HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

François Allaire will not return as goalie coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
09-18-2012, 03:10 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Why does BB need to voice his opinion on everything? Just brush it off for once. Uhg.
I'd guess the Media asked him about it.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:10 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergoalie View Post
Regardless of anyone's opinion of Allaire, if Burke was so unhappy with him, why did he offer him a contract extension? How can Burke square these comments with his own actions?
He hired the guy in the first place too!

“The position has evolved in the last three to five years,” Burke said. Nobody plays the classic stand-up any more either. Everything advances.”

Literally throwing mud on himself with these comments.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Everlong
-

March - "Francois Allaire is not going anywhere. I think we have the best goalie coach on the planet."

September - “The position has evolved in the last three to five years,” Burke said. Nobody plays the classic stand-up any more either. Everything advances.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I'd guess the Media asked him about it.
So? There is such a thing as biting your tongue.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:12 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Regardless of anyone's opinion of Allaire, if Burke was so unhappy with him, why did he offer him a contract extension? How can Burke square these comments with his own actions?
Probably for the same reason Rotten Ronnie got an extension. Cause Burkie doesn't know which way is up. Could also explain why the Leafs jare at the bottom of the league.

hockeyfanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:15 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
March - "Francois Allaire is not going anywhere. I think we have the best goalie coach on the planet."

September - “The position has evolved in the last three to five years,” Burke said. Nobody plays the classic stand-up any more either. Everything advances.”

So? There is such a thing as biting your tongue.
and "No Comment" would be construed as what?

Old
09-18-2012, 03:16 PM
WhiskeyBurning

http://blog.mapleleafs.com/burke-bla...ncois-allaire/

Burke Blasts Performance Of Francois Allaire
By Mike Ulmer, Posted on September 18, 2012

Maple Leafs General Manager Brian Burke agrees there was interference with goaltending consultant Francois Allaire but said the pressure came in an attempt to spur a revamp of Allaire’s techniques.

“I regret that I have to deal with this matter publicly but I feel the need to respond. Was there interference from the staff as he said there was? Yes. But it was done reluctantly and it was done to change elements of our goaltending that was sub-par.”

Burke, who hired Allaire away from his former team in Anaheim three years ago, said Allaire wasn’t going to be asked back after the club finished 29th in goals against with a bloated 3.16 average. That’s 1.26 goals a game higher than the St. Louis Blues’ league-leading total. The Leafs finished 24th and 29th in goals against in Allaire’s two other seasons.

In an interview with The National Post Monday, Allaire told reporter Michael Traikos that he decided to leave the team because of internal interference with his methods. “I didn’t feel like I could do my job,” he said. While he did not furnish any names, the remarks fuelled speculation that the interference came from either coach Ron Wilson, who was fired last March, or his assistants, Scott Gordon, a one-time NCAA and NHL goalie, and Greg Cronin. Gordon and Cronin were retained by current coach Randy Carlyle.

The Leafs GM said Allaire’s comments forced him to step away from his long-standing policy of never criticizing a current or past member of his staff and offered his trademark good wishes and thanks.

Burke, who steadfastly defended Allaire throughout media calls for his ouster, then shredded the job delivered by the most famous goalie coach in the sport.

Allaire’s approach with his goalies, Burke said, hadn’t altered even though rule changes meant his insistence on the butterfly technique wasn’t working.

“The position has evolved in the last three to five years,” Burke said. Nobody plays the classic stand-up any more either. Everything advances.”

Rules to minimize obstruction and limit goaltending equipment prompted the evolution of hybrid goalies who retain the solid elements of the butterfly by striving to be square to the shooter and rotating with pads down and body erect during scrums. Hybrid goalies usually stay on their feet longer and use their hands to snare pucks rather than chance rebounds. Jonathan Quick of the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings and franchise goalies such as the Rangers Henrik Lundqvist, Dallas goalie Kari Lehtonen and Nashville’s Pekka Rinne are considered hybrid goalies.

Burke said he expected to name a successor within a matter of days.

Certainly, Burke’s goalies have stayed true to the longstanding code of never criticizing coaches.

Despite rave reviews in Sweden, goalie Jonas Gustavsson struggled under Allaire. But Gustavsson, who signed with Detroit as a free agent in July, steadfastly defended his coaching. Incumbent James Reimer enjoyed an excellent half season under Allaire in 2009-2010 but the deterioration of his play was written off as the results of a head-hit in his sixth game. He credits Allaire with getting him into the NHL.

Allaire devised his technique working with Patrick Roy in Montreal from the mid 1980s to mid 1990s. That partnership yielded a pair of Stanley Cups. Allaire coached Jean-Sebastien Giguere when he captured the Conn Smythe Trophy in 2003. Giguere was in goal and coached by Allaire when the Ducks won the Stanley Cup under Burke in 2007 but Giguere struggled in his second season when reunited with Allaire in Toronto. He rebounded last season in Colorado.

WhiskeyBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
and "No Comment" would be construed as what?
Alot less commotion and "drama" than we're witnessing now.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:18 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
I think you mean more. This just puts it to rest.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:20 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

I think Allaire was working as a double agent for the habs all along.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:21 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
When did Burke offer a contract extension?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
I think you mean more. This just puts it to rest.
I don't want to get into this any further, but "puts it to rest" just means more media coverage and more quotes to talk about. No comment = no story.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:22 PM
green lantern

One thing to consider is that since the lockout (and i realize Allaire has only been here the second half) is that the only goalie in the leafs system who went on to anything decent was Rask.

Belfour; one good bounceback year in Florida and then out
Tellqvist; backed up in Phoenix for a year.
Aubin; one year as a backup in L.A. and then out
Raycroft; career backup ever since
Pogge; never cracked an NHL lineup as more than a fill in
Toskala; finished the year he was traded as a backup and left for europe
Macdonald; a year as a backup
Giguere; decent year as a backup last year but doesnt seem to be a starter again.

Point being not all is on the goalie coach; scouts and management have failed to bring in a decent one. Overall I support Burke but the fact remains in his career, the only solid goalie he has ever acquired was Hiller. Vancouver he put a lot of stock into Dan Cloutier.

green lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:28 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
When did Burke offer a contract extension?
As reported by numerous publications - the end of last season.
Try again.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
spidergoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
He hired the guy in the first place too!

Literally throwing mud on himself with these comments.
Funny thing is that exactly 5 years ago in 2007, Frankie Allaire was hoisting the Stanley cup. The following season JS Giguere had his best statistical season. Last season Giguere's personal numbers were almost identical to his cup winning season, still playing a pure Allaire style, and behind a non-playoff team.....yeah the style is the problem, not chronic mismanagement.

Bottom line is anyone who believes anything Brian Burke says is delusional. Yet so many seem to hang on his every word.

spidergoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
daveleaf

Burkie contradicted himself again, what is new? Listen, let's just let him finish off the year here and see where we go. This team is all his, good or bad.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
I don't want to get into this any further, but "puts it to rest" just means more media coverage and more quotes to talk about. No comment = no story.
Don't see it that way at all. The story will die now.

"No comment" validates Allaires comments and we would have a a never ending hunt for the Goalie Coach Meddler with everyone wondering which part of the Organization they will destroy next.

No doubt there are times when Burke shouldn't say anything, this wasn't one of them.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
It's great that people think it's impossible for someone's opinion of someone else's techniques (or the root causes for a problematic situation) to change over the course of a year, even though people here change their opinion every ******* week during the season.

It's not inconceivable to me that things started to turn south over the course of this season, given the record, personnel changes, and public outcry.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:30 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Funny thing is that exactly 5 years ago in 2007, Frankie Allaire was hoisting the Stanley cup. The following season JS Giguere had his best statistical season. Last season Giguere's personal numbers were almost identical to his cup winning season, still playing a pure Allaire style, and behind a non-playoff team.....yeah the style is the problem, not chronic mismanagement.

Bottom line is anyone who believes anything Brian Burke says is delusional. Yet so many seem to hang on his every word.
So we don't believe he offered him a contract?That I agree with.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:31 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Don't see it that way at all. The story will die now.

"No comment" validates Allaires comments and we would have a a never ending hunt for the Goalie Coach Meddler with everyone wondering which part of the Organization they will destroy next.

No doubt there are times when Burke shouldn't say anything, this wasn't one of them.
Would that have been so bad considering who was coaching at the time? Or is this Brian sticking up for Ronnie? Doesn't matter, let's finish off the year and let the board decide if the job he has done and the way he conducts business to be of the boards standards.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Would that have been so bad considering who was coaching at the time? Or is this Brian sticking up for Ronnie? Doesn't matter, let's finish off the year and let the board decide if the job he has done and the way he conducts business to be of the boards standards.
I assumed this went on before and after Wilsons firing.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
The drama wasn't created by Burke, It was created by Allaire spewing off to Traikos in the paper.

You didn't see or hear Acton or Hunter sounding of against the organization though the media when they were let go. Burke doesn't chew out his players or staff in public(even though he should sometimes) and he expects that to be reciprocated.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:34 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
I assumed this went on before and after Wilsons firing.
Wilson was already here when Allaire came. I just don't see Carlyle being that guy considering there past. Something tells me Burkie felt the heat and he pressed the assistants.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Dayjobdave

Well, good thing there's a lockout because this would have made for a heck of a first week of training camp.

Now the new guy will get some time to work with the goalies before the season starts, if the season starts.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
Well, good thing there's a lockout because this would have made for a heck of a first week of training camp.

Now the new guy will get some time to work with the goalies before the season starts, if the season starts.
I don't think that's allowed during a lockout.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
As reported by numerous publications - the end of last season.
Try again.
I always do a search before I ask, but get a dumb response anyway.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote