation.

We know he is talented. When on his game he was capable of dominating the AHL and did so. Can shoot, skate, and pass the puck with aplomb. I have always maintained that Joe's biggest problem is a lack of physical maturity, and not that his game was not rounded out enough to graduate to the NHL.

So when it comes out that he plays with such a badly damaged wrist for this long, and when he didnt need to, as the marlies would have been a decent team without him.... I question the priorities of management. Because I think it may have made more sense to shut him down so he could put in the time to develop muscle this offseason.

As a result he did not make his stated goal of 225 and was unable to work his upper body at all. Not sure what i think of that.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

How on earth was he allowed to play with such trouble in his wrist!? I mean that's just preposterous!

Old
09-17-2012, 08:25 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

I guess if he had sat out once he was injured, he could have been healthy for the playoffs. It was a bad judgement call. Wasn't like he contributed a whole lot while he was injured anyway.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:34 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

not much of an AHL fan
but i guess i better follow it a bit, cuz....... you know

so when's the first marlies preseason game ?

Old
09-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
He doesn't hold a lot of value right now, it'll go up if he plays in the A like he did pre-injury.

I think he should have stopped playing as soon as they found out he was injured. It could have been dangerous, and a lot worse.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
I guess if he had sat out once he was injured, he could have been healthy for the playoffs. It was a bad judgement call. Wasn't like he contributed a whole lot while he was injured anyway.
I know i was gutsy of him to do that and play with all the pain but it would have been better if he took his sweet time to recover and come back recharged. Unless his learning from all this time really made him into something else and true potential which he was touted for in his draft year.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:01 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I know i was gutsy of him to do that and play with all the pain but it would have been better if he took his sweet time to recover and come back recharged. Unless his learning from all this time really made him into something else and true potential which he was touted for in his draft year.
The only true improvement I noticed during his injury time was dedication to the boards and in his own zone, and it wasnt a DRASTIC improvement. It was one you could notice if you paid attention, and even then, he wasnt exactly consistent in that department.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
The only true improvement I noticed during his injury time was dedication to the boards and in his own zone, and it wasnt a DRASTIC improvement. It was one you could notice if you paid attention, and even then, he wasnt exactly consistent in that department.
Pretty much. It was good but that something that is like wow he finally knows how to use his body to perfection. I mean it wasn't something as he had become the next martin hanzal.

I guess the only positive side i can see is the the mental aspect but will that really hlep him get it out.

Closed Thread