HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 08:44 AM
  #901
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLlwain View Post
Since the Canucks showed interest in Jochen Hecht prior to the lockout, you guys think he's still worth considering?

In his brief stint with Adler Mannheim of the German DEL he put up some pretty decent numbers: 12 points (4 / 8) in 5 games played. Worth mentioning that he played on a line with Jason Pominville and Marcel Goc, but still.

Is he an option?


As a current FA, I can definitely see it. I have always liked Hecht. Him or Arnott I guess.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:29 AM
  #902
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Burger King bathroom
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,277
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Has any new information surfaced lately?

But even then, if Phoenix moves after this season (if there is a season), Doan's contract becomes much worse.
$5.3 mil for a declining 37 year old signed until 2016, and the salary cap is dropping. Ehhh...
Apparently teams can use one of their amnesty buyouts during the 2014 off-season.
So even though it's extremely unlikely, IF Phoenix moves, and IF Doan wants to play for a contender, we could acquire him IF he is still playing like a top 6 forward.
And IF he starts to dramatically decline, we could buy him out and not have to worry about a $5.3 mil cap hit for a bottom 6 forward.

__________________

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:13 PM
  #903
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Actually, I think he might be. At least he won't be in AV's doghouse.
People seem to ignore that Ballard was very solid for the most part last year. He was at least #5 defenseman caliber.

Shareefruck is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
  #904
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
People seem to ignore that Ballard was very solid for the most part last year. He was at least #5 defenseman caliber.
At the very least...Ballard is a victim of his earlier play and where he sits in AV's pecking order. He should have been in the top 4 if it were based on quality of play in the playoffs.

Canucker is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
  #905
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Ballard is a great defenceman, IMO.

Easily, EASILY!, a top 4 on any team.

roach9 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
  #906
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Ballard is a great defenceman, IMO.

Easily, EASILY!, a top 4 on any team.
Too bad he isn't a top six defensemen on Alain Vigneault's team when it counts.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:23 AM
  #907
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Ballard is a great defenceman, IMO.

Easily, EASILY!, a top 4 on any team.
Great?

Top 4 any any team? Where do you slot him in our lineup?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tanev is our best bottom pairing dman this season...

Drop the Sopel is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:39 AM
  #908
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,962
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Great?

Top 4 any any team? Where do you slot him in our lineup?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tanev is our best bottom pairing dman this season...
Easily, EASILY!

me2 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:03 AM
  #909
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
Ballard's defensive style of running around like a chicken with it's head cut off doesn't strike me as the trademark of a great defenseman. He also doesn't fit in the future make-up of our defense, unless Edler isn't re-signed. There's no doubt that Ballard is the 6th best defenseman on our roster currently, and at $4-million in a reduced cap world, that's just not a good investment.

This leads to the question, in what area is Ballard better than Corrado? Experience, hip-checking, and some speed. Yet worse shot, awareness, size and positioning. If we see Corrado at camp, it won't be for seasoning, it'll be to push Ballard.

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:04 AM
  #910
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Easily, EASILY!
Easy, now.

roach9 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:12 AM
  #911
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,709
vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Man, if Ballard's that good, it should be easy to trade him for someone who plays a bit more in line with their salary, amirite?

Free Torts is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 03:31 AM
  #912
VanCanucks14
Registered User
 
VanCanucks14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Man, if Ballard's that good, it should be easy to trade him for someone who plays a bit more in line with their salary, amirite?
AV pretty much ruined any trade value Ballard had.

VanCanucks14 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 09:29 AM
  #913
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Man, if Ballard's that good, it should be easy to trade him for someone who plays a bit more in line with their salary, amirite?
I'm starting to hope we buy Ballard out, just because I'd like to see how much someone offers him, and how well he plays when he actually is allowed to, you know, play.

edit: Not sure how I got into this in the Wolves thread, sorry for OT.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:32 AM
  #914
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,433
vCash: 5555
On the main board, an Islander fan offered:

Strome/Reinhart + Bailey + 1st for Edler

I don't think I could say no to that offer(I'd take Strome). Trade Luongo for a defenseman, and we have:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Strome
Higgins-Bailey/Schroeder-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Kulikov/Liles/Wisniewski/whoever(varying value offset by futures)
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider
Lack

With a likely top-10, possibly top-5 pick in the draft. Anyone from Mackinnon to Nichushkin/Ristolainen would likely be fair game.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:42 AM
  #915
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
On the main board, an Islander fan offered:

Strome/Reinhart + Bailey + 1st for Edler

I don't think I could say no to that offer(I'd take Strome). Trade Luongo for a defenseman, and we have:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Strome
Higgins-Bailey/Schroeder-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Kulikov/Liles/Wisniewski/whoever(varying value offset by futures)
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider
Lack

With a likely top-10, possibly top-5 pick in the draft. Anyone from Mackinnon to Nichushkin/Ristolainen would likely be fair game.
That's pretty nice. Can't even guess how negotiations are going on an extension for Edler, but if they're not looking good, I'd be ok with that deal.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:49 AM
  #916
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
That's pretty nice. Can't even guess how negotiations are going on an extension for Edler, but if they're not looking good, I'd be ok with that deal.
That would be done deal for me as well but in reality NYI management, though they do stupid stuff, would require a sign and trade to pull this off.

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
  #917
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,008
vCash: 500
Any word on when the trade deadline will be? I know they moved it up to Feb last season (or even before that) but even pushing it back to mid March would seem a little too soon.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:52 AM
  #918
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Any word on when the trade deadline will be? I know they moved it up to Feb last season (or even before that) but even pushing it back to mid March would seem a little too soon.

I heard April 5th somewhere, but not sure.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
  #919
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Burger King bathroom
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,277
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Any word on when the trade deadline will be? I know they moved it up to Feb last season (or even before that) but even pushing it back to mid March would seem a little too soon.
Someone tweeted that the NHL wanted it to be April 5th, but it hasn't been decided yet.

Nuckles is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
  #920
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I heard April 5th somewhere, but not sure.
This is the only remaining "issue" I have with the lockout...the god damn playoffs are going to go into late June. I hate that they even go into June at all.


No one wants to finish second in the final this year (I'll be even more painful), only 2 months of rest before the training camp for next year.

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
  #921
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,433
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
This is the only remaining "issue" I have with the lockout...the god damn playoffs are going to go into late June. I hate that they even go into June at all.


No one wants to finish second in the final this year (I'll be even more painful), only 2 months of rest before the training camp for next year.
The consensus prediction for the SCF is Rangers over Canucks. If that happens it will be painful on so many levels.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
  #922
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The consensus prediction for the SCF is Rangers over Canucks. If that happens it will be painful on so many levels.
Oh my god if that happened again I would have the worst meltdown of my life. So bad that I would be embarrassed by myself for years to come, my own family would probably abandon me.

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:06 PM
  #923
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,471
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
That would be done deal for me as well but in reality NYI management, though they do stupid stuff, would require a sign and trade to pull this off.
Agreed. I wouldn't be against it either though. Especially considering Garrison is naturally a LHD, we really don't need to add another LHD to our top 4. If we could acquire a PMD on the right side (a right handed Edler) for Luongo then we are well set.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:07 PM
  #924
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,471
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Someone tweeted that the NHL wanted it to be April 5th, but it hasn't been decided yet.
April 1 would be better.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
  #925
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,471
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The consensus prediction for the SCF is Rangers over Canucks. If that happens it will be painful on so many levels.
I can't see it. Not with Lundqvist in net

y2kcanucks is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.