HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Minnesota Wild fans: What can you tell me about your team?

Old
03-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Minnesota Wild fans: What can you tell me about your team?

I'm a Leafs fan, but I want to start following a Western Conference team as well. Minnesota jumped out at me due to being a hockey area outside of Canada as well as a team that's looking solid, but not an obvious bandwagon team. I've always thought they're a lot more likable than most teams too.

I'd like to know a bit about what fans think about the team now though, so what can you guys tell me about them?

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Significantly better than last year. Suter-Brodin has been beyond awesome this year - with Suter as a possible Norris candidate and Brodin as a possible Calder candidate. Our 2nd line has woken up so our scoring no longer depends on 1st line. We've had some scoring trouble at the beginning of the year, but as I said, our 2nd line has woken up. Bäcks has been playing great. I'm expecting a little more from Parise though.

We still need a player to our top 6 & a top 4 d-man.

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:09 AM
NugarifiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
We still need a winger/center to our top 6 & a top 4 d-man.
Preferably RHS.

NugarifiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:10 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
1. Jonas Brodin is the man.

2. Ryan Suter is good at hockey.

3. Don't stop the party!(This one is very important)

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:13 AM
The Boyle Sisters
six dollar papers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
I'm a Leafs fan, but I want to start following a Western Conference team as well. Minnesota jumped out at me due to being a hockey area outside of Canada as well as a team that's looking solid, but not an obvious bandwagon team. I've always thought they're a lot more likable than most teams too.

I'd like to know a bit about what fans think about the team now though, so what can you guys tell me about them?
Minnesota Nice.

The Boyle Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:18 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

The fans are so great that our number (18,000) has been retired!!!!

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:46 AM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
1. Jonas Brodin is the man.

2. Ryan Suter is good at hockey.

3. Don't stop the party!(This one is very important)
Cannot stress this enough. You absolutely cannot stop the party.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:18 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Cannot stress this enough. You absolutely cannot stop the party.
Fineable offense with a minimum 3 game suspension if you try.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:34 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Welcome friendly Leafs fan!!

This is also the surrogate home of all our Finnish brethren

It's cool seeing so many posters on our board that are from an area with a stupid amount of lakes...Makes Minny look bad...

And our team is improving. We're a top 6 forward and top 4 d away from being truly solid at this point.

Our top 3 d of Suter, Brodin, and Gilbert is pretty darned good, then it falls off a bit and the rest are all bottom pairing. A number of flaws in all of them, but they all have their upsides as well. Many of them can be nasty, so that can be entertaining.

Our offense has improved a good deal, and we finally have three lines that can score. It does seem that only one of the three will show up on game night, and the line that scores will rotate from game to game, it's a little weird, but we're getting there.

Oh yeah, and never stop the Paaaartaaaayy! And we're all putting up Brodin motifs in our bedrooms. Oddly, the ladies in our lives don't seem to mind all that much

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

We're a radical group of atheists that use to attend the church of Yeo, but have since been exiled. We occasionally peek through the windows into the church now though.

You had best learn to like bacon because you're going to be seeing more and more of it.

Don't stop the party.

Our Kaptain occasionally goes into something we call "beast mode", transforming him into a one man wrecking crew.

Our savior Finnish baby Jesus was sent back to heaven for the time being as he wasn't prepared to lead us to the promised land yet (this statement contradicts my first one so much).

Don't stop the party.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
We're a radical group of atheists that use to attend the church of Yeo, but have since been exiled. We occasionally peek through the windows into the church now though.

You had best learn to like bacon because you're going to be seeing more and more of it.

Don't stop the party.

Our Kaptain occasionally goes into something we call "beast mode", transforming him into a one man wrecking crew.

Our savior Finnish baby Jesus was sent back to heaven for the time being as he wasn't prepared to lead us to the promised land yet (this statement contradicts my first one so much).

Don't stop the party.
Omg made my day.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Correct. Even my lol-owl doesn't stahp da pah-tay.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Eagle Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post

Don't stop the party.

Don't stop the party.
pure quality

Being a wild fan has been some kind off an masochism, getting beat all the time but still enjoying the small joys off life like in real life

Since suter and brodin have entered the team the pain have suddenly gone
Suddenly there is light and hope, still you dont know if the light is because good times are coming or your witnessed so much pain that your hallucinating

But light what so ever ,the savior baby jesus had to be sacrificed for the light to come
Soon he will reincarnate to become BABY J 2.0 with the help off KIRKIFICTION in the gym and holy "water" and bread from the management

Eagle Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Quicy

vCash: 850
This team is a drastic improvement over last year's team.
Adding: Parise and Suter through FA; Brodin, Zucker, Coyle, Granlund, and at times Larsson has been great.

I'd say the future is bright, obviously defense is our biggest question mark.

We have a trio of young talented goalies and Backstrom for a few more years (maybe).

Quicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We wear red shirts and white shirts and sometimes green shirts. Really boring if you ask anybody outside of Pierre McGuire and Doc Emerick. We almost hired Pierre McGuire as our GM.

Seriously though, the Wild have been terrible for years with only a couple good players, a couple decent ones, and a lot of filler crap. We've had a lot of injury problems that made the team look way worse than they normally are as well.

From 2000-2009, the Wild was run by Doug Risebrough (the guy who traded Doug Gilmour to the Leafs in 1988 and was afraid to do anything since) and Jacques Lemaire. That summer, they hired Chuck Fletcher as GM (son of former Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher...lots of Leafs ties I guess).

What he did was re-build the Wild through the draft. From 2004-08, the Wild missed on practically all of their top draft picks. They had no talent in the pipeline. Our top prospects were Benoit Pouliot and Casey Wellman.

Fletcher drafted and traded for the following young players who are highly ranked prospects:

Matt Hackett
Darcy Kuemper
Erik Haula
Mikael Granlund
Brett Bulmer
Johan Larsson
Jason Zucker
Johan Gustafsson
Jonas Brodin
Zack Phillips
Charlie Coyle
Mario Lucia
Tyler Graovac
Mat Dumba
Raphael Bussieres

So he brought the Wild from bottom five up to top five in terms of prospects, and then convinced Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to sign here. Which makes the Wild better now without giving up any assets.

Right now there's a few great players in their prime, a few guys getting older, and a few younger guys who can still step up. They aren't as proven as most of the teams ahead of them but they should have a pretty bright future.

And financially, there is a TON of money coming off the books the next couple years, so they aren't going to be cap strapped despite the big Parise/Suter deals.

Thanks for your interest.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:41 PM
walloftvs

Finnish Baby Jesus will hopefully be raised from the dead on or around Easter.

walloftvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Badger Mayhew

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like Chuck's been a solid GM, better than his father was in 08 when he signed Jeff Finger for $3.5/4 years thinking he was Kurt Sauer

A bit confused on "Don't stop the party" though, could somebody explain it?

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:10 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like Chuck's been a solid GM, better than his father was in 08 when he signed Jeff Finger for $3.5/4 years thinking he was Kurt Sauer

This Bud Lite commecial featuring Pit Bull is played during almost every single commercial break during Wild games.

Don't Stop the Party!!

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:11 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:

This is on literally every other commercial break when Wild games are on.

Eventually a few people embraced it on our board.
And then after a comeback win, everybody partook.
Then it exploded.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:14 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I <3 The Leafs as an Eastern team.

00xtremeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Uberdachen

Well there's Bees and Cheese-- they came over to celebrate the 4th of July and stuck around. Then there's Kidstrom, an ice sculpture of bacon; and Kaptain, who's been dry since Cully and Blutarguchi drank all his beast juice. There's Bighead, on loan from the hospital for a season. And College, he tried out for that hospital team last game but didn't make it. And this here's-- no, don't get up-- Backstrom. Yep. And there's a hobbit, don't make him back up more than a few steps or he'll disappear on you. Over there would be Hannibal, he always takes the faceoff. I'd introduce you to Heatley but he's off today. And then there's Pitbull, I don't really know what he WHY AM I PUNCHING THE AIR HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME

Uberdachen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:09 PM
MK9

Quote:

Unfortunately Minnesota fans generally are though.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Beegoalie

Exciting team right now with a ridiculously bright future thanks to 13 years of Parise/Suter..a solid Kaptain in Koivu and the best prospect pool in hockey that is already paying dividends

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Unfortunately Minnesota fans generally are though.
Lies.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:50 PM
StealthClobber
#humangousbig

vCash: 434
While you're here, just ignore anything MK9 says. He's the only person trying to stop the party.

StealthClobber is offline   Reply With Quote