HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: "Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me"

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Wasn't he third all-star in the OHL? Nothing to sneeze at, but doesn't exactly match Petrovic's achievement in the W, which is known for producing quality dmen.
I think you and I see similarly here. Blacker is a solid prospect and well rounded but not a dominant D-man both physically or mentally as Petrovic. Although stats to some without viewing I might add, would indicate otherwise. No offense Zibby.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:17 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I think you and I see similarly here. Blacker is a solid prospect and well rounded but not a dominant D-man both physically or mentally as Petrovic. Although stats to some without viewing I might add, would indicate otherwise. No offense Zibby.
Exactly. I'd love to have Blacker in the prospect pool, but given the choice, I'd take Petrovic.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Honestly one of the worst jobs at presenting the sources to a claimed trade rumour.
Are you being sarcastic?? He was asked for links....and provided multiple. What more could you want. I'll tell you this, (and i'm not going to spend time searching archives) at the time surrounding the draft, the rumour of Schenn being offered was reported on Sportsnet radio and tv,TSN radio and tv as well as CBC tv.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:56 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ha, so you're worried about the presentation? What about the substance? Question Elliotte Friedman as well?

I knew you would dismiss it. It's far easier to do so without presenting anything of value yourself. The "I can guarantee X" drivel that you've been spouting here has no more weight than a fart in the wind. _That's_ the stuff that should be dismissed outright.

You're not connected. You can't guarantee a thing. So why feel the need to pretend like you can?
I notice, he has yet to reply to this post, or in any kind of reasonable fashion to your previous post where you found the 'sources' that he asked for. Interesting. I'm still waiting to hear why JVR has a higher value than Roberto Luongo...but I'm sure he'll explain that as well later.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
I notice, he has yet to reply to this post, or in any kind of reasonable fashion to your previous post where you found the 'sources' that he asked for. Interesting. I'm still waiting to hear why JVR has a higher value than Roberto Luongo...but I'm sure he'll explain that as well later.
Age and Contract will be his answer.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:05 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Age and Contract will be his answer.
Age and pedigree. It's not like JVR's contract is amazing looking at past performance.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Age and pedigree. It's not like JVR's contract is amazing looking at past performance.
Only speaking in terms of length. That seems to be the sticking point about Lu's deal for some,even though it is circumvented.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:35 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Only speaking in terms of length. That seems to be the sticking point about Lu's deal for some,even though it is circumvented.
Despite the fact that his contract can be buried in the minors, and the playoff revenue Luongo will help generate gives his value to the Leafs a positive NPV even if you assume his contract will need to be buried in 6-9 years from now. It really is a no brainer in my mind.

As a Canuck fan, if someone said that a player like Marian Hossa (almost identical contract) were available, I'd expect to pay a hell of a lot more than Keith Ballard and a 2, or Anton Rodin, Yann Sauve and a 2, so I don't know why people think Luongo's value is similar to that low ball example. It makes no sense.

09-19-2012, 11:41 AM
HockeyTalkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Despite the fact that his contract can be buried in the minors, and the playoff revenue Luongo will help generate gives his value to the Leafs a positive NPV even if you assume his contract will need to be buried in 6-9 years from now. It really is a no brainer in my mind.

As a Canuck fan, if someone said that a player like Marian Hossa (almost identical contract) were available, I'd expect to pay a hell of a lot more than Keith Ballard and a 2, or Anton Rodin, Yann Sauve and a 2, so I don't know why people think Luongo's value is similar to that low ball example. It makes no sense.
I don't care what the value or cost is. The Leafs need this guy.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:43 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Trade away a star and the other team benefits more than you do. That's the way it has gone pretty well ever since trading started.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:47 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Trade away a star and the other team benefits more than you do. That's the way it has gone pretty well ever since trading started.
I agree to an extent. It's very very rare to see deals similar to the Heatley-Hossa deal from years back, but that's not to say that trading a star has to mean that the team giving him up is going to get garbage in return.

For example, the Canucks could trade Luongo to the Leafs for Lupul or Grabovski. The Leafs get the better player, but the Canucks get a player that addresses a key weakness. Or in other words, a trade that both teams can be happy with.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:01 PM
TOML

Kessel (star) for Seguin, Knight and Hamilton.

Trading away a star doesn't neccessarily mean you lost the deal.

