HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

François Allaire will not return as goalie coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
09-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Mike1

vCash: 500
The fans werent the only ones criticizing Allaire based on his comments. Sounds like some in the front office got in more than their share.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:27 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
An American goalie coach, who needs a job, must be available.
Bazinga.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:27 PM
htpwn

Allaire's comments are concerning, simply because MLSE has a history of this kind of thing. Meddling, dysfunction, etc.

Guess we'll see what Burke has to say. I presume he'll comment tomorrow sometime.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Kulemon

Goodbye chicken wing

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:11 PM
IME

vCash: 50

You rannnnng, Mr. Burke?

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:18 PM
CoolBlue*

Allaire - another failed move by Burke.

CoolBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:20 PM
bleedingblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post

You rannnnng, Mr. Burke?
Slowly Burke is starting to smarten and doing the right thing. Now the final piece to the puzzle is to fire himself and that would be perfect. Freaking how many years did it take to get rid of Wilson "the toxic" and now Allaire "goaly destroyer". The loser Allaire ruined enough goaltenders and thank god he is out the door and hopefully the door hits his back when he leaves.

bleedingblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post

You rannnnng, Mr. Burke?
Love Eddie still.

Get him back to play net as well.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:07 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Hiring Ed Belfour (my favourite player, ever) as a goaltending coach would quite possibly be the worst idea, ever. Same could be said of Joseph.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:10 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Sounds like a case of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians is Allaire's complaint of Leafs Management.

Simply hiring more and more management personnel seems to be clogging up the works, preventing people from doing their jobs successfully in Allaire's opinion.
He said coaches, not management. The Leafs don't have any more coaches than any other org.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:33 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Good news.

I respect Allaire's acheivments but he didn't make our goal tending any better. We've been pretty much bottom of the league in goal tending all the years he was here.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:56 PM
rdawg1234

lmao at people that think this is an amazing event like Allaire wasa some kind of poison.

Was it allaire giving us bad goaltending or maybe it was actually just the goaltenders and the system in front of them??

Toskala- Terrible
Giguere- injury prone, nowhere near his former self
Reimer- Mediocre glove hand and reflexes, decent technically
Scrivens- Havent seen enough to judge
Gustavsson- Mentally unstable, consistently got in his own head when he let in a goal, very streaky.

Have we even gotten a highly touted goalie and they just crapped out? NO, we've literally been playing with either younger prospects who havent fully developed yet, free agents from europe(gus) who werent guarenteed to be great or washed up elite goalies like Giguere who didnt have a good season for like 2 years prior to joining us.

A new goalie coach isnt gonna do much, Reimer is NEVER going to be an elite tender, same with scrivens, I 've seen them enough to know they are average looking goalies.

We need a new goaltender, not a new coach, this wont fix anything.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:06 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
lmao at people that think this is an amazing event like Allaire wasa some kind of poison.

Was it allaire giving us bad goaltending or maybe it was actually just the goaltenders and the system in front of them??

Toskala- Terrible
Gustavsson- Mentally unstable, consistently got in his own head when he let in a goal, very streaky.

Have we even gotten a highly touted goalie and they just crapped out? NO, we've literally been playing with either younger prospects who havent fully developed yet, free agents from europe(gus) who werent guarenteed to be great or washed up elite goalies like Giguere who didnt have a good season for like 2 years prior to joining us.

A new goalie coach isnt gonna do much, Reimer is NEVER going to be an elite tender, same with scrivens, I 've seen them enough to know they are average looking goalies.

Saying reimer and scrivens will never be elite goal tenders is harsh, especially considering you already said you haven't seen enough of scrivens to judge. Give them time. They still might not be elite, but you can't write them off completely. Both of their careers in the NHL are still short.

LeafsMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
IME

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Hiring Ed Belfour (my favourite player, ever) as a goaltending coach would quite possibly be the worst idea, ever. Same could be said of Joseph.
In all seriousness, Belfour was slated to be the Blues goaltending coach a couple years ago (in Peoria)...before he just got up and left to go build his house midway through

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:27 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
Saying reimer and scrivens will never be elite goal tenders is harsh, especially considering you already said you haven't seen enough of scrivens to judge. Give them time. They still might not be elite, but you can't write them off completely. Both of their careers in the NHL are still short.
I dont see how that's harsh. It's pretty easy to tell an elite goalie from a non-elite one.

How many elite goalies are even in the league today?

Luongo, Thomas, Price, Quick, Brodeur(younger version), Lundvquist, Rinne?

probably around 7-8 total as i'm sure I missed one or two.

the rest would be average or above average. Reimer and Scrivens do not have the reflexes, glove hands or ability that these goalies have.

Quickness and speed dont just pop up, you either have it or you dont. They can improve their mentality, but if they dont have the natural ability they cant really do much.

Hopefully Reimer or scrivens becomes a Theodore, Vokoun, Fleury, Nabokov etc. kind of average or above average goalie. But those rarely win cups(fleury having an amazing team in front of him)

We seriously need new help if we ever want to contend.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:38 PM
ALine

Quote:

Toskala- Terrible

Its not that the goelie we had were that terrible, the problem Is, that to Allaire, there is only one style to playing goal, his style. Allaire's coaching helped make Roy and Giguere into elite goalies for a time, but has also teken promising goalies that have varying styles, and shoe horns them into the mold of prime Roy of giggy. It just doesn't work like that. Its clear as day the difference in Gustvssons game between when he first came over and his final days. He's not even the same goalie anymore. For him to find suicess in Detroit, all he has to to is forget everything allaire has toild him to do. Gustavsson is not a blocking goalie.I can't understand why Allaire would try to make him into one.

