HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
11-07-2012, 12:19 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

vCash: 500
Absolutely no need to bring White back. His time has passed. Unlikely he'll get picked up anywhere else.

I respect everything he did for us however.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Absolutely no need to bring White back. His time has passed. Unlikely he'll get picked up anywhere else.

I respect everything he did for us however.
Yeah we have too many D. The ones we have are all much better at this point. Plus if we bring anyone back I'd rather it be Sykora. That would be extremely questionable to not bring him back, but to bring Colin White back right now. It's kinda like Pandolfo. It sucked he couldn't end his career here either, but he was a BAD BAD BAD BAD contract/cap hit. He was less serviceable than Colin White even was. Pandolfo supposedly asked for the buyout, but I wonder if they would have bought him out anyway?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Zippy316

Okay, I was bored and for some reason was thinking about an EDM-NJ-VAN trade. I know we say we don't need a goalie, but I was thinking something along the lines of:

Luongo to Edmonton, Dubynk to NJ, and Hedberg to VAN. All those are self explanatory, but there would of course need to be more pieces involved. Can anyone think of a deal or players that would benefit each team and make it fair?

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Okay, I was bored and for some reason was thinking about an EDM-NJ-VAN trade. I know we say we don't need a goalie, but I was thinking something along the lines of:

Luongo to Edmonton, Dubynk to NJ, and Hedberg to VAN. All those are self explanatory, but there would of course need to be more pieces involved. Can anyone think of a deal or players that would benefit each team and make it fair?
I'd love that, but the Devils are giving up the worst asset in that deal and getting the best (when you consider Dubnyk's age and contract). Vancouver could do better than Hedberg as a return for Luongo.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I'd love that, but the Devils are giving up the worst asset in that deal and getting the best (when you consider Dubnyk's age and contract). Vancouver could do better than Hedberg as a return for Luongo.
I was saying, that's the main structure of the deal.

Of course, Devils would have to add as Edmonton and Vancouver need a reason to do those deals.

Maybe?

To EDM: Luongo
To VAN: Tallinder, Hedberg, NJD prospect and an Edmonton second
To NJ: Dubynk

Vancouver gives up Luongo and gets Tallinder, Hedberg, NJD prospect, and a second.
Edmonton gives up Dubynk and a second and gets Luongo.
NJ gives up Tallinder, Hedberg, and a prospect and gets Dubynk.

Fair value all the way around, I might throw this into the Luongo trade thread.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Dubnyk is pretty cool/good. But I personally enjoy having Hedberg in NJ. I didn't know Dubnyk was that high rated for NJ to give that much.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Dubnyk is pretty cool/good. But I personally enjoy having Hedberg in NJ. I didn't know Dubnyk was that high rated for NJ to give that much.
Well. Tallinder is expendable with Larsson, Fayne, Greene, Volchenkov, Salvador, Harrold, and Zidlicky. Gelinas and Urbom are close to being NHL ready as well. Zidlicky and Harrold are the only guys not locked up through 2013-2014.

Trading Tallinder actually helps us in the long run. Tallinder's value is pretty small for that reason. Hedberg is expendable when adding Dubynk, so it's really only a D we don't need and a forward prospect for an NHL ready goalie with starting potential. Don't get me wrong, I love Hedberg, but Dubynk has the potential to be a solid starting goalie, almost like how Hiller is now.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Tallinder's not nearly as expendable as Volchenkov. He's on a real cheap contract considering his minutes, and the fact that he had the most defensive-zone starts on the team while still having a positive shot ratio. Tallinder proved how useful he can be during the finals. I understand he and Greene are the easiest to move, but Lou should try his best to hold on to Tallinder.

Moving Volchenkov for anything but peanuts is probably impossible at this point, though, and that presents a problem.

Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:59 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

At this point, what team would want a Goaltender that is basically on his last contract at this point?

Lou signed Marty and Moose to two-year deals for a reason.

Anyway, if this lockout continues to the point where the current season is cancelled, those 2-year deals become one-year deals. Am I right about that? Or does Lou have to honor the lost year due to the Lockout?

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Volch is our Horcoff. He ain't going anywhere.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:13 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

I'd hold off on this kind of a deal, personally.

If we're dealing our most valuable chip (essentially the only trading chip we'd be able to realistically part with) in a surplus defenseman, I'd rather fill our biggest need now -- RW depth.

Who we'd target? I'm not really sure. But I'd make sure all RW options are exhausted and fruitless before trading for a goalie.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
At this point, what team would want a Goaltender that is basically on his last contract at this point?

Lou signed Marty and Moose to two-year deals for a reason.

Anyway, if this lockout continues to the point where the current season is cancelled, those 2-year deals become one-year deals. Am I right about that? Or does Lou have to honor the lost year due to the Lockout?
Yes that's right. One year is burned off of everyone's contract. So Zajac, Clarkson, Elias, Zubrus, Zidlicky, all become UFA's, Henrique, Josefson, Tedenby, Butler all RFA's. Marty, and Moose down to one year each, if there's no season at all.

Remember back to Niedermayer in 04. Went to arbitration, got a one year contract, the league locked out, league came back the next Summer and you know the rest.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:33 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
I'd hold off on this kind of a deal, personally.

If we're dealing our most valuable chip (essentially the only trading chip we'd be able to realistically part with) in a surplus defenseman, I'd rather fill our biggest need now -- RW depth.

Who we'd target? I'm not really sure. But I'd make sure all RW options are exhausted and fruitless before trading for a goalie.
Back when hockey was actually on the brain, people speculated about Brian Gionta, Ales Hemsky and Martin Havlat among others, via a trade of a d-man. It makes too much sense not to go that route, especially with Butler and Tedenby not impressing anyone in Albany.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Back when hockey was actually on the brain, people speculated about Brian Gionta, Ales Hemsky and Martin Havlat among others, via a trade of a d-man. It makes too much sense not to go that route, especially with Butler and Tedenby not impressing anyone in Albany.
Wouldn't do Hemsky. He's quite fragile. What happened to the Ted man?

Old
11-07-2012, 06:31 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yes that's right. One year is burned off of everyone's contract. So Zajac, Clarkson, Elias, Zubrus, Zidlicky, all become UFA's, Henrique, Josefson, Tedenby, Butler all RFA's. Marty, and Moose down to one year each, if there's no season at all.

Remember back to Niedermayer in 04. Went to arbitration, got a one year contract, the league locked out, league came back the next Summer and you know the rest.
My god that would royally suck.

I'm now officially PRAYING that a deal gets done for AT LEAST a shortened season so that we can see Marty for 2 more seasons instead of one final one.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Hopefully we can do a trade. Especially for someone with a year or two left. We'll just have to see what the salary cap is when this all ends. One of Tedenby or Butler will get the other spot. Tedenby has looked a bit better than Butler so far along. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Brian Gionta. Canadiens fans claimed their new GM doesn't like him, and would shop him at the right price. I'd gladly take him back, but as long as we don't have to give up a forward. Well unless it's Barch or Janssen!

I suspect Lou will see how the cap goes, and make sure he has enough space for Zajac, and Clarkson next year. It's a typical Lou move. Just like how he brought back Arnott in 2010 by trading Halischuk, and whatever round pick. Hopefully we could get him that cheap too if we're gonna. I wonder if the jerseys would read S. Gionta, and B. Gionta?

Old
11-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Dubnyk isn't bad, but couldn't we do better than him if we're shopping for a goalie? He doesn't scream "money goalie" to me.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

I just took a stroll through the ECF game 6 GDT with Henrique's OT goal playing in the background. Good times. Good times.

AZNDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNDevil View Post
I just took a stroll through the ECF game 6 GDT with Henrique's OT goal playing in the background. Good times. Good times.
Every now and then I read through it too, just for kicks. After Henrique's goal there's like five pages of just wild screaming, then the party really starts.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:48 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Every now and then I read through it too, just for kicks. After Henrique's goal there's like five pages of just wild screaming, then the party really starts.
Don't forget the sprinkling of other teams' posters wishing us luck in the Finals. I get an equal kick out of reading the Rangers GDT from game 6 too, or game 5 when Carter scored the go ahead goal.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Nick0930

That Henrique goal is addicting. I could watch it all day.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

That Carter goal was almost as awesome as Friesen in game 7 ECF 03, or Patty's in game 7 ECF 00. Both of those goals came in the last few minutes of those games in regulation too. The only reason it isn't quite on par with those is cause it wasn't an elimination game. Carter to Lundqvist was like Matt Gilroy to Marty!

The Henrique goal in game 4 of the SCF late in the game was a big one too. Not to sound like sour grapes, and Quick is a great goalie, and I'm excited for him to be on our team in 2014(No more Ryan Miller from here on out. Best days are behind him, and he's been known to fall asleep the last two years) he may have beat Vancouver mostly all by himself Quick. I just feel we didn't challenge him enough. He would spit out a rebound, and the defenseman would clear it.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
That Henrique goal is addicting. I could watch it all day.
Obligatory:

I post this video any chance I get.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:02 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

The 4th line was so huge for the Devils. Gionta had multiple big hits throughout the playoffs, not to mention their ability to get big, crucial goals.

Last edited by AZNDevil: 11-07-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old
11-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNDevil View Post
He's shown his flashes of greatness. But what other goalies are out there? I'd say poach one from STL but they'd never give 'em up