HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

What are teams Giving to STHs for the lockout (MOD: Interest on ST payments)

Old
09-16-2012, 11:12 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Ticket departments prep for lockout

Received this email earlier tonight

2012-13 Single-Game Ticket Options Update

Dear *****,

We would like to thank you for your support as a loyal fan. The Chicago Blackhawks are committed to keeping you informed and providing you with as much information as possible regarding possible changes to our upcoming season.The Blackhawks depend upon you for our success and are eager to provide you with the best possible service.

We also wanted to provide you with the information below that will help you with questions about your tickets for the upcoming season:

Games have all been numbered 1 to 41 (preseason games A, B & C)
If the season starts with the existing schedule, tickets will be honored as originally issued starting with Game Number 1 on Oct. 13 and proceeding throughout the scheduled season.
If the season starts with rescheduled game dates and/or opponents, tickets will be honored starting with Game Number 1 and continuing through to the end of the revised schedule (Preseason games A, B, C).
You will receive a full refund for tickets purchased to cancelled games.
We will post new information on chicagoblackhawks.com as it becomes available.
We welcome your input and encourage you to call our office with any questions. Our Customer Service Department is available to you by calling (312) 455-7000.

We thank you for your patience and continued support!

The Chicago Blackhawks
__________________________________________________ _______

This really sucks. I bought to tickets to see Detroit, Minnesota, and LA to see those teams, and because the resale value for those games should be some of the highest. Really not cool that'll just be assigned to any random game when/if the season begins.

If anyone hears anything from your respective team's ticket department on how they are dealing with the threat of canceled games, please share.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:39 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
STH info from the Sharks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
And so it begins ...

Quote:
Dear Xxxxx,

As you may be aware, the NHL and NHL Players' Association are currently negotiating a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). While we are optimistic that a new agreement will be finalized very soon, we have decided to postpone your season ticket shipment due to the potential delay to the start of the season. Once a new agreement is reached we will communicate the details regarding your ticket shipment. Your Season Ticket Holder pins will be mailed the week of September 17. Please use your pin to receive your Season Ticket Holder discount at the Sharks Store.

For more information about your season tickets and how the CBA may affect your account, please visit our FAQ page or feel free to contact me.

We appreciate your patience and continued support.

Go Sharks!

Sincerely,
Xxxxxx Xxxxxx
(xxx) xxx-xxxx
And 13 different ways of saying will we refund your money if games are cancelled:

Quote:
SEASON TICKET HOLDER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Updated 9/10/2012

When is my final payment due?
We will not charge any payments due after September 15 for Full Season Tickets or SharkPaks until the NHL and the NHL Playersí Association (NHLPA) reach a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) for the 2012-13 season.

Iím a Full Season Ticket Holder and Iím enrolled in one of your payment plan options (six-month autopay or three-installment plan). If thereís a delay in the season, what happens to the funds on my account?
At the time the current CBA expires, your season tickets will be at least 70% paid. We will not charge or invoice for any future payments until there is a CBA in place. Once an agreement is reached, we will adjust your final payment(s) to reflect the actual number of games scheduled. Season Ticket Holders enrolled in six-month autopay will automatically be charged their remaining balance. Season Ticket Holders enrolled in the three-installment plan will be invoiced for the remaining balance.

What happens if the NHL cancels more than 30% of the season?
Should the NHL officially cancel more than 30% of the games for the 2012-13 season, we will offer full season ticket holders refunds on a month by month basis.

Iím a Full Season Ticket Holder and Iíve paid in full for my tickets. If thereís a delay in the season, what happens to the funds on my account?
Beginning October 31, we will refund accounts for games missed in September and October.
We will continue to offer refunds on a month by month basis at the end of each month.

Iím a SharkPak Holder and Iím enrolled in the payment plan (three-month autopay). If thereís a delay in the season, what happens to the funds on my account?
At the time the current CBA expires, your SharkPak tickets will be 75% paid. We will not charge your final payment until there is a CBA in place. Once an agreement is reached, we will adjust your final payment to reflect the actual number of games scheduled and automatically charge the balance.

What happens if the NHL cancels more than 25% of the season?
Should the NHL officially cancel more than 25% of the games for the 2012-13 season, we will offer SharkPak holders refunds on a month by month basis.

Iím a SharkPak Holder and Iíve paid in full for my tickets. If thereís a delay in the season, what happens to the funds on my account?
Beginning October 31, we will refund accounts for games missed in September and October.
We will continue to offer refunds on a month by month basis at the end of each month.

I purchased individual tickets for a preseason game. What happens if itís cancelled?
If a game is not played for any reason, you will receive a refund. Tickets that are purchased in person at HP Pavilion must be returned to the Ticket Office for a full refund. For tickets purchased through Ticketmaster, please click here for their refund policy.

I used Power Play Ticket Trader credit to pay for my full season tickets or SharkPak. What happens to this credit if games are officially cancelled?
Power Play Ticket Trader credit will be credited back to your Sharks account and can be used for future playoff tickets or season ticket packages.

When will I be able to forward, donate, reprint, and post tickets to Power Play Ticket Trader through My Sharks Account?
Online ticket management through My Sharks Account will be available once the NHL and NHLPA finalize a new CBA. You will be notified via email once these options are available.

Iím a Full Season Ticket Holder. When will my tickets be mailed out?
Ticket booklets will be shipped out via 2-Day UPS once the NHL and NHLPA finalize a CBA for the upcoming season. You will be notified of your tracking number via email once the tickets have shipped.

Iím a SharkPak Holder. When will my tickets be mailed out?
SharkPak tickets will be shipped out via 2-Day UPS once the NHL and NHLPA finalize a CBA for the upcoming season. You will be notified of your tracking number via email once the tickets have shipped.

When will the Teal and White event be held for this season?
The Teal and White event date will be set after the CBA is finalized and we will communicate all the details via email as soon as it is available.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Received this email earlier tonight

2012-13 Single-Game Ticket Options Update

Dear *****,

We would like to thank you for your support as a loyal fan. The Chicago Blackhawks are committed to keeping you informed and providing you with as much information as possible regarding possible changes to our upcoming season.The Blackhawks depend upon you for our success and are eager to provide you with the best possible service.

We also wanted to provide you with the information below that will help you with questions about your tickets for the upcoming season:

Games have all been numbered 1 to 41 (preseason games A, B & C)
If the season starts with the existing schedule, tickets will be honored as originally issued starting with Game Number 1 on Oct. 13 and proceeding throughout the scheduled season.
If the season starts with rescheduled game dates and/or opponents, tickets will be honored starting with Game Number 1 and continuing through to the end of the revised schedule (Preseason games A, B, C).
You will receive a full refund for tickets purchased to cancelled games.
We will post new information on chicagoblackhawks.com as it becomes available.
We welcome your input and encourage you to call our office with any questions. Our Customer Service Department is available to you by calling (312) 455-7000.

We thank you for your patience and continued support!

The Chicago Blackhawks
__________________________________________________ _______

This really sucks. I bought to tickets to see Detroit, Minnesota, and LA to see those teams, and because the resale value for those games should be some of the highest. Really not cool that'll just be assigned to any random game when/if the season begins.

If anyone hears anything from your respective team's ticket department on how they are dealing with the threat of canceled games, please share.
What I would do if I were you is ask them for a refund, if they refuse, dispute the charges on your credit card.

I know with american express I could dispute the charges, get a refund, AND most likely keep the tickets as well.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
My email from the Jets:

Quote:
September 16, 2012

Dear xxxx:

Re: NHL Work Stoppage

(...)

Please be assured that you will receive full credit for your season ticket payment on account with us for any and all games cancelled. To that end, the Winnipeg Jets have established the following policies with respect to cancelled games, account credits and/or refunds of season ticket payments:

The Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club will provide a full account credit or refund to you, as Primary Account Holder, for any cancelled pre-season and/or regular season games during the 2012-2013 season.
As a Winnipeg Jets Season Ticket Holder in good standing and participating in our monthly payment plan you will have the following two options:

OPTION A

Retain your season ticket payments paid to date on account with the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club and continue with your monthly payment plan payments on the 15th of each month.

By selecting Option A you will receive the credit equivalent to simple interest calculated at an annual rate of 2.0%, based on the amount paid from the date at which the Winnipeg Jets first pre-season game is cancelled on Tuesday, September 25, 2012 to the date on which Winnipeg Jets hockey resumes at the MTS Centre for the 2012-2013 season.

A credit equivalent to simple interest will continue to be calculated at an annual rate of 2.0% from the date Winnipeg Jets regular season play resumes for the 2012-2013 season to the date your 2012-2013 playoff invoice is due or your first or second installment payment is due for the 2013-2014 season. This calculation will be based on the balance of funds held in your account which represents the cash equivalent value of the number of games cancelled as a result of the work stoppage.

The total value of games cancelled in the 2012-2013 season, plus the interest equivalent credit as described herein, will be applied to your account to be used as a set-off against your outstanding monthly payment plan installments, 2012-2013 playoff invoice or the first or second installment payment due for your 2013-2014 season tickets; or, alternatively,

OPTION B

Discontinue your monthly payment plan option effective September 15th, 2012 and request a refund of your season ticket payment for cancelled games using the same method of payment as your initial payment.

By selecting Option B you will earn simple interest calculated at an annual rate of 1.0% on your account balance from the date on which the first pre-season game is cancelled on Tuesday, September 25, 2012.

Refunds for games cancelled, commencing with the month ending September 30th, 2012, will be issued to you, along with interest earned, within 10 business days of the last day of each succeeding month and will be based upon the number of games cancelled in the prior month.

Interest will continue to be earned on account balances to the date on which Winnipeg Jets hockey resumes at the MTS Centre for the 2012-2013 season.

Monthly payments, including any catch up payments, will commence on the 15th of the month in which Winnipeg Jets hockey resumes at the MTS Centre.

(...)
Tl;dr version: if you continue making regular payments on your ST account, you'll be refunded for games missed + interest of 2%. If you put a stop to your payments, you'll be refunded for games missed + interest of 1%.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:07 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
What are teams Giving to STHs for the lockout (MOD: Interest on ST payments)

Just looking at what teams are giving Season Ticket Holders during the lockout to keep their money with the team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...oney-with-team

Minnesota: 10%
Anaheim: 5%
Los Angeles: 5%
Buffalo: 4%
Columbus: 4%
Winnipeg: 3%
Chicago: 2%

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:34 PM
patnyrnyg

Rangers have said they will continue to charge those on the monthly payment plan for September and October. Home schedule doesnt begin until november and they do not think this will last more than a few weeks. My wife called our credit card company and told them to block any charges from MSG until we say otherwise. I am not giving them another dime.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Philadelphia is giving 2%

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Pittsburgh: 1.5%

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:38 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Carolina: 3%

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Just looking at what teams are giving Season Ticket Holders during the lockout to keep their money with the team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...oney-with-team

Minnesota: 10%
Anaheim: 5%
Los Angeles: 5%
Buffalo: 4%
Columbus: 4%
Winnipeg: 3%
Chicago: 2%
Edmonton 4%, Calgary 3%, Vancouver 2% and Washington 1% (nice job Ted) are the others that I have seen.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:40 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

ottawa 5%

09-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Realm

Montreal 3%

Old
09-17-2012, 03:02 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

kdb posted about in another thread Sharks it was 2% if you kept the monthly payments and 1% if you canceled (1% will apply on canceled games refunds).

Btw, Minnesota is definitely very generous.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:07 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

All STH should cancel.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Read it again.

Minnesota isn't giving you 10%, it's giving you a 10% APR.

Which means if the lockout lasts 2 months you're going to get approximately 2/12th of 10%

Old
09-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
kdb posted about in another thread Sharks it was 2% if you kept the monthly payments and 1% if you canceled (1% will apply on canceled games refunds).

Btw, Minnesota is definitely very generous.
4,000 new season ticket holders this year after signing Parise/Suter, he doesnt want to lose the momentum. It is very generous though, I would feel weird if I was Ted Leonsis offering 1% when another another is giving 10%. You would think the owners would have gotten together on the same page and all just offered the same number like 3%, maybe the owners really are in their own world.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
Read it again.

Minnesota isn't giving you 10%, it's giving you a 10% APR.

Which means if the lockout lasts 2 months you're going to get approximately 2/12th of 10%
That is what all teams are doing using the APR%

Old
09-17-2012, 03:14 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Dallas is 5%

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
4,000 new season ticket holders this year after signing Parise/Suter, he doesnt want to lose the momentum. It is very generous though, I would feel weird if I was Ted Leonsis offering 1% when another another is giving 10%. You would think the owners would have gotten together on the same page and all just offered the same number like 3%, maybe the owners really are in their own world.
No, it's free market forces at work.

Teams like toronto don't have to (and shouldn't) offer STH a dime, because they have a line of 20000 people who want to get STH. In fact, they can go as far as charging STH a fee to stay a STH during the lockout and get away with it.

Teams who don't sell out all their season tickets have to offer more incentive for people to stay.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:21 PM
MMonarchs

Anaheim is also offering a 1% for cash refunds.

MMonarchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:37 PM
yotesreign

More or less -

option 1: Coyotes will pay 2% simple interest each month or

option 2: 5% credit each month towards concessions, more tickets, or merch at the Arena - THAT credit will accumulate but won't be sent out until after a new CBA is reached.

There's also option for getting refund of money as games are missed or leaving money from missed games on account as credit for future use.

They also say they've stopped processing payment plan installments untila new CBA is reached.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Selanne00008

Sabres 4%:

•OPTION #1 - Leave season ticket payments with the Buffalo Sabres and collect interest.
We will offer Season Ticketholders 4% simple interest per annum on all accounts where full payment has been received. Interest earned will be credited on the season ticketholder SabreBucks card. Interest will be calculated from the point at which a particular game is cancelled until a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is reached. For example, if five regular season games are cancelled by the NHL prior to reaching a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, interest for those five games (for 4 Club Level seats) would be as follows:

Club Level Ticket
$99.00

Number of tickets

Total Ticket Value
$396.00

Total Cancelled Games

Total Ticket Value of Cancelled Games
$1980.00

Annual % Interest
4%

Annual Interest CALCULATION
$79.20

Months per year

Monthly Interest Earned
$6.60

Much better than any savings account can do. Lets go lockout!!! /Sarcasm

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Krishna

Flyers poster Jtown is reporting that the flyers aren't allowing cancellations of season tickets

Last edited by LadyStanley: 09-17-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: qdp
Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:05 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...ing?source=rss

Sharks are not offering interest on ticket payments, but in most cases have only collected 70% of STH costs.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:13 PM
MMonarchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...ing?source=rss

Sharks are not offering interest on ticket payments, but in most cases have only collected 70% of STH costs.
That seems like a lot. Anaheim has only collected 50% from me (4/8 payments).

MMonarchs is offline   Reply With Quote