HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The hidden blessing of the lockout

Old
09-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Dr Good Vibes

vCash: 500
The hidden blessing of the lockout

It really sucks that there's a lockout and i think everyone on this board shares that sentiment but i have a glimmer of optimism for you.

Our prospects, zack kassian in particular will greatly benefit from spending more time in a stacked ahl.

zack has spent half a season total in the ahl and i think refining the offensive side of his game down there will result in faster development then if he spent the year in the nhl. He'll be a go to guy and get tons of ice time.

When the lockout eventually ends he'll be primed to break out.

Dr Good Vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Also there's fewer games Kesler will miss.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:00 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
I just want the Sedins fully rested.

Usually when we bowed out in the 2nd round they would spend the off season training and coming up with new tactics (transition plays or different spacing when cycling).

After our BOS series they barely had time to recuperate and had to coast into the playoffs. I liked it better when they were firing on all cylinders, like the year Hank won the Art Ross.

kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I think the lockout allows our entire team to get rested an heal from injuries. In addition, it allows is to keep Kassian, Schroeder and Tanev in the minors even if just to start the season to gain more polish.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Bean in Charge

That's only a blessing for us if you look at it in a bubble. The true story is that every other NHL team has their top prospects playing in lower leagues as well.

The reality is, a prolonged lockout hurts the Canucks because we're in a window of contender status. Hopefully we can continue growing into a organization like Detroit/NJ (where you perpetually challenge the notion of being a contender)...but obviously that's not an easy thing to do. If this extends towards a full year, a lot of our Core loses a year in their prime.

Bean in Charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Cocoa Crisp

I agree with the Kassian bit. He's being plugged into the lineup out of circumstance, not because he wouldn't benefit from more AHL seasoning. It's a silver lining, I guess...

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
As much as I want to believe your theory, I can't. The AHL isn't stacked throughout the league, only for certain teams, and the Wolves aren't one of them. Sure, a lot of players around his age will be coming down to play in the AHL, but I feel he'd benefit most at the NHL level, where you're playing the best hockey in the world. Whereas in the AHL next year, you're only getting parts of that. But I am glad he'll be getting more minutes this year.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
canuck4life16

Canucks are not screw over with this lockout! teams like calgary are screwed Iginla and Kippersoft will be older and begin to suck! and calgary has no prospect to replace them. We do have prospect that is promising and Daniel and Henrik is at least 3 years younger than iginla and Kipper and that a huge difference

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Canucker

We also likely won't have to see October Luongo.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
Canucks are not screw over with this lockout! teams like calgary are screwed Iginla and Kippersoft will be older and begin to suck! and calgary has no prospect to replace them. We do have prospect that is promising and Daniel and Henrik is at least 3 years younger than iginla and Kipper and that a huge difference
I disagree. We have a competitive team that will be one year older, giving them one year less to win us a cup. Calgary has a POS team and will benefit picking in the top half of the draft again rather than watching their bubble team either just miss the playoffs or make the playoffs to get butt screwed.

MajorCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
As much as I want to believe your theory, I can't. The AHL isn't stacked throughout the league, only for certain teams, and the Wolves aren't one of them. Sure, a lot of players around his age will be coming down to play in the AHL, but I feel he'd benefit most at the NHL level, where you're playing the best hockey in the world. Whereas in the AHL next year, you're only getting parts of that. But I am glad he'll be getting more minutes this year.
I'd personally prefer he gets as much top 6 ice time that he can down there because he isn't very likely to get it playing in the NHL. Sure he isn't playing in the best league with the best players but he does get to play in a League where he will get time & was putting up ppg numbers last season.

Classic big fish in a little pond or little fish in the big pond?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
It'll just advance to whenever the season starts, so then it will be December Luongo.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Basso

I think only the LA Kings players are blessed by this lockout.

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Canucks army recently did an article about which prospects this benefits:

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/9/17/3-c...an-nhl-lockout

It's a good read, I totally agree that the AHL is a great opportunity for Kassian to get 1st line time and develop his finesse and technique.

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I forget, how does the draft work if the players are locked out for the entire year?

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I forget, how does the draft work if the players are locked out for the entire year?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft

Quote:
As a lockout cancelled the games of the 200405 NHL season, the draft order was determined by lottery on July 22, 2005. Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years. According to the draft order, the selection worked its way up to 30 as usual; then instead of repeating the order as in past years, the draft "snaked" back down to the team with the first pick. Therefore the team with the first pick overall would not pick again until the 60th pick. The team with the 30th pick would also get the 31st pick.
Quote:
Three balls

Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins

Two balls

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Atlanta Thrashers, Calgary Flames, Carolina Hurricanes, Chicago Blackhawks, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, Phoenix Coyotes

One ball

Boston Bruins, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks, St. Louis Blues, Tampa Bay Lightning, Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks, Washington Capitals
So I'm assuming;
no playoffs or 1st overall picks in last three years = 3 balls.
1 playoff appearance or 1st overall pick in last three years = 2 balls.
2+ playoff appearances and/or 1st overall picks in last three years = 1 ball.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Interesting. We'd probably have a higher draft pick then if we were locked out for an entire season. It's interesting because it's such a deep draft, could go a long way to restocking our prospect pool. Anyways, it's not something to hope for, but interesting nonetheless.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:56 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
^ The 10th overall would be a nice surprise, just like last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean in Charge View Post
That's only a blessing for us if you look at it in a bubble. The true story is that every other NHL team has their top prospects playing in lower leagues as well.

The reality is, a prolonged lockout hurts the Canucks because we're in a window of contender status. Hopefully we can continue growing into a organization like Detroit/NJ (where you perpetually challenge the notion of being a contender)...but obviously that's not an easy thing to do. If this extends towards a full year, a lot of our Core loses a year in their prime.
I somewhat feel this way too, but all the same I'm glad that Kassian and Tanev are getting more time in the AHL, if only to further develop and fully round out their game in situations that they otherwise wouldn't get to play in if they're up with the big club. All this, while playing big minutes and in all situations. And same for Lack - he'll be facing more NHL quality shooters.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
We may not see Luongo at all...

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:37 AM
medhatcanuck

If there's a team that could brnenfit from a year off it's us. Our team needs to refocus and heal up. Getting Kesler 100% and having more time to improve the team is big. Kassian needs more developing, as does lack, Connaughton, Corrado and Jensen, maybe by next year they'll be ready.

medhatcanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Shareefruck

Stop looking at the bright side.

It benefits other teams so much more than it benefits us, IMO. And we lose our best chance to compete.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
If there's a team that could brnenfit from a year off it's us. Our team needs to refocus and heal up. Getting Kesler 100% and having more time to improve the team is big. Kassian needs more developing, as does lack, Connaughton, Corrado and Jensen, maybe by next year they'll be ready.
But wouldn't these players develop whether there was a lockout or not? The only prospect you can really make a case for developing "better" is Kassian. You're essentially saying well have a better chance to win next year than this year, but why not try both and double our chances? The Kesler injury is a bit concerning, but it's not worth giving up the season for. He'd be back this year, and good chance he'll be ready to play this time. It isn't worth losing a season, all of our key players will be a year older. For players like the Sedins, that's huge. We may only have 4 more shots at it with those guys in their prime, if there's a full year lockout we lose one.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
dave babych returns

I find it really admirable that people are spinning a lockout as a positive development for the Canucks. Misguided in my opinion, but admirable.

It means a period of instability in the league when this team was primed to win, it might have ruined a legitimate shot at moving Roberto Luongo for a return that could help the team now and in the future (not to say we'll never get another chance, just that we lost a chance since everyone acknowledged no deals were being made late in the summer), e everyone will be a year older if this thing goes all year which is a bad thing for about half of our core players, and if the league wins these negotiations by a lesser margin than last time then we're probably looking at a substantially lower cap next year without any corresponding rollback in salaries.

So, yeah. There are some positives and there are some negatives.

Kudos to those seeing the positive side of this but frankly it's an extremely costly development for this franchise (and I don't mean in terms of the piles of money the organization would be making right now if not for the stubbornness of the PA and league's leadership).

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:27 PM
metric

I think the player who could benefit the most from the lockout is Chris Tanev. He'll get top pairing minutes with the Wolves but will be playing tougher competition then he normally would in the AHL. Guys like RNH, Eberle, etc.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:39 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft

So I'm assuming;
no playoffs or 1st overall picks in last three years = 3 balls.
1 playoff appearance or 1st overall pick in last three years = 2 balls.
2+ playoff appearances and/or 1st overall picks in last three years = 1 ball.
I never liked that system. Why should the same poorly managed teams go to the front of line and continue to hog high draft picks when no hockey has been played? How is it fair that Edmonton could draft first overall 4 years in a row and have won 5 Cups in the last 30 years?

The draft should be set up in such a way that distributes lottery picks to all teams that miss the playoffs or have never won a cup.

If I were to design a lockout lottery system every team would start off with 8 balls. You lose two balls for every 1st over all pick and one ball for every 2nd or 3rd overall pick you've had in the last ten years. You then lose 2 balls for every Stanley Cup you've won in the last 35 years and one ball for every Cup final appearance in the last 15 years.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote