HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Busting The Patrick Roy Myth

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2013, 09:17 PM
  #251
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
Prove that Roy was better
That's now how this works. You have the radical opinion here. You have to prove that your opinion is right compared to the norm.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
  #252
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
Let's look at the postseason performance.
Yes lets... how bout them Conn Smythe Trophies.... Roy has 3 of them. He also has 3 vezina's and 4 cup rings plugging his ears so he can't hear you

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
  #253
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
Let's look at the postseason performance.
That's a no-brainer: Roy wins

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:19 PM
  #254
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
Let's look at the postseason performance.

Playoff OT record of 40-16 (24-6 as a Hab!!!), next closest is Belfour at 22-24.
The fact that out of the playoff series he lost, he lost more of them in 7 games than he lost in 4, 5 or 6 games combined.
That he has close to 40 more PO wins than any other goalie 151-94 (.616 winning %) to Brodeur's 113-91(.554 winning %).


Roy's playoff resume:
Total Series: 43
Series wins: 32
Series losses: 11 (1 in 4 games, 2 in 5 games, 2 in 6 games and 6 in 7 games)

Basically, if you had Roy in net, your team only had about a 11% chance of being eliminated in less than 7 games and about a 75% chance of winning.
THAT is ridiculous!


NEXT!

(Not sure if this qualifies as a no-brainer but...)

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:24 PM
  #255
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Hint: One criterion is that you use the phrase "no-brainer" in your reply, that accounts for at least 50% of a successful demonstration.
You are in love with that no-brainer, innit?

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:25 PM
  #256
BamBamCam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle/Boston
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Had a relative who was virulently anti-communist. Doctor tells him he's got 6mnths to live. Emigrates to the USSR. I asked him why. Tells me better one of them than us. While there, he starts writing letters to the Editor of Pravda, special form required; Name, Address, Next of Kin. His ashes arrived back on North American soil in an ersatz coffee can, collect, and early.
So, you're telling me, if you die in the USSR, you better like coffee?

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:27 PM
  #257
BamBamCam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle/Boston
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Biased. You're a Smith fan.

See how easy that is?
Hey, Billy Smith was easily one of the better characters to grace the ice. Or maybe I meant to break the ice

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:27 PM
  #258
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
So, you're telling me, if you die in the USSR, you better like coffee?
They probably billed the family for the bullet too

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:29 PM
  #259
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
Hey, Billy Smith was easily one of the better characters to grace the ice. Or maybe I meant to break the ice
Oh I know! He was hysterical to watch Committing felonious assault with his stick and all

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:29 PM
  #260
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Yes lets... how bout them Conn Smythe Trophies.... Roy has 3 of them. He also has 3 vezina's and 4 cup rings plugging his ears so he can't hear you
Billy got four Cups too.

The Islanders had so many superstars that it was impossible that the same player would get a Conn Smythe every year.

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:31 PM
  #261
BamBamCam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle/Boston
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Oh I know! He was hysterical to watch Committing felonious assault with his stick and all
The NHL needs more crazies like this. Unfortunately the newer fans would lose their collective minds watching a guy like Smith masterfully break an ankle just for looking at him wrong.

Anyhow, Billy Smith is better than Patrick Roy

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:31 PM
  #262
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
You still haven't proved Smith was better. Or responded to Rhiessan71.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:32 PM
  #263
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Playoff OT record of 40-16 (24-6 as a Hab!!!), next closest is Belfour at 22-24.
The fact that out of the playoff series he lost, he lost more of them in 7 games than he lost in 4, 5 or 6 games combined.
That he has close to 40 more PO wins than any other goalie 151-94 (.616 winning %) to Brodeur's 113-91(.554 winning %).


Roy's playoff resume:
Total Series: 43
Series wins: 32
Series losses: 11 (1 in 4 games, 2 in 5 games, 2 in 6 games and 6 in 7 games)

Basically, if you had Roy in net, your team only had about a 11% chance of being eliminated in less than 7 games and about a 75% chance of winning.
THAT is ridiculous!


NEXT!

(Not sure if this qualifies as a no-brainer but...)

Roy's career track record was impressive, indeed. But Billy had 100 per cent record in the 1980-84

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:34 PM
  #264
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
Roy's career track record was impressive, indeed. But Billy had 100 per cent record in the 1980-84
Roy had a hundred 100% record in 86

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:37 PM
  #265
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Roy had a hundred 100% record in 86
4 years vs 1 year?

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:38 PM
  #266
BamBamCam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle/Boston
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
but Roy could not do this:


BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:38 PM
  #267
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
Roy's career track record was impressive, indeed. But Billy had 100 per cent record in the 1980-84
Even your one had argument is wrong. He didnt win 100% of his series in 1984.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:41 PM
  #268
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
4 years vs 1 year?
He was also 100% in '94, '96, and '02. Try again.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:44 PM
  #269
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Even your one had argument is wrong. He didnt win 100% of his series in 1984.
My mistake. I meant 1980-83. 4 years

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:49 PM
  #270
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
He was also 100% in '94, '96, and '02. Try again.
4 years in a row. Billy was more consistent

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:50 PM
  #271
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
My mistake. I meant 1980-83. 4 years
I don't mind the mistake. It's a simple one to make. But your argument is bad. Smith won 4 straight cups. That is VERY impressive. But Roy also won 4 cups across different eras of hockey. Two of which were on worse teams than Smith. He was the MVP of three of those teams


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
4 years in a row. Billy was more consistent
Not really. What did Smith do outside of 1980-83?

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:52 PM
  #272
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
I don't mind the mistake. It's a simple one to make. But your argument is bad. Smith won 4 straight cups. That is VERY impressive. But Roy also won 4 cups across different eras of hockey. Two of which were on worse teams than Smith. He was the MVP of three of those teams
I answered the Conn Smythe argument above

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:54 PM
  #273
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
4 years in a row. Billy was more consistent
Only if by consistent you mean "consistently playing on a better team than Roy's". A clear no-brainer.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:57 PM
  #274
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Only if by consistent you mean "consistently playing on a better team than Roy's". A clear no-brainer.

Well, Billy was one of the players that made Islanders a better team

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:58 PM
  #275
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
I answered the Conn Smythe argument above
Didn't answer it sufficiently. He played with great players is a two sided argument. It's saying that Smith didnt have to be great to win. And maybe they should have won more. Roy played with great players as well in Colarado. He just was so much better than them in the playoffs.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.