Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
God damnit, Avder.

With NHL 13, GTA IV, Fallout: NV, Civilization V and other stuff, I thought I wouldn't have time for this. Oh well. Installed the NAM and industrial job mods as well. Actually, I've never made it that far before in Sim City. I guess some time off the game, the mods and some patience as well as reading your posts actually helped.

I know it's not a large city yet, but I just started playing like an hour ago or so. I really need to grab some sleep now, the sun is already rising.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:30 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
God damnit, Avder.

With NHL 13, GTA IV, Fallout: NV, Civilization V and other stuff, I thought I wouldn't have time for this. Oh well. Installed the NAM and industrial job mods as well. Actually, I've never made it that far before in Sim City. I guess some time off the game, the mods and some patience as well as reading your posts actually helped.

I know it's not a large city yet, but I just started playing like an hour ago or so. I really need to grab some sleep now, the sun is already rising.
You should also look into a slope mod. It makes the roads look a lot better by getting rid of that roller-coaster effect. (see bottom left of your pic) As a side effect it can sometimes make it infuriating to build even the simplest thing. Occasionally it gets so bad that I quit, remove the mod, re-start, build what I wanted, quit again, and reinstall the mod. because you know, sometimes I just want the damned thing to build and I dont care how it looks. function over form and all that, but I really like things to look nice too.

Anyhoo, a picture of the largest city in my 21,000,000 sim region:

Some tips (at least if you want a huge, gridded out city like this):

Use roads for pretty much everything except dead-end streets. Ignore the city planner when he begs you to stop upgrading streets.

Every couple of blocks, use an avenue. With NAM installed, the sims will tend to use the higher capacity arterials a lot more than without it, so its good to designate the routes you want used ahead of time, before your city gets really big.

Put a bus stop on every corner. No, seriously. I have a bus stop on every single intersection in that city. Actually, its a combination bus stop/subway. But using it ahead of time allows you to take advantage of the bus network until you can afford to install and maintain an actual subway network.

Get to know the NWM networks. They kill congestion in a big way. In particular that TLA-3 and 5 are great to use in place of congested roads and avenues. And if congestion gets really bad and you can stomache demolishing one tile along an avenue/TLA-5 to upgrade to a three tile road, the TLA-7 is the magnum option.

Once you have demand for cleaner industries like manufacturing and high tech, set the tax on dirty to 20%. Some of it will natually convert upwards to manufacturing, but at some point you should de-zone, let the pollution clear up, and re-zone it to allow it to be built a lot cleaner. And if you want high tech to build you need to minimize manufacturing as well. Basically treat high tech like high wealth residential. That means parks every so often, away from main roads, and very far away from anything that creates pollution.

Lets see what else...

Dont go crazy on services. The only service your city absolutely has to have is fire protection, and thats mostly so you dont have to keep putting out fires manually all the time. The next service should be schools. Use the large elementary school. Be sure to set the bus funding to zero. Putting them in when you are using low density may sound excessive because you'll only have a few students in each of them, but once you start upgrading in density you will be glad you have them in place.

Libraries and museums are good for educating older sims.

In fact, if you are dirt poor and cant afford anything, take out the school and put in a library. Your EQ will increase at a much lower rate, but it will keep increasing.

As a matter of fact, if you are going to build a city full of slums (of which my region has many), you can get away with just elementaries and libraries, and your poor people will eventually reach a 200 average EQ. Some museums help a bit too.

Anything else just ask.

Also, you may notice something interesting about all the buildings in my picture...or rather the buildings that aren't there.

Also, google the industrial/high-tech census fix. There's a bug in the original game that makes it so high wealth sims never work at high tech, when high tech is supposed to employ 10% high wealth. It's a considerably more involved installation process, so make sure you find the tutorial on it and follow it precisely, or you could screw something up bigtime.

Also, dont get too crazy about filling various demands for industry. Industry has a very low jobs-per-tile ratio, so you actually want to minimize it. In the end, your big employer type will be the offices, as both high wealth and mid wealth offices can provide thousands of jobs per building with high density, high-stage buildings. My richest city has over 2 million office jobs in it, and only 95,000 high tech jobs.

Anything else, just ask.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:32 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder
Anything else, just ask.
Is there a Sim EMP bomb?

Sim Fusion Bomb?

Old
03-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Is there a Sim EMP bomb?

Sim Fusion Bomb?

Sure. Remove fire protection from an area, plop down a Nuclear Power Plant, and set it on fire. Should blow up around 66% of the time.

Renders the whole area uninhabitable for a couple hundred thousand years.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
You should also look into a slope mod. It makes the roads look a lot better by getting rid of that roller-coaster effect. (see bottom left of your pic) As a side effect it can sometimes make it infuriating to build even the simplest thing. Occasionally it gets so bad that I quit, remove the mod, re-start, build what I wanted, quit again, and reinstall the mod. because you know, sometimes I just want the damned thing to build and I dont care how it looks. function over form and all that, but I really like things to look nice too.

Anyhoo, a picture of the largest city in my 21,000,000 sim region:

Some tips (at least if you want a huge, gridded out city like this):

Use roads for pretty much everything except dead-end streets. Ignore the city planner when he begs you to stop upgrading streets.

Every couple of blocks, use an avenue. With NAM installed, the sims will tend to use the higher capacity arterials a lot more than without it, so its good to designate the routes you want used ahead of time, before your city gets really big.

Put a bus stop on every corner. No, seriously. I have a bus stop on every single intersection in that city. Actually, its a combination bus stop/subway. But using it ahead of time allows you to take advantage of the bus network until you can afford to install and maintain an actual subway network.

Get to know the NWM networks. They kill congestion in a big way. In particular that TLA-3 and 5 are great to use in place of congested roads and avenues. And if congestion gets really bad and you can stomache demolishing one tile along an avenue/TLA-5 to upgrade to a three tile road, the TLA-7 is the magnum option.

Once you have demand for cleaner industries like manufacturing and high tech, set the tax on dirty to 20%. Some of it will natually convert upwards to manufacturing, but at some point you should de-zone, let the pollution clear up, and re-zone it to allow it to be built a lot cleaner. And if you want high tech to build you need to minimize manufacturing as well. Basically treat high tech like high wealth residential. That means parks every so often, away from main roads, and very far away from anything that creates pollution.

Lets see what else...

Dont go crazy on services. The only service your city absolutely has to have is fire protection, and thats mostly so you dont have to keep putting out fires manually all the time. The next service should be schools. Use the large elementary school. Be sure to set the bus funding to zero. Putting them in when you are using low density may sound excessive because you'll only have a few students in each of them, but once you start upgrading in density you will be glad you have them in place.

Libraries and museums are good for educating older sims.

In fact, if you are dirt poor and cant afford anything, take out the school and put in a library. Your EQ will increase at a much lower rate, but it will keep increasing.

As a matter of fact, if you are going to build a city full of slums (of which my region has many), you can get away with just elementaries and libraries, and your poor people will eventually reach a 200 average EQ. Some museums help a bit too.

Anything else just ask.

Also, you may notice something interesting about all the buildings in my picture...or rather the buildings that aren't there.

Also, google the industrial/high-tech census fix. There's a bug in the original game that makes it so high wealth sims never work at high tech, when high tech is supposed to employ 10% high wealth. It's a considerably more involved installation process, so make sure you find the tutorial on it and follow it precisely, or you could screw something up bigtime.

Also, dont get too crazy about filling various demands for industry. Industry has a very low jobs-per-tile ratio, so you actually want to minimize it. In the end, your big employer type will be the offices, as both high wealth and mid wealth offices can provide thousands of jobs per building with high density, high-stage buildings. My richest city has over 2 million office jobs in it, and only 95,000 high tech jobs.

Anything else, just ask.
I'll make sure to try the bus stops out. I also need more parks for my citizens, but I'm intending to make this the industry/agriculture city. I'll fiddle with each theme, next should be garden city, because I happen to live in one- even if it's a shadow of it's former glory.

Urban planning and themed areas are what I'm looking to expand my city-building visions towards. This first city is an experiment, but I'm trying to build a city where there's a bit of a mix of everything, including agriculture. It is loosely based on some Finnish cities, which tend to feature all kinds of elements. Think Tampere without the water element.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:34 PM
BigT2002

I'm just gonna play Sim Tower

Old
03-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Granlund 64

Any SC II players here?

Trying to jump back into it but I feel so slow compared to how I played in Wings of Liberty.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Almost to one million pucks on NHL 13 HUT since I'm still in the process of selling everything.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Nice, I'm now at 300k pucks.

I should thank the brutal market for that.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Nice, I'm now at 300k pucks.

I should thank the brutal market for that.
How come you got rid of Parise? Aren't you going for an almost all Wild roster? I'd be willing to give you a good deal on SOTW Suter if you're interested (although you might already have him, can't remember).

Old
03-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
How come you got rid of Parise? Aren't you going for an almost all Wild roster? I'd be willing to give you a good deal on SOTW Suter if you're interested (although you might already have him, can't remember).
I didn't. I got one for 50k so I decided to sell it.

And no, I don't have SOTW Suter. I'm kinda scared of ice tilt. BTW, I saw 1 at 95k last night.

Anyways, it'd be sweet to see SOTW Koivu.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Anybody here have the new Sim City? I've heard it's a complete disaster, and I'm just wondering if it's worth my time.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Wueste

I've been playing the new SimCity. It has its issues, and the launch was a disaster, but it is playing better now. I still have some regional sync issues even in my private region. Still, the game is engaging and fun. Every city I've started I've learned something new and improved. Here are some views of some of my own cities. One has the Arcology "great work" in the background. As you can see, the city size is noticeably small and that is my main complaint.

Last edited by Wueste: 03-22-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old
03-22-2013, 02:59 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Anyways, it'd be sweet to see SOTW Koivu.
Whoops, I meant SOTW Brodin (85 ovr perhaps?).

Old
03-22-2013, 03:02 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Anybody here have the new Sim City? I've heard it's a complete disaster, and I'm just wondering if it's worth my time.
The general consensus from anyone who cares about actual mechanics is that Sim City 5 is a complete joke. The traffic is total ****, civic services are garbage (and reportedly still are after the patch this week), you dont even need commercial or industrial to build a rich town, just residential and parks. The population is artificially inflated, bigtime, the actual sims dont actually have jobs or homes, they just go to the nearest open jobs every morning and then the nearest open home every night. Region play is broken with total lack of sync, if it syncs are all. And the always on aspect of the game is nothing more than two lines of code can be easily circumvented.

On the plus side, it's pretty. That's it.

Right now pretty much everything EA has tried to sell people on about this game is a total sham. This game is more or less a publicly released alpha, as features aren't even close to fully implemented.

I'd wait a year, assuming the game survives that long. I'm glad I didn't get it.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:43 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Whoops, I meant SOTW Brodin (85 ovr perhaps?).
Brodin isn't even in HUT (I've looked everywhere, NHL, AHL, SEL, etc.) so there's no way he gets to be a SOTW. Would love to see a SOTW Koivu though.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Eple

Quote:
Brodin isn't even in HUT (I've looked everywhere, NHL, AHL, SEL, etc.) so there's no way he gets to be a SOTW. Would love to see a SOTW Koivu though.
I don't know how they screwed that up so badly, he was after all in the revious game. Real shame, I could've used him in my all-Wild lineup, which by the way worked very well for some time but then I started losing and I've since regressed back to abusing Lemieux and others . I however still have Koivu, Parise, Heater, Suter and Spurgeon in my team so it's not like I've abadoned all of them.

I really hope they have Coyle, Brodin and Zucks in the Wild uni right from the start and with decent stats too. Don't give me that 65 ovr juniors crap.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Pinchy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
The new Sim city has some problems, but it is fun and the graphics are great. the downside is I don't see the replay value compared to sim city 4. even more so with the moding community that 4 has. The best thing about the new Sim city is that it made me load windows xp onto an external HDD and play some sim city 4 because I've never got it to run correctly on windows 7.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy11 View Post
The new Sim city has some problems, but it is fun and the graphics are great. the downside is I don't see the replay value compared to sim city 4. even more so with the moding community that 4 has. The best thing about the new Sim city is that it made me load windows xp onto an external HDD and play some sim city 4 because I've never got it to run correctly on windows 7.
If you really want to play 4, buy it from Steam. I've had zero issues running it.

Better yet, get Tropico 4, it's a hell of a lot more fun, IMO

Old
03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eple View Post
I don't know how they screwed that up so badly, he was after all in the revious game. Real shame, I could've used him in my all-Wild lineup, which by the way worked very well for some time but then I started losing and I've since regressed back to abusing Lemieux and others . I however still have Koivu, Parise, Heater, Suter and Spurgeon in my team so it's not like I've abadoned all of them.

I really hope they have Coyle, Brodin and Zucks in the Wild uni right from the start and with decent stats too. Don't give me that 65 ovr juniors crap.
They'll be in the game next year for sure, but I'm not sure which ones will be on the Wild roster and which ones will be on the Houston roster. EA is pretty inconsistent about stuff like that.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Yes I know that but Brunner wasn't in the game as well so you never know.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Yes I know that but Brunner wasn't in the game as well so you never know.
Yes he is actually. He's in one of the European leagues.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Damnit, didn't know that.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
I don't want to play HUT without Sotw Koivu available.. Don't have the heart to take him off the #1. C position.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Thanks for the SC info everyone. I think I'll hold off for a while before buying it. I have all of the older versions, but I have not played in a long time. I thought it showed a lot of promise, but it looks like it needs a lot of work before being what it could be.

Closed Thread