HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 11:54 PM
casualkev

vCash: 500
haha sorry i'll refrain from using it in the future. would rather have JVR but he's pretty much untouchable at this point i think

Old
12-19-2012, 12:11 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonriotingcanucksfan View Post
This proposal it's based on the fact that can't resign Edler and the Leafs can't resign Lupul.

Luongo and Edler for Lupul, Gardiner, Bozak and a first.

My first attempt at a proposal so flame away.

Luon
Probably wouldn't do this deal, but would consider it. We give up some pretty huge value in a really good number one goalie and a really good top four defensemen with potential to get better yet. I'd do this deal if we secretly knew Edler's back was going to hamper his overall game, and his potential moving forward.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonriotingcanucksfan View Post
haha sorry i'll refrain from using it in the future. would rather have JVR but he's pretty much untouchable at this point i think
Too late for that.

Yeah, JVR is more attractive an asset for our team but he's pretty much not going anywhere until he suits up for the Leafs barring Burke getting his socks knocked off.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:26 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
It's actually not bad, I just have a big pet peeve when people say first proposal, flame away.
I had to set fire to my computer it was so bad.

12-23-2012, 03:26 PM
palindrom

Edlerís back, but may never be 100 per cent

Quote:
But the 26-year-oldís improved health short-term does not erase concerns about his long-term viability as a No. 1 defenceman relied upon to play 24 minutes a game, 100 nights a year.

Edlerís durability will be an issue Ė season or not Ė when he becomes an unrestricted free agent in July.

Edler required back surgery two years ago and missed the final 2 Ĺ months of the regular season. His back problems resurfaced at the end of this summer when Edler ramped up the intensity of his training.
http://www.vancouversun.com/mobile/s...940/story.html

How much does this news worry you?

Do we still want to sign him before he become an UFA ? (if we can, assuming the lockout resolve before he became UFA).

How much $ should we give him ? how many years?

Old
12-23-2012, 03:30 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Letting him go would be worse than letting Mitchell go.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Oh, if only we could have dealt him to Colorado for the 17th overall pick in 2010 (Hishon)! It'd never happen though, that would have been highway robbery (for us, apparently)!

I'll give you this, Palindrom: you have remarkable endurance.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:37 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Oh, if only we could have dealt him to Colorado for the 17th overall pick in 2010 (Hishon)! It'd never happen though, that would have been highway robbery (for us, apparently)!

I'll give you this, Palindrom: you have remarkable endurance.
Actually you make me remember a thread when i was suggesting the 11th overall 2011 (Ducan Siemens) for him.

But Vancouver fan wanted the 2nd overall - Gabriel Landeskog - or Matt Duchene

Old
12-23-2012, 03:37 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Edler should be moved, perhaps with Luongo? It sucks, but Edler is just another Canuck whose time is done, like Ohlund, Mitchell and Salo.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Havre

More worried about losing him as an UFA than to injury. Not exactly unique for NHL players to struggle with an injury or two.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:59 PM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Edler should be moved, perhaps with Luongo? It sucks, but Edler is just another Canuck whose time is done, like Ohlund, Mitchell and Salo.
What? Difference between Edler and those players is that Edler is entering his prime, those players were all declining. Edler isn't going anywhere.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:10 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

An article from a week ago posted here from a canuck hater trying to entice people to respond. Nice try.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:13 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Old
12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
An article from a week ago posted here from a canuck hater trying to entice people to respond. Nice try.
I dont have any hate for the Canuck.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Still, before the Collective Bargaining Agreementís expiration on Sept. 15 triggered the start of the lockout, the Canucks made a long-term contract offer that would have boosted Edlerís average salary to the level of the teamís highest-paid defencemen. Garrison and Canuck Kevin Bieksa have cap hits of $4.6-million.

Edler and Point Roberts-based agent Mark Stowe took a mighty risk turning it down, since the next CBA will likely contain contract restrictions that did not previously exist, as well as a significantly lower salary cap.
He turned down ~$4.6M long term? He isn't going to like the post CBA offer he's going to get. I starting to doubt that he'll be a Canuck for the '13-'14 season.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
How much does this news worry you?

Do we still want to sign him before he become an UFA ? (if we can, assuming the lockout resolve before he became UFA).

How much $ should we give him ? how many years?
Since when are you a Canucks' fan? The only time I see you talking about the Canucks is when you try to downgrade Cory Schneider's worth.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Edler is our Top-2 guy with Hamhuis, unless we're getting some talent that will help us win the cup next year, I'm not interested in trading Edler. C'mon guys, he was being considered a Norris candidate half way through the year, and even if he had a bad post-season, nobody on the Canucks had a good post-season.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
12-23-2012, 05:09 PM
StringerBell

Well he put up a career year last year with that back. It's not like he underperformed or anything.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Well he put up a career year last year with that back. It's not like he underperformed or anything.
Depends what you're looking for. He puts up points and helps our offence but that has come with a lot of turnovers and he leaves a lot to be desired defensively. His progression has stalled the last year or two imo. A bad back doesn't help but most of Edlers mistakes are mental imo.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:07 PM
L4cer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
He put up points because we had to get someone to fill the hole Christian left when he signed with Buffalo. But, this made him neglect his defensive responsibilities.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

This poster has instigated on more than one Canucks related issue in the recent past. There is an anti-Canuck agenda. NFITO has already taken him to task many times on inaccurate information/predictions, and still he/she persists. People should know this before responding.

As to the thread content: Old and already discussed. But to re-iterate, the decision on Edler has to come this year. He's not a lock to return by any means... I just hope that he understands what happened to Ehrhoff and acts accordingly. In many respects, the Ehrhoff situation will serve as the reminder to the players seeking more. Hopefully, it's enough.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Barney Gumble

I'm moving this to the Armchair GM thread....

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 12-23-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old
12-23-2012, 07:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Edler is our Top-2 guy with Hamhuis, unless we're getting some talent that will help us win the cup next year, I'm not interested in trading Edler. C'mon guys, he was being considered a Norris candidate half way through the year, and even if he had a bad post-season, nobody on the Canucks had a good post-season.
I actually don't know if Edler is that much better than Bieksa at all, and it'll be interesting to see what Garrison can do.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
He turned down ~$4.6M long term? He isn't going to like the post CBA offer he's going to get. I starting to doubt that he'll be a Canuck for the '13-'14 season.
He'd get 6+ long term from a dozen teams if he's a UFA July 1st, under any CBA.

Old
12-23-2012, 08:49 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
What? Difference between Edler and those players is that Edler is entering his prime, those players were all declining. Edler isn't going anywhere.
I totally hope you are right. I'd love to see Edler return to form and realize his full potential. I find it telling that he didn't sign here last summer, under the old CBA. There are a lot of reasons he may have hesitated but I can only think of one reason why the Canucks would. Edler must be in serious debility territory with his shoulder(?). I thought at that time that Edler was balking because of money or whatever. The recent article about Edler's injury and return make me wonder if the Canucks even made an offer. Gillis is good at signings. Yet, no contract for Edler.

If there is doubt, or if the players wants it, he should be moved. The window of opportunity for the Canucks is closing rapidly. Luongo, once thought the cornerstone of the team, has aged out. The Sedins take huge punishment, they can't be unscathed. Burrows and Kesler are also beaten on relentlessly. It is possible that Gillis' idealistic approach to on ice policing will shorten his core group's work lives significantly. Broken or worn out pieces must be moved out to make the team function.

If Edler can be converted into a useful player, I think you have to examine that. This is probably the last year for this core group, assuming there is a season. If there is no season, then I expect the rebuild to begin in earnest upon resumption.

Closed Thread