Notices

NHL 13 & General Video Game Discussion Part Quatre

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 0
Counter Strike is about the only multiplayer FPS I really got into for any amount of time, and that was before Steam came out. I can't even play Counter Strike now if I wanted to because I bound my half-life CD key to a steam account when it first came out and now I have no idea what that account was.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:45 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Counter Strike is about the only multiplayer FPS I really got into for any amount of time, and that was before Steam came out. I can't even play Counter Strike now if I wanted to because I bound my half-life CD key to a steam account when it first came out and now I have no idea what that account was.
1.6 is $10
Source is $20
GO is $15
The pack of all three plus CZ is $30

I bought source for my second steam account for $2.50 last Christmas sale I believe.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Eh, I'm against buying games I already own on principle, but if there is some kind of 75% off sale and I can get the original half life plus CS for like $2.50, I'd probably be okay with that.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Valve typically discounts all their first party games around 75% at least once during their holiday sales. I'd imagine they'll do the same for Christmas this year.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Nothing. I just remember you having two accounts in order to play for two separate teams, unless I'm much mistaken.
Yeah, you're right, although the second account wasn't originally for that...

If you're planning to make another account, I'd prefer doing a US account. The US PSN Store is way better than the Euro version...

Old
11-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Valve typically discounts all their first party games around 75% at least once during their holiday sales. I'd imagine they'll do the same for Christmas this year.
What about third party games tho?

Old
11-13-2012, 10:17 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
What about third party games tho?
For the games that go on sale, they're between 33% off and 80% off, but it's more sporadic which third parties are on sale and when. Typically they'll have a blanket type sale where most things are around 33% off (except some new releases), each day they'll have a few games that are discounted around 66%-80% and they'll have a sale that cycles every couple hours that will be around 50% off.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Loving Black Ops 2 so far. Very smooth and I haven't experienced any lag yet. Got kicked from one game when I was 20-3 though and the stats didn't count.

Old
11-13-2012, 04:47 PM
MNman

Yes. Impressed that there were not any major flaws at launch of BO II.

Treyarch is proving they know how to make a better game than Activision.

The maps have been pretty , meh , for me so far. None have stood out as being great, one or two have appeared to be poor so far.

I'm actually really excited to get into the campaign as well......watched just a little bit of the opening preview on the disc and it got me excited.

Especially when I saw Reznov

Old
11-13-2012, 06:01 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNman View Post
Yes. Impressed that there were not any major flaws at launch of BO II.

Treyarch is proving they know how to make a better game than Activision.

The maps have been pretty , meh , for me so far. None have stood out as being great, one or two have appeared to be poor so far.

I'm actually really excited to get into the campaign as well......watched just a little bit of the opening preview on the disc and it got me excited.

Especially when I saw Reznov
Pretty sure every developer does. Activision is just the publisher that funds stuff.

/jackassremark

But I'm glad you guys are having fun. I just cannot get excited about that game at all. I'm all cod'ed out.

And going to put in a few hours no KOTOR. **** yeah.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
CoD has blown chunks for a while. Can't believe people still buy the same regurgitated crap every year.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Unreal is a lot of fun so far. It's nice because I already know what all the weapons do from when I played UT way way back in the day.

Yay ASMD and Flak cannon!

Old
11-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Pretty sure every developer does. Activision is just the publisher that funds stuff.

/jackassremark

But I'm glad you guys are having fun. I just cannot get excited about that game at all. I'm all cod'ed out.

And going to put in a few hours no KOTOR. **** yeah.
Kotor is without a doubt in my top 5. Tried to play it about a month or two ago but my disc was beat to hell

Old
11-13-2012, 08:37 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Kotor is without a doubt in my top 5. Tried to play it about a month or two ago but my disc was beat to hell
I bought it on steam for $9.99, and KOTOR 2 was just released on steam a month ago for $9.99 as well, finally picked that one up.

I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Tyratoku, set me up for the plot on Halo 4, rented it today, will probably buy it soon. I remember some of the Halo's, but since 2010 is mostly a lost year for me, what happened? Keep it simple as you want.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:36 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Tyratoku, set me up for the plot on Halo 4, rented it today, will probably buy it soon. I remember some of the Halo's, but since 2010 is mostly a lost year for me, what happened? Keep it simple as you want.
Alright, so:

-Human civil war between inner developed colonies and outer/rebellious colony worlds.
-Outer colonies start to win against tyrannical inner-world governments.
-Last resort, government orders secret program called the Spartan II project.
-Master Chief, the main character, was abducted at six years old and trained to be a beast. Genetically enhanced, super strong/fast/all that.
-A few years later, alien "Covenant" shows up. Focus switches from civil war to covenant.
-30 year war against the Covenant, humans losing.
-Covenant attacks humanity's strongest military world, Reach.
-Only one ship escapes Reach and does a random space jump to a random place.
-Finds Halo.
-Halos were built by the Forerunners, an ancient race that dominated the galaxy but mysteriously disappeared, all are supposedly dead.
-The Halos, when activated, destroy all biological life to keep life from being consumed by the plague-creatures known as the Flood.
-Master Chief destroys two Halos(Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2)
-Covenant splits in a civil war.
-One side sides with Humanity, the other side is super religious and wants to find the Forerunners, whom they worship as gods.
-In a battle way out in the middle of nowhere on a Forerunner structure known as the Ark(Halo 3), Master Chief got cut off from everybody else and is frozen to stay alive and is floating through space, only with his computer/Artificial Intelligence known as Cortana.
-Most of humanity thinks he's dead. Some believe he's still alive, but those are only hunches.

Alright, so hopefully that should be enough. And, I'll admit it, the Halo 4 story can be very confusing, especially to people who have not been following the entire series and have not read the most recent books. A lot of things go unexplained/left to the player, and not in the greatest way possible. You'll more than likely have questions if you finish the game, and I'll be more than happy to answer them

Old
11-13-2012, 09:41 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I really should go finish Reach. I'm just so out of practice with console FPS (and all of my previous experience is on PS3) and don't want to dump the difficulty down...

Old
11-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Sweet. Thanks. I've read the 1-5 books and then Halo: Evolutions. I doubt too much of those come in to play. I wish I had time to play the first three and start the fourth.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:52 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
I really should go finish Reach. I'm just so out of practice with console FPS (and all of my previous experience is on PS3) and don't want to dump the difficulty down...
The Reach campaign was pretty fun, I thought. If you could play through it in Co-op, it gets much better. I'd be up for helping you out, if you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Sweet. Thanks. I've read the 1-5 books and then Halo: Evolutions. I doubt too much of those come in to play. I wish I had time to play the first three and start the fourth.
Those books were great, IMO, but they mostly just provided background information that did not effect the games, I thought.

With the Forerunner trilogy currently being written by Greg Bear, Halo 4 is in an odd spot.

The first two books of the trilogy are out, and are both written very weird. Nothing happens for about 80% of both books, then in both in the last 50 or so pages, so much **** goes down it's hard to comprehend.

If you've read both books, then hey, you are in for absolutely no surprises in Halo 4.

But if you have not read those two books, you'll have no idea who some of the characters are and they are never really explained in the game! Unless you find the hidden terminals, which explain pretty well, but it's silly that you have to go find hidden stuff to figure out key parts of the narrative. As a guy who has read those books and completely 100% got the story of the game, I still think it's ****ty.

Although, the gameplay itself is amazing. The visuals in the game are RIDICULOUS. All of the CGI cutscenes were made in-house at the developer. Motion capture suits and wonderful art direction, that's all. Some of the CGI literally looks real. You're in for a treat.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:58 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
The Reach campaign was pretty fun, I thought. If you could play through it in Co-op, it gets much better. I'd be up for helping you out, if you'd like.
I don't pay for Live, so co-op is out unless it's split screen, but thanks. I just need to cave and lower the difficulty until I get used to the controller I think.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Fallout NV + Gun Runners + Stealth Boy = WIN

Old
11-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Fallout NV + Gun Runners + Stealth Boy = WIN
It's awesome.

I usually play as a sniper, with Boone and E-DE as companions. Give Boone an anti-materiel rifle and watch him handle a mother****ing deathclaw in a couple of shots. I usually use either a sniper rifle or an anti-materiel rifle, but I consider myself quite handy with just your typical service rifle or a cowboy repeater.

By the way, the "four eyes" perk is brilliant. Just... brilliant.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My first two playthroughs were with a strong gunner but I wanted to do energy weapons and more of a smooth talker. So I did high perception/charisma/luck and mid everything else, even though most guides say charisma is worthless.

So I did the perk that lowers strength and combat and raises everything else, because I can just easily make up energy weapons in 1/3 of a level for skill points. By the time I got to Primm, my repair and science were so high that I built ED-E and from that point on it was easy mode. Then got Boone right away and they just killed everyone for me.

Now I'm doing the Cass quest but I'll get Boone back. Cass kinda sucks compared to Boone. Once I'm done with Cass I'll go through and take out the rest of the Van Graffs and steal their armor and sell it for 15k worth of caps.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My first two playthroughs were with a strong gunner but I wanted to do energy weapons and more of a smooth talker. So I did high perception/charisma/luck and mid everything else, even though most guides say charisma is worthless.

So I did the perk that lowers strength and combat and raises everything else, because I can just easily make up energy weapons in 1/3 of a level for skill points. By the time I got to Primm, my repair and science were so high that I built ED-E and from that point on it was easy mode. Then got Boone right away and they just killed everyone for me.

Now I'm doing the Cass quest but I'll get Boone back. Cass kinda sucks compared to Boone. Once I'm done with Cass I'll go through and take out the rest of the Van Graffs and steal their armor and sell it for 15k worth of caps.
Sounds good. I haven't touched NV in a while actually because I'm quite busy with NHL 13 as well as Race Driver: GRiD atm. I know that the latter is quite old, but I never got to play it properly so I thought meh, why not. Aside from the horrible rubber band AI and arcade (in my standards) physics, it's enjoyable, especially when played in Pro mode (no restarts or flashbacks).

Oh, and rFactor. Must not forget rFactor. I still play it nearly every day, usually just testing sessions for some hotlaps in a Ford Capri 2600.

I was supposed to start playing Europa Universalis III again some day, but haven't yet managed to do it. Maybe one of these days I'm going back to it. My love for alternate history timelines is too strong.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I got NV (again) last week as I'm trying to cash out games from Goozex before it finally dies. Didn't really want to play through it again, but my kid thought the cover looked cool, and now I'm halfway hooked. Also, the Kotaku blurb about robbing the Silver Rush reminded me.

It's also been a while but I wouldn't mind playing FO3 again.

Closed Thread