HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2012, 09:34 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Lapierre instead of Weise though, right?
My bad. Yes definitely.

10-11-2012, 11:28 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
All I have to say is that the 'analysis' in this thread is laughable.

QualComp is based on +/-, Corsi QualComp on Corsi.

The best quality of competition measure is TOI Qualcomp, which measures the average TOI numbers of a player's competition. Good players get more ice time, which means that you're actually sussing out some measure of quality. Here is the Canucks's chart for last season:

The Sedins, by far, played the toughest minutes on the team.
Can it really be called "toughest" when 70+% of their shifts against the other team's best players come in the attacking zone though? If it was in their own end I think you could say this, but...

Old
10-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Can it really be called "toughest" when 70+% of their shifts against the other team's best players come in the attacking zone though? If it was in their own end I think you could say this, but...
Would you rather start in the O-zone against Weber and Suter or in your own zone against Klein and Gill? I know which I'd choose.

Also, the Sedins don't start 70% of their shifts in the O-zone. That percentage is a ratio of O-zone starts to D-zone starts that doesn't include anything in the neutral zone. They start 50% in the O-zone, 38% in the neutral zone and 12% in their own zone, roughly.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:14 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Well this is the first step into a long pointless discussion about semantics but the point is that the Sedins without question go up against the toughest opposition of any Canuck forwards, they are counted on to produce and with the exception of a bad drought this winter they have done so for several years running now.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:26 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Would you rather start in the O-zone against Weber and Suter or in your own zone against Klein and Gill? I know which I'd choose.

Also, the Sedins don't start 70% of their shifts in the O-zone. That percentage is a ratio of O-zone starts to D-zone starts that doesn't include anything in the neutral zone. They start 50% in the O-zone, 38% in the neutral zone and 12% in their own zone, roughly.
Oh, I didn't know that. So a 66% O-zone start really means that for every two O-zone starts he gets a D-zone start?

Old
10-12-2012, 04:35 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Well this is the first step into a long pointless discussion about semantics but the point is that the Sedins without question go up against the toughest opposition of any Canuck forwards, they are counted on to produce and with the exception of a bad drought this winter they have done so for several years running now.
Thanks for that, didn't know that actually.

It's always going to be a little tougher having to start in your end, no? And it's not like you'll always be facing 3rd pairing defenders either. However the real concern behind this has nothing to do with stats, but rather the erosion of their defensive game, which I'm not sure justifies squeezing as much offence as possible from out of the Sedins.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Scurr

Quote:
It's always going to be a little tougher having to start in your end, no? And it's not like you'll always be facing 3rd pairing defenders either. However the real concern behind this has nothing to do with stats, but rather the erosion of their defensive game, which I'm not sure justifies squeezing as much offence as possible from out of the Sedins.
I thought that was the Preds 2nd pair?

Yes, starting in your own zone is a disadvantage. So is having to play against Weber/Suter or Keith/Seabrook every shift. The Canucks think that starting the twins in the O-zone is more important than any matchup. It should really free up the other lines to get match ups but it looks bad when the Sedins get shutdown and nobody else can chip in.

I agree with you on their defensive game. I'm less concerned after seeing Henrik up his game physically in these playoffs. A lot of their problems defensively in the playoffs came from them not being able to find another gear imo. I'm hoping they figured it out, I don't think it's a lack of caring from those guys.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Thanks for that
I've learned a ton from this board, I'm happy to pass it along.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:12 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
I thought that was the Preds 2nd pair?
I think you're right, they probably are NSH's 2nd pair.

Quote:
Yes, starting in your own zone is a disadvantage. So is having to play against Weber/Suter or Keith/Seabrook every shift. The Canucks think that starting the twins in the O-zone is more important than any matchup. It should really free up the other lines to get match ups but it looks bad when the Sedins get shutdown and nobody else can chip in.

I agree with you on their defensive game. I'm less concerned after seeing Henrik up his game physically in these playoffs. A lot of their problems defensively in the playoffs came from them not being able to find another gear imo. I'm hoping they figured it out, I don't think it's a lack of caring from those guys.
When I look at a lot of other teams who've won, a lot of their top liners played an important two-way role on route to the Cup - Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Toews, Brown, and Kopitar. I'd like to think we could do this too, just so that if they aren't scoring, at least they're good defensively. But maybe that's just not possible with this team because there isn't as much scoring outside of the Sedins and Kesler as we think?

Old
10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Scurr

Quote:
When I look at a lot of other teams who've won, a lot of their top liners played an important two-way role on route to the Cup - Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Toews, Brown, and Kopitar. I'd like to think we could do this too, just so that if they aren't scoring, at least they're good defensively. But maybe that's just not possible with this team because there isn't as much scoring outside of the Sedins and Kesler as we think?
The twins are good defensively imo. They play their positions and don't turn the puck over. Some of those guys you mentioned are the best of the best defensive forwards in the league... the Sedins aren't that.

We have scoring depth on the wing but can't expect a line with Pahlsson or Lapierre centring it to produce with any kind of consistency. That means that the Hank and Kesler lines have to produce. That's tough order over the course of a single series, it means producing every game.

Old
10-13-2012, 01:02 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Where did you get those numbers? I've actually been trying to track that information down.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Where did you get those numbers? I've actually been trying to track that information down.
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...61+62+64+65+66

I used the face-off wins and losses and did the math myself.

Old
10-13-2012, 05:53 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
The twins are good defensively imo. They play their positions and don't turn the puck over. Some of those guys you mentioned are the best of the best defensive forwards in the league... the Sedins aren't that.

We have scoring depth on the wing but can't expect a line with Pahlsson or Lapierre centring it to produce with any kind of consistency. That means that the Hank and Kesler lines have to produce. That's tough order over the course of a single series, it means producing every game.
This is probably the main reason why a playmaking, two-way centre should be a priority in a future trade, if Schroeder doesn't cut it. IMO, more important than adding another 'top 6' winger, as having 3 lines that can score is better than 2 stacked scoring lines and 1 poor one.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:01 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
I have some trades that would end up in the Canucks having this lineup:

Alex Ovechkin-Sidney Crosby-Corey Perry
Ilya Kovalchuk-Evgeni Malkin-Claude Giroux
Loui Eriksson-Steven Stamkos-Martin St. Louis
Milan Lucic-Jonathan Toews-Marian Hossa

Ryan Suter-Shea Weber
Zdeno Chara-Erik Karlsson
Duncan Keith-Brent Seabrook

Henrik Lundqvist
Jonathan Quick

But it's a secret

Old
10-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
I have some trades that would end up in the Canucks having this lineup:

Alex Ovechkin-Sidney Crosby-Corey Perry
Ilya Kovalchuk-Evgeni Malkin-Claude Giroux
Loui Eriksson-Steven Stamkos-Martin St. Louis
Milan Lucic-Jonathan Toews-Marian Hossa

Ryan Suter-Shea Weber
Zdeno Chara-Erik Karlsson
Duncan Keith-Brent Seabrook

Henrik Lundqvist
Jonathan Quick

But it's a secret
I'd be more interested to know how you fit it all under the salary cap.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Scurr

Quote:
This is probably the main reason why a playmaking, two-way centre should be a priority in a future trade, if Schroeder doesn't cut it. IMO, more important than adding another 'top 6' winger, as having 3 lines that can score is better than 2 stacked scoring lines and 1 poor one.
I'm hoping the Canucks are so high on Schroeder that they haven't brought anyone else in. If Kassian and Schroeder can pitch in, we're lookin' good.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:24 AM
ZenMaster*

Why Gillis traded for Kassian

Reason #1:

Reason #2: (10:25)

Two aspects that Hodgson will never be able to do in his career.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:29 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Sweatt goal @ 10:50 of the 2nd vid. Great work by Kassian.

If he could be consistent period-to-period he would be a scary player.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:30 AM
DL44

vCash: 133
Love it...

He will be a solid beast when he's fully developed..

Old
10-15-2012, 12:38 AM
BrandonL

That second clip is the perfect example of how his game could eventually mesh with the Sedins.

Hopefully he continues to develop into the beast we all know he can become.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:39 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Are there any Wolves fans at the arena? wtf

Old
10-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Eddie Vedder

Didnt he get rid of Raffi Torres because of hits like the first video?

Old
10-15-2012, 12:54 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Vedder View Post
You mean, clean shoulder-to-shoulder hits? Only if. But it's pretty known that Torres asked for two years but GMMG only wanted to give him one.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:00 AM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Vedder View Post
Shoulder-to-shoulder hits on players with the puck?

Old
10-15-2012, 01:05 AM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
mike gillis is that you

Closed Thread