HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
they'd probably offer us Gardiner for both Sedins.
Y2K would take that deal.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:32 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Y2K would take that deal.
Nope. But I would certainly look to move on from them in two years if they don't improve their playoff consistency.

10-24-2012, 02:34 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 545
Just curious, if Kesler's injury holds him out for longer (January or more) and Schroeder isn't NHL ready after a tryout, what do you guys think about Saku Koivu?

Pending UFA at 3.8M, he obviously isn't the player he once was, but he'd fill in at #2 C and could add some offense to a defensively responsible 3rd line (Higgins-Koivu-Hansen ?) come Kesler's return.

He's more expensive then an Arnott fill in but he still has some offense and can get around the ice quicker, something we'd need if he is to fill in regular minutes with guys like Raymond/Hansen/Higgins.

Old
10-24-2012, 03:06 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Just curious, if Kesler's injury holds him out for longer (January or more) and Schroeder isn't NHL ready after a tryout, what do you guys think about Saku Koivu?

Pending UFA at 3.8M, he obviously isn't the player he once was, but he'd fill in at #2 C and could add some offense to a defensively responsible 3rd line (Higgins-Koivu-Hansen ?) come Kesler's return.

He's more expensive then an Arnott fill in but he still has some offense and can get around the ice quicker, something we'd need if he is to fill in regular minutes with guys like Raymond/Hansen/Higgins.
Depends what it would cost to get him. He's a shell of his former self...if he came cheap (like a 3rd round pick and Bill Sweatt) I would be interested. Otherwise I'd rather look elsewhere.

Old
10-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Scurr

We need a 3rd line centre, that's for sure.

Old
10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
TLinden16
Horse

Dear MG

Marcel Goc + Nick Bjugstad

Please.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I highly doubt it. They're pretty high on Gardiner...we'd probably have to add Kesler, but in return they MIGHT add someone like Bozak or Lombardi and a 2.
But Kesler is a diver, so that lowers his trade value. Nothing more than a cap dump.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Dear MG

Marcel Goc + Nick Bjugstad

Please.
Has anyone seen Bjugstad this year? He's only played 4 games so far, but 3 goals in 4 games (plus 1 assist) sounds pretty solid. Seth Ambroz also has 2 goals and 2 assists in 4 games for the University of Minnesota.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:35 PM
TLinden16
Horse

Quote:
Has anyone seen Bjugstad this year? He's only played 4 games so far, but 3 goals in 4 games (plus 1 assist) sounds pretty solid. Seth Ambroz also has 2 goals and 2 assists in 4 games for the University of Minnesota.
I haven't seen him play this year but I am a firm believer the kid is going to be something special.

If a deal could be centered around him, I could really care less what the other return is.

Cap space + a legitimate #1 prospect+________ whatever else is included. Better then Toronto's spare parts and prospects with a slim chance of being a big producer in the NHL.

Bjugstad, Gaunce Lack, Connauton, Tanev, etc makes this team's prospect depth quite nice.

If the ______ was Goc, or a solid NHL forward I'd be pleased.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 938
While I'd be thrilled with Bjugstad, Petrovic makes much more sense on so many levels.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Petrovic makes much more sense on so many levels.
I don't know much about him other than what I see on his hockeydb card, can you fill me in?

Old
10-24-2012, 06:04 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
While I'd be thrilled with Bjugstad, Petrovic makes much more sense on so many levels.
Not really. We have a lot of solid defensive prospects as well Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Garrison locked up long-term (Edler likely to soon join them). There won't be enough spots for everyone.

Bjugstad is a potential 1C, which we probably don't have in the system (Schroeder probably more of a potential 2C, and Gaunce a 2/3C tweener).

Old
10-24-2012, 08:56 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
But Kesler is a diver, so that lowers his trade value. Nothing more than a cap dump.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I don't know much about him other than what I see on his hockeydb card, can you fill me in?
6'4, RHD, hits like a truck, mean streak, projects to be a shut down defenseman, and steps up his offensive game in the playoffs. Given Florida's depth on defense and lack of centre depth and that we have Gaunce in our system but no defensive prospects who are safe bets to make the NHL(and no real tough defensive prospects at all), he makes a lot of sense.

But Bjugstad definitely holds more value.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:14 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
6'4, RHD, hits like a truck, mean streak, projects to be a shut down defenseman, and steps up his offensive game in the playoffs. Given Florida's depth on defense and lack of centre depth and that we have Gaunce in our system but no defensive prospects who are safe bets to make the NHL(and no real tough defensive prospects at all), he makes a lot of sense.

But Bjugstad definitely holds more value.
I don't see how Petrovic is a safer bet to make the NHL than someone like Kevin Connauton. Hell, I like Patrick McNally's potential a lot too, as well as Frankie Corrado (nominated for top defenseman in the OHL last season).

Old
10-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
I don't see how Petrovic is a safer bet to make the NHL than someone like Kevin Connauton. Hell, I like Patrick McNally's potential a lot too, as well as Frankie Corrado (nominated for top defenseman in the OHL last season).
Petrovic is two years younger and has a much more well-rounded game than Connauton. Until Connauton improves his defensive side of the game he won't be brought up. McNally and Corrado are looking pretty good, but they certainly aren't safer bets to make the NHL having never even played a pro game before. One of the things about having a shallow prospect pool is that we tend to overrate the ones we do have and assume that our top defensive propsect can't be that far off from the best defensive prospect of the team with the best prospect pool in the league, when unfortunately that is not the case.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Until Connauton improves his defensive side of the game he won't be brought up.
I was pleasantly surprised by his play in the game I went to. He's bigger and stronger than I thought and was obviously making an effort to play strong down low in his own end. I didn't see any offensive flair but the Heat were trapping it up something fierce.

If the Wolves were to lose Tanev and Cannauton to the Canucks, they would be in trouble.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Petrovic is two years younger and has a much more well-rounded game than Connauton. Until Connauton improves his defensive side of the game he won't be brought up. McNally and Corrado are looking pretty good, but they certainly aren't safer bets to make the NHL having never even played a pro game before. One of the things about having a shallow prospect pool is that we tend to overrate the ones we do have and assume that our top defensive propsect can't be that far off from the best defensive prospect of the team with the best prospect pool in the league, when unfortunately that is not the case.
Connauton has shown good chemistry with Chris Tanev, and very well could be our bottom pairing whenever we move on from Ballard. Connauton I think has worked on his defensive game and while he'll never be a shutdown defenseman, he wont be much worse than someone like Christian Ehrhoff was.

Petrovic has played in 9 pro regular season games where he has 1 assist and is a -4. I don't think he has really set himself apart from anyone that we currently have. He's a nice piece to get, but he better not be the main piece coming back if we are sending a big name to Florida.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:17 PM
TLinden16
Horse

I too would prefer Bjug to Petrovic.

The top 4 is locked in for this teams next couple of years.

Connauton and Tanev will likely push for 2nd pairing spots over those years. McNally and Corrado will give a better idea of where their ceiling is in the pro game.

Use the 2013 pick on Dman, or trade for a defensive prospect.

What you said about overrating a shallow prospect pool is absolutely true, but it also applies to the forward prospects. Schroeder could easily never suit up for a full NHL season, Gaunce could flame out, be a 3rd line C at best. Someone with potential top-end talent needs to be in the organization for when the Sedins depart..

If it turned out to be one or two of Kassian/Jensen/Bjugstad.. perfect. They could possibly make the team with Edler/Garrison still in their prime, and Bieksa/Hammer still performing at a reasonable level (32/33?) I would assume.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Connauton has shown good chemistry with Chris Tanev, and very well could be our bottom pairing whenever we move on from Ballard. Connauton I think has worked on his defensive game and while he'll never be a shutdown defenseman, he wont be much worse than someone like Christian Ehrhoff was.

Petrovic has played in 9 pro regular season games where he has 1 assist and is a -4. I don't think he has really set himself apart from anyone that we currently have. He's a nice piece to get, but he better not be the main piece coming back if we are sending a big name to Florida.
You left out the 6 points in 9 games Petrovic put up in the playoffs just a few games into his pro career.

And personally I think the first 4 games of the season is a bit too early to write off a prospect just by looking at his stat line.

I agree he's not a centrepiece player, but if our choice was having either Petrovic + 1st or Bjugstad + 2nd, it wouldn't be such a hard choice for me. Petrovic just makes more sense positionally for both teams, irrelevant of value.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:05 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
You left out the 6 points in 9 games Petrovic put up in the playoffs just a few games into his pro career.

And personally I think the first 4 games of the season is a bit too early to write off a prospect just by looking at his stat line.

I agree he's not a centrepiece player, but if our choice was having either Petrovic + 1st or Bjugstad + 2nd, it wouldn't be such a hard choice for me. Petrovic just makes more sense positionally for both teams, irrelevant of value.
Actually the Canucks need a prospect like Bjugstad a lot more than a prospect like Petrovic. Again, you're ignoring that we have most of our top 4 (soon to be all of it) locked up long-term. That means there's only 2 spots open, and they're bottom pairing spots. Chris Tanev takes up one of those spots, and Kevin Connauton likely will take up the other. Where's the room or need? Meanwhile our forward prospects seriously lack high end ability, something that Bjugstad has.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Actually the Canucks need a prospect like Bjugstad a lot more than a prospect like Petrovic. Again, you're ignoring that we have most of our top 4 (soon to be all of it) locked up long-term. That means there's only 2 spots open, and they're bottom pairing spots. Chris Tanev takes up one of those spots, and Kevin Connauton likely will take up the other. Where's the room or need? Meanwhile our forward prospects seriously lack high end ability, something that Bjugstad has.

In around 3 ish years:

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Gaunce-Burrows
Mallet-Lapierre-Hansen

Who would you replace with Bjugstad?

Old
10-24-2012, 11:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
In around 3 ish years:

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Gaunce-Burrows
Mallet-Lapierre-Hansen

Who would you replace with Bjugstad?
What makes Gaunce more NHL ready than Bjugstad?

Also the Sedins contracts are up in 2 years, how do you know they'll still be here?

Also, Kesler could make the shift to RW. There's plenty of possibilities.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
What makes Gaunce more NHL ready than Bjugstad?

Also the Sedins contracts are up in 2 years, how do you know they'll still be here?

Also, Kesler could make the shift to RW. There's plenty of possibilities.
Edler's contract is up in one year, and he's more likely to leave than the Sedins. And both Gaunce and Bjugstad have played the same number of pro games. If we have a similar player to Bjugstad in Gaunce, but no one similar to Petrovic, it makes sense to target him.

Again, I'm not saying I'd take Bjugstad over Petrovic straight up, simply that Petrovic fits better for Florida due to their lack of centre depth and surplus of D, while we have two of the top centres in the league on our team, and a lack of size and toughness on defense.

As I said, if the difference between getting Petrovic vs Bjugstad would mean getting a 1st rounder, it would be an easy choice for me.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:34 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Edler's contract is up in one year, and he's more likely to leave than the Sedins. And both Gaunce and Bjugstad have played the same number of pro games. If we have a similar player to Bjugstad in Gaunce, but no one similar to Petrovic, it makes sense to target him.

Again, I'm not saying I'd take Bjugstad over Petrovic straight up, simply that Petrovic fits better for Florida due to their lack of centre depth and surplus of D, while we have two of the top centres in the league on our team, and a lack of size and toughness on defense.

As I said, if the difference between getting Petrovic vs Bjugstad would mean getting a 1st rounder, it would be an easy choice for me.
I would value it closer to: Bjugstad, 3rd vs Petrovic, 1st.

I would still take Bjugstad and a 3rd.. But if the value were any lower, I would take Petrovic and the 1st.

That's my take. I agree with your idea, disagree with your valuation.

Edit: I also disagree with your talent evaluation. I believe Bjugstad(Very good prospect) is a tier under Kassian(Bluechip prospect) and a tier above Gaunce.

Closed Thread