HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
1) inconsistent scoring is to be expected, but this is a bottom 6 role, not too 6. Torres was also one of our top players in the playoffs, especially the SCF. One of the only players from the SCF who shouldn't be upset by his performance.

2) Cooke is a little ***** who will dish it but won't defend himself. Torres will actually drop the gloves and fight when it's time to fight. If the team is that easily distracted and put off by a controversial hit then our leadership group needs to go.
Not even close, IMO.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:45 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Not even close, IMO.
I thought that he had a pretty impactful playoffs.

Destroyed Seabrook. Injured Thornton and game winner in G1 of SCF.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

7 pts in 23 games too. Thats around what most of our 2/3 liner were putting up.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

I'm not saying he wasn't good, but I'd say he was still the weakest of our 3rd line... Probably still only somewhere around our 8th or so best forward.

The other guys on his line (Hansen, Lapierre, Higgins) usually did all the actual heavy lifting.

Old
10-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
I'm not saying he wasn't good, but I'd say he was still the weakest of our 3rd line... Probably still only somewhere around our 8th or so best forward.

The other guys on his line (Hansen, Lapierre, Higgins) usually did all the actual heavy lifting.
Higgins played the majority of the post season after the Hawks series on the 2nd line so I wouldn't really consider him a line mate.

I think Torres made the biggest impact through out the run out of Lappy & Hansen but in saying that all 3 played great. When I think about that run it really seems like we had either a line, the PP or a player step up big in games.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Higgins played the majority of the post season after the Hawks series on the 2nd line so I wouldn't really consider him a line mate.

I think Torres made the biggest impact through out the run out of Lappy & Hansen but in saying that all 3 played great. When I think about that run it really seems like we had either a line, the PP or a player step up big in games.
I think that's crazy talk. They did all the work! That's like saying Carter made the biggest impact on the Sedin line (and I'm not exaggerating here).

The third line was exactly as effective, if not more with Higgins on it than it was with Torres. Torres had his moments as a finisher/hitter who capitalized on the fantastic play of the other two, but the other two were why that line was so strong. Put Hansen on a line with average 3rd liners and he's still playing out of his mind-- Put Torres on a line with average 3rd liners, forcing him to do his own dirty work and HE would look average, IMO.

Relative to what you expected from him/his talent level, Torres played great, but I don't agree that he was much more than that at all.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 10-20-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old
10-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Going to have to agree with Shareefruck here. Lapierre played to all his potential and then some throughout the playoffs and Hansen IMO was our 3rd best defensive forward in the playoffs. After Burrows and Kesler. Torres had a bunch of hits that were important but to me Hansen and Lapierre were the glue that made that line so effective at checking.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Going to have to agree with Shareefruck here. Lapierre played to all his potential and then some throughout the playoffs and Hansen IMO was our 3rd best defensive forward in the playoffs. After Burrows and Kesler. Torres had a bunch of hits that were important but to me Hansen and Lapierre were the glue that made that line so effective at checking.
Nothing annoys me more than "Goalscoring + Hitting > ALL other aspects of hockey combined" mentality, and this is what the Torres thing feels like to me-- literally those are the only two things he occassionally brings, and while that's great, that's just way too much excellent well-rounded three-zone play from Hansen/Lapierre to ignore.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Cogburn

So after tonights game, there are three players I thought really stood out:

Kassian, obviously.

Connauton, who's booming shot wasn't used to any effectiveness on the Wolves powerplays.

Mallet, who didn't get any points, but created chances, hit like a freight train, fought and looked pretty good in his own end. I can see why Gillis drafted him.

In place of try outs/preseason play, I'd be looking to these guys to maintain their play and make the big club.

Schroeder looked overpowered most of the night, Joslin was...well I didn't see him on the ice making any good plays, but was on the ice, and displayed prominently, on two of Abbotsford goals, and Rodin looked like a cheap shot artist more then the two way player I thought he was developing into.

Lack had one real screwup, leaving the net to try to play the puck, getting beaten, then jumping back into the crease to try to stop a one timer coming of a pass across the circles, but otherwise looked as good as a goalie can letting in 4 goals.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Shareefruck

Not saying he was terrible, but watching Schroeder play makes me realize, we need to go out and get a ****ing third line center.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Not saying he was terrible, but watching Schroeder play makes me realize, we need to go out and get a ****ing third line center.
Absolutely agree. A team without cup aspirations could afford to slot this guy into a 3rd line role. The Canucks absolutely cannot.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:57 PM
ahmon

Luongo + Raymond for Bolland + Leddy.

Edler for Voracek

or

Edler + Kassian for Voracek + Simmonds

Use Picks/Prospects to balance the deals out.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Voracek Kesler Simmonds
Higgins Bolland Hansen
x Lappy x

Ham Juice
Garrison Leddy
x Tanev

Schneiderman
x

dump ballard, booth, malhotra, dead weight imo.

miss mitchell, torres, erhoff

Old
10-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

I agree with Ahmon except Torres. His style of play invites retaliation and I'd rather not see Henrik or Daniel get their clock cleaned because of what some other scrub on the team did.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post

Edler for Voracek

or

The Luongo deal is an easy yes.

Edler for Voracek would probably be a mistake, though Voracek is exactly what the 2nd line needs. Edler and Kassian for Voracek and Simmonds is an easy yes for me...

To STL- Edler, Raymond
To Van- Berglund, Stewart

To Chi- Luongo, Connauton
To Van- Leddy, Shaw

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Stewart
Higgins Berglund Hansen
Shaw Lapierre Kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Leddy
Ballard Tanev

Old
10-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Absolutely agree. A team without cup aspirations could afford to slot this guy into a 3rd line role. The Canucks absolutely cannot.
I mean the kid was trying hard out there, but the strength I thought he had last preseason hasn't been showing so far in the AHL in the games I've watched. He's getting shoved around far too easily. I almost would welcome Arnott with open arms if we had to start the season soon.

Quote:

Edler for Voracek

or

Use Picks/Prospects to balance the deals out.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Voracek Kesler Simmonds
Higgins Bolland Hansen
x Lappy x

Ham Juice
Garrison Leddy
x Tanev

Schneiderman
x

I think we overpay with Edler+Kassian for Simmonds+Voracek, and even Voracek for Edler straight up.

Luongo+Raymond for Bolland+Leddy has been talked over, but that is a sort of "if all else fails" sort of value.

Ballard and Booth could concievably earn their cheques this year, but Malhotra and Raymond, who are in fairness recovering from injuries last year, would be harder to coax into playing better.

With Edler potentially gone, I would like to see a Ballard-Garrison pairing, as their repsective strengths and weaknesses seem to compliment each other on paper.

Booth isn't a huge player in my books, but a line of Booth-Kesler-Voracek would be deadly.

Simmonds-Higgins-Hansen would be a dangerous third line as it is, but the possible addition of Bolland to take center would be a spectacular improvement....which if we keep Booth would mean grossly underusing one of our other wingers.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:53 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post

Simmonds-Higgins-Hansen would be a dangerous third line as it is, but the possible addition of Bolland to take center would be a spectacular improvement....which if we keep Booth would mean grossly underusing one of our other wingers.
I think it'd actually be nice to have a fourth line that can score.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:06 PM
ahmon

Quote:
The Luongo deal is an easy yes.

Edler for Voracek would probably be a mistake, though Voracek is exactly what the 2nd line needs. Edler and Kassian for Voracek and Simmonds is an easy yes for me...

To STL- Edler, Raymond
To Van- Berglund, Stewart

To Chi- Luongo, Connauton
To Van- Leddy, Shaw

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Stewart
Higgins Berglund Hansen
Shaw Lapierre Kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Leddy
Ballard Tanev
Well Edler is upcoming ufa, so his value is discounted.

I much rather have a 2nd line of voracek-kesler-simmonds, then booth-kesler-stewart.

The line I proposed has a playmaking element from voracek. Stewart might have a higher ceiling than simmonds, but his problem is lack of motivation and he floats.

And bolland on our 3rd line would be a luxury. I can really see Bolland-Hansen working well as a shutdown line.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

I much rather have a 2nd line of voracek-kesler-simmonds, then booth-kesler-stewart.

The line I proposed has a playmaking element from voracek. Stewart might have a higher ceiling than simmonds, but his problem is lack of motivation and he floats.
I prefer that 2nd line as well. Though not sure if I prefer Voracek to Berglund, tough call there. Berglund is that rare, 6'4 centre with skill that is so difficult to acquire and could help in the transition from the Sedins...

Chris Stewart is an intersting target. Lots of question makrs but this guy produced liike a 1st line talent at 21-22 years of age and also has a rare combination of size, toughness and skill.

I do like the idea of hanging onto Kassian as well. I recently turned my Hodgson jersey into a Kassian one and am not confident one of the new additions will take the #9, nor that my wife will be willing to take it in and have it altered again. Not to mention if Kassian reaches his full potential we could be crying ourselves to sleep for a decade for moving him.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
ahmon

Quote:
I prefer that 2nd line as well. Though not sure if I prefer Voracek to Berglund, tough call there. Berglund is that rare, 6'4 centre with skill that is so difficult to acquire and could help in the transition from the Sedins...

Chris Stewart is an intersting target. Lots of question makrs but this guy produced liike a 1st line talent at 21-22 years of age and also has a rare combination of size, toughness and skill.

I do like the idea of hanging onto Kassian as well. I recently turned my Hodgson jersey into a Kassian one and am not confident one of the new additions will take the #9, nor that my wife will be willing to take it in and have it altered again. Not to mention if Kassian reaches his full potential we could be crying ourselves to sleep for a decade for moving him.
Agree with everything here, except I only gamble on Stewart if the cost is at a minimum

Old
10-21-2012, 05:44 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Under the proposed new rules dumping guys is basically impossible. We'd have to pay a lot of picks to clear we were forced and nobody was interested.

Quote:
I miss Mitchell. Torres sounded like it was time to move on. I'd like Hoff but questions about being able to afford him.

Missing out on Justin Schultz, our D would be so much better rounded and balanced (LS/RS, Offensive/defensive) with him. He'd be cheap too.

I guess if we didn't sign Garrison or trade for Ballard we could have had Mitchell-Ehrhoff. My (realistic, cost effective) time machine D

Hamhuis - Bieksa/Ehrhoff (take your pick)
Edler - Schultz
Mitchell - Tanev

EDIT: Screw reality version

Hamhuis -Ehrhoff
Garrison - Schultz
Mitchell - Bieksa
Tanev

Edler traded for Coutuier

Last edited by me2: 10-21-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 06:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
I agree with Ahmon except Torres. His style of play invites retaliation and I'd rather not see Henrik or Daniel get their clock cleaned because of what some other scrub on the team did.
Totally agree with you! Bringing in guys who will punish other teams defense on the forecheck and play hard nosed hockey is not what we need. More soft players who play the perimeter and guys who will either just yap at the opposition when they take runs at our players, or just stand there and let themselves get punched in the face is what we need. Maybe if we ask the opposition nicely they'll let us win the Cup one year...if its not too much of a bother.

10-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Totally agree with you! Bringing in guys who will punish other teams defense on the forecheck and play hard nosed hockey is not what we need. More soft players who play the perimeter and guys who will either just yap at the opposition when they take runs at our players, or just stand there and let themselves get punched in the face is what we need. Maybe if we ask the opposition nicely they'll let us win the Cup one year...if its not too much of a bother.
I agree. Which is why your Luongo for Sam Gagner and MPS deal is so intriguing. Just hand us the cup with those pushovers.

Old
10-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
EDIT: Screw reality version

Hamhuis -Ehrhoff
Garrison - Schultz
Mitchell - Bieksa
Tanev

Edler traded for Coutuier
Forgot offersheeting Weber.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Reading the Trade Board made me think of something: if we offered up our entire team, how would the rest of the teams value them (on HF, of course)?

Using Toronto fans as an example, they'd probably offer us Gardiner for both Sedins.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:27 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Reading the Trade Board made me think of something: if we offered up our entire team, how would the rest of the teams value them (on HF, of course)?

Using Toronto fans as an example, they'd probably offer us Gardiner for both Sedins.
I highly doubt it. They're pretty high on Gardiner...we'd probably have to add Kesler, but in return they MIGHT add someone like Bozak or Lombardi and a 2.

Closed Thread