HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Would it be in the best interest of the Devils for the NHL to not play in 12-13?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
  #26
Just Win
Free Larsson
 
Just Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 10,774
vCash: 50


How is potentially losing all those players something good?
How the **** is Brodeur losing another year something good?
Our goalie prospects don't gain or lose anything because of the lookout. Won't make a difference to them. They will be in the AHL one way or another. Same with the other prospects.

And honestly i don't give a damn about Bettman. It doesn't matter who is the puppet of the owners.

Silly thread is silly.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 04:20 PM
  #27
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,368
vCash: 500
Baad

I added the extra a to fit the minimum.

I added the sentence above to explain my spelling error.

njdevsfn95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:37 PM
  #28
Team Concept
Registered User
 
Team Concept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Wingdale, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 877
vCash: 500
Just a response to some earlier posts:

1. A CON was missing Lou and his moves for a year not a PRO.
2. Part of being a Devils fan is watching the Rangers lose. Given the fact that we lost one of our best players in Parise and the Rangers improved their team on paper. I think the Rangers would have more to lose than the Devils if we missed a full NHL season which would be a PRO.
3. As much as I love Marty and all that he has meant to this franchise I would be shocked if he put up better numbers this year than last year. I would rather miss an entire season than watch a washed up Marty.

I would also welcome missing the season if we have what is in store for us according to the hockey bible:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ions-No-1.html

Team Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:50 PM
  #29
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
If you think Marty will look washed up this year if there's a season what do you think he'll look like in 12/13 after not playing in the league for over a year?

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:54 PM
  #30
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Concept View Post
I would also welcome missing the season if we have what is in store for us according to the hockey bible:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ions-No-1.html
They had the Devils pegged at 11th in the conference last season, too.... and look how well that turned out for us

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
  #31
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
They had the Devils pegged at 11th in the conference last season, too.... and look how well that turned out for us
Haha LOL yup. I saw many predict us to be 14th last year too. Also LOL at the Caps in 3rd. I actually think Carolina will finish ahead of them. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Adam Oates going over well as a head coach. Might be Maclean part 2, but not THAT bad.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:05 PM
  #32
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw
 
JerseyGuy276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Flood Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 8,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Concept View Post
Just a response to some earlier posts:

1. A CON was missing Lou and his moves for a year not a PRO.
2. Part of being a Devils fan is watching the Rangers lose. Given the fact that we lost one of our best players in Parise and the Rangers improved their team on paper. I think the Rangers would have more to lose than the Devils if we missed a full NHL season which would be a PRO.
3. As much as I love Marty and all that he has meant to this franchise I would be shocked if he put up better numbers this year than last year. I would rather miss an entire season than watch a washed up Marty.

I would also welcome missing the season if we have what is in store for us according to the hockey bible:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ions-No-1.html
just stop. Just stop right now...

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:45 PM
  #33
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Definitely bad for the Devils to lose the year.

Their key players are only getting a year old. While its nice for the prospects (Wedgewood, Merrill, Gelinas, etc) to get another year to develop, that's a lost year down the stretch for a number of key players that have a limited shelf life (Brodeur, Elias, Salvador, etc).

Who knows how financially stable the team/ownership/the debt situation will be a year from now. We don't know what it will be a month from now. But regardless, having a number of key components as free agents upon return is not a welcome thing. It's not really saving money as you would want to re-sign at least some of them, or replace them elsewhere. Its going to cost money regardless, but there's no guarantee how easy it will be to spend the money. I wouldn't look at it as a positive by any means to have a handful of core guys being free agents.

While its nice that the Rangers "window" may close quicker, that's not the concern for the team. The Rangers window is what it is, but it could grow or shrink purely based on how they change their personnel over the next 12-18 months anyway. That has nothing to do with the Devils. And the Devils ability to beat the Rangers in the coming years will depend more on the team they are able to put on the ice than how long the Rangers can keep their current one in tact. The Devils may have a hypothetical window that is the same length, if not shorter, considering the age of players like Elias and Brodeur.

Again don't see how 5 is a positive. Sure age may be catching up on them (we wouldn't know until/unless we see them play this year), but losing a year is only going to make it worse. We saw they can still play this past spring. Why would we want to lose what remaining time we have left with them when we don't have a viable replacement to step in for the short term?

We don't know if 2012-2013 will show the same success last year had, but having the extra year off is only going to diminish the chance of repeating it in 2013-14 as well. Our prospects will have another year to develop... so will everyone else's. There's no advantage gained there.

And sure, the overwhelming majority of us here may come back. Doesn't mean that will hold true for everyone, of any given team. A lost season does more damage than good in terms of fan loyalty. It worked out once. Doesn't mean it will again. And the longer this drags on, the more sour the taste people will be left with. Let this go too long and it may burn some bridges.
Not sure I said this yet but this is a good post. Agree entirely. I can see someone saying a DELAYED season might help us, but a whole season? That will make it worse. If you think Marty will look bad next year you think he'll look even as good sitting out a year at age 40? Moose too, and other vets like Patty, and Sal.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:03 PM
  #34
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Not sure I said this yet but this is a good post. Agree entirely. I can see someone saying a DELAYED season might help us, but a whole season? That will make it worse. If you think Marty will look bad next year you think he'll look even as good sitting out a year at age 40? Moose too, and other vets like Patty, and Sal.
Exactly. It is debatable when Brodeur will "fall off," assuming he does have a noticeable enough fall of before he does actually retire. But its an issue of time. Not an issue of how fresh he is. He will NOT be better in 2013 because all of 2012 was cancelled. If he's on par or better in 13-14 than 12-13 (with games being played) its a stunning development in and of itself, or just a display of agelessness. Given that the Devils had a shortened off-season because of the deep playoff run, there is no benefit to a delayed season that runs any longer than say early or mid November. The extra few weeks or a month may help a bit. Any more than that though is of no benefit to anyone.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
  #35
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Exactly. It is debatable when Brodeur will "fall off," assuming he does have a noticeable enough fall of before he does actually retire. But its an issue of time. Not an issue of how fresh he is. He will NOT be better in 2013 because all of 2012 was cancelled. If he's on par or better in 13-14 than 12-13 (with games being played) its a stunning development in and of itself, or just a display of agelessness. Given that the Devils had a shortened off-season because of the deep playoff run, there is no benefit to a delayed season that runs any longer than say early or mid November. The extra few weeks or a month may help a bit. Any more than that though is of no benefit to anyone.
Yup, and this is why I say I can see someone saying a delayed season might help us. Maybe November cause our guys are a little more beat up from the long run. Of course if I had my choice I'd want training camps to open this Friday like they were supposed.

Some people watching hockey isn't as important as others, but I don't see how you can be a fan at all if you're content with the season being cancelled.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
  #36
Devils86
Registered User
 
Devils86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
"1 less year of having Lou make his moves. How much does he have in the tank?"



scram.
He said this as a CON....That Lou is getting on in age and losing a year of him would be a bad thing. Programmed much

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:41 PM
  #37
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Concept View Post
I would also welcome missing the season if we have what is in store for us according to the hockey bible:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ions-No-1.html
This has to be sarcasm. THN has consistently demonstrated an anti-Devils bias for years. The only thing that rag is good for these days is use as high grade fertiliser for Brent Sutter's farm.

Addressing the astonishingly bizarre OP: no, there are absolutely no positive things about a lockout for the Devils, or the league as a whole. Several of your listed pros are cons, others are irrelevant, and still others make no sense.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:48 PM
  #38
Devils86
Registered User
 
Devils86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
This has to be sarcasm. THN has consistently demonstrated an anti-Devils bias for years. The only thing that rag is good for these days is use as high grade fertiliser for Brent Sutter's farm.

Addressing the astonishingly bizarre OP: no, there are absolutely no positive things about a lockout for the Devils, or the league as a whole. Several of your listed pros are cons, others are irrelevant, and still others make no sense.
We are not close to as good beginning this season as we were ending the last . The Kings proved all ya need to do is get in and things can happen. Think we will be in the middle 3rd in the Reg season fighting for those last 3 spots.

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
  #39
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
We are not close to as good beginning this season as we were ending the last . The Kings proved all ya need to do is get in and things can happen. Think we will be in the middle 3rd in the Reg season fighting for those last 3 spots.
That's not what I'm objecting to. I'm well aware that we are not likely to be as good as we were last season. I'm saying that relying upon the Hockey News's prediction for how our season will go is a nonsensical concept, because their analysis is demonstrably flawed and unreliable.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:15 PM
  #40
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
LOL at Tampa Bay in 6th on there. An unproven backup that hasn't even started 40 games, and a big defensive upgrade in Matt ''Turnover machine'' Carle.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:18 PM
  #41
Ilkka Pikachu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
LOL at Tampa Bay in 6th on there. An unproven backup that hasn't even started 40 games, and a big defensive upgrade in Matt ''Turnover machine'' Carle.
I read "and a big defensive upgrade in Matt T..." and I spit out my drink.

When I read it again, I laughed even harder because I remembered the retarded contract that came with Carle.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:20 PM
  #42
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
We are not close to as good beginning this season as we were ending the last . The Kings proved all ya need to do is get in and things can happen. Think we will be in the middle 3rd in the Reg season fighting for those last 3 spots.
The difference between a roster at the beginning of a season and the end of the season is usually pretty notable.


Just look at opening night of the regular season's lineup vs. opening night of the playoffs lineup.

I won't judge how well this season will go until I see how well and how quickly Lou & Pete adjust to any shortcomings.


Last edited by manilaNJ: 09-18-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: messed up a lot of posts.
manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:20 PM
  #43
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
I read "and a big defensive upgrade in Matt T..." and I spit out my drink.

When I read it again, I laughed even harder because I remembered the retarded contract that came with Carle.
Oh yeah they signed him too that's right!

Wow though seriously Yzerman's brains have went to Mars, and the spaceship broke down. Carle is ****in crap, and that contract sucks. Seriously Carle ain't even that good. What a joke. He was pretty brutal in our series against Philadelphia too. He's pretty brutal period. I wasn't joking with the title turnover machine.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:24 PM
  #44
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
LOL at Tampa Bay in 6th on there. An unproven backup that hasn't even started 40 games, and a big defensive upgrade in Matt ''Turnover machine'' Carle.
I'm not saying that they're going to be a juggernaut.. but they were 9th in the league for goals for last season, but dead last in goals against.

All they needed to do was plug in a few of those holes to become a playoff contender.
There are still no world beaters on the defensive side of the puck, but it's a definite upgrade from what they were putting on the ice last season.

If their offense can maintain, I believe they're a playoff team. 6th might be aiming a little high.. but I wouldn't be shocked if they were seeded 7th.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:25 PM
  #45
Ilkka Pikachu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Oh yeah they signed him too that's right!

Wow though seriously Yzerman's brains have went to Mars, and the spaceship broke down. Carle is ****in crap, and that contract sucks.
It's a shame they took Tao, though. I liked him.

Gotta remember to post this on their GDT the first game they play against Washington.


Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:27 PM
  #46
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I'm not saying that they're going to be a juggernaut.. but they were 9th in the league for goals for last season, but dead last in goals against.

All they needed to do was plug in a few of those holes to become a playoff contender.
There are still no world beaters on the defensive side of the puck, but it's a definite upgrade from what they were putting on the ice last season.

If their offense can maintain, I believe they're a playoff team. 6th might be aiming a little high.. but I wouldn't be shocked if they were seeded 7th.
I think they'll miss. Unfortunately our friends from Raleigh I'm more scared of next year out of any of the non playoff teams. I can really see Washington missing too. TB was brutal in their own end, and got forechecked into oblivion many games. This isn't what I've heard either. I watched quite a bit of their games since they're my local team, and my buddies insist to come over, and watch them.

If Adam Oates head coaching is anything like his PP coaching with the Devils then that team could very well end up choking.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:33 PM
  #47
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,284
vCash: 500
Not off topic since this relates to the Devils, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa Bay owns us this season. With Lindback in net he's a monster, and we had a REALLY hard time scoring on big goaltenders with big equipment last year other than cookie monster Gustavsson. Remember the Isles games with that humongous padwall?

I also hope Florida don't get Luongo. Toronto either hopefully. I don't want him in the Conference, but unfortunately he probably will be. We're historically bad against him, and it comes back to the big equipment thing. I think we can find a way to beat him in the playoffs like Lundqvist, but regular season eh.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:36 PM
  #48
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I'm still not particularly scared of the former Whalers. Their defence is still not up to par.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:36 PM
  #49
Mgd31
Registered User
 
Mgd31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 8,952
vCash: 500
You go back back and forth with any amount of hypothetical pros and cons, but a year of no hockey is a year none of us want to live.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:37 PM
  #50
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 18,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm still not particularly scared of the former Whalers. Their defence is still not up to par.
They don't scare me either but they'd find a way against us in a 7 game series

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.