HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 13 & General Video Game Discussion Part Quatre

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2013, 12:37 AM
  #976
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,336
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
God damnit, Avder.





With NHL 13, GTA IV, Fallout: NV, Civilization V and other stuff, I thought I wouldn't have time for this. Oh well. Installed the NAM and industrial job mods as well. Actually, I've never made it that far before in Sim City. I guess some time off the game, the mods and some patience as well as reading your posts actually helped.

I know it's not a large city yet, but I just started playing like an hour ago or so. I really need to grab some sleep now, the sun is already rising.

__________________


Puhis is online now  
Old
03-20-2013, 01:30 AM
  #977
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Location: Location.
Country: United States
Posts: 33,763
vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
God damnit, Avder.





With NHL 13, GTA IV, Fallout: NV, Civilization V and other stuff, I thought I wouldn't have time for this. Oh well. Installed the NAM and industrial job mods as well. Actually, I've never made it that far before in Sim City. I guess some time off the game, the mods and some patience as well as reading your posts actually helped.

I know it's not a large city yet, but I just started playing like an hour ago or so. I really need to grab some sleep now, the sun is already rising.
You should also look into a slope mod. It makes the roads look a lot better by getting rid of that roller-coaster effect. (see bottom left of your pic) As a side effect it can sometimes make it infuriating to build even the simplest thing. Occasionally it gets so bad that I quit, remove the mod, re-start, build what I wanted, quit again, and reinstall the mod. because you know, sometimes I just want the damned thing to build and I dont care how it looks. function over form and all that, but I really like things to look nice too.

Anyhoo, a picture of the largest city in my 21,000,000 sim region:


Some tips (at least if you want a huge, gridded out city like this):

Use roads for pretty much everything except dead-end streets. Ignore the city planner when he begs you to stop upgrading streets.

Every couple of blocks, use an avenue. With NAM installed, the sims will tend to use the higher capacity arterials a lot more than without it, so its good to designate the routes you want used ahead of time, before your city gets really big.

Put a bus stop on every corner. No, seriously. I have a bus stop on every single intersection in that city. Actually, its a combination bus stop/subway. But using it ahead of time allows you to take advantage of the bus network until you can afford to install and maintain an actual subway network.

Get to know the NWM networks. They kill congestion in a big way. In particular that TLA-3 and 5 are great to use in place of congested roads and avenues. And if congestion gets really bad and you can stomache demolishing one tile along an avenue/TLA-5 to upgrade to a three tile road, the TLA-7 is the magnum option.

Once you have demand for cleaner industries like manufacturing and high tech, set the tax on dirty to 20%. Some of it will natually convert upwards to manufacturing, but at some point you should de-zone, let the pollution clear up, and re-zone it to allow it to be built a lot cleaner. And if you want high tech to build you need to minimize manufacturing as well. Basically treat high tech like high wealth residential. That means parks every so often, away from main roads, and very far away from anything that creates pollution.

Lets see what else...

Dont go crazy on services. The only service your city absolutely has to have is fire protection, and thats mostly so you dont have to keep putting out fires manually all the time. The next service should be schools. Use the large elementary school. Be sure to set the bus funding to zero. Putting them in when you are using low density may sound excessive because you'll only have a few students in each of them, but once you start upgrading in density you will be glad you have them in place.

Libraries and museums are good for educating older sims.

In fact, if you are dirt poor and cant afford anything, take out the school and put in a library. Your EQ will increase at a much lower rate, but it will keep increasing.

As a matter of fact, if you are going to build a city full of slums (of which my region has many), you can get away with just elementaries and libraries, and your poor people will eventually reach a 200 average EQ. Some museums help a bit too.

Anything else just ask.

Also, you may notice something interesting about all the buildings in my picture...or rather the buildings that aren't there.

Also, google the industrial/high-tech census fix. There's a bug in the original game that makes it so high wealth sims never work at high tech, when high tech is supposed to employ 10% high wealth. It's a considerably more involved installation process, so make sure you find the tutorial on it and follow it precisely, or you could screw something up bigtime.

Also, dont get too crazy about filling various demands for industry. Industry has a very low jobs-per-tile ratio, so you actually want to minimize it. In the end, your big employer type will be the offices, as both high wealth and mid wealth offices can provide thousands of jobs per building with high density, high-stage buildings. My richest city has over 2 million office jobs in it, and only 95,000 high tech jobs.

Anything else, just ask.

Avder is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:32 PM
  #978
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder
Anything else, just ask.
Is there a Sim EMP bomb?

Sim Fusion Bomb?


bozak911 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:15 PM
  #979
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Location: Location.
Country: United States
Posts: 33,763
vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Is there a Sim EMP bomb?

Sim Fusion Bomb?

Sure. Remove fire protection from an area, plop down a Nuclear Power Plant, and set it on fire. Should blow up around 66% of the time.

Renders the whole area uninhabitable for a couple hundred thousand years.

Avder is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:48 PM
  #980
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,336
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
You should also look into a slope mod. It makes the roads look a lot better by getting rid of that roller-coaster effect. (see bottom left of your pic) As a side effect it can sometimes make it infuriating to build even the simplest thing. Occasionally it gets so bad that I quit, remove the mod, re-start, build what I wanted, quit again, and reinstall the mod. because you know, sometimes I just want the damned thing to build and I dont care how it looks. function over form and all that, but I really like things to look nice too.

Anyhoo, a picture of the largest city in my 21,000,000 sim region:


Some tips (at least if you want a huge, gridded out city like this):

Use roads for pretty much everything except dead-end streets. Ignore the city planner when he begs you to stop upgrading streets.

Every couple of blocks, use an avenue. With NAM installed, the sims will tend to use the higher capacity arterials a lot more than without it, so its good to designate the routes you want used ahead of time, before your city gets really big.

Put a bus stop on every corner. No, seriously. I have a bus stop on every single intersection in that city. Actually, its a combination bus stop/subway. But using it ahead of time allows you to take advantage of the bus network until you can afford to install and maintain an actual subway network.

Get to know the NWM networks. They kill congestion in a big way. In particular that TLA-3 and 5 are great to use in place of congested roads and avenues. And if congestion gets really bad and you can stomache demolishing one tile along an avenue/TLA-5 to upgrade to a three tile road, the TLA-7 is the magnum option.

Once you have demand for cleaner industries like manufacturing and high tech, set the tax on dirty to 20%. Some of it will natually convert upwards to manufacturing, but at some point you should de-zone, let the pollution clear up, and re-zone it to allow it to be built a lot cleaner. And if you want high tech to build you need to minimize manufacturing as well. Basically treat high tech like high wealth residential. That means parks every so often, away from main roads, and very far away from anything that creates pollution.

Lets see what else...

Dont go crazy on services. The only service your city absolutely has to have is fire protection, and thats mostly so you dont have to keep putting out fires manually all the time. The next service should be schools. Use the large elementary school. Be sure to set the bus funding to zero. Putting them in when you are using low density may sound excessive because you'll only have a few students in each of them, but once you start upgrading in density you will be glad you have them in place.

Libraries and museums are good for educating older sims.

In fact, if you are dirt poor and cant afford anything, take out the school and put in a library. Your EQ will increase at a much lower rate, but it will keep increasing.

As a matter of fact, if you are going to build a city full of slums (of which my region has many), you can get away with just elementaries and libraries, and your poor people will eventually reach a 200 average EQ. Some museums help a bit too.

Anything else just ask.

Also, you may notice something interesting about all the buildings in my picture...or rather the buildings that aren't there.

Also, google the industrial/high-tech census fix. There's a bug in the original game that makes it so high wealth sims never work at high tech, when high tech is supposed to employ 10% high wealth. It's a considerably more involved installation process, so make sure you find the tutorial on it and follow it precisely, or you could screw something up bigtime.

Also, dont get too crazy about filling various demands for industry. Industry has a very low jobs-per-tile ratio, so you actually want to minimize it. In the end, your big employer type will be the offices, as both high wealth and mid wealth offices can provide thousands of jobs per building with high density, high-stage buildings. My richest city has over 2 million office jobs in it, and only 95,000 high tech jobs.

Anything else, just ask.
I'll make sure to try the bus stops out. I also need more parks for my citizens, but I'm intending to make this the industry/agriculture city. I'll fiddle with each theme, next should be garden city, because I happen to live in one- even if it's a shadow of it's former glory.

Urban planning and themed areas are what I'm looking to expand my city-building visions towards. This first city is an experiment, but I'm trying to build a city where there's a bit of a mix of everything, including agriculture. It is loosely based on some Finnish cities, which tend to feature all kinds of elements. Think Tampere without the water element.

Puhis is online now  
Old
03-20-2013, 05:34 PM
  #981
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,852
vCash: 500
I'm just gonna play Sim Tower

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:50 PM
  #982
Granlund 64
Registered User
 
Granlund 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Country:
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Any SC II players here?

Trying to jump back into it but I feel so slow compared to how I played in Wings of Liberty.

Granlund 64 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:53 PM
  #983
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,579
vCash: 500
Almost to one million pucks on NHL 13 HUT since I'm still in the process of selling everything.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:58 PM
  #984
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Nice, I'm now at 300k pucks.

I should thank the brutal market for that.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:02 PM
  #985
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Nice, I'm now at 300k pucks.

I should thank the brutal market for that.
How come you got rid of Parise? Aren't you going for an almost all Wild roster? I'd be willing to give you a good deal on SOTW Suter if you're interested (although you might already have him, can't remember).

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:05 PM
  #986
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
How come you got rid of Parise? Aren't you going for an almost all Wild roster? I'd be willing to give you a good deal on SOTW Suter if you're interested (although you might already have him, can't remember).
I didn't. I got one for 50k so I decided to sell it.

And no, I don't have SOTW Suter. I'm kinda scared of ice tilt. BTW, I saw 1 at 95k last night.

Anyways, it'd be sweet to see SOTW Koivu.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:19 PM
  #987
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?
 
Northland Wild Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Anybody here have the new Sim City? I've heard it's a complete disaster, and I'm just wondering if it's worth my time.

Northland Wild Man is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:46 AM
  #988
Wueste
Registered User
 
Wueste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
I've been playing the new SimCity. It has its issues, and the launch was a disaster, but it is playing better now. I still have some regional sync issues even in my private region. Still, the game is engaging and fun. Every city I've started I've learned something new and improved. Here are some views of some of my own cities. One has the Arcology "great work" in the background. As you can see, the city size is noticeably small and that is my main complaint.





Last edited by Wueste: 03-22-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Wueste is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 02:59 AM
  #989
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Anyways, it'd be sweet to see SOTW Koivu.
Whoops, I meant SOTW Brodin (85 ovr perhaps?).

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 03:02 AM
  #990
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Location: Location.
Country: United States
Posts: 33,763
vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Anybody here have the new Sim City? I've heard it's a complete disaster, and I'm just wondering if it's worth my time.
The general consensus from anyone who cares about actual mechanics is that Sim City 5 is a complete joke. The traffic is total ****, civic services are garbage (and reportedly still are after the patch this week), you dont even need commercial or industrial to build a rich town, just residential and parks. The population is artificially inflated, bigtime, the actual sims dont actually have jobs or homes, they just go to the nearest open jobs every morning and then the nearest open home every night. Region play is broken with total lack of sync, if it syncs are all. And the always on aspect of the game is nothing more than two lines of code can be easily circumvented.

On the plus side, it's pretty. That's it.

Right now pretty much everything EA has tried to sell people on about this game is a total sham. This game is more or less a publicly released alpha, as features aren't even close to fully implemented.

I'd wait a year, assuming the game survives that long. I'm glad I didn't get it.

Avder is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 04:43 AM
  #991
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Whoops, I meant SOTW Brodin (85 ovr perhaps?).
Brodin isn't even in HUT (I've looked everywhere, NHL, AHL, SEL, etc.) so there's no way he gets to be a SOTW. Would love to see a SOTW Koivu though.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 09:34 AM
  #992
Eple
Registered User
 
Eple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Brodin isn't even in HUT (I've looked everywhere, NHL, AHL, SEL, etc.) so there's no way he gets to be a SOTW. Would love to see a SOTW Koivu though.
I don't know how they screwed that up so badly, he was after all in the revious game. Real shame, I could've used him in my all-Wild lineup, which by the way worked very well for some time but then I started losing and I've since regressed back to abusing Lemieux and others . I however still have Koivu, Parise, Heater, Suter and Spurgeon in my team so it's not like I've abadoned all of them.

I really hope they have Coyle, Brodin and Zucks in the Wild uni right from the start and with decent stats too. Don't give me that 65 ovr juniors crap.

Eple is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
  #993
Pinchy11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Anybody here have the new Sim City? I've heard it's a complete disaster, and I'm just wondering if it's worth my time.
The new Sim city has some problems, but it is fun and the graphics are great. the downside is I don't see the replay value compared to sim city 4. even more so with the moding community that 4 has. The best thing about the new Sim city is that it made me load windows xp onto an external HDD and play some sim city 4 because I've never got it to run correctly on windows 7.

Pinchy11 is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
  #994
Vashanesh
My best outfit
 
Vashanesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 2,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy11 View Post
The new Sim city has some problems, but it is fun and the graphics are great. the downside is I don't see the replay value compared to sim city 4. even more so with the moding community that 4 has. The best thing about the new Sim city is that it made me load windows xp onto an external HDD and play some sim city 4 because I've never got it to run correctly on windows 7.
If you really want to play 4, buy it from Steam. I've had zero issues running it.

Better yet, get Tropico 4, it's a hell of a lot more fun, IMO

Vashanesh is online now  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
  #995
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eple View Post
I don't know how they screwed that up so badly, he was after all in the revious game. Real shame, I could've used him in my all-Wild lineup, which by the way worked very well for some time but then I started losing and I've since regressed back to abusing Lemieux and others . I however still have Koivu, Parise, Heater, Suter and Spurgeon in my team so it's not like I've abadoned all of them.

I really hope they have Coyle, Brodin and Zucks in the Wild uni right from the start and with decent stats too. Don't give me that 65 ovr juniors crap.
They'll be in the game next year for sure, but I'm not sure which ones will be on the Wild roster and which ones will be on the Houston roster. EA is pretty inconsistent about stuff like that.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
  #996
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Brodin isn't even in HUT (I've looked everywhere, NHL, AHL, SEL, etc.) so there's no way he gets to be a SOTW. Would love to see a SOTW Koivu though.
Yes I know that but Brunner wasn't in the game as well so you never know.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
  #997
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Yes I know that but Brunner wasn't in the game as well so you never know.
Yes he is actually. He's in one of the European leagues.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
  #998
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Damnit, didn't know that.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 01:37 PM
  #999
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund
 
Lars The GOAT Eller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,373
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
I don't want to play HUT without Sotw Koivu available.. Don't have the heart to take him off the #1. C position.

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now  
Old
03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
  #1000
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?
 
Northland Wild Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Thanks for the SC info everyone. I think I'll hold off for a while before buying it. I have all of the older versions, but I have not played in a long time. I thought it showed a lot of promise, but it looks like it needs a lot of work before being what it could be.

Northland Wild Man is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.