WHL Revenue Sharing?

Old
09-17-2012, 12:57 AM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
WHL Revenue Sharing?

Well, some franchises, things certainly don't look good:

Brandon -

"With only one week to go until the season opens," Shewaga wrote, "the WHL club is well behind last year's season ticket pace and getting more than a little concerned. With a total of 2,284 season tickets sold, the Wheat Kings are about 700 shy of last year’s total of 2,973, a number they hoped to surpass this year as expenses continue to rise.”

Lethbridge -

The Lethbridge Hurricanes have lost more than $1 million over the last two seasons, including $602,000 in 2011-12.

Swift Current -

The Swift Current Broncos have lost in the neighbourhood of $800,000 on their hockey operation in each of the last two seasons. For 2010-11, that number was $882,587. However, off-ice fund-raising, along with corporate sponsorship and suites, left the deficit at $197,226.
For 2009-10, the loss suffered by the hockey operation was $820,688. However, again, money from such things as corporate sponsorships, suites and the World Junior Championship cut the overall deficit to $58,927.

I must laugh, as the Chilliwack Bruins lost less then 400,000 in their last year - and they had the plug pulled on them...

Anyways, time for revenue sharing?

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

vCash: 814
Wouldn't be surprised if it was put into place for next season.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:12 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if it was put into place for next season.
I would be. Good luck getting teams like Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary etc agreeing to this. Something like this would have to be approved by the board of governors and I doubt it could happen that quickly.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:18 PM
RetiredHockeyDad

vCash: 500
WHL Revenue Sharing?

Small Market teams
Average attendance - 2000

Calgary Hitmen
Average attendance - 8000
(8000 - 2000) x $20 per ticket x 36 home games = $4.3 million more net income
add higher corporate sponsorship, rinkboard advertising, concessions and the difference could be staggering.

For survival of the league, some sort of revenue sharing needs to take place or we are going to see some teams are going by the wayside.

RetiredHockeyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I would be. Good luck getting teams like Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary etc agreeing to this. Something like this would have to be approved by the board of governors and I doubt it could happen that quickly.
If Revenue Sharing isn't in place soon, a lot of smaller marketing teams will die out very quickly.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:30 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
the WHL is quickly going to turn into a league of haves and have nots. Swift Current, Prince Albert, Kootenay, all will eventually be run down without revenue sharing, or caps of some sort on the big market teams.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:48 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
If Revenue Sharing isn't in place soon, a lot of smaller marketing teams will die out very quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
the WHL is quickly going to turn into a league of haves and have nots. Swift Current, Prince Albert, Kootenay, all will eventually be run down without revenue sharing, or caps of some sort on the big market teams.
Not disagreeing with either of these statements. Just saying it's not as easy as flipping a switch.

Good luck getting teams who make money turn around and give some of it away to poor teams.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:54 AM
I am the Liquor

Bad teams in small markets will lose money.

No revelation there.

As Renegade says, good luck getting the big city teams on board with revenue sharing.

Not that it wouldnt be a bad idea if done right.

But if the same teams keep losing money year after year then revenue sharing isnt the answer.

Not sure if that is the case or not. My guess would be it is the poor teams in the small centers that lose money. Hard to get excited about getting season tickets to watch one-sided shellackings of the home team night after night.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 03:36 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Not disagreeing with either of these statements. Just saying it's not as easy as flipping a switch.

Good luck getting teams who make money turn around and give some of it away to poor teams.
The thing is, the WHL is turning in from almost all teams being small market (ie, 2000-4000 fans per game 5-10 years ago) to now having franchises in the NHL markets, large markets in BC, in which the original teams can't keep up. Swift Current, Prince Albert, Lethbridge for example.

And I've come from supporting both sides.

- Ontario, where I grew up, I supported the OHL's London Knights, 9000 fans per game, and on the ice, la creme de la creme of the OHL

- British Columbia, where I moved to in 2010 to 2012, I got on board with the WHL's Chilliwack Bruins, 3000-4000 fans per game, on the ice, a below-average team. Tickets were cheaper, the rink was never full, and as everyone knows - the team no longer exists.

Either way, I must say that I much more enjoyed cheering for Chilliwack over London. Maybe it was because I was able to get to 25-30 games per season, while in London, it was at best 3-5 games a year. Cheering for a small market, one where success wasn't expected also was in some ways, special to me.

And now, I'm out towards Surrey & Langley, and am stuck. NHL Lockout, and no way I cheer for the Giants. May want to cheer for a BCHL team (Langley or Surrey) but the appeal for me is tougher.

Last edited by go_leafs_go02: 09-20-2012 at 03:42 PM.