HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Gillis is good at signings. Yet, no contract for Edler.
Look at how long it took to sign the Sedins (that's just one example). I wouldn't worry at this point.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Since when are you a Canucks' fan? The only time I see you talking about the Canucks is when you try to downgrade Cory Schneider's worth.
since the Vancouver final against the Ranger

Old
12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Look at how long it took to sign the Sedins (that's just one example). I wouldn't worry at this point.
Yup, contracts are easily GMMG's strongest point. I'll trust him with signings any day.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:38 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
since the Vancouver final against the Ranger
I know messier was good, but we were beat by the whole team

just giving you a hard time

Old
12-23-2012, 10:01 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
What? Difference between Edler and those players is that Edler is entering his prime, those players were all declining. Edler isn't going anywhere.
At 27yo next April, The odds are he already reached his peak and should slightly decline from now on.

usually a player enter his prime at 23yo, the prime years are from 23-28yo

Of course these are just average, there are ton of exceptions to this, and i am all aware of this fact.

Lets hope Edler will be an exception and have a long career.

Last edited by palindrom: 12-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old
12-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
At 27yo next April, The odds are he already reached his peak and should slightly decline from now on.

usually a player enter his prime at 23yo, the prime years are from 23-28yo

Of course these are just average, there are ton of exceptions to this, and i am all aware of this fact.

Lets hope Edler will be an exception and have a long career.
Forwards tend to reach their prime at that age.
D-men (and goalies) often reach their prime at an older age (25-32).

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
12-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
No kidding. It's goalies, followed by defensemen, then centers.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Ummm LS don't you know the Lakers are off to a terrible start? That's where all the focus is in LA.... Well either them or the Clippers!

Great not only do I have to see some of those posters on the main board but now they're coming here

Old
12-24-2012, 01:33 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
He'd get 6+ long term from a dozen teams if he's a UFA July 1st, under any CBA.
what about a cba with a 6.1m salary cap

Old
12-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Everyone is different though, different players reach their peak at different times in their career. We may have already seen Jeff Skinner's best hockey at 20 years old and he may never have better seasons, and nobody even knew who Sean Bergenheim was until the 2011 playoffs and he was 31 at the time.

Defensemen like Erik Karlsson had a 76 point season, that very well could be the best year he ever has, we just don't know.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
12-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
what about a cba with a 6.1m salary cap
Then he'd get 6 million in the KHL

Old
12-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Everyone is different though, different players reach their peak at different times in their career. We may have already seen Jeff Skinner's best hockey at 20 years old and he may never have better seasons, and nobody even knew who Sean Bergenheim was until the 2011 playoffs and he was 31 at the time.

Defensemen like Erik Karlsson had a 76 point season, that very well could be the best year he ever has, we just don't know.
All true but the salient point being it is a laughable statement to claim that Edler is on the "downside of his career" based on crapola.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:09 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
All true but the salient point being it is a laughable statement to claim that Edler is on the "downside of his career" based on crapola.
Or it could be based on his back injury? I don't think Edler is really on the downside of his career, but if he is wanting $6M on a long-term deal he can go. Expecting a lower salary cap, I would offer him no more than $25/5.

12-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Or it could be based on his back injury?
His development has slowed in recent years because he's been forced to "learn on his own" given the revolving door policy on his defensive partners more than any injuries. Look no further than Bieksa how well a player can develop when given a stable defensive partner for a period of time. If he fails to improve on his uneven play this past season with a guy like Garrison as a partner - then I'll buy that argument. Anything else right now is pure fantasy/speculation.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:14 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
His development has slowed in recent years because he's been forced to "learn on his own" given the revolving door policy on his defensive partners more than any injuries. Look no further than Bieksa how well a player can develop when given a stable defensive partner for a period of time. If he fails to improve on his uneven play this past season with a guy like Garrison as a partner - then I'll buy that argument. Anything else right now is pure fantasy/speculation.
Or just look at Bieksa how well a player can play when he's not dealing with major lacerations on his calf....that's a development killer too.

I'm not so sure Garrison will be his partner. It appears that Garrison was brought in to play the left side so we still could be screwed there. I think the Canucks need to bring in another RH defenseman, but how they do it I have no idea.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Proto

Quote:
This seems a bit charitable. Edler's progress has slowed because he's failed to take the next step defensively, but his offensive game has improved. Not every guy becomes Shea Weber. Edler just might not have that extra step defensively from making a quicker read, or the edge he needs to be a bit meaner.

