HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
11-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Deboer would not have them in the playoffs at all. He even called up Sestito over them. I figured if he really wanted them around he could have at least played Janssen for one game who was on our roster, over Sestito who did not end the season on our roster.
He doesn't want them in the playoffs, of course, but he does like having them around during the season. Sometimes you need that extra protection in the lineup, and the wear and tear can put some of the regulars out and require a reserve player to come in to spell them.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He doesn't want them in the playoffs, of course, but he does like having them around during the season. Sometimes you need that extra protection in the lineup, and the wear and tear can put some of the regulars out and require a reserve player to come in to spell them.
I can see the need for them in some games. I really don't want CBGB split up. As I've pointed out though this is the ONLY line from the playoffs we have the ability to keep fully intact going into whenever we have a season again. With Parise, and Poni gone, and possibly Sykora. Not to mention that was our most consistent line scoring wise, and was never really broken up aside from the game Kovy missed, and the game Carter missed.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Is there really a need for two of them? I could care less if we carried Janssen/Barch around for certain games, but there's times last year where they played over guys that probably would've offered a lot more in the game like Sestito, etc. I'd much rather see a guy like Sestito in most games than Janssen/Barch, at least Sestito brings some energy and he might actually be able to contribute something.

Hell, call someone up like Matt Anderson or something like that. We really only need one guy to play in certain games against certain players to keep them in check like Rinaldo, even then, Boulton and Janssen seemed like they never fought guys like Rinaldo they just fought for their own personal vendettas.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Is there really a need for two of them? I could care less if we carried Janssen/Barch around for certain games, but there's times last year where they played over guys that probably would've offered a lot more in the game like Sestito, etc. I'd much rather see a guy like Sestito in most games than Janssen/Barch, at least Sestito brings some energy and he might actually be able to contribute something.

Hell, call someone up like Matt Anderson or something like that. We really only need one guy to play in certain games against certain players to keep them in check like Rinaldo, even then, Boulton and Janssen seemed like they never fought guys like Rinaldo they just fought for their own personal vendettas.
Agreed we really don't need two. I understand having two in the organization, but if one(Boulton or Barch) has a one way contract, and Janssen has a two way, why do we need both up? If the one way guy gets hurt, then we can bring up the two way guy Cam.

I still don't know why Lou even gave Cam a two way in the first place. We know he won't see the AHL. I mean hell he isn't even seeing the AHL right now, and it's not like there's a demand for him to play anywhere else. Lou gave Harrold a one way, Cam a two way, but Cam may as well have a one way. Cam is a great guy, but an awful player. However he did bring more energy than Boulton who sucked night in, night out last year.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:05 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post

I hope DeBoer can influence Lou to round out the bottom 6 to look a little more like Bernier, Zubrus, Carter, Poni than the Janssens and Boultons of the hockey world.

There are already guys that not only play physical, but have dropped the gloves for their teammates without being inept defensive liabilities.

Having Janssen and Boulton lace up the skates is fun for a handful of Devils/Rangers game, but the novelty wears off quickly in such a tightly contested division.

Keep Janssen in the pressbox for the year and bring him out every now and then and the crowd (myself included) will eat it up.... but like you said, we're wasting too many roster spots keeping a pair of goons around.

I keep being reassured by others that Barch can actually play hockey, though.
Crossing my fingers that his best hockey can be pulled out of him over the duration of his contract (if Lou doesn't go apocalyptic on him and his twitter once the lockout ends).

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I hate these union loyalists. I love that at least Marty while not criticizing the union isn't touting about how much he believes in Fehr like Clarkson, Salvador, and Hedberg have. He also gave the union the middle finger back in 06 when they came down on him for accepting a cheap deal among elite goaltenders on his last contract.

We need a season. Marty was really bad in the first half of 05/06. I'd say maybe even worse than the first half of last year although many wouldn't agree with me. He somehow got a Vezina nomination out of that year, but I think it was because he came close to 40 wins. We need him not too rusty. Same with aging vets like Patty. I don't see him really playing anywhere unless it's announced the season is cancelled.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:28 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Everybody needs to win in these negotiations.
Players, owners, everybody.

If these negotiations don't successfully map out a financial plan that benefits low revenue teams, appeases high revenue teams and don't make the players feel like they have to bend over and take it everytime a CBA expires.... then we're doomed to sit through a lockout every time the league is up for a new agreement.

I want hockey back as soon as possible, and I had hoped they were all smart enough to figure out how to get this done fairly long before we hit this point... but at this point, all I want is a win-win-win CBA so we don't have to put up with this **** every few years.

The owners need to ask for less and the players need to bend a little more.
Until they find that happy medium, until both sides feel that they got what they wanted.... I don't want anyone signing a god damned thing.

I say this still feeling like a season can be played, though. I don't think we're too far off track..... I could be proven wrong again.

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I hope DeBoer can influence Lou to round out the bottom 6 to look a little more like Bernier, Zubrus, Carter, Poni than the Janssens and Boultons of the hockey world.
Because a Poni, and a Zubrusaur costs over twice or three times as much as a goon, and Lou likes to be able to get the goons for the cheap. Okay well I guess Bernier, and Carter came cheap.

I miss Poni. I gave him a hard time when he missed an OT goal chance against the Flyers in game 1, and had an empty net in game 6 vs the Panthers, but shot it into Clemmy's pad.

Can we have him back? Career minor leaguer + 3rd round pick to Winnipeg? I'd do that trade again. That was one of the best trades in years. Blows our yearly second half/deadline trades for crappy D men(Klee, Havelid, Skoula) out of the water easily.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I can see the need for them in some games. I really don't want CBGB split up. As I've pointed out though this is the ONLY line from the playoffs we have the ability to keep fully intact going into whenever we have a season again. With Parise, and Poni gone, and possibly Sykora. Not to mention that was our most consistent line scoring wise, and was never really broken up aside from the game Kovy missed, and the game Carter missed.
They won't be split up. For the most part they will play together regularly. But they will have games where one of them doesn't play and a goon is inserted into the lineup instead, and that's fine.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:46 AM
downtown56

Marty joined the twitter universe

@abrodeur30: Give the old man a follow @vezstanley #twitterrookie

downtown56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown56 View Post

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:53 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Oh noes, the NHL's really doomed now...

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:

Wow, This Lockout is out of control
3 Devils players now have Twitter

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:58 AM
EliasFTW

Quote:

@abrodeur30: Give the old man a follow @vezstanleyvezstanleyvezstanleyvez #twitterrookie
Fixed

EliasFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:09 PM
MadDevil

Quote:
They won't be split up. For the most part they will play together regularly. But they will have games where one of them doesn't play and a goon is inserted into the lineup instead, and that's fine.
That's assuming that line is for real and wasn't lightning in a bottle. I love all three guys on that line, but who knows if they'll have the same chemistry after all the time they've had off.

I just don't get why people get so upset over signing a veteran enforcer to a whopping $750,000 a year contract. He's not hurting the cap, he can step in if somebody gets injured or they need some extra muscle, he seems like he's a good guy in the locker room. What's the big deal?

MadDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:15 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:

Is that real?

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Richer's Ghost
Pickle Pops?

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasFTW View Post
Fixed

Cute.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Is that real?
Well his son tweeted it, so I would say Yes

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
selyar
Need cupcakes?

or he's just trolling us all

selyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:17 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

lol Maybe he just made it so people know that's his official account, but will never use it like Salvador does.

AZNDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Marty needs a funny account like Luongo's. Or maybe he can compete with Barch on who has the biggest mouth, and who can say the dumbest things?

Old
11-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

I want Lou to sign Afinogenov.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Marty getting involved with social media could be great especially if he is serious about a front office job after retirement.

also

Former Devils Sergei Brylin, John MacLean to skate in Sandy relief game http://nj-ne.ws/ZuV0Dl

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I bet you had to dig deep to find that pic. Great fit!

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
I want Lou to sign Afinogenov.
Haha wait until Rhodes sees this! We had a discussion about him a while back.

I kinda want him to trade for Tikhonov. On the main board they said we could probably trade him straight up Tedenby.