HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
10-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI View Post
I agree. It works out to about two weeks extra they need to make up since the Olympics take about 14 days usually. I don't think that is too bad. If they want to reduce the season to 70-75 games I think then it would out exactly to an Olympic year, but I don't think they will.
One week extra, I think. Season was supposed to start October 11th, which is three weeks before November 2nd.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

RT @ice_chip: Devils defenseman Peter Harrold skated with Canes players today at RCI.

LOL looks like Peter Harrold has been to Raleigh!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Nick0930

Been watching some Sean Avery highlights. Good times.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:25 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

You forgot his true shining moment...

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Nobody likes Sean Avery. I am thrilled that he will only be remembered for scandals and for pissing off Marty. That was the only way he could achieve lasting fame: by annoying more talented players.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Remember when Avery said in the ECF if he played the Rangers they would have beaten us? LOL!

If Avery played for the Rangers all season, they wouldn't have made it to the ECF. Who's spot exactly would he have taken on that team? Maybe in Krieder's spot had that not called him up to play in the playoffs? Yeah alright Sean good one.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:07 PM
apice3*

Did Avery really say that? What a clown.

Avery could have been a very successful 4th line agitator. Let's face it, he was pretty much the best at getting under players skin. The problem is he didn't know when to stop and just play. He actually had a decent amount of skill for his role. He just never cared to use it, and that is why I will never respect him.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Yeah Avery did say that I think a month or two ago. Who's spot would he have taken? Krieder's who wouldn't have been called up cause Avery was on the roster? Rupp?

Old
10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yeah Avery did say that I think a month or two ago. Who's spot would he have taken? Krieder's who wouldn't have been called up cause Avery was on the roster? Rupp?
Anyone on the 4th line or Bickell, if anyone.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Did Avery really say that? What a clown.

Avery could have been a very successful 4th line agitator. Let's face it, he was pretty much the best at getting under players skin. The problem is he didn't know when to stop and just play. He actually had a decent amount of skill for his role. He just never cared to use it, and that is why I will never respect him.
He was a good player, no doubt. In his first tour with the Rangers, he was almost like Zubrus but also a great agitator. I absolutely hate Avery, but at the same time, you have to respect him as an agitator because he was good at what he did. It's the same think with Lundqvist, I hate him, but respect the fact that he's one of the best goalies.

Who knows, Rangers probably could've used Avery. The Devils did a good job of keeping their series low-key without any altercations afterwards. This way they played the games without their emotions getting too involved, I think Avery would've gotten the Devils more emotional and when your emotion overcomes reason, players will get off their game or make mistakes. In that sense, he would've helped the Rangers, whether they would've beaten us is a different story.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

If the Flyers didn't rattle the Devils, I doubt Avery would have. You never know with Avery though. Kovy, and Marty HATE him as well as Clarkson, and most of the other guys. Kovy had history with him going back to his days playing for the Thrashers when they were playing the Rangers in the playoffs.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:49 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
He was a good player, no doubt. In his first tour with the Rangers, he was almost like Zubrus but also a great agitator. I absolutely hate Avery, but at the same time, you have to respect him as an agitator because he was good at what he did. It's the same think with Lundqvist, I hate him, but respect the fact that he's one of the best goalies.

Who knows, Rangers probably could've used Avery. The Devils did a good job of keeping their series low-key without any altercations afterwards. This way they played the games without their emotions getting too involved, I think Avery would've gotten the Devils more emotional and when your emotion overcomes reason, players will get off their game or make mistakes. In that sense, he would've helped the Rangers, whether they would've beaten us is a different story.
I respect Carcillo as an agitator. I respect Rupp as an agitator. I don't respect Avery as an agitator. The guy turned his back on the game to settle a personal score with Brodeur, turtled in fights, and goated players into dropping gloves and skating a way.

There are unwritten rules when it comes to agitating. Avery broke every single one.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I kinda like Avery.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
If Avery was a Devil and pulled that **** vs Lundqvist we still would of thought he was a jackass but would of loved him for doing so.

So I get it.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 02:05 PM
apice3*

If Avery did that as a member of the Devils, he would have been put on waivers immediately. Lou wouldn't deal with that.

Old
10-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Get new CBA. Give Tedenby and Butler a chance. If they don't work out shop Tallinder for a mediocre top-6 winger.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

I'd let Butler, and Tedenby battle amongst themselves, and re sign Sykora. I wouldn't mind too much though as long as both of them are up. Like I said if the seasons starts, and one of Tedenby or Butler is in the minors, but Janssen is up I'll be extremely annoyed. It's one thing if one of them is demoted down after sucking like Tedenby was last year.

Old
10-18-2012, 02:34 PM
apice3*

Personally I think the fact that we didn't sign him prior to 9/15 and the fact that we nabbed Butler is a sign that we will not be moving forward with Sykora.

Old
10-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

Quote:
Personally I think the fact that we didn't sign him prior to 9/15 and the fact that we nabbed Butler is a sign that we will not be moving forward with Sykora.
I think so too. I feel bad though cause he wanted to be here unlike some other guy. It would be cheaper to sign him if Butler or Mattias stink up the joint, than trading for some forward. I'd still like to get rid of Tallinder if not for a salary dump. Gives us more room to lock up Zajac, and Clarkson next year. I still loathe we re signed Janssen(And then Barch on top of that) but not Sykora. We probably could have given Sykie a one year deal for a million, or maybe less if he really wanted to stay. Plus he plays good with Patty. I don't expect Patty to be 10th in the league in points this year, but I think we can see another 25 goal season, with maybe 50-60 points if he's healthy.

I wouldn't mind signing a bottom 6 guy at this point for depth. Bottom 6 meaning a 3rd line, Poni type player. I didn't want him back really after the season, but with Parise gone he's a cheap 15 goals.

Old
10-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
If the Flyers didn't rattle the Devils, I doubt Avery would have. You never know with Avery though. Kovy, and Marty HATE him as well as Clarkson, and most of the other guys. Kovy had history with him going back to his days playing for the Thrashers when they were playing the Rangers in the playoffs.
The thing is, John Tortorella doesn't like Avery, and neither do half his teammates, I'm sure.

Quote:
If Avery did that as a member of the Devils, he would have been put on waivers immediately. Lou wouldn't deal with that.
I'm not so sure about that. Claude Lemieux was a world class troll for his whole career and Lou saw fit to bring him back for a second stint. But he was never really that obscene, nor did he cause controversy off the ice like Avery did.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

More old stories from my sports bureau!

I remember Lemaire once having an ''I can't talk about it'' moment when asked about Claude Lemieux after he was shipped off to the Avs in 95 the Fall after winning the Conn Smythe.

He beat around the bush when asked if he was annoyed with him sometimes, and his antics.

Man I hated that trade. Glad Steve Thomas never made the all time polls yet. Overrated, poor mans Claude. He was also talking a bunch of ****, and running his mouth about us when he played for the Ducks during the 03 SCF. He also scored against us in almost every game in the 01 playoffs when we played the Leafs!

Old
10-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
It's obvious Sykie wants to be back, for that reason, I think Lou invites him to camp again. DeBoer and Lou tell him, you outplay your competition, Butler, Tedenby, Parse, etc, you earn your spot on the team.

It might be a bit insulting to Sykie, but the fact that he didn't sign elsewhere, both in the NHL and Europe shows how much he wants to be back as a Devil. If he wants to play for the Devils, he can't sign in Europe and also get an out-clause because he doesn't have an NHL contract, so if he didn't plan on being a Devil, he would've been in Europe already. Only way around that is if he does something like play for Jagr's team and Jagr gives him an out-clause out of courtesy.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

I doubt Parse gets a spot out of camp. The good news though is that if we have depth problems or injuries, I'm sure Parse gets a look before other bums. At least we won't have Sestito or Mills playing again like last year hopefully. At least we have enough D depth too that we don't have to see Jay Leach back here again either!

Old
10-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Parse is too close of a name to Parise.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Bleedred
Buyout bone dust

We won't even have to worry about Sykie, or Butler, or Tedenby or Parse(Outside of the AHL) this season.