HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

so long Chris McGowan

Old
10-29-2012, 11:29 PM
onlyalad

vCash: 500
so long Chris McGowan

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...eo_regard.html

Got a gig with the NBA

If you every met him you know is was a nice guy. Always willing to talk with fans and did not hide behind cliches.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
McGowan has worked with AEG since 1996, most recently as the chief operating officer of the newly created sports division AEG Sports, for which he oversaw the business operations of the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings and MLS’ Los Angeles Galaxy. He was elevated to that position after a successful stint as chief operating officer of the Kings, during which he did the impossible: Sell the Kings — and hockey — to Los Angeles.

McGowan went about that seemingly impossible task by overhauling the sales and service operations of the Kings and making them more fan-friendly. He placed an emphasis on expanding the fan base and spreading the Kings brand so that when the talent of the team improved, the infrastructure was in place to pounce on the opportunity for growth.

Before McGowan took over business operations in Los Angeles, the Kings were a middling franchise devoid of a passionate fan base. Last season, they won the Stanley Cup.

Really?

I mean, this guy should be embarrassed at this write-up.

I really didn't know the Kings had no passionate fans until this guy showed up.

If you are going to write a puff piece with these kind of accolades, then why not go all the way: and say this guy suited up and scored the OT goal in game 1. I mean, after all, give Kopitar a shave and comb his hair and McGowan can pass for him.

Jesus, I need to wash my hands thoroughly after reading that article. Sheesh.

10-30-2012, 10:59 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Agree Ron, that's some pretty ignorant comments to a fan.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:10 PM
onlyalad

Yeah the write up is selling the guy to the Blazer fans and I am sure it is over the top. He did a lot of things to sell the Kings. Some good (Hockey Fest, beer garden at LA Live) some questionable (local band nights. , Armenian nights) but he was willing to try. Just the few times I spoke with him at events he was looking for honest opinions about what to do to get people talking about the Kings. Not an easy thing to do in a market that talks more about NFL even though there is no team in LA

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
Yeah the write up is selling the guy to the Blazer fans and I am sure it is over the top. He did a lot of things to sell the Kings. Some good (Hockey Fest, beer garden at LA Live) some questionable (local band nights. , Armenian nights) but he was willing to try. Just the few times I spoke with him at events he was looking for honest opinions about what to do to get people talking about the Kings. Not an easy thing to do in a market that talks more about NFL even though there is no team in LA
I hear you, and I can appreciate the guy doing some new things...and I am sure he wasn't behind the write-up.

I was just commenting on the absurdity of the article. And the writer.

Perpetuating the myth.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote