HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

François Allaire will not return as goalie coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
09-17-2012, 10:39 AM
TheTotalPackage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
@Michael_Traikos
I'd love to know what the heck this means.

Unless he takes responsibility for the goalies' performance, which doesn't read that way to me.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:40 AM
ITM

Great. Can we please reacquire Jonas Gustavsson and see what he can do when he's A) Not imposed upon by a dogmatic coach contrary to his successful SEL award winning style and B) Not imposed upon by an inconsistent, ill-tempered, frivolous head coach who couldn't recognize the basic, tried and true hockey dogma which states, "Ride the hot goalie" ?

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
He has an impressive resume but didn't he basically only teach a single way? Coaches need to be versatile and be able to coach to the players they have. Don't change a players style into what you like, work with what they have to improve their abilities. They may not have made it to the bigs in the conventional way or the way you think is right but it worked for them so. Got to be open minded, sports are always changing.

I wish he worked out but it didn't. Can't get much lower then what we were at though so I guess from more point of view changing it up a little couldn't hurt.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Guess Allaire does not believe in "play the kids".
A goalie development coach, is focused on development, not acceleration up the ranks.

Mentoring of a young goalie, extends beyond teaching the fundamentals of the position, and Allaire is not on the bench during a game being able to provide any support outside of practices.

Putting players in positions to succeed, builds confidence and is critical for future development, while putting them in positions to fail is detrimental to the process. The goalie position is not sheltered like other positions are at the NHL level for youth to develop, in non/low pressure support roles.

Allaire is not the one calling the shots where they play, only involved in coaching them how to play. But he is smart enough to recognize he will get the criticism for others personnel decisions.

09-17-2012, 10:51 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
A goalie development coach, is focused on development, not acceleration up the ranks.

Mentoring of a young goalie, extends beyond teaching the fundamentals of the position, and Allaire is not on the bench during a game being able to provide any support outside of practices.

Putting players in positions to succeed, builds confidence and is critical for future development, while putting them in positions to fail is detrimental to the process. The goalie position is not sheltered like other positions are at the NHL level for youth to develop, in non/low pressure support roles.

Allaire is not the one calling the shots where they play, only involved in coaching them how to play. But he is smart enough to recognize he will get the criticism for others personnel decisions.
So, I think I get it, "play the kids" does NOT apply to goalies, just everybody else.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:52 AM
pspot

the game has changed a lot and maybe its passed him by
could be true for some other front office people

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Best news in awhile lol.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:54 AM
ecotone

troubling information on why he couldnt do his job:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...dnt-do-my-job/

ecotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:05 AM
MakeTheIronSing

I heard they fired the stick boy the other day, maybe now they'll have sticks at an improved rate and can score more goals.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Stephen

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:09 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Good to hear. Was tired of watching our goalies shrug at all the shots instead of using that huge glove they happen to have on one of their hands . I'm sure he's great at that style, but in the end he didn't seem able to adapt to his goalies. It was all about forcing that one style onto everyone instead of working with their strengths.

Not sorry to see him go. Too bad we lose out on free goalies attracted to him, but oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotone View Post

That or a classic case of taking pot shots and deflecting blame on the way.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Pierre Gotye

I think this is the right thing. Allaire's ways of fixing goaltenders...Toskala, Reimer, Gustavsson, Giguere...was clearly not working.

Goalie's need to rely on their instincts more than playing to a 'style' which I think is not one that's successful much anymore.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:16 AM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:

Quote:
“My job was to develop the young kids,” he said. “It wasn’t to win the Cup. You’re not going to take a team that didn’t make the playoffs the year before to the Stanley Cup. I feel that I did pretty good, because now they have Reimer and Scrivens and other goalies in the system.

“Maybe the numbers are not there with the Leafs. But it’s difficult to have the numbers when you’re not playing defensively.”
Fair enough, but when your goalies are consistently being beaten the same way, maybe you should teach them to adapt instead of being goaltending robots.

PoisonMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Suntouchable13

So basically he said "**** it, I am out"? Why is our organization such a joke?

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:21 AM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

So he gets fired after gustavson leaves. This couldn't have been done before. I we got a new goalie coach for gus, he could have been a really good goalie. And reimer has gone on record many times stating that allaire is good for him. Wouldn't a new goalie coach be unneccesary because i think gus was the only one who couldn't adapt to him. Unless allaire decide to leave on his own, this makes no sense.

LeafsMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:23 AM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
So he gets fired after gustavson leaves. This couldn't have been done before. I we got a new goalie coach for gus, he could have been a really good goalie. And reimer has gone on record many times stating that allaire is good for him. Wouldn't a new goalie coach be unneccesary because i think gus was the only one who couldn't adapt to him. Unless allaire decide to leave on his own, this makes no sense.
They just said on HockeyCentral that Burke approached Allaire about a contract extension at the end of last season. So this appears to be Allaire saying "eff this organization, I'm gone".

PoisonMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
So, I think I get it, "play the kids" does NOT apply to goalies, just everybody else.
I am no NHL GM, but I wouldn't place two young goalies with less than 100 games NHL experience combined in harms way with the expectations of the team high, and success required to break the NHL's longest non playoff streak.

If I was draft rebuilding and ownership supported the process, and was willing to accept the consequences of those actions then expectations would be set accordingly, as would the pressure on the goalie position. However public apology letters from ownership to Leaf fans for the teams disappointing results suggest this is not the case in Toronto where failure is an option.

Like I suggested earlier all positions are not equal and if you're breaking in a young forward or dman in a bottom 6 position and secondary support role, than they're not expected to carry the team.. The goalie is the last line of defense and there is no one at his position to shelter him during development from the criticism and pressure attached as it all falls squarely on their shoulders.

Allaire knows Leafs goalies best, working with them daily and his pending resignation is a telling sign of pending results expected, that will fall on his shoulders through his pupils performance, much like his students without them having control of the situation either.

If he believed that Reimer/Scrivens were ready for this assignment and believed they would be successful, there would be no reason to resign fearing criticism, but rather receiving praise himself through their anticipated success. As the saying goes "Rats always leave a sinking ship",and when you see this it is a sign of pending undeniable doom ahead. Allaire appears to be abandoning Leafs ship, before it sinks and takes him with it..

Last edited by Mess: 09-17-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:26 AM
ecotone

sorry i forgot to post highlights from the link:

"To be honest, I don’t think the Leafs need a goalie coach,” Allaire, whose contract expired at the end of the season, said in a phone interview on Monday. “I think they have enough of them. They have two or three guys who were making decisions with the goalies. In the NHL, that’s not the way it works.

“If that’s the way they want to operate, then I’m not there.”

“I didn’t feel like I could do my job last year,” he said. “I wasn’t getting enough ice time. I wasn’t the only guy with [the goalies]. It’s not fair to the kids, not fair to me, not fair to anybody … I didn’t feel like I could work in this situation.”

ecotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:26 AM
CanadiensforLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
But what would people say if Reimer and Scrivens do better without him?
I'm sure Allaire has nothing to prove with the track record he's had so far..Whatever people say won't matter because he's an elite goalie coach.

CanadiensforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Rinzler

Not sure how I feel about this, we had the best in the biz, now we have nothing. The reasons for Allaire's departure are very concerning. The timing seems off as well. The Leafs will now have to scramble to find a replacement quickly.

I will be very interested to see who replaces Allaire, it could be good for us. Perhaps Reimer will be given a new perspective and transform him into a more well rounded player. We'll see...

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:29 AM
DaveT83*

“No one was complaining about Allaire when Gustavsson was carrying the team in December. But I guess he’s the next thing. They’ve gone after the coach, after me, now it’s the goalie coach. Who’s next? Dave Morrison, our chief scout?

-Brian Burke

Seriously I can't wait until this crybaby is out of here. He accepts no responsibility for anything. Its quite pathetic.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Well I'd say our chances of Luongo coming here now have dropped significantly.

But that won't keep me up at night.

As for Allaire can't say I'm surprised to see him go, But Personally I think a change was needed. What worked for Patrick Roy in the late 80's early 90's, Doesn't work for James Reimer in 2012. The 'drop to your knees" and 'shot blocking' style has become quite antiquated imo.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:33 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

"To be honest, I don’t think the Leafs need a goalie coach,” Allaire, whose contract expired at the end of the season, said in a phone interview on Monday. “I think they have enough of them. They have two or three guys who were making decisions with the goalies. In the NHL, that’s not the way it works.

“I didn’t feel like I could do my job last year,” he said. “I wasn’t getting enough ice time. I wasn’t the only guy with [the goalies]. It’s not fair to the kids, not fair to me, not fair to anybody … I didn’t feel like I could work in this situation.”

Strange he wouldn't give the same coaching staff he had in Anaheim a bit of a leash. I can understand if Wilson was still around and he left, but with Carlyle it at least seems they'll focus on being more defensively responsible.

Sounds to me like he just wanted out and a fresh start (while getting some shots in on the way) wherever he goes - which is his prerogative after his contract is up.

09-17-2012, 11:36 AM
colchar

Awesome news!

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Sounds like a case of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians is Allaire's complaint of Leafs Management.

Simply hiring more and more management personnel seems to be clogging up the works, preventing people from doing their jobs successfully in Allaire's opinion.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote