HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
10-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I would think Merrill would be lower on the totem pole after Gelinas and Urbom. Plus it's not a bad idea for Merrill to get a full season of AHL action, if only to get used to the professional schedule.
I think it will depend entirely on merit. If Merrill comes in and tears up the AHL, they're not going to make him wait behind Gelinas and Urbom just because those guys have more experience.

We will have a bit of a log jam in front of these guys though. I'm not sure we will re-sign Zidlicky or Tallinder when their contracts are up.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Nick0930

Lou was officially inducted into the US Hockey Hall of Fame today.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Hopefully Tallinder is gone before the season starts. We need to get rid of somebody, and him or Greene, or Fayne would be the easiest to get rid of. I choose the other two over him. We need to get rid of one to make room for an extra forward on our roster not including Harrold.

Zidlicky is probably gone after this season. If there is a this season.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Hopefully Tallinder is gone before the season starts. We need to get rid of somebody, and him or Greene, or Fayne would be the easiest to get rid of. I choose the other two over him. We need to get rid of one to make room for an extra forward on our roster not including Harrold.

Zidlicky is probably gone after this season. If there is a this season.
Nashville fans inquiring about adding an offensive defensemen to their second pairing to compliment Hal Gill. I couldn't help but think Andy Greene would be a perfect fit in Nashville. Curious to see what they offer for him.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Nashville fans inquiring about adding an offensive defensemen to their second pairing to compliment Hal Gill. I couldn't help but think Andy Greene would be a perfect fit in Nashville. Curious to see what they offer for him.
I wouldn't mind Andy Greene gone, but at a good price. Now Tallinder I would get rid of for nothing really. In fact if the salary cap goes down I wouldn't mind it a salary dump. So we can sign our forward UFA's next year. We got by without Tallinder from halfway through the season until game 4 of the SCF. We really won't miss him that bad I don't think.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
HeliDevil
Bear Down

Andy Greene had the best beard last playoffs, no way I trade him unless it's a major overpayment.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Andy Greene gone, but at a good price. Now Tallinder I would get rid of for nothing really. In fact if the salary cap goes down I wouldn't mind it a salary dump. So we can sign our forward UFA's next year. We got by without Tallinder from halfway through the season until game 4 of the SCF. We really won't miss him that bad I don't think.
Halischuk for Tallinder?

Kovalchuk-Zajac-xxx
Elias-Henrique-Zubrus
Halischuk-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I really like that idea.

Last edited by Zippy316: 10-15-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old
10-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I don't even know how Halischuk is these days? Any good?

If he's cheap then sign me up. I'm more worried about having enough forwards this year, and not being constrained by 7 NHL defensemen, and having money to sign our UFA forwards this Summer.

Plus I think people(Including me) complained more about Tallinder on here in the GDT's last year than they complained about Marty's goaltending. Maybe even more than Kovy's defensive play on a REALLY BAD night for Tallinder.

Fayne, and Tallinder as a defensive pairing was really scary in the first half of last season too. Mind numbingly frightening too for the period they played together in between Greene, and Tallinder's injuries.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:27 PM
apice3*

Halischuk will be a 2nd to 4th line plug depending on where you need him for pretty much his entire career. Always liked the guy.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I don't even know how Halischuk is these days? Any good?

If he's cheap then sign me up. I'm more worried about having enough forwards this year, and not being constrained by 7 NHL defensemen, and having money to sign our UFA forwards this Summer.

Plus I think people(Including me) complained more about Tallinder on here in the GDT's last year than they complained about Marty's goaltending. Maybe even more than Kovy's defensive play on a REALLY BAD night for Tallinder.

Fayne, and Tallinder as a defensive pairing was really scary in the first half of last season too. Mind numbingly frightening too for the period they played together in between Greene, and Tallinder's injuries.
Scored 15g and 13a last year in the bottom six. He could be a nice two-way hard-working third liner with some skill. Could be a 15g 15a player, maybe more, he's still only 24 too.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:11 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

The best Tallinder trades I've seen so far are..

for:
Luke Adam + 2nd (Buffalo)

or
Matt D'agostini (St. Louis)

I remember the above proposal with Nashville coming up previously, but it doesn't seem like Preds fans are willing to part with a quality depth player. I'd do it, though

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
The best Tallinder trades I've seen so far are..

for:
Luke Adam + 2nd (Buffalo)

or
Matt D'agostini (St. Louis)

I remember the above proposal with Nashville coming up previously, but it doesn't seem like Preds fans are willing to part with a quality depth player. I'd do it, though
You missed the Jussi Jokinen for Anton Volchenkov proposal. Carolina fans collectively agreed.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Halischuk will be a 2nd to 4th line plug depending on where you need him for pretty much his entire career. Always liked the guy.
Zubrus-lite pretty much.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
You missed the Jussi Jokinen for Anton Volchenkov proposal. Carolina fans collectively agreed.
I think some Oilers fans entertained the idea of Volchenkov for Hemsky. I'd be more hesitant to deal Tallinder, but sign me up for that Adam + 2nd proposal.

I wonder how long before other fans begin to realize Volchenkov is probably worth 50% of his salary. Peter Deboer certainly has.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I don't hate Volchenkov, but I don't like the contract. The fact it comes with a no trade clause makes me dislike it more.

If it were a million less with the same year, or even perhaps 2 years less same cap hit, I'd be happier.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:24 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
I was literally just commenting on that one
Another good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I think some Oilers fans entertained the idea of Volchenkov for Hemsky. I'd be more hesitant to deal Tallinder, but sign me up for that Adam + 2nd proposal.

I wonder how long before other fans begin to realize Volchenkov is probably worth 50% of his salary. Peter Deboer certainly has.
Buffalo seems to really want Tallinder back and there was a lot of mutual interest on that one. Probably one of the most agreeable trade proposals I've seen.

And considering what other dmen have collected this offseason, I think Volch's caphit becomes less and less of a burden to offload. Should he choose to be offloaded.
I really would love to see Hemsky with Elias, though.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Another good one.

Buffalo seems to really want Tallinder back and there was a lot of mutual interest on that one. Probably one of the most agreeable trade proposals I've seen.

And considering what other dmen have collected this offseason, I think Volch's caphit becomes less and less of a burden to offload. Should he choose to be offloaded.
Buff doesn't need another defender unless they trade one away.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
I don't hate Volchenkov, but I don't like the contract. The fact it comes with a no trade clause makes me dislike it more.

If it were a million less with the same year, or even perhaps 2 years less same cap hit, I'd be happier.
The alarming statistic is Volchenkov's ice time: 17:58/game, seventh among Devils' defensemen. All the while providing zero offensive value. If you're going to be a $4.25M strictly shutdown D, you need to be able to handle 22 minutes a night against top lines and come out on top. But Volchenkov is outplayed by guys like Tallinder and Salvador at ES. He's good on the PK, though.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Another good one.

I want to see Havlat with Elias, but San Jose doesn't need defense. I would add to Tallinder to get Havlat who is locked up for a couple years, because then that makes Elias more likely to stay, which would make Zidlicky more likely to stay as well.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I wonder if Tallinder would be down to return to Buffalo? I just want one of them out. I would be most okay with getting rid of Tallinder. Let's face it, Volchenkov isn't going anywhere with that full NTC. I think he would leave if Ottawa took him back cause he expressed wanting to stay with Ottawa before he signed here.

We need one D man gone. With the 23 man roster limit we'll be carrying 2 goaltenders, 8 defensemen, and 13 forwards. I'm including Harrold as a D man. We NEED scoring right now. Yeah we got all these defensemen, but we can't score as many goals as last season. I have a feeling we'll be saying this if we go into the regular season like this.

Aside from entry level guys Janssen is the only forward on a two way contract. We all know he won't see any AHL time. There's a better chance of seeing Butler, and Tedenby up in Albany when the NHL returns than Janssen. Maybe even a better chance of Josefson seeing AHL time than Janssen which is BS.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:34 PM
manilaNJ

I think the only incentives necessary for Elias to stay are years and $$. If neither of those are close to making him feel secure... he might venture elsewhere.

I like Zid, but there are younger versions of him coming up the pipeline.

I'd also love Havlat... but I don't think San Jose lets him go for anything we're willing to offer.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
The alarming statistic is Volchenkov's ice time: 17:58/game, seventh among Devils' defensemen. All the while providing zero offensive value. If you're going to be a $4.25M strictly shutdown D, you need to be able to handle 22 minutes a night against top lines and come out on top. But Volchenkov is outplayed by guys like Tallinder and Salvador at ES. He's good on the PK, though.
I won't dispute this. A defenseman being paid that much(Zidlicky is) needs to have offensive abilities. Volchenkov really doesn't provide much offense, or enough to justify that salary to begin with. How did he come about getting this kind of salary though? I'd say he was one of the more in demand UFA D men on July 1st 2010. Probably right behind Paul Martin who departed us.

Quote:
I want to see Havlat with Elias, but San Jose doesn't need defense. I would add to Tallinder to get Havlat who is locked up for a couple years, because then that makes Elias more likely to stay, which would make Zidlicky more likely to stay as well.
I think Elias will stay. The thing that I'd be worried about is Lou not locking up or attempting to lock up Clarkson, and Zajac way before July 1st, and Elias has to sit on the backburner the way Marty did. Marty took it like a champ, cause he's always been loyal to us. Elias might not have the patience. Who knows? Zidlicky I'm fine with letting walk. We need the money to re sign Elias, Clarkson, Zajac, and Zubrus if possible.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
I think the only incentives necessary for Elias to stay are years and $$. If neither of those are close to making him feel secure... he might venture elsewhere.
I think he'll stay if he's wanted. $4.5 million or maybe $5 million if we have the space for 3 years max. He seems like a guy that won't be playing into their 40s, or at least not past 40. By the things he said, and other things I don't see him as one of those guys playing into their 40s. Who knows though? Marty said during the SCF he would retire if there was a long lockout. Now he's been saying he'll be back for the 2nd year on the contract regardless.

I would be afraid of letting Patty get to July 1st. Especially if we lose at least one of Clarkson, or Zajac. Patrik Elias was 10th in the league in points last year. He will be hot on the UFA market. He's already projected being more in demand than Zajac, but Zajac missed just about all of last year so that is probably why he's ranked lower right now. If he goes to July 1st he'll talk to teams like Marty did. Who knows if he'll feel slighted by this or not though?

Old
10-15-2012, 10:47 PM
manilaNJ

He'll be wanted... feeling like he's wanted is a different story. Hence the years & the $$.

It still drives me nuts that I can't find the article or video... but I remember him saying that his goal is to be able to play until he's 40.

I can see him having to twist Lou's arm to get an extra year or 2 tacked onto the intial offer... giving all of us our usual pre-UFA season panic attack.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:48 PM
CerebralGenesis

I actually feel like Elias is one of those guys who won't be playing too late into his years.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote