HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 11:41 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

vCash: 500
Yeah lets relive the 2011 SCF some more, good idea. Why don't we talk about how the B's scored four goals in under 10 minutes in Game 6? Happy times.

Or we can (and SHOULD) let it go.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:19 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
Yeah lets relive the 2011 SCF some more, good idea. Why don't we talk about how the B's scored four goals in under 10 minutes in Game 6? Happy times.

I'm quite sure it was under 4 minutes.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Henrik To Daniel

if we are going to talk about 2011 we need to discuss how we`re going to replace ehrhoff which still hasn`t been done

Old
10-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
if we are going to talk about 2011 we need to discuss how we`re going to replace ehrhoff which still hasn`t been done
After that, we need to talk about the Coho and Kassian trade!

Old
10-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
After that, we need to talk about the Coho and Kassian trade!
personally i think the trade will go down as one of the worst in franchise history... but that`s just me

Old
10-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Some rhetoric managed to slip in there somehow...

Bitz was pretty bad. He played 3 minutes and managed to take a game misconduct in those 3 minutes.
Oh no, I was reacting to Bitz because he was a nothing player from sooo long ago mentioned along with all these players still on the team who played poorly against LA, not defending his playing level.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
I believe in all, it was 4 goals in 4 minutes in 14 seconds.

I mean, I think I'm past that loss but if people want to talk about it, I'll talk about it.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:34 AM
vadim sharifijanov

you know what still gets me hot and bothered? steve moore.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Oh no, I was reacting to Bitz because he was a nothing player from sooo long ago mentioned along with all these players still on the team who played poorly against LA, not defending his playing level.
Yeah, agreed there. But even for Bitz I thought he played pretty bad

Old
10-06-2012, 12:54 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I still think it was a missed opportunity not having Bitz and Burrows on the same line. Could have called it the Bitz and Bites line.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:36 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
personally i think the trade will go down as one of the worst in franchise history... but that`s just me

Sarcasm hopefully...?

Old
10-06-2012, 07:33 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post

I actually skipped that whole last page of the thread...that being said, I'd rather think about the 2011 playoffs than the 2012 playoffs.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:20 AM
WonderTwinsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
****, you're right. I started the count from the start of the 1st.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:53 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
No, they didn't. They got really unlucky and ended up with a .885ish save percentage when they were on the ice.
Saying that a low percentage is "bad luck" is kind of lazy. Sometimes it is bad luck and sometimes it isn't. I'd say the Sedins' 2011 playoffs was a combination of both. Some of the GA were due to shoddy goaltending or defensive play that didn't have much to do with them, but they also blew a lot of coverages and made some very weak plays leading to easy goals. Attributing the difference between the Sedins' sub .890 on ice sv% and Hansen's .972 or Kesler's .938 as purely "luck" is really selling both the Canucks and their opponents short, especially given the disparity in the type of minutes between them.

That doesn't mean they're poor defensive players or that their numbers in the 2011 playoffs are indicative of their abilities, but sometimes players struggle defensively and it's not simply bad luck.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Saying that a low percentage is "bad luck" is kind of lazy. Sometimes it is bad luck and sometimes it isn't. I'd say the Sedins' 2011 playoffs was a combination of both. Some of the GA were due to shoddy goaltending or defensive play that didn't have much to do with them, but they also blew a lot of coverages and made some very weak plays leading to easy goals. Attributing the difference between the Sedins' sub .890 on ice sv% and Hansen's .972 or Kesler's .938 as purely "luck" is really selling both the Canucks and their opponents short, especially given the disparity in the type of minutes between them.