He's still an elite defenseman, and maybe he will find that next gear. But if he doesn't, he's certainly still a very useful player.

The Canucks haven't had many (any?) franchise defensemen over their history, so fans seem to get a bit over-excited about promising young D, in my opinion. I'd be happy with Edler making significantly more than any other D under contract.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Proto

Quote:
Or just look at Bieksa how well a player can play when he's not dealing with major lacerations on his calf....that's a development killer too.

I'm not so sure Garrison will be his partner. It appears that Garrison was brought in to play the left side so we still could be screwed there. I think the Canucks need to bring in another RH defenseman, but how they do it I have no idea.
Why do you assume this? I'm sure the plan is either to try Garrison on the right side -- where he has some experience -- or move Edler to the right side again. Unless Gillis plans to pick up a RD in the Luongo trade, I don't see another option here.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
This seems a bit charitable. Edler's progress has slowed because he's failed to take the next step defensively, but his offensive game has improved. Not every guy becomes Shea Weber. Edler just might not have that extra step defensively from making a quicker read, or the edge he needs to be a bit meaner.
When his most reliable defensive partner was Ehrhoff - I cut him a bit of slack in this area (Salo I'm afraid isn't able to handle top four duties on a full-time basis for various reasons).

Nobody is saying he'll ever likely be in the running for the Norris trophy; but then again, it's really only these types that can develop in a vacuum.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 12-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 04:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Why do you assume this? I'm sure the plan is either to try Garrison on the right side -- where he has some experience -- or move Edler to the right side again. Unless Gillis plans to pick up a RD in the Luongo trade, I don't see another option here.
It's not so much a baseless assumption as it is an assumption based on the comments made by Lawrence Gillman a month or two ago. Initially I believed that Garrison would play the right side with Edler, but based on Gillman's comments (which I don't have readily available, perhaps someone else does? There was a thread on this anyway) I wouldn't expect it.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
It's not so much a baseless assumption as it is an assumption based on the comments made by Lawrence Gillman a month or two ago. Initially I believed that Garrison would play the right side with Edler, but based on Gillman's comments (which I don't have readily available, perhaps someone else does? There was a thread on this anyway) I wouldn't expect it.
Yeah, I can back you up on that. I thought it would be in the "#1 d-man needed" thread but I couldn't find it. I think it was on a 1040 interview. But I specifically remember Gilman mentioning Garrison would be tried on the left side, at least first.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:41 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Yeah, I can back you up on that. I thought it would be in the "#1 d-man needed" thread but I couldn't find it. I think it was on a 1040 interview. But I specifically remember Gilman mentioning Garrison would be tried on the left side, at least first.
I don't remember the Gilman interview, but Bowness had an interview on 1040 and said that they'll first try Garrison on the left with either Bieksa or Edler on the right (mentioned in the Canucksarmy article).

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/11/15/ri...ing-edler-over

Also, Garrison has recently mentioned that he's been paired with Edler during practice drills (could also be because they've both been rehabbing with the Canucks)

Quote:
“We’ve paired up as much as we can for drills and I think the chemistry is there for sure and from the limited amount of working together, it’s there 100 per cent,” said Garrison. “It’s not only on the ice. We’ve hung out a lot and that’s how you want to build things.”
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12...ed-by-canucks/

Old
12-24-2012, 05:46 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

I think Garrison was brought in to create 3 solid pairings. I think Ballard will be unloaded due to cap issues after the new CBA lowers the cap.

Garrison Bieksa
Hamhuis Tanev
Edler X
Alberts

Old
12-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
I don't remember the Gilman interview, but Bowness had an interview on 1040 and said that they'll first try Garrison on the left with either Bieksa or Edler on the right (mentioned in the Canucksarmy article).

Also, Garrison has recently mentioned that he's been paired with Edler during practice drills (could also be because they've both been rehabbing with the Canucks)
Ah, you know what it might have been Bowness. I must have mis-remembered that.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12...ed-by-canucks/
If I remember right, Edler was pretty bad on his off side.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
If I remember right, Edler was pretty bad on his off side.
Well you do remember right.

Closed Thread