But this will not reflect the upcoming Luongo trade unless Gillis uses some sortof sorcery.

TOML

Old
09-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Oates2Neely

Luongo is talented..extremely talented. Cap hit is fair. However considering his age the length of his contract brings his value down. IF Luongo were on a 3yr deal, teams would be lining up to trade for him

Old
09-19-2012, 12:30 PM
81Leafs50

People need to be realistic. Luongo is and that is why he is calm and showing up at all the team events showing himself to be a classy veteran.

The CAP is going to come down by a lot. So they cannot keep both and Luongo knows this.

Luongo will be traded no doubt about it.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:

Don't mistake my post as me not understanding Lu's contract. I was saying that term is the issue for "most". His contract is ideal for a cash rich team like TO, higher salary than cap. And, it's essentially a 5-6 year deal.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Ballgarath

sorry i dont have the quote but LU has already said he will only play 4-5 more years, but no one seems to care what LU says about that, im not sure why when the guy himself says he will only play 4-5 more years everyone figures he will try to play till he is 43.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
I agree to an extent. It's very very rare to see deals similar to the Heatley-Hossa deal from years back, but that's not to say that trading a star has to mean that the team giving him up is going to get garbage in return.

For example, the Canucks could trade Luongo to the Leafs for Lupul or Grabovski. The Leafs get the better player, but the Canucks get a player that addresses a key weakness. Or in other words, a trade that both teams can be happy with.
You really have to let this notion go. The Leafs CANNOT trade a 1st line winger (the only guy who's worked with Kessel) or the best center we have. I've said countless times, the Leafs DO NOT have the depth to do such a deal.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
That both the team and Luongo are saying the right things is to be expected, but I can't imagine either party want to have a situation with both Luongo and Schneider in Vancouver, now that the team has declared that Schneider is their guy.

It's hard to predict trade return since there are so many factors involved.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Ballgarath

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post
People need to be realistic. Luongo is and that is why he is calm and showing up at all the team events showing himself to be a classy veteran.

The CAP is going to come down by a lot. So they cannot keep both and Luongo knows this.

Luongo will be traded no doubt about it.
your right but the players will be doing a roll back as well dont kid yourself , with a roll back the cap being lowered doesnt necessarily put teams over the cap some will be over but it wont be as big a gap as some of you are saying.And with players like Booth they could hang on to LU and move booth for zero salary coming back late pick or something. having LU when the season starts isnt the best situation for Van but it could be worse we could be going into the season with riemer/scrivens. not picking on T.O. just saying.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:00 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgarath View Post
your right but the players will be doing a roll back as well dont kid yourself , with a roll back the cap being lowered doesnt necessarily put teams over the cap some will be over but it wont be as big a gap as some of you are saying.And with players like Booth they could hang on to LU and move booth for zero salary coming back late pick or something. having LU when the season starts isnt the best situation for Van but it could be worse we could be going into the season with riemer/scrivens. not picking on T.O. just saying.
The players are very much opposed to a rollback.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Ballgarath

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The players are very much opposed to a rollback.
that may be true but look at the bigger guys like the nfl with a 50/50 split and profit sharing, the players will be taking a roll back 100% and if anyone thinks other wise they are dreaming.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Puck Propaganda
The Dictator

The only way I see there not being a rollback is if the NHLPA caves on some other issues, such as contract length and UFA eligibility.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ha, so you're worried about the presentation? What about the substance? Question Elliotte Friedman as well?
To me it looks like Friedman was simply quoting the other journos, not confirming any of the rumors.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:30 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
You really have to let this notion go. The Leafs CANNOT trade a 1st line winger (the only guy who's worked with Kessel) or the best center we have. I've said countless times, the Leafs DO NOT have the depth to do such a deal.
I've said countless times the Canucks need forward help in the top 6. The Canucks aren't going to just dump Luongo.

I'll give up asking for Lupul or Grabovski when others give up insisting that Toronto can get Luongo for a song.

Old
09-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
I've said countless times the Canucks need forward help in the top 6. The Canucks aren't going to just dump Luongo.

I'll give up asking for Lupul or Grabovski when others give up insisting that Toronto can get Luongo for a song.
I've offered Kadri (our best NHL ready prospect),Macarthur (solid scoring winger) and a 2nd. Hardly a song. Buti'm sure someone will pay the high price.

Closed Thread