That doesn't mean they're poor defensive players or that their numbers in the 2011 playoffs are indicative of their abilities, but sometimes players struggle defensively and it's not simply bad luck.
That's why I also compared it to their career average's and gave examples that lead to their +/- and save percentage. I also admitted they weren't great defensively. My issue was with Y2K saying they were terrible defensively and a liability, which isn't close to the truth, and wasn't true during that run. Next time I'll try not to be so lazy and get it all in the first post I make.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Sarcasm hopefully...?
Nope. right now the trade looks sort of fair, but 5 years down the road i see hodgson as a great 1B center and kassian as a fringe third liner

Old
10-06-2012, 01:20 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Nope. right now the trade looks sort of fair, but 5 years down the road i see hodgson as a great 1B center and kassian as a fringe third liner
You recognize that there's just as good a chance that in 5 years Cody Hodgson could be Andrew Ebbet and Kassian could be David Backes.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm just going to say it. Letting Ehrhoff go was mistake.

If we can add legit 1st line talent, our lineup would be completely free of holes. What's the point of cap space if you don't use it to fill your holes? We' also be losing Malhotra's salary in the trade.

So imagine:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Vanek(playing normal minutes for once)
Higgins-Schroeder-Kassian
Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev

Luongo
Schneider
Lack

The best team in the league, if I do say so myself.

And we'd also be shedding salary in a Luongo trade, and in a year or so Jensen and Corrado/Connauton/Tommernes can replace Booth and Ballard, shedding even more salary.
Hopefully, Garrison can make amends for the loss of Ehrhoff. Chasing Versteeg could be interesting but alas, I doubt Florida parts with him. I am still a bit concerned with Kesler's line, in particular if AV insists on maintaining the Raymond experiment.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
What leads you to that conclusion? Cody Hodgson hasn't really shown that much early on his career and his draft position/hype, has earned me more opportunities, than his actual game.

Even if he improves his poor skating, he still doesn't have the offensive skill set to be a top center. Kyle Wellwood, at this point in his career, had shown more than Cody Hodgson.

As far as Kassian goes, you can already call him a fringe third liner at this point. Because that's where he is with this organization. So what, with him, zero room for improvement?

Old
10-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
What leads you to that conclusion? Cody Hodgson hasn't really shown that much early on his career and his draft position/hype, has earned me more opportunities, than his actual game.

Even if he improves his poor skating, he still doesn't have the offensive skill set to be a top center. Kyle Wellwood, at this point in his career, had shown more than Cody Hodgson.

As far as Kassian goes, you can already call him a fringe third liner at this point. Because that's where he is with this organization. So what, with him, zero room for improvement?
Personally I simply hope Gillis knew what he was doing. Worst case scenario it becomes Karma for the Stojanov-Naslund trade.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Kyle Wellwood, at this point in his career, had shown more than Cody Hodgson.
7 years into his NHL career Kyle Wellwood has a career high 18 goals and 47 points, Cody Hodgson had 19 goals and 41 points in his first full season. I think you're selling Cody a little short.

Whether or not we "win" the trade is going to depend a lot on expectations. If you're expecting Kassian to outscore Hodgson, you're probably going to be disappointed. If you can see the value of getting a guy like Kassian in the top 6, that's probably enough of a win to justify the trade.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:

hodgson had over 40 points in his first full season, playing bottom 6 minutes for the majority of it. on the sabres he will receive every opportunity to shine offensively.

kassian is an ahl/nhl tweener at this point. i'd say when he was added to our fourth line last year, he actually brought that line down instead of improving it.

maybe i'm just selling the guy short but i don't think he'll amount to much

Old
10-06-2012, 02:30 PM
B-rock

Quote:
hodgson had over 40 points in his first full season, playing bottom 6 minutes for the majority of it. on the sabres he will receive every opportunity to shine offensively.

kassian is an ahl/nhl tweener at this point. i'd say when he was added to our fourth line last year, he actually brought that line down instead of improving it.

maybe i'm just selling the guy short but i don't think he'll amount to much
Right, ppg as a rookie in the AHL, blowing away Hodgson's AHL stats, but he won't amount to much...sure boss.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Right, ppg as a rookie in the AHL, blowing away Hodgson's AHL stats, but he won't amount to much...sure boss.
alexandre giroux is an AHL superstar. How's he doing?

Old
10-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Wisp

Quote:
alexandre giroux is an AHL superstar. How's he doing?
Why, he's in his 30s and isn't 20 at all.

Closed Thread