HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2012, 02:39 PM
KISSland

vCash: 500
How the hell does that become one of the worse trades in our franchise history?

I'm pretty optimistic. Still bummed Cody's gone(even with everything said and done.)

Going over this again is upsetting. We really to end this lock out.

Old
10-06-2012, 04:08 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
alexandre giroux is an AHL superstar. How's he doing?
Wow. What a tremendous way to make it clear that you're just pulling stuff out of your ass, thanks for saving me the the time I might have otherwise wasted.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Giroux was the first guy that popped up in my mind but there are other examples..

like Nazem Kadri. near PPG player in the AHL and he's getting awfully close to the disappointing draft pick territory

Old
10-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
alexandre giroux is an AHL superstar. How's he doing?
Hodgson actually had some very favourable minutes that might have inflated his statistics. He was lights out against the Boston's, Detroit's I think Kassian will come around, he's just had a bit more of a learning curve.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:24 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
hodgson had over 40 points in his first full season, playing bottom 6 minutes for the majority of it. on the sabres he will receive every opportunity to shine offensively.

kassian is an ahl/nhl tweener at this point. i'd say when he was added to our fourth line last year, he actually brought that line down instead of improving it.

maybe i'm just selling the guy short but i don't think he'll amount to much
41 pts. That's earth shattering while given sheltered minutes and zone starts.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:25 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Hodgson actually had some very favourable minutes that might have inflated his statistics. He was lights out against the Boston's, Detroit's I think Kassian will come around, he's just had a bit more of a learning curve.
Actually, it was that Road game vs Det that exposed Hodgson dearly as he was destroyed by Helm's line.

Old
10-07-2012, 01:15 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Giroux was the first guy that popped up in my mind but there are other examples..

like Nazem Kadri. near PPG player in the AHL and he's getting awfully close to the disappointing draft pick territory
Is Giroux an AHL rookie? Was he younger than Hodgson when he put up a ppg clip in the AHL?
No? Then I don't think he's a very good example.

You're on the right track with Kadri though. I don't know what his problem is, given that I haven't seen him play. Apparently he doesn't know how to play in his own end. Interestingly, Hodgson also struggles with this problem, but you still think he's a great prospect.

I'm really not sure what you're basing you're assumptions on to sell Kassian short. He's still only 21yrs old, has yet to play a full NHL season with the same team (it takes a lot of veteran players months to adjust to a new team, never mind a raw rookie), showed terrific stats as a comparatively young AHL rookie, and seems to have the right desire to improve himself.

It seems that there is always a small group of fans that expect rookies to light the league on fire - that don't understand that it takes a lot of young players years before they adjust to the NHL game. The funny thing is that these same fans would have run Neely, or Naslund out of town. (Or the Sedins or Kesler for that matter.)

Old
10-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
on the sabres he will receive every opportunity to shine offensively.
Hodgson clearly did with the Sabres and he dropped the ball. Ruff, after a period of time, did what? Right, he shoved him down the roster (re: bottom six minutes). With the recent draft, I think he's dropped even further down the Sabres depth charts.

He still has the talent to overcome that, but the hill has just gotten bigger to climb for him.

Old
10-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Hodgson clearly did with the Sabres and he dropped the ball. Ruff, after a period of time, did what? Right, he shoved him down the roster (re: bottom six minutes). With the recent draft, I think he's dropped even further down the Sabres depth charts.

He still has the talent to overcome that, but the hill has just gotten bigger to climb for him.
If Grigs reaches his potential, he goes on the top line. One of Coho or Ennis will be the second line, while Girgs will most likely be centering the 3rd line.

It all depends of Grigs though. If he does reach his potential, I can see one of Coho or Ennis being traded.

Old
10-07-2012, 05:35 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
If Grigs reaches his potential, he goes on the top line. One of Coho or Ennis will be the second line, while Girgs will most likely be centering the 3rd line.

It all depends of Grigs though. If he does reach his potential, I can see one of Coho or Ennis being traded.
Grigs is lights out this year, playing like the top 3 pick he was expected to be. I bet a heap of teams that passed on him are second guessing themselves atm.

Old
10-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Grigs is lights out this year, playing like the top 3 pick he was expected to be. I bet a heap of teams that passed on him are second guessing themselves atm.
16 points in 7 games. Super excited.

Old
10-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Nuck This

IMO Schroeder is a better all around player than Hodgson and a better fit for our third line. Kassian is a need this franchise desperately needed and I feel Kassian will be able to affect the game in many more ways then Hodgson could. Both physically and on the score sheet. I honestly believe the Sabres don't make this trade if they knew they would be getting those two centers they got. Kassian is a better prospect. That's just my opinion. I thought Hodgson was terrible in his own end and didn't improve over all the years he was here. Some players develop early and i think that was him. I dont see much room for growth in Cody's game, whereas Kassian has really no limits, in the way he can pass, shoot, skate, hit and fight. If he can develop all of his game he'll be a scary player and a massive fan favorite. Many of you will be eating crow soon me thinks

Old
10-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

The one thing that disappointed me in the Hodgson deal was that Gillis couldn't find a way to pry Sekera out along with Kassian. Or at the very least, Jordan leopold. Sekera would look very good in our system and Buffalo was desperate for help up the middle. Hodgson was the more proven of the two young forwards and IMO Buffalo should have had to add an asset to the deal because of it.

It will be interesting to compare Hodgson and Kassian's production at the AHL level this season...

Old
10-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The one thing that disappointed me in the Hodgson deal was that Gillis couldn't find a way to pry Sekera out along with Kassian. Or at the very least, Jordan leopold. Sekera would look very good in our system and Buffalo was desperate for help up the middle. Hodgson was the more proven of the two young forwards and IMO Buffalo should have had to add an asset to the deal because of it.

It will be interesting to compare Hodgson and Kassian's production at the AHL level this season...

I felt at the time that the Canucks should have also gotten more in return. That said, as CanaFan explained at the time, upside was in Buffalo's favour. As was the need by VAN to conclude the deal at the deadline (Re: Pahlsson). So MG couldn't press for that extra piece.

Sekera would have cost extra too IMO. A lot more than Hodgson alone.

Old
10-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

Sekera isn't a throw in That's like Buffalo asking for Hansen along with Hodgson.

Old
10-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I felt at the time that the Canucks should have also gotten more in return. That said, as CanaFan explained at the time, upside was in Buffalo's favour. As was the need by VAN to conclude the deal at the deadline (Re: Pahlsson). So MG couldn't press for that extra piece.

Sekera would have cost extra too IMO. A lot more than Hodgson alone.
Gotten more? Were lucky we got Kassian.

Old
10-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post

Hodgson was producing at a top6 rate during his rookie season. He was far more proven. That should have garnered more in trade.

Old
10-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Lolno. In terms of value right now, Hodgson >> Kassian. That may change in time, but at face value we should have asked for more.(Imagine having asked for a 1st...Grigorenko on the Canucks.)

Old
10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Lolno. In terms of value right now, Hodgson >> Kassian. That may change in time, but at face value we should have asked for more.(Imagine having asked for a 1st...Grigorenko on the Canucks.)
why are we still going on about Hodgson?its over and done with move on.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:38 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
That's an easy no from Buffalo.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
That's an easy no from Buffalo.
Yeah, but at the very least we shouldn't have included that Sulzer for MAG swap.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:02 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Yeah, but at the very least we shouldn't have included that Sulzer for MAG swap.
The Sulzer thing is kind of silly because he was behind Alberts and Rome in the depth chart, so #9? And he'd be gone by the end of the year so he had very little value. And he had never played full time in the NHL despite being 28. Tanev is essentially a much younger version of him anyway.

I do agree we could've perhaps gotten a bit more value out of CoHo though, maybe a 3rd I dunno. Then used it to pick Anthanasiou or IDK

I disagree about CoHo having hit his ceiling; if he improves his skating form and endurance he can be a 30-30+ player and eventually become better in his own end. He has an excellent skillset to go along with great vision/shot selection. The comparisons to Drury are pretty good.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
The Sulzer thing is kind of silly because he was behind Alberts and Rome in the depth chart, so #9? And he'd be gone by the end of the year so he had very little value. And he had never played full time in the NHL despite being 28. Tanev is essentially a much younger version of him anyway.

I do agree we could've perhaps gotten a bit more value out of CoHo though, maybe a 3rd I dunno. Then used it to pick Anthanasiou or IDK

I disagree about CoHo having hit his ceiling; if he improves his skating form and endurance he can be a 30-30+ player and eventually become better in his own end. He has an excellent skillset to go along with great vision/shot selection. The comparisons to Drury are pretty good.
Except Drury was a better skater and better defensively....but let's not use reality in this. It's fun making things up.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Except Drury was a better skater and better defensively....but let's not use reality in this. It's fun making things up.
Drury wasn't really a better skater, hence where part of the comparisons come from. Drury may also have been a better defensive player but he was also a 12 year NHL vet, he didn't start out as a polished defensive player. Hodgson, like Drury will get better the more he works at it, and there has been no sign he's unwilling to work on becoming a better player in his own end.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:28 AM
nucksfan8888

Go back to summer of 2011, if anyone had proposed Hodgson for Kassian, it would've been laughed out as hodgson had done nothing in the pros, was injury prone, etc. It's called asset management, and Gillis in conjunction with AV, made Hodgsons percieved value high enough to return something of need. Kassian is something that every team covets, size with speed. Remember Bertuzzi? Now maybe not in terms of points in his prime(unless we get him his own Naslund) but in terms of effect on the game(knocking Pronger and MaCinnis out of a playoff series) he has the ability to do things physically when the chips are down, where as Hodgson would be the player getting knocked out in the corners come playoffs. He'd score some beauties, but he would also allow more chances against, and would need an enforcer type player on his line come hard matchups(even in his prime). Kassian is the kind of guy that could work anywhere lines 1-3 with almost anyone(in his prime). Points wise they will be in the same stratosphere, in terms of impact on the game, Kassian will have the edge for years.

Closed Thread