HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michalek out 4-6 weeks

Old
09-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
How soft is this guy??

I wonder if this will be his excuse if he has another awful year...
He has a career average of 53 pts (26 goals) per 82 games (including his rookie and sophomore seasons where young players usually develop and don't have very good numbers)

If he has had so many "awful years" in 7 NHL seasons, I guess it makes him a superstar in his normal/good years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Murray really missed the boat on trading this injury prone guy. His value was so high after last season. I predict he will revert back to his typical oft-injured style.
81, 78, 79, 77, 66, 66, 77

That's the number of games played by Milan in his 7 NHL seasons

He played 524 games out of 574 possible games... 91.29%

I guess that makes Alfredsson super injury-prone...

He played 1131 games out of 1312 possible games... 86.20%

lol I'm sure 91% is better than the average NHLer...

Quote:
Everyone else on the Sens roster had awful seasons 2 years ago?? Alfie over PPG and Spezza just under is brutal?? Fisher's 53 points was bad??

33 and 34 point seasons are bad for your alleged best winger... at least in my opinion
Ok I see, you have a bias against Michalek. Let's try to debunk it.

In 2010-11, the team really struggled with offense, so yes Michalek didn't have great numbers like other Sens...

He still had 33 pts in 66 games, which is 41 pts (22 goals) over 82 games. 41 pts was good for 135th in NHL forward scoring that season, which is "on average" the 4th/5th best forward scorer on your team

In 2009-10, he was coming to a new team. May I remind you that those guys aren't robots, they are like everyone else but have a special hockey talent. Adaptation is not an automatic thing

He still had 34 pts in 66 games, which is 42 pts (27 goals) over 82 games. 42 pts was good for 129th in forward scoring that season, which is "on average" the 4th best forward scorer on your team

May I also point out that he had an anomalous season in terms of assists, maybe because of a lack of chemistry, maybe because the team tried to transform him into a goal scorer, etc.

So even if he had awful seasons, he still had 2nd line numbers by NHL standards. Last year, he had 1st line numbers and was 11th in goal scoring, despite missing 5 games

So he (hypothetically) scored 22, 27 and 37 goals for the Sens and people still whine

Damn spoiled kids

Ok final argument even if I don't really need to add one... Michalek is paid 4.333 not 7.0... he's not supposed to be a superstar, but a 50-60 pts winger, which he is (average of 56 pts per 82 games in his last 6 NHL seasons). Great thing about Michalek is that he is useful even when not scoring. He skates very fast and plays a 200 feet game, like PM preaches

Last edited by Xspyrit: 09-20-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:04 AM
chrewilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
He has a career average of 53 pts (26 goals) per 82 games (including his rookie and sophomore seasons where young players usually develop and don't have very good numbers)

If he has had so many "awful years" in 7 NHL seasons, I guess it makes him a superstar in his normal/good years...

In 2010-11, the team really struggled with offense, so yes Michalek didn't have great numbers like other Sens...

He still had 33 pts in 66 games, which is 41 pts (22 goals) over 82 games. 41 pts was good for 135th in NHL forward scoring that season, which is "on average" the 4th/5th best forward scorer on your team

In 2009-10, he was coming to a new team. May I remind you that those guys aren't robots, they are like everyone else but have a special hockey talent. Adaptation is not an automatic thing

He still had 34 pts in 66 games, which is 42 pts (27 goals) over 82 games. 42 pts was good for 129th in forward scoring that season, which is "on average" the 4th best forward scorer on your team

May I also point out that he had an anomalous season in terms of assists, maybe because of a lack of chemistry, maybe because the team tried to transform him into a goal scorer, etc.

So even if he had awful seasons, he still had 2nd line numbers by NHL standards. Last year, he had 1st line numbers and was 11th in goal scoring, despite missing 5 games

So he (hypothetically) scored 22, 27 and 37 goals for the Sens and people still whine

Damn spoiled kids

Ok final argument even if I don't really need to add one... Michalek is paid 4.333 not 7.0... he's not supposed to be a superstar, but a 50-60 pts winger, which he is (average of 56 pts per 82 games in his last 6 NHL seasons). Great thing about Michalek is that he is useful even when not scoring. He skates very fast and plays a 200 feet game, like PM preaches

chrewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

Damn spoiled kids

I dont have a bias against Michalek... I actually like him as a player... But I wouldnt call him durable, or a superstar...

Why are you basing everything on an 82 game season when he never plays all 82??

He hasnt played 91% of his games while he has been here... he has played 85%... Missing an average of 12 games a year....

He has also averaged 42 points a season here, not 53

So instead of speculating what he might score if he were to be durable, and finish seasons with 82 games played... why not call him a guy who over his career is a 49 point player, who tends to miss close to 10% of his teams games??

He has also always had to rehab during every offseason since he has been here, except for last summer... so that also affects his play during the season, or at least every media member uses it as an excuse....

"this is the first summer he actually got to train, and not rehab" blah blah blah

I completely agree that he is a valuable player other than producing offense... no denying that...

He could also think about putting up some points in the playoffs as well... 2 pts in 8 playoff games here...weak

But he only gets paid 4.3 million... and only superstars score in the playoffs...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:30 AM
playasRus

Quote:
I dont have a bias against Michalek... I actually like him as a player... But I wouldnt call him durable, or a superstar...

Why are you basing everything on an 82 game season when he never plays all 82??
Because calling him injury prone refers to his entire career, not his 3 seasons in Ottawa alone.

Otherwise it'd be like Calgary fans saying M St Louis is not a superstar, based on how he hardly scored when he played for them.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Because calling him injury prone refers to his entire career, not his 3 seasons in Ottawa alone.

Otherwise it'd be like Calgary fans saying M St Louis is not a superstar, based on how he hardly scored when he played for them.

I never said he was injury prone...I said he was soft, not durable... he misses games... Why do I care what happened 5-6-7 years ago?? Or what happened when he played in SJ??

In other news...
Dany Heatley is a 50 goal, 100 pt scorer
Wade Redden is an NHL All-Star
The Maple Leafs are a dominant franchise, I mean, theyve won 13 Cups....

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I really like Michalek but he does have one really really bad feature:
He does not have the extra gear needed for playoff hockey. He wasn't bad against the Rangers but he was not as good as we needed him to be (maybe more of indictment of the team rather than Milan though).

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:25 PM
playasRus

Quote:
I never said he was injury prone...I said he was soft, not durable... he misses games... Why do I care what happened 5-6-7 years ago?? Or what happened when he played in SJ??

In other news...
Dany Heatley is a 50 goal, 100 pt scorer
Wade Redden is an NHL All-Star
The Maple Leafs are a dominant franchise, I mean, theyve won 13 Cups....
Not durable is the same thing as injury prone.
I'm arguing that just because he missed significant parts of two seasons doesn't mean he's likely going to continue to do so.

Your "In other news" remark only further suggests that looking at a couple seasons does not automatically decide the upcoming quality of play of a player.

And the injury prone comment also came from another poster arguing that we should've traded Michalek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Murray really missed the boat on trading this injury prone guy. His value was so high after last season. I predict he will revert back to his typical oft-injured style.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote