HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

François Allaire will not return as goalie coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
09-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Quadruple Dion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Where/when are those quotes from, ULF?
Today's Globe has a lot of the same quotes from Reimer, as you can see here.

Quadruple Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:25 AM
81Leafs50

**** Allaire!!

Not only did he get paid for three years, but he ruined Toskala and Gustavsson by trying to get them to block pucks when their stats were amazing being athletic and acrobatic.

Tim Thomas, Dominic Hasek, Brodeur come to mind.

Some goalies are not meant to play the Allaire style.

GOOD RIDDANCE!

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:06 AM
ALine

I wonder what Allaire and Reimer mean by these quotes. The 'too many cooks in the kitchen'. Who could they be talking about. Did Cronin, Farrish or Gordon involve themselves too much. After these comments, clarification by the team will definitely need to occur, and how it will be addressed.

But I agree, good riddance

ALine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:26 AM
pdmuck

Whichever scenario you consider the "real" story here to be, the accountability ultimately starts and stops with Burke:

1. Allaire never had enough goaltending talent to work with here: Burke is responsible for bringing in the player talent, so that falls on him, not Allaire

2. Allaire's approach is/was inappropriate for the Leafs goalies: Allaire was Burke's hire, and very highly touted by Burke at that, so Burke believed in him, so strongly in fact that he offered to renew his contract

3. Allaire wasn't given enough time with the goalies and was unable to coach them the way he wanted so he left in frustration: Burke is ultimately responsible for making sure the coaching is organized properly and coordinated in their approach. If there were issues behind the scenes as Allaire and Reimer imply, that's indicative of a flawed organization and poor coaching talent in it.

4. Allaire wasn't optimistic enough that things would improve under Carlyle versus Wilson and Allaire has already worked with Carlyle: this is perhaps most worrisome and again, lies at the feet of Burke.

Ultimately, regardless of what you think of Allaire and his coaching technique, the fact that Burke offered Allaire an extension and he said "Thanks, but no thanks" doesn't give you confidence in the staff or the organization. They sound flawed and its uninspiring.

pdmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Tiger Blood

I'm so glad Allaire is gone.

He can only successfully work with one style of goaltender.

If he comes across someone with a different style, such as Gustavsson, he can't help the goalie through his struggles because Allaires only solution seems to be "change your playing style to what I want because it's worked before" which is completely ridiculous. A goalie coach should be adaptive and be able to recognize the little tweaks that a goalie might need to do to their style to improve. Not tell that goalie to abandon their style entirely and learn a new one (while they're in their 20s or 30s as well).

Hopefully the next guy they bring in will nurture the style already played by the goalies, because that's the style that got them this far. Why screw with it?

Tiger Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:41 AM
HocKEyFrEaK99

maybe Detroit will hire Allaire!! lol

HocKEyFrEaK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:42 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
“No one was complaining about Allaire when Gustavsson was carrying the team in December. But I guess he’s the next thing. They’ve gone after the coach, after me, now it’s the goalie coach. Who’s next? Dave Morrison, our chief scout?

-Brian Burke

Seriously I can't wait until this crybaby is out of here. He accepts no responsibility for anything. Its quite pathetic.
So far at the end of every year he has blamed himself for the lousy seasons, maybe you should check your facts a little more before you come on here and bother us with your childish rants.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Pierre Gotye

Something is wrong in the Leafs organization when it comes to goaltending. In the past we attritbuted it to coaching(Wilson) or talent(Gustavsson, Toskala). Lack of experience, depth, defensive style...etc. All of those things are worthy...however:

Let's be honest, only Raycroft has put in the most productive year since the lockout. Everyone since has had mixed results or only short term success.

Allaire was brought in here to fix the goaltending inadequacies. But nothing changed. This team will never be a contender until the goaltending issues are fixed.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Tweeted Rick st croix new goalie coach

Hearing Maple Leafs will announce Rick St. Croix as new goalie coach @CraigJButton

09-18-2012, 01:56 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post
In all seriousness, Belfour was slated to be the Blues goaltending coach a couple years ago (in Peoria)...before he just got up and left to go build his house midway through
Then they got Corey Hirsh from the Leafs as their Goaltending Coach.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmuck View Post
Whichever scenario you consider the "real" story here to be, the accountability ultimately starts and stops with Burke:

1. Allaire never had enough goaltending talent to work with here: Burke is responsible for bringing in the player talent, so that falls on him, not Allaire

2. Allaire's approach is/was inappropriate for the Leafs goalies: Allaire was Burke's hire, and very highly touted by Burke at that, so Burke believed in him, so strongly in fact that he offered to renew his contract

3. Allaire wasn't given enough time with the goalies and was unable to coach them the way he wanted so he left in frustration: Burke is ultimately responsible for making sure the coaching is organized properly and coordinated in their approach. If there were issues behind the scenes as Allaire and Reimer imply, that's indicative of a flawed organization and poor coaching talent in it.

4. Allaire wasn't optimistic enough that things would improve under Carlyle versus Wilson and Allaire has already worked with Carlyle: this is perhaps most worrisome and again, lies at the feet of Burke.

Ultimately, regardless of what you think of Allaire and his coaching technique, the fact that Burke offered Allaire an extension and he said "Thanks, but no thanks" doesn't give you confidence in the staff or the organization. They sound flawed and its uninspiring.
I agree with your points except for #3. Burke has always stated the Head Coach is responsible for the coaching staff and he doesn't get involved.

Regardless I would blame either or both of Wilson and Carlyle for the crowded goalie staff. I would also blame Allaire for not getting his ice time because thats ridiculous. Ice can be available at all times! Unless there's a rule about specific practice times for players and coaching staff.

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Wendel17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Strange he wouldn't give the same coaching staff he had in Anaheim a bit of a leash. I can understand if Wilson was still around and he left, but with Carlyle it at least seems they'll focus on being more defensively responsible.

Sounds to me like he just wanted out and a fresh start (while getting some shots in on the way) wherever he goes - which is his prerogative after his contract is up.
I was thinking the same thing. But as someone else mentioned, maybe Allaire had a bad feeling about going into the season with only Reimer and Scrivens and no veteran help. It looks like Allaire is trying to spare himself another headache filled season.

Wendel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Wendel17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Isn't that what a good boss does, defends and deflects attention away from his employees?
Yes. I'd love to work for Brian Burke. That's how you build loyalty. Throwing people under the bus is never a good thing.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Wendel17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
I think Belfour would make a good goalie coach. A bit crazy, but if he can disseminate his work ethic it certainly couldn't hurt.
Was thinking that as well. Belfour was always good positionally and relied on his smarts to achieve success. Whereas Joseph was just a very athletic goalie with good reflexes - not sure that would make a good goalie coach.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Wendel17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Allaire is pretty classless, points the blame at anyone but himself and just basically up and leaves and says **** off.
Agreed. If Burke is his friend at all he should have left quietly and kept his mouth shut. All he's done is created trouble for Burke where none existed.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Macman

I'm glad he's gone. It obviously wasn't working.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:43 PM
trellaine201

I'm sure he's also glad he's gone from this poorly run supposed empire. Never a day without drama.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
Something is wrong in the Leafs organization when it comes to goaltending. In the past we attritbuted it to coaching(Wilson) or talent(Gustavsson, Toskala). Lack of experience, depth, defensive style...etc. All of those things are worthy...however:

Let's be honest, only Raycroft has put in the most productive year since the lockout. Everyone since has had mixed results or only short term success.

Allaire was brought in here to fix the goaltending inadequacies. But nothing changed. This team will never be a contender until the goaltending issues are fixed.
I would certainly argue (and be right ) that Toskala's first year in Toronto was better than Raycroft's 06-07.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
tony135420

Why are there 8 pages about a goalie coach leaving? Do you really care what he has to say??

I mean, good luck to him in the future, but he's a bleeping goalie coach!

Geez, I hope the stick boy doesn't leave and have choice words on his way out, every media outlet in this city will have a front page spread on it....

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:53 PM
ThirdRowGreens

Burke/TML just publicly responded to Allaire's comments:

http://blog.mapleleafs.com/burke-bla...ncois-allaire/

ThirdRowGreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:02 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
So far at the end of every year he has blamed himself for the lousy seasons, maybe you should check your facts a little more before you come on here and bother us with your childish rants.

That was Ownership who publicly appologized to the fans in the paper.

all Brian had was this to say:

“I’m trying to build a championship team here,” Burke said. “And that’s very hard to see here today, but the building blocks, the keys that you need – the Phil Kessels, the Joffrey Lupuls, the Jake Gardiners, the Dion Phaneufs, the second line – all those things have been put in place.

“And that’s what can’t be overlooked as you analyze and dissect a season. Even a season that’s marked by failure. I think we’re going in the right direction.”

Rinse.Repeat.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:05 PM
CG14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdRowGreens View Post

Comes across as the typical "he didn't leave, I fired him" argument. Don't understand it, just one month before the end of the season (March 3rd) Burke stated: "Francois Allaire is not going anywhere. I think we have the best goalie coach on the planet." -@jonasTSN1050

CG14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:

Why does BB need to voice his opinion on everything? Just brush it off for once. Uhg.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:08 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:

hahaha this is good. The wheels are starting to come off.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:08 PM
spidergoalie

Regardless of anyone's opinion of Allaire, if Burke was so unhappy with him, why did he offer him a contract extension? How can Burke square these comments with his own actions?

spidergoalie is offline   Reply With Quote