HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

How Much Will The Lockout Limit Trades?

Old
09-18-2012, 03:27 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

vCash: 500
How Much Will The Lockout Limit Trades?

I guess in a sense, I'm being selfish. I'm a Coyotes fan, and with our entire offseason relying on Doan's decision, we lost more key pieces than we gained. With that said, Maloney was recently quoted saying that now that Doan is here to stay, he will begin to address certain areas of our roster via trade. We still need a center, and maybe another winger as well, and seeing as we could start playing anywhere from 2 weeks from now, or next year, i would really like to know how the lockout affects personnel additions.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:27 AM
exporta

I think its safe to say nothings going to happen until a cba is in place. My understanding is that all NHL operations have shut down.

If you are asking about post lockout, there will likely be a flury of movement if the cap is lowered.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:39 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Nothing will happen until the new CBA is in place.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Tacos
Wheeeee

vCash: 50
Somewhere in between zero trades and 100% no trades

Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:39 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Just because there are no trades allowed, GMs are still likely talking to each other.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Suddenly7

If I was the GM I would still talk about trades but wouldn't do anything until I know what the cap is. Can't risk going over it and losing solid players.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:20 PM
DesertDawg

aren't teams allowed to trade minor leaguers during the lock-out? Or do they just have to agree to lend players out and theoretically stay part of the same NHL organization?

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:26 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Just because there are no trades allowed, GMs are still likely talking to each other.
It's not like they have anything else to do! They can't side with either the players or owners on CBA negotiations (but they can give their opinions). Maybe a trip to Europe (group rates?), take in more junior games, keep tabs on the players...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

It already had his effects during the summer.

Between the draft and the end of August 2011 there were 25 trades.

In the past summer, while the draft was still pretty busy in terms of trades, the summer basically dead silent. Only 6 trades: The Nash trade, Foligno for Methot, Ott for Roy, Wideman's rights and two minor deals (Wellman and Crombeen).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012-13_NHL_transactions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2...L_transactions

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:54 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
I guess in a sense, I'm being selfish. I'm a Coyotes fan, and with our entire offseason relying on Doan's decision, we lost more key pieces than we gained. With that said, Maloney was recently quoted saying that now that Doan is here to stay, he will begin to address certain areas of our roster via trade. We still need a center, and maybe another winger as well, and seeing as we could start playing anywhere from 2 weeks from now, or next year, i would really like to know how the lockout affects personnel additions.
Due to there being be no CBA I do not think any trades ca occur during the lockout of players with NHL contracts. Prospects and ahlers could be traded, but I do not think NHL contracts can be swapped as trades are covered by the CBA and with no CBA in place and all contracts are tied to the agreements covered in said CBA--NHL contracts are frozen till th new cba is in place. This is one reason why there was a mad scramble to sign players on the friday

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 04:49 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Quote:
of course teams will talk trades, that is part of the business and always goes on. Even during the playoffs. However, becuase so much is linked to the CBA and trades are covered by the cba, I do not think teams can trade NHL contracts without a cba in place

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:56 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Due to there being be no CBA I do not think any trades ca occur during the lockout of players with NHL contracts. Prospects and ahlers could be traded, but I do not think NHL contracts can be swapped as trades are covered by the CBA and with no CBA in place and all contracts are tied to the agreements covered in said CBA--NHL contracts are frozen till th new cba is in place. This is one reason why there was a mad scramble to sign players on the friday
Technically there is a CBA. The 2005 CBA is in effect until it is replaced by a new one. The "no strike/lockout" clause has simply been opted out of (as per the method explicitly outlined in said CBA).

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
I agree with this. GM's are probably aware of what the CBA is going to look like, thus they will be able to talk about trades.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote