HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
10-12-2012, 07:06 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yeah we did open at home against Dallas. It technically wasn't the opener against Washington. I think it may have been for them? It was still close enough, and all I can think about opening a season there is that clunker.

Yeah the Dallas game was bad, but not brutal. I was there too, and we looked like an elite team in the first 10 minutes. I think Zach, and Trav scored in the first 10 minutes, and Kovy hit a very loud post that I thought was for sure a goal where I was sitting. After that Dallas took over.
We went to Washington the next night after the Dallas game. That's part of why I had such a bad feeling after our Opening Night meltdown, it was like Rocky in Rocky III during the first fight getting all punched out early. I didn't think Dallas was even that good, and to lose to them with the Caps and Pens coming up with our roster issues, I thought that could be a bad sign - little did I know how bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Devils/Caps tonight. Where's the GDT?
I'll scream if someone does that. Just like the faux Game 7 SCF thread.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
The 2010 game was really bad. Marty was ugly that night, and Moose was just as ugly when he came in. Kovy was in a fight, and that was probably the last we saw of PL3 cause he started the whole thing, and was sent down.
I was at that game with my Caps fans friends, it was dreadful. Afterwards some clowns in the Rocket Bar were disrespecting Marty, saying he's washed up, and saying that Mike Green is the best defenceman in Caps history, both absurd claims.

I told them that Marty has more Cups than their franchise, and that Langway or Stevens were much better than Green. And I also said that they should stop slagging on the Devils because both teams would be in the playoffs that year. So much for that prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
But what if your boss said he was getting a pay raise when all was said and done?
I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd know that there's nothing I can do about it, and nothing profitable would come from complaining about it.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 09:29 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Sergei Gonchar was better than Green too lol.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
We went to Washington the next night after the Dallas game. That's part of why I had such a bad feeling after our Opening Night meltdown, it was like Rocky in Rocky III during the first fight getting all punched out early. I didn't think Dallas was even that good, and to lose to them with the Caps and Pens coming up with our roster issues, I thought that could be a bad sign - little did I know how bad.
Nice Rocky comparison haha! The Pens game wasn't a blowout. Columbus Day afternoon game I believe. I remember Paul Martin scoring into the empty net, and being booed the whole game. Marty played good that day, but gave up a really bad goal that looked like it went out the other side of his glove!

The funny thing about early in that season. Weren't Marty's only 2 or 3 wins at one point in that shootout shutouts?

Also LOL at the Caps fan talking trash saying Mike Green was the best defensemen they ever had haha! Didn't Kovy get into a fight with Green in that game too? Volchenkov I think was busted open in the 1st period.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Yep, Kovy beat Green's ass. Clarkson got in at least one fight too, maybe even two. Tallinder of all people scored, and Volchenkov went down in the first period to a slapshot in the face from Backstrom. Moose gave up a ludicrous goal after Marty was pulled, and PL3 jumped somebody and got thrown out. Wild game.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Yep, Kovy beat Green's ass. Clarkson got in at least one fight too, maybe even two. Tallinder of all people scored, and Volchenkov went down in the first period to a slapshot in the face from Backstrom. Moose gave up a ludicrous goal after Marty was pulled, and PL3 jumped somebody and got thrown out. Wild game.
One of the goals Moose gave up he gave right to one of the Caps when he was way out in front of the net trying to play the puck. The other one was a nasty seven hole right through the arm. Marty gave up a 7 hole goal too I'm almost sure. Ovechkin scored on a penalty shot. I think Arnott scored first, but just like the game before we gave the goal right back.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Haha, I know quoting my own post, but we were successful.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Haha, I know quoting my own post, but we were successful.
Nice. When I first voted it didn't look like Merrill was gonna take it.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

We are a powerful voting block. We've managed to swing the HF favourite player polls too.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
We are a powerful voting block. We've managed to swing the HF favourite player polls too.
Please don't tell me PK Subban beat Marty though? I never checked back on that one.

Patty crushed Lulongoman.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Please don't tell me PK Subban beat Marty though? I never checked back on that one.

Whhen is Merill actually gonna play for the big club? Or is he Albany now?

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:

No, Marty won that one, and like you said, Patty is still in too.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Whhen is Merill actually gonna play for the big club? Or is he Albany now?
He decided to return to college. He could be NHL ready once he turns pro. With Zidlicky likely gone next year he could challenge for that spot.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:36 PM
CerebralGenesis

I would give Merrill AHL time first and maybe a cup of coffee upon injuries. If he does do well, then let him do his thing. At the least go the Fayne route I'd expect.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
He decided to return to college. He could be NHL ready once he turns pro. With Zidlicky likely gone next year he could challenge for that spot.
I have never seen him play before. I went to preseason NJ games with my best friend last year and didn't see him but I was expecting him to play a lot. But good on him right now...avoid this stupid lockout with the blahblahblah money blah blah....

Old
10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I would give Merrill AHL time first and maybe a cup of coffee upon injuries. If he does do well, then let him do his thing. At the least go the Fayne route I'd expect.
If it's not him then I'd expect Gelinas, or Urbom who has played some NHL time already.

I wouldn't expect to keep Zidlicky. We'd save money not re signing him too for our other UFA's.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
If it's not him then I'd expect Gelinas, or Urbom who has played some NHL time already.

I wouldn't expect to keep Zidlicky. We'd save money not re signing him too for our other UFA's.
IMO Zid was some veteran help but the younglings like you said need space to play. Same with Poni...he should stay IMO. The first game he played in NJ he had a goal but played well throughout the time. __

Old
10-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I think Merrill will get some time in the AHL first. Lou is not going to rush him. Not when he knows that Merrill has personal issues that might be better solved if he develops slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
IMO Zid was some veteran help but the younglings like you said need space to play. Same with Poni...he should stay IMO. The first game he played in NJ he had a goal but played well throughout the time. __
Poni is gone, he signed with the Jets.

Old
10-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Brodeur

I would think Merrill would be lower on the totem pole after Gelinas and Urbom. Plus it's not a bad idea for Merrill to get a full season of AHL action, if only to get used to the professional schedule.

Larsson's longest season in Sweden was ~60 games including playoffs. So it shouldn't have been too shocking to see him hit the wall down the stretch (albeit the Subban check had something to do with that).

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

I hope we trade for Sekera when Zids` contract expires.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I hope we trade for Sekera when Zids` contract expires.
?

That's when one of Gelinas, Urbom, or Merrill steps in.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
?

That's when one of Gelinas, Urbom, or Merrill steps in.
You mean before or after we trade Tallinder/Volchenkov/both?

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I think Merrill will get some time in the AHL first. Lou is not going to rush him. Not when he knows that Merrill has personal issues that might be better solved if he develops slower.

Poni is gone, he signed with the Jets.

Merrill wants to compete for an NHL spot, sucks to see his injury as he needs all the playing time he can get for obvious reasons. Next season, he will likely battle with Urbom and Gelinas for a spot on the team out of training camp. The Devils defense would look like...

Larsson-Tallinder, Greene-Salvador, Urbom/Gelinas/Merrill-Volchenkov.

Top two make the team and battle it out to get playing time IMO. Maybe Devils bring back Zid if they feel the other three aren't ready, or if they deal Tallinder/Volchenkov

Old
10-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
You mean before or after we trade Tallinder/Volchenkov/both?
I'm one to think Zidlicky is going to have a big year this year 30+ points and 8+ goals.

He may resign regardless, especially to play with Elias. If Tallinder or Volchenkov get traded, then either Zidlicky stays or Devils add another defender.

My bet on Devils defense in 2013-2014:

Larsson-Greene
Gelinas/Urbom/Merrill-Fayne
Zidlicky-Volchenkov

Old
10-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I'm one to think Zidlicky is going to have a big year this year 30+ points and 8+ goals.

He may resign regardless, especially to play with Elias. If Tallinder or Volchenkov get traded, then either Zidlicky stays or Devils add another defender.

My bet on Devils defense in 2013-2014:

Larsson-Greene
Gelinas/Urbom/Merrill-Fayne
Zidlicky-Volchenkov
Salvador is signed for 13/14, and isn't going anywhere unless his play slips I'd say.

I'd rather have Zidlicky than Volchenkov at this point. I like Volchenkov, and feel he gets too much ****, but I never liked the contract. A million less a year, and I'd be happy with it.