HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bryan Trottier's Contribution To Pittsburgh Cups

Old
09-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
Bryan Trottier's Contribution To Pittsburgh Cups

It probably goes without saying that Trottier made a large contribution in the locker room and on the bench. I am more interested in what kind of contribution he made on the ice? What kind of ice time did he get? What role was he used in? Were there any times where he really came up big for his team? And anything else you want to add that might be relevant.

Also, just noticed that he did not play in the 1993 playoffs when the Pens got upset by the Islanders. I've never heard the argument that his presence would have made a difference...It seems like a reasonable theory...Feel free to comment on that as well.

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 09-18-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:03 PM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

It wasn't just the 1993 playoffs he missed -- he missed the whole season, since he retired after the 1992 Cup. He came back for 1993-94 as a player/assistant coach, didn't play well, and retired for good.

JSmith81x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Big Phil

From an on ice perspective there were several other Pens who did more for those two Cups. It is understandable since Trottier was not the same version he was during the Isles dynasty. If people think 5 straight trips to the final as a central piece (possibly the most important piece) doesn't wear your body down physically then they are wrong.

I think Trottier was there more for guidance and direction. I know the 1987 Canada Cup is often credited as a time where Mario grew up a lot but you don't hear as much talk about the impact a vet like Trottier had on Mario.

Personally while I know this was all Mario's team by 1993 I have often wondered how Trottier would have been behind closed doors to that Pens team. Granted Trottier and the Isles nearly lost in 1982 to a far inferior Pens team but the fact is they still gutted it out and won. Not sure if Trottier changes anyone's work ethic though since Bowman was the coach and Mario coming back from cancer had to give any Pen that extra motivation. However, we'll never know.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:04 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
From an on ice perspective there were several other Pens who did more for those two Cups. It is understandable since Trottier was not the same version he was during the Isles dynasty. If people think 5 straight trips to the final as a central piece (possibly the most important piece) doesn't wear your body down physically then they are wrong.

I think Trottier was there more for guidance and direction. I know the 1987 Canada Cup is often credited as a time where Mario grew up a lot but you don't hear as much talk about the impact a vet like Trottier had on Mario.

Personally while I know this was all Mario's team by 1993 I have often wondered how Trottier would have been behind closed doors to that Pens team. Granted Trottier and the Isles nearly lost in 1982 to a far inferior Pens team but the fact is they still gutted it out and won. Not sure if Trottier changes anyone's work ethic though since Bowman was the coach and Mario coming back from cancer had to give any Pen that extra motivation. However, we'll never know.
that's an interesting thought. if anyone knows that it's a privilege not a right to keep winning cups, it's bryan trottier. and i'd bet if he'd said something he would have had the ear of every guy in that pittsburgh dressing room too.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote