HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort - Gamer Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
It wasn't too bad.
Lindsay Lohan is still relatively normal, Amy Poehler was very funny, and it put Tina Fey on the movie making map.
In addition, the film gave mainstream exposure to Rachael McAdams and Amanda Seyfried, which led to bigger things for both of them.

It has a lot more depth than other teen movies at the time, and it takes a swipe at high school popularity and bullying.
Not the best film in the world, but certainly not the worst.
Every line is freakin' quotable though, I'd have to say.

I'll never be able to see Amanda Seyfried as Cosette without thinking of Karen though.

Old
09-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
I actually think decriminalization is the first step towards legalization.
While a decriminalized act is not encouraged, cops and other law enforcement agencies virtually turns a blind eye towards that act.
There is nothing to stop the act except the stigma attached towards it, and the opinion of people.

This is a time when I wish Wetcoaster is back.
He can give us a clearer explanation.
Yeah, Wetcoaster would give us a more experienced perspective, I'm fairly young (read: sparcely educated) but I don't see how decriminalization doesn't help toward bettering our society. Personally, (against just from my perspective) alcohol has the same ups and downs and it is more legal. Pot is under-enforced in Canada compared to America, but some of my friends have been dinged with possession and it's not a fun procedure.

Again from a personal standpoint, I don't agree with the war on drugs at all, I think it's a waste of taxpayer's money for otherwise mostly victimless crimes and for now I remain on keeping my stance on this issue clear: it worsens the criminal justice by keeping (most) drugs on the street illegal. I feel I have many justified opinions for this reason that are very logical from a ethical standpoint that parliament may disagree with for economical reasons and that's OK. I can't say I know more than they do but I do have my right to an opinion and I feel that opinion is backed-up by facts.

I wish more people could see it as I do, but I think (sometimes) parliament has the best in mind for the most people. And most people don't have it as well off as I do. I am very fortunate to be in my situation and I could never say I have ever experienced any inner-city situations as I do live in a very nice part of town.

That said, in my experiences pot as well as other illegal substances have proven a very good therapeutic experience for a lot of people I know and are very comparable to alcohol and tobacco (two extremely legal substances with long-term repercussions that have proven to be unhealthy for consumers). If those are legal why not pot? Robitussin is legal, yet people use it recreationally a lot. At least for people with epilepsy, alcohol and Robitussin are much more lethal than pot is. Something doesn't add for me here.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Currently learning:

Little Bones
Courage
Darkest One
Poets
Go For a Soda
Limelight
Fly by Night
Discovery
Closing Time
Wonderwall
Day in the Life
Surfin'
99%

It's a shame you aren't coming to HF Shinny, I'd love to discuss Beach Boys/Beatles in person.
Quite the list so far

When I was first able to play A Day in the Life I was beyond happy & didn't think I could be happier when it came to learning a song .... then I learned Imagine

Chords are awesome for learning numerous amounts of songs, they may not sound exactly like the album versions but they're good enough for a camp fire or just hanging out.

I'd love to come to this one but I don't live in Van anymore so getting my gear down to 8 Rinks would be a huge hassle. Hopefully I can make it for the next one.

Quote:
It wasn't too bad.
Lindsay Lohan is still relatively normal, Amy Poehler was very funny, and it put Tina Fey on the movie making map.
In addition, the film gave mainstream exposure to Rachael McAdams and Amanda Seyfried, which led to bigger things for both of them.

It has a lot more depth than other teen movies at the time, and it takes a swipe at high school popularity and bullying.
Not the best film in the world, but certainly not the worst.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:49 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I just saw Mean Girls for the first time....

What the ****?!
Wow, really?! I loved that movie. I'd say it was one of the best "teen movies" (which I don't usually watch or care for).

My favourite line:

"I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee."

Old
09-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I thought Mean Girls was bloody hilarious. Did not think I'd like it at all, but it was a damn clever movie. And a somewhat sad reminder of how promising Lindsay Lohan was once upon a time.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:31 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I thought Mean Girls was bloody hilarious. Did not think I'd like it at all, but it was a damn clever movie. And a somewhat sad reminder of how promising Lindsay Lohan was once upon a time.
Agreed. Easy to think it's some dumb teen movie for airheads, but there's definitely adult humour present throughout.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

I'll jump on the Mean Girls bandwagon. It was a pretty good movie. Tina Fey is brilliant.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:42 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Then she made Baby Mama...
Oy...

Luckily she still had 30 Rock.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Is there a better comedy series right now than the League? Not to me.

Old
09-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Well, I've started taking up ice hockey at the ripe old age of 17. I've played some ball hockey in high school, but I've just started university and have taken a few one-on-one ice hockey lessons, and I've played in one pickup game(4-on-4 with no goalies). I wasn't even the only one lacing up for the first time, which is good, but I want to get some experience in a real game.

The only problem is that the rink at my university is booked solid for intra-mural hockey and such, but I'm nowhere near good enough at skating to play in a competitive league. There are a few pickup hockey times scheduled throughout the week, but only one that isn't at the same time as my classes. Would playing a pickup game like that once a week be enough to eventually improve myself so that I can be a decent player?

I suppose I should also probably take power skating lessons, as my inability to stop and turn quickly really hampers my ability to play defense(luckily my stickhandling skills are pretty decent from ball hockey, although my shot is terrible on the ice).

Any recommendations on how often I should try to play, and if games without goalies are good enough to practice for a couple of months?

Old
09-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Vankiller Whale: as a person that liked hockey later into my teens, get on the ice as often as possible. There is nothing like it. Be the best player you can be. Love the sport and appreciate the pros that play a very high level of it. It's not an easy sport, but if you love it you will become good at it.

Figz: I was once in your boat. I was frequently infracted and had to take emotion out of the situation and sometimes even needed to step back from the keyboard at times. I reccomend you do the same. Now when I see something I strongly disagree with, I take a deep breath, laugh and do something else.

Old
09-29-2012, 08:22 PM
KISSland

^ Free at last, free at last.

Bout to see my favorite artist live today!!

Old
09-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Anyone watch Doctor Who?

Old
09-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Just watched the pilot of Elementary. It feels pretty similar to Sherlock, in my opinion.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Mason10
Bacon

Quote:
Just watched the pilot of Elementary. It feels pretty similar to Sherlock, in my opinion.
isn't it supposed to be the US version of Sherlock?

Old
09-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason10 View Post
isn't it supposed to be the US version of Sherlock?
It is, but I like Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock more.

Maybe it's just my bias seeping through though. (HIS VOICE )

Old
09-30-2012, 12:56 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Currently learning:

Little Bones
Courage
Darkest One
Poets
Go For a Soda
Limelight
Fly by Night
Discovery
Closing Time
Wonderwall
Day in the Life
Surfin'
99%

It's a shame you aren't coming to HF Shinny, I'd love to discuss Beach Boys/Beatles in person.
If you're just learning, I recommend AC/DC, ZZ Top, The Cult (Electric or Love albums) or honestly, most anything you hear on the radio is easy as hell. AC/DC is something you can't go wrong with, or early Black Sabbath. Master of Reality is one of the best albums you can learn from, as well as being basically the perfect metal album ever recorded.

Play the White Stripes and I'll hate you forever. I'll even come down to hf shinny to kick your ass if you play the Black Keys.

Old
09-30-2012, 02:04 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
It is, but I like Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock more.

Maybe it's just my bias seeping through though. (HIS VOICE )
Sherlock is one of the best shows I've seen, period. I think Cumberbatch does a better job than Robert Downey Jr. did, too, and I really liked RDJ's work on it.

Moriarty in "Sherlock" is astoundingly awesome.

Old
09-30-2012, 04:09 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
If you're just learning, I recommend AC/DC, ZZ Top, The Cult (Electric or Love albums) or honestly, most anything you hear on the radio is easy as hell. AC/DC is something you can't go wrong with, or early Black Sabbath. Master of Reality is one of the best albums you can learn from, as well as being basically the perfect metal album ever recorded.

Play the White Stripes and I'll hate you forever. I'll even come down to hf shinny to kick your ass if you play the Black Keys.
You don't like White Stripes or Black Keys? Man, you must really hate pianos.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Sherlock is one of the best shows I've seen, period. I think Cumberbatch does a better job than Robert Downey Jr. did, too, and I really liked RDJ's work on it.

Moriarty in "Sherlock" is astoundingly awesome.
I'm kind of sad that the next season is the last one.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:34 PM
KISSland

What a great concert. Girls to guy ratio was like 3 to 1.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:57 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkCajKxd7PQ

Can we get this in the next NHL game?

Old
09-30-2012, 01:41 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
You don't like White Stripes or Black Keys? Man, you must really hate pianos.
I can't stand Jack White's voice, and I never really understood what the big deal is with the Black Keys. Every song I've heard of theirs sounds like the theme song to a 70's tv show. I suppose they'd be easy to play for a beginner, though.

Old
09-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I can't stand Jack White's voice, and I never really understood what the big deal is with the Black Keys. Every song I've heard of theirs sounds like the theme song to a 70's tv show. I suppose they'd be easy to play for a beginner, though.
I'm not a fan of the White Stripes, but I like the Black Keys. I don't play any of either band's stuff though.

Old
09-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkCajKxd7PQ

Can we get this in the next NHL game?
Haha awesome.

Closed Thread