The same can said for Reimer. The way he played goal in his first stint for the last 40 odd games at the end of the '10/'11 season is noticably different than how he does now. Reimer"s glove is fine. The problem is Allaire doesn't allow him to use it. For those high glove hand shots, he's tauigh to stay high and block it with his shoulder, which is less effective. And also leaves the loiwer half more vulnerable when playing that style.

Tokala was another casualty of being forced into a style he wasn't comfortable in. He had a promising first stint aswell, until his style of goaltending was changed by Allaire to suit his idea of a goalie.

In short, yes, Allaire was a problem. He disnt do what a coah shoud be doimg, which is gettimg the best natural talent out of a player and developing what made them good in the first place. What he has done is narrow his idea of what goalie are, and any goalie that doesn't fit that mold is forced into that style, regardless of their strengths.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:57 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
The same can said for Reimer. The way he played goal in his first stint for the last 40 odd games at the end of the '10/'11 season is noticably different than how he does now. Reimer"s glove is fine. The problem is Allaire doesn't allow him to use it. For those high glove hand shots, he's tauigh to stay high and block it with his shoulder, which is less effective. And also leaves the loiwer half more vulnerable when playing that style.

Tokala was another casualty of being forced into a style he wasn't comfortable in. He had a promising first stint aswell, until his style of goaltending was changed by Allaire to suit his idea of a goalie.

In short, yes, Allaire was a problem. He disnt do what a coah shoud be doimg, which is gettimg the best natural talent out of a player and developing what made them good in the first place. What he has done is narrow his idea of what goalie are, and any goalie that doesn't fit that mold is forced into that style, regardless of their strengths.
That's a joke, Allaire was training with Reimer Long before he came up to the leafs and had a great year.

Allaire does not advise against using the glove. You want a goalie that can save with his glove look at luongo, oh wait, who does Luongo train with in the off-season? Francois allaire!

There's nothing wrong with the way allaire teaches, but when the quality of goalies isnt up to par, there isn't much you can do.

I DO agree however that Gus was less of an allaire goalie, he was more of a flopper tim thomas type, only difference is Gus has/had a terrible mentality which made him very inconsistent. edit: Reimer and scrivens are very much "allaire types" though, they aren't very athletic so they have to rely on being more technical and making the smart positional save.

an allaire quality goalie is solid technically, simple and has a great glove hand, I.E Luongo who is one of the best goalies in the game.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Stephen

Quote:

Toskala- Terrible

Well, if a goalie coach cannot make a positive contribution and make the goalies better than we found them, isn't his role basically redundant anyway? If that's the case, no harm no foul in letting a guy with zero net benefit on the staff continue.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:17 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well, if a goalie coach cannot make a positive contribution and make the goalies better than we found them, isn't his role basically redundant anyway? If that's the case, no harm no foul in letting a guy with zero net benefit on the staff continue.
I dont know if he had zero net benefit but the goalies seemed to like him.

There's only so much a goalie can truly learn at the NHL level. Really it's all about teaching proper mentality and reinforcing proper techniques. There's never a time where allaire is all"play scared, dont use your glove, play safe, play deep etc." Reimer played deep because he mentality became poor, it's not like Allaire changed his teachning tactics from 10-11 to 11-12 and told him to start playing deep.

Anyway it doesnt matter either way, I cant even name many coaches on other teams, this was really just a scape goat for the poor goaltending we had these past couple years.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:29 PM
trellaine201

Tweeted Rick st croix new goalie coach

Hearing Maple Leafs will announce Rick St. Croix as new goalie coach @CraigJButton

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:42 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Tweeted Rick st croix new goalie coach

Hearing Maple Leafs will announce Rick St. Croix as new goalie coach @CraigJButton
interesting, he was Belfour's goalie coach before.

Still this ultimately doesnt mean very much IMO.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:45 PM
noway

Until they get some players who are interested in playing good team defence, who cares?

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:04 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...dnt-do-my-job/

Quote:
“I think they have enough of them. They have two or three guys who were making decisions with the goalies. In the NHL, that’s not the way it works.

Goaltender James Reimer agreed that there was some “behind the scenes” issues with the Leafs coaching situation last year that affected Allaire’s role.

“I think there was some confusion last year and a couple of misunderstandings,” said Reimer. “I don’t know if everyone clicked last year. There was some trouble in some areas and … I don’t know if I want to get into it that much or comment on it too much. But I know that there were times when he was frustrated that we didn’t have more time to work on some stuff.”

“James Reimer, the past two years that I worked with him, I was really happy with everything. He’s a great kid. He’s going to be a great goalie.”
I don't think we can just say it is Allaire whinging on his way out the door when it is coming right from a Maple Leafs player directly impacted.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.

Last edited by ULF_55: 09-18-2012 at 08:17 AM.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
ALine

Where/when are those quotes from, ULF?

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:18 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator