HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
10-15-2012, 10:54 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

vCash: 500
Gut instinct says Lou gives him a 3 year, $14 million deal. With the final year being the final year of his career. But, obviously, I've got nothing.

I've been mentally prepared for Marty's last game for a while now.
The thought of a Devils team without Elias makes me

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I actually feel like Elias is one of those guys who won't be playing too late into his years.
It's not as if his style of play won't allow it. I'd sign him for another 3 years after this one ends.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

He will be in demand on the UFA market. There will probably be more than 3 or 4 teams interested unlike Marty, as there are more forwards to go around than goalies.

If Lou does his usual wait until last week of June to start contract negotiations there is a good chance all 4 of them(26,19,23,8) will go to UFA on July 1st, and have to wait around until Zajac, and Clarkson are signed. Patty might not be as patient as Marty. He may feel slighted that he wasn't given an extension beforehand, or be annoyed that he wasn't a priority. There will be teams talking to him on July 1st if he goes that far.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:13 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
It's not as if his style of play won't allow it. I'd sign him for another 3 years after this one ends.
It's got nothing to do with style. I don't know if he wants to is all. Not sure about the interview about him saying he'd play til 40, but I don't get the vibe of him pulling a Selanne.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:39 AM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
I think he'll keep going for awhile if the Devils stay competitive. I think he really loves the game. He doesn't seem like the guy to care if his best friends get traded away or if he isn't the captain or anything.

Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Hopefully Tallinder is gone before the season starts. We need to get rid of somebody, and him or Greene, or Fayne would be the easiest to get rid of. I choose the other two over him. We need to get rid of one to make room for an extra forward on our roster not including Harrold.

Zidlicky is probably gone after this season. If there is a this season.
We don't need to get rid of someone, but we have a surplus of quality defencemen and we can obtain other assets if we make one available in trade. Greene and Fayne are going nowhere, so Tallinder or Volchenkov make the most sense to offer. But Volch has the NTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I think the only incentives necessary for Elias to stay are years and $$. If neither of those are close to making him feel secure... he might venture elsewhere.
Nah, Patty is a lifer. Lou will give him his gold watch. Patty might do what Marty did and pretend to look elsewhere, but in the end Lou will take care of him and both of them know it.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:35 AM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Nah, Patty is a lifer. Lou will give him his gold watch. Patty might do what Marty did and pretend to look elsewhere, but in the end Lou will take care of him and both of them know it.
That's basically what I'm getting at.
Like I said, he'll give us the usual pre-UFA panic attack.

Then he'll get either an extra year or an extra million that no one will like... but he'll deserve it, in my eyes.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:40 AM
manilaNJ

Also, I liked this quote...

Mike Morreale ‏@mike_morreale
During his induction speech, Mike Modano called Lou Lamoriello the "Godfather of American hockey." #passthecannolis

Old
10-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
We don't need to get rid of someone, but we have a surplus of quality defencemen and we can obtain other assets if we make one available in trade. Greene and Fayne are going nowhere, so Tallinder or Volchenkov make the most sense to offer. But Volch has the NTC.
If we don't get rid of someone though, then we have one less forward we will be able to carry on the roster. Like I said Josefson has a better chance of seeing AHL time when the NHL comes back than Janssen, and that's the unfortunate gods honest truth. Also we have to sit an NHL defensemen upstairs every game, and even if there's injury we could be bringing someone more than capable like Urbom up. They won't be able to come up though cause of the logjam.

Unless they send Larsson to the AHL. The only D man on a two way contract. That would be incredibly awful if he's playing up there too. It already sounds like he's too good for that league right now.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
If we don't get rid of someone though, then we have one less forward we will be able to carry on the roster. Like I said Josefson has a better chance of seeing AHL time when the NHL comes back than Janssen, and that's the unfortunate gods honest truth. Also we have to sit an NHL defensemen upstairs every game, and even if there's injury we could be bringing someone more than capable like Urbom up. They won't be able to come up though cause of the logjam.

Unless they send Larsson to the AHL. The only D man on a two way contract. That would be incredibly awful if he's playing up there too. It already sounds like he's too good for that league right now.
And that league is riddled with young NHL caliber players right now, too. If he's not on the NHL roster I will rage like I never have before.

Trade someone.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
And that league is riddled with young NHL caliber players right now, too. If he's not on the NHL roster I will rage like I never have before.

Trade someone.
And there is also a better chance he sees AHL ice time this year than Jam Canssen! Not saying he will, but there is virtually no chance of Jam seeing the AHL. He's the only non entry level forward on a two way contract. Well him, and Butler. Butler has a better chance of scoring as well as taking a competent shift so we need him on the team.

I think if Tedenby shows no signs of improvement, then maybe Lou will sign Sykora if this thing hasn't gone on too long that Petr has signed in Europe. That or maybe Pesonen will get that spot.

Going by comments in the Albany GDT, Tedenby didn't look good, and Pesonen looked like one of Albany's best forwards. I didn't watch the game so I won't comment, and it's just one game anyway.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
And there is also a better chance he sees AHL ice time this year than Jam Canssen! Not saying he will, but there is virtually no chance of Jam seeing the AHL. He's the only non entry level forward on a two way contract. Well him, and Butler. Butler has a better chance of scoring as well as taking a competent shift so we need him on the team.

I think if Tedenby shows no signs of improvement, then maybe Lou will sign Sykora if this thing hasn't gone on too long that Petr has signed in Europe. That or maybe Pesonen will get that spot.

Going by comments in the Albany GDT, Tedenby didn't look good, and Pesonen looked like one of Albany's best forwards. I didn't watch the game so I won't comment, and it's just one game anyway.
I watched some of it, and it looks like Tedenby still hasn't learned that in hockey you actually have to move towards the net rather than just dangle pointlessly in the circle.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I watched some of it, and it looks like Tedenby still hasn't learned that in hockey you actually have to move towards the net rather than just dangle pointlessly in the circle.
His defense has always been horrible. His biggest problem offensively is he lacks finish big time. He had more breakaway opportunities early last year than anybody on the team, and would usually fire over the net, and hit the glass. Or would try some fancy moves that would slow him down, and he would be eventually knocked off the puck as the opposition caught up to him.

I'd much rather have him, and Butler up than Janssen. Unless they think it's beneficial to leave him in the AHL a whole year.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Also, I liked this quote...

Mike Morreale ‏@mike_morreale
During his induction speech, Mike Modano called Lou Lamoriello the "Godfather of American hockey." #passthecannolis
Leave the trap. Take the Cup.

Quote:
He doesn't have the confidence to trust his shot, unfortunately. He's a sniper who doesn't shoot enough.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Tedenby`s not a sniper. He can shoot but he`s more of a dangler/passer.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Not to blow my load here, but I think we'll likely only take Butler, and Tedenby up, or even Pesonen too with a short training camp. There is really only one spot open if no one is on LTIR, and a D man is not traded.

Kovy, Zajac, Zubrus, Henrique, Elias, Clarkson, Josefson, Gionta, Bernier, Carter, Barch, Janssen. 12 right there. We can only carry 13 forwards with the 8 D men. Including Harrold as a D man, and not a forward.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Zippy316

I'm watching the Devils/Rangers Game 6 right now....

And I'm celebrating at the goals that I know are coming...

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Mgd31

Quote:

Josefson will be in the NHL no question and surely not in the AHL at the expense of Cam ****ing Janssen.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Josefson will be in the NHL no question and surely not in the AHL at the expense of Cam ****ing Janssen.
Same thing with Larsson. He'll start in the NHL unless he plays his way to a demotion.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I definitely think he'll be in the NHL. Though can you see Janssen in the AHL? I don't even know why Lou would give him a two way contract. In fact last year they waived Boulton, when they could have just sent Cam down to pay him $105k grand. It didn't matter cause Boulton never went up the River anyway.

Only way I think Cam goes to Albany is after a trade deadline acquisition if there isn't enough room.

Quote:
Same thing with Larsson. He'll start in the NHL unless he plays his way to a demotion.
Like you say only Larsson would only go down if he were playing worth a demotion. Can Cam Janssen really play his way to demotion though? He's ****in horrible, and still was never sent down. I realize two different roles, but still.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:12 PM
CerebralGenesis

If they compress the 82 with the month off, then there will be time for everyone and many more! If they even get the deal done in 10 days it'll be pushing it. I might be in the minority, based on the mainboards anyway, but I smell injuries.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:28 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
I like teddy but he sucks right now. as for pesonen, I liked his game, but he's a lunch pail grinder that at best.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
If they compress the 82 with the month off, then there will be time for everyone and many more! If they even get the deal done in 10 days it'll be pushing it. I might be in the minority, based on the mainboards anyway, but I smell injuries.
There's definitely more potential for injuries with a compressed schedule. Players already have a tough time with the grind of the season, if we reduce their recovery time between games, it doesn't bode well for their health.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
One extra game every five weeks. Really not much different from when we have the Olympics.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:45 AM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
One extra game every five weeks. Really not much different from when we have the Olympics.
I agree. It works out to about two weeks extra they need to make up since the Olympics take about 14 days usually. I don't think that is too bad. If they want to reduce the season to 70-75 games I think then it would out exactly to an Olympic year, but I don't think they will.

I Hate Tie DOMI is offline   Reply With Quote