HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regier, Sabres' coaches turn focus toward AHL and Amerks

Old
09-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Regier, Sabres' coaches turn focus toward AHL and Amerks

Quote:
“I’m hopeful that they look for the opportunity inside of this,” Regier said. “They’re going to be able to continue learning and playing, and the bulk of the players won’t have that same opportunity. It should give them a leg up, and it should allow them to continue developing and learning and working."

Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was a regular in Rochester during the 2004-05 lockout, attending practices and games to get a feel for the players who’d eventually be on his team. Amerks coach Ron Rolston can expect similar visits.

Lindy and his staff will be helping Ron and his staff,” Regier said. “They’ve already had some meetings."
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...nd-amerks.html

I remember Cunneyworth raving about the help it gave the Amerks-on-verge-of-becoming-Sabres in 2004-05 to have the Sabres always present in Rochester - and we saw how many Amerks made the Sabres' camp as rookies after the lockout.

Whether or not Ruff is the best influence for the prospects is open for debate....I'm curious to read how the Rolston-Ruff relationship goes and when the Amerks fill the spot vacated when they fired McKee.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Blue n Gold Forever

I do not believe they intend to replace McKee. Such "vacancies" are not always automatically refilled unless there is a perceived need to do so.

Blue n Gold Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Blue n Gold Forever

On the Amerks/player development side of things - I am looking forward to heading over to Rochester to see a few games.

Dinosaur barbecue, Genesee Brewhouse, Hockey game. Nice weekend!

Blue n Gold Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:15 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Related note: My friend is a chef at Dinosaur in Rochester and said that a full contingent of Sabres management were eating lunch there today. Apparently they had just come from Blue Cross Arena.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:16 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Related note: My friend is a chef at Dinosaur in Rochester and said that a full contingent of Sabres management were eating lunch there today. Apparently they had just come from Blue Cross Arena.
they are basically right next door

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 06:02 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue n Gold Forever View Post
I do not believe they intend to replace McKee. Such "vacancies" are not always automatically refilled unless there is a perceived need to do so.
I'm guessing that they might promote from within and put Chris Taylor on the bench.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I'm guessing that they might promote from within and put Chris Taylor on the bench.
IIRC, one of McKee's roles when he was hired was to work with the defensemen group, based on personal experience. Based on the long-time theory that many NHL coaches/execs acknowledge that it takes goalies and defensemen the longest to develop, I would think that specific tutelage is important to replace.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:19 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
IIRC, one of McKee's roles when he was hired was to work with the defensemen group, based on personal experience. Based on the long-time theory that many NHL coaches/execs acknowledge that it takes goalies and defensemen the longest to develop, I would think that specific tutelage is important to replace.
IIRC, McKee ran the forwards on the bench during games.

Perhaps they promote Tails to an Asst Coach and add a new "Defenseman Development Coach" that is basically the replacement for McKee at practice.

Jeep or Teppo can do it during the lockout.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:21 AM
sabrefan27

Chad Cassidy is also an assistant. The defensemen seemed to struggle a lot last season, but I'm not sure how much of that has to do with McKee.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Sabretip

Some more tidbits on Ruff's and his staff's involvement in Rochester:

Quote:
Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff and his assistants — James Patrick, Kevyn Adams and Teppo Numminen — don’t have their own team to coach so, starting Friday, they periodically will be helping out with the Amerks.
Quote:
“Marcus (Foligno), Luke (Adam), Cody Hodgson, you want to spend time with them,” Ruff said, “and we want to evaluate the young guys, too; guys like (Jerome) Gauthier-Leduc and (Mark) Pysyk.” At the same time, Ruff said he doesn’t want to be intruding on what Amerks coach Ron Rolston and assistants Chadd Cassidy and Chris Taylor are doing.

“There’s a fine line, there is,” Ruff admitted. “As I told Ron yesterday, ‘It’s your camp, it’s your team. You set it up the way you want.’ ”
Quote:
“Being around the team gave me a real appreciation for what those players can do,” Ruff said. “There’s nothing like getting on the ice and being able to evaluate guys. For me, it was invaluable.”

He may spend less time here during the current lockout and allow his assistants to do skill-development work in practice.

“Every player has a gift and they also have areas to improve,” Ruff said. “You like to concentrate on the gift but you also like to bump up the areas that need work.”
Seems Taylor will take over McKee's duties in some way.....

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ORTS/309270060

Old
10-01-2012, 11:13 AM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Quote:
“Being around the team gave me a real appreciation for what those players can do,” Ruff said. “There’s nothing like getting on the ice and being able to evaluate guys. For me, it was invaluable.”
I posted about this advantage in another thread but Lindy and co spending time in Rochester is invaluable. Many other teams are much further away and this sort of thing is much less practical. On the east coast many teams are close, but on the west coast that is not the case nearly as much. For example, the Avs farm team is Erie.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeNightmare View Post
I posted about this advantage in another thread but Lindy and co spending time in Rochester is invaluable. Many other teams are much further away and this sort of thing is much less practical. On the east coast many teams are close, but on the west coast that is not the case nearly as much. For example, the Avs farm team is Erie.
As long as Ruff doesn't ruin them all before they even become rookies.
For real though, this will be a great year for Rolston to really wow us with what he can do with the kids. He'll have plenty on his plate between hopefully getting Adam back on track, helping Girgs, Pysyk, JGL, and Sundher adjust to the pro game, and polishing up guys like McNabb, Hodgson, Tropp, and Foligno. If he, his coaching staff, and Ruff do their job well, it could pay huge dividends for Buffalo in the future.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:48 AM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
On the Amerks/player development side of things - I am looking forward to heading over to Rochester to see a few games.

Dinosaur barbecue, Genesee Brewhouse, Hockey game. Nice weekend!
That's my plan but I haven't yet and will have to check out Genesee Brewhouse.

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:55 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuteater View Post
That's my plan but I haven't yet and will have to check out Genesee Brewhouse.
Speaking of the brewhouse, I went this weekend and it's a really cool spot. The outdoor patio and rooftop offers a great view of high falls and the city. Beer is reasonably priced and the downstairs museum is cool to browse.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

This is cool, gotta take advantage of this.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:51 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeNightmare View Post
I posted about this advantage in another thread but Lindy and co spending time in Rochester is invaluable.
Sure is, now he has extra time to ruin those guys that he might have missed out on this year.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:04 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Sure is, now he has extra time to ruin those guys that he might have missed out on this year.
What a fresh new look! What optimism!

:

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote