HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 UFA D-Makeover?

Old
09-18-2012, 08:36 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
A lot of talk about how in 2013 we can remake our forward corps, a lot of players coming off the books with Getzlaf, Perry, Iginla, Horton, Weiss, Clowe etc...

But another area our team could use serious important, Defence, could be addressed during this lock out as well.

Edler, Timonen, Visnevsky, Gonchar, Hainsey, Streit, Regehr, Whitney, Zidlicky, Hamrli, Scuderi, , Lydman, Leopold, White, Poti, Babchuk, Murray, Ference, Smid, Corvo, Rozsival, Sutton, Fistric, Hannan, Lilja, Zuler, Woywitka, O'Bryne etc

A lot of top 4 D-men available. It could be timely to added a key defensive piece.

I see it going one of two ways. A) We bring in someone to be a temporary #1 D, who can bump all our other D into more comfortable roles. B) We add some stop gap depth while Rielly, Finn, Blacker, Percy develope.

Edler I think would be a great add. He's 26, would fit right in age wise with our club. Would be a huge upgrade over Gunnarsson on the 1st pair, and would allow Gunnar to play an easier role with Gardiner.

Edler - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Liles/Blacker - Holzer
Komisarek, Liles/Blacker
Honestly... our D could probably use a makeover in 2013, but they could use a small one right now (move Franson out, bring in a legit top 4 shutdown guy now). That list of names isn't exactly something to drool over either.

Realistically... if you peg Phanuef, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Rielly, Holzer and Blacker as the youth you want to build around, that leaves one top 4 spot (for a shutdown guy) open next year, and what should be a fair amount of cap space available considering you could be looking at 3 ELCs in your top 7. However, that position is the same as what you need filled this year.

Furthermore, who on that list is actually gonna fill it?

Edler? Yeah he's good, but unlikely to leave Vancouver. Timonen is gonna be 38 years old. Regehr's 33, who else on that list can honestly call themselves top 4 shutdown guys?

Most of those guys fall more into the puckmoving variety, but when you consider that this team has Gardiner, Franson, Rielly, Liles (who's never really disappointed with his play in a leaf uniform), Blacker, and Percy, plus guys like Gunnarsson/Phaneuf at the top of your lineup, there really is no need for a puckmover. What they need, is a shutdown guy who they can reasonably rely on to be a top 4 defenceman in addition to Korbinian Holzer. No offense to him, but relying on him to do anything of significance in the NHL is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last edited by seanlinden: 09-18-2012 at 08:42 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post
You have two centers on that line, but you put a winger thats horrible on draws in between them? Weird.
Kadri or Grabo can take the draw for all I care.

Almost sounds too obvious to say, but PP lines show players positions on the ice during the PP.

JVR is in the center of the ice, he's screening. Kadri and Grabo are shooting from either wing.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Edler and Streit. Thats it. Maybe Regehr at a discount
That's what I was thinking.

However; there are many kids, that are close to making the cut.
None are shutdown though.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:51 PM
wreckingcru

In my humble opinion, I think Edler will cost too much. I think Burke could reasonably sign Getzlaf to a good price, that's if he is willing to leave Anaheim. Burke (and Carlyle) hopefully can convince him to come our way, (especially if we make the playoffs this year and are heading in a better direction). Maybe we can become the new Wild, sign both Getzlaf and Perry as teammates to contacts, however that's highly unlikely as Burke would need to give you massive contracts. I wouldn't mind locking up Getzlaf or Perry for 6 or 7 years though. Though a concern would be raised in getting both Getzlaf and Perry. Remember how Lupul was not too happy with how he was under-played in Anaheim? Well that issue could present itself again, but I guess that's an issue you want. (Lupul is also a UFA at end of season.) We do have the money to get Getzlaf or Perry, maybe even both. Lombardi and Connolly both come off the books. Macarthur is also a UFA, and a probable player to be traded depending how his season goes and how his value goes. Though if we do sign Getlzaf and Perry, I would be thinking something like

Grabovski Getzlaf Perry
Lupul Bozak Kessel
Kulimen McClement Kadri
Frattin Steckel Brown

Looks pretty good, but I doubt we get both, gives us something to dream about eh?

For defence:
I wouldn't bother signing Edler, Timmonen (age not a great factor in young team), or any potential overpriced D. Scuderi will definitely be resigned after their Cup win. Zidlicky probably not with Parise now gone and an aging Brodeur, Streit maybe won't resign with Islanders still in the Dumps. I would look to sign a cheap D, an underrated one at that. Corvo, Ference, Leopold, Zidlicky, Regehr are all D men I would be interested in sign. Though watch us sign Hainsey and some 3rd line centre. I would cry.

Though if I could dream in a somewhat realistic dream:

Phaneuf Zidlicky
Komisarek Liles
Gardiner Gunnarsson
Regehr or Corvo or Ference

oh yeah, and assuming Reimer isn't giving us the goaltending needed especially with our new defence-first system, trade Franson + Blacker or Colborne + Macarthur for a #1 goalie (VAN would probably go for that?) or like Franson + prospect for Theodore? FLA needs to clear room for Markstrom. Or lol even if Reimer is playing well, we need a back-up for a year, we can't go with just him and Scrivens, what if an injury occurs? No, Burke needs to acquire a veteran net minder before we play this season. Or else if one of those young guys get injured, Burke will overpay hard for one. I would go for Theodore personally, as he would help Reimer the most. Theodore can start, but also can be an ample back-up. Which would help Reimer and the Leafs as a team. Though, FLA might be looking to do the same, with Markstrom starting probably in a couple years, and having Theodore to back-up.

Grabovski Getzlaf Perry
Lupul Bozak Kessel
Kulimen McClement Kadri
Frattin Steckel Brown

Phaneuf Zidlicky
Komisarek Liles
Gardiner Gunnarsson
Regehr

Reimer
Theodore

IF everything goes our way. Though when ever is that the case?

Last edited by wreckingcru: 09-18-2012 at 09:59 PM.
wreckingcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingcru View Post
In my humble opinion, I think Edler will cost too much. I think Burke could reasonably sign Getzlaf to a good price, that's if he is willing to leave Anaheim. Burke (and Carlyle) hopefully can convince him to come our way, (especially if we make the playoffs this year and are heading in a better direction). Maybe we can become the new Wild, sign both Getzlaf and Perry as teammates to contacts, however that's highly unlikely as Burke would need to give you massive contracts. I wouldn't mind locking up Getzlaf or Perry for 6 or 7 years though. Though a concern would be raised in getting both Getzlaf and Perry. Remember how Lupul was not too happy with how he was under-played in Anaheim? Well that issue could present itself again, but I guess that's an issue you want. (Lupul is also a UFA at end of season.) We do have the money to get Getzlaf or Perry, maybe even both. Lombardi and Connolly both come off the books. Macarthur is also a UFA, and a probable player to be traded depending how his season goes and how his value goes. Though if we do sign Getlzaf and Perry, I would be thinking something like

Grabovski Getzlaf Perry
Lupul Bozak Kessel
Kulimen McClement Kadri
Frattin Steckel Brown

Looks pretty good, but I doubt we get both, gives us something to dream about eh?

For defence:
I wouldn't bother signing Edler, Timmonen (age not a great factor in young team), or any potential overpriced D. Scuderi will definitely be resigned after their Cup win. Zidlicky probably not with Parise now gone and an aging Brodeur, Streit maybe won't resign with Islanders still in the Dumps. I would look to sign a cheap D, an underrated one at that. Corvo, Ference, Leopold, Zidlicky, Regehr are all D men I would be interested in sign. Though watch us sign Hainsey and some 3rd line centre. I would cry.

Though if I could dream in a somewhat realistic dream:

Phaneuf Zidlicky
Komisarek Liles
Gardiner Gunnarsson
Regehr or Corvo or Ference

oh yeah, and assuming Reimer isn't giving us the goaltending needed especially with our new defence-first system, trade Franson + Blacker or Colborne + Macarthur for a #1 goalie (VAN would probably go for that?) or like Franson + prospect for Theodore? FLA needs to clear room for Markstrom. Or lol even if Reimer is playing well, we need a back-up for a year, we can't go with just him and Scrivens, what if an injury occurs? No, Burke needs to acquire a veteran net minder before we play this season. Or else if one of those young guys get injured, Burke will overpay hard for one. I would go for Theodore personally, as he would help Reimer the most. Theodore can start, but also can be an ample back-up. Which would help Reimer and the Leafs as a team. Though, FLA might be looking to do the same, with Markstrom starting probably in a couple years, and having Theodore to back-up.

Grabovski Getzlaf Perry
Lupul Bozak Kessel
Kulimen McClement Kadri
Frattin Steckel Brown

Phaneuf Zidlicky
Komisarek Liles
Gardiner Gunnarsson
Regehr

Reimer
Theodore

IF everything goes our way. Though when ever is that the case?
I've never seen a Leafs fans dream involve Komisarek in our top 4.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:09 PM
wreckingcru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I've never seen a Leafs fans dream involve Komisarek in our top 4.
haha thanks for reading, but yeah, honesty I think he will take back to his old form with Carlyle's style. Hitting everything in sight, making the smart plays, winning battles in front of the net. Simple things, not trying to get too creative. Think of a Coyotes team. Though my only concern is we don't have too many defensive players like Coyote, so how are we supposed to be defensive? I guess we'll watch (hopefully soon) and find out.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:34 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

I would love to get Ian White back.

bansheebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:05 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Burke has drafted lots of d-men.

No reason to overpay for something that is already inhouse.

Additionally, with 10 years to UFA status we'll have to wait and see who actually is UFA.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

Quote:
Both Kessel and Perry are RW, who don't play LW. But in dream world if we got all three

Lupul - Getzlaf - Kessel
van Riemsdyk - Grabovski - Perry
Kulemin - Defencive #3C - Kadri
Steckle - McClement - Brown/Komarov
*Steckle comes in for Faceoff's

Edler - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Liles - Holzer/Komisarek

Reimer
Scrivens

PP #1

Kessel - Getzlaf - Perry
Edler - Phaneuf

PP #2

Kadri - van Riemsdyk - Grabovski
Liles - Gardiner

PK #1

McClement - Kulemin
Gunnarsson - Holzer/Komisarek

PK #2

Steckle - Brown/Komarov
Edler - Phaneuf

That's a legit playoff team.
sfdbxszbhkjs dgfveh

Sorry, I was just cleaning my keyboard

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 04:11 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Perry - Getzlaf - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Lupul
Kulemin - Kadri - Biggs
Brown - McClement - Ross

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
Percy - Finn

Reimer
Scrivens
Sparks

SnipeCheeseAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:57 PM
wreckingcru

Quick question: if you could have any 2 future free agents for your team (preferably leafs), who would you take?

Old
09-20-2012, 11:46 PM
AvroArrow

Realistically, about half of those D guys are probably gonna re-sign with their current teams. Most likely Edler, because of Vancouver's stanley cup run 2 years ago. Would love to sign Getzlaf/Perry, but i just dont see Anaheim letting their star players walk for nothing. Either re-sign them, trade at deadline or on draft day.

AvroArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:49 AM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
Realistically, about half of those D guys are probably gonna re-sign with their current teams. Most likely Edler, because of Vancouver's stanley cup run 2 years ago. Would love to sign Getzlaf/Perry, but i just dont see Anaheim letting their star players walk for nothing. Either re-sign them, trade at deadline or on draft day.
That's why we send a couple picks and players their way at the deadline if ts clear they won't resign and their out of the playoffs. I'm pretty sure the latter will happen, the former, not as confident. But one could affect the other.

They seems pretty content in sunny SoCal, they have their cups, their wives, their lives. One thing we may be able to bank on is their pride. They are both from southern Ontario, grew up leaf fans if I recall correctly. They may feel a sense of honor and pride to pull on the maple leads. Bucket loads of money as well.

I don't even know if hockey players think with their hearts like this, or if it's just all business. This could be wishful thinking on my part.

WRT defensemen, I don't see u picking up any of these guys. Our additions will come through trades. We have to many players and too few spots as is, not to mention the promising young defenders in the system. And that's always been Burkes M.O anyways.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:35 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
That's why we send a couple picks and players their way at the deadline if ts clear they won't resign and their out of the playoffs. I'm pretty sure the latter will happen, the former, not as confident. But one could affect the other.

They seems pretty content in sunny SoCal, they have their cups, their wives, their lives. One thing we may be able to bank on is their pride. They are both from southern Ontario, grew up leaf fans if I recall correctly. They may feel a sense of honor and pride to pull on the maple leads. Bucket loads of money as well.

I don't even know if hockey players think with their hearts like this, or if it's just all business. This could be wishful thinking on my part.

WRT defensemen, I don't see u picking up any of these guys. Our additions will come through trades. We have to many players and too few spots as is, not to mention the promising young defenders in the system. And that's always been Burkes M.O anyways.
Getzlaf is from Regina SASK

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:12 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

regehr please followed by backstrom

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Morlesio14*

If we had the chance to get both Getzlaf and Perry we could conisider letting go of lupul gives us a little bit more cap to work with.

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Let's say by some miracle, this all works out. Rule should be 1 per position though.

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($1.720m) / Corey Perry ($8.000m)
Joffrey Lupul ($4.250m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Matt Frattin ($0.925m) / Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Mike Brown ($0.737m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Jerry D'Amigo ($1.083m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($1.325m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Robyn Regehr ($3.500m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Korbinian Holzer ($0.575m)
Mike Komisarek ($4.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Niklas Backstrom ($6.000m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
BUYOUTS
Darcy Tucker ($1.000m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,855,833; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,619,167

Signings: Perry, 80M, 10 years, | Regehr, 7M, 2 years, | Backstrom, 12M, 2 years.

Last edited by Leafs For Life*: 09-23-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Frelimo

Quote:
A lot of talk about how in 2013 we can remake our forward corps, a lot of players coming off the books with Getzlaf, Perry, Iginla, Horton, Weiss, Clowe etc...

But another area our team could use serious important, Defence, could be addressed during this lock out as well.

Edler, Timonen, Visnevsky, Gonchar, Hainsey, Streit, Regehr, Whitney, Zidlicky, Hamrli, Scuderi, , Lydman, Leopold, White, Poti, Babchuk, Murray, Ference, Smid, Corvo, Rozsival, Sutton, Fistric, Hannan, Lilja, Zuler, Woywitka, O'Bryne etc

A lot of top 4 D-men available. It could be timely to added a key defensive piece.

I see it going one of two ways. A) We bring in someone to be a temporary #1 D, who can bump all our other D into more comfortable roles. B) We add some stop gap depth while Rielly, Finn, Blacker, Percy develope.

Edler I think would be a great add. He's 26, would fit right in age wise with our club. Would be a huge upgrade over Gunnarsson on the 1st pair, and would allow Gunnar to play an easier role with Gardiner.

Edler - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Liles/Blacker - Holzer
Komisarek, Liles/Blacker
Poti hasn't played in over 1.5 years and I think he's in all likelihood done. Many of the others listed are getting pretty old and/or are primarily offensive. I would have no interest in offensive D if I were the Leaf's GM - have plenty of that already. I would be interested in the other guys I highlighted, but if I recall correctly Hannan was a free-agent this summer and the Leafs made no move (could be wrong on that).

Frelimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Dutch Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
I'd just be happy with some wingers who could finish the job when the puck comes up the boards or block a puck or two or maybe even stick around for an outlet pass. The defense we have should be fine if they get the proper support from our soft forward group
This, but we should be looking to add a big-minute guy, one who can anchor a pairing for our more offensive guys, which we don't lack, as others have been saying in this thread.

Take a guy like Scuderi, for example. He'd be perfect. The difference between our defense and L.A.'s cup winning one was that they had two solid veterans to back up their young guys.

Doughty and Voynov had Mitchell and Scuderi, whereas Gardiner and perhaps Rielly will have Phaneuf, who is still rounding out his game, and then Gunnarsson, who is still solidifying himself as a top minute guy in this league.

I think Gardiner will be paired with Phaneuf ultimately. I've liked them when they're paired together. Gardiner is a more natural puck-rusher, and Phaneuf can play it cool and roam behind for the big shot.

Rielly could play with Scuderi, and then Gunnarsson and Holzer could make up the bottom-pairing.

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly - Scuderi
Gunnarsson-Holzer

Franson is perhaps traded and Komisarek will be even more easily dumped next season, with only a single year left on his contract.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:48 AM
fourofakindfowl

Timonen

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote