HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort - Gamer Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Really? I've never had any problem with cigarette smoke in Vancouver. There is the occasionally smoker on the street, but then I just try to hold my breath until we have passed each other. There is the occasionally inconsiderate person at the busstop, but in my experience it was way less than in Denmark.
Around Seymour to Waterfront it's pretty bad. Every time I walk up Seymour it's like a wave of smelly cigarettes. Gastown isn't too bad for that actually. Around the Stadium and south of Waterfront is horrible though in my experiences.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:28 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 2178
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Smoking kills you, and the people around you. I honestly think smoking should be illegal.
Don't see how making it illegal would stop them. They're addicted, they're going to smoke regardless.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:44 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Don't see how making it illegal would stop them. They're addicted, they're going to smoke regardless.
Might cut down the number of smokers in 50-60 years, but could you imagine all the extra crime police would have to be enforcing? Just another thing the police would be wasting their time on. Smoking should be legal, but heavily enforced and cigarettes should be less readily available. It should be regulated as alcohol is and as cannabis should, but that's another story for another day.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:32 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

I hate that I get hassled more about my ID when buying smokes then when I buy booze.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:40 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Frankly i'm an on and off smoker and I dislike the smell of weed more but don't complain about pot smokers...

I do have to agree in some places the stupidity of smokers is ridiculous (many, many places in Europe...) but in Vancouver? Not that bad here.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:43 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

To be quite honest, the etiquettes of smokers here are not too bad...
I had been blown smoke on numerous times in Asia.

I just wish people would stop smoking at places where a lot of people gather, especially bus stops.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:48 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
To be quite honest, the etiquettes of smokers here are not too bad...
I had been blown smoke on numerous times in Asia.

I just wish people would stop smoking at places where a lot of people gather, especially bus stops.
Don't take buses but yes that is annoying, even as someone who smokes.

There's been maybe a handful of times in the last year where I was actually upset with where someone was smoking though. Grouse Grind was the worst lol.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:58 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Don't take buses but yes that is annoying, even as someone who smokes.
Lucky you.
Our transport system sucks, but it is something I can live with, especially when I travel downtown.

Quote:
There's been maybe a handful of times in the last year where I was actually upset with where someone was smoking though. Grouse Grind was the worst lol.
I can just imagine it, having a smoke when chugging along the path...
I don't know if I should be mad or impressed.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:04 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Anybody getting Halo 4?
Just put in my pre-order.

Btw, have anybody played the new Medal of Honor yet?
They have a pretty good trade in deal at EB, but the review looks crap.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Frankly i'm an on and off smoker and I dislike the smell of weed more but don't complain about pot smokers...

I do have to agree in some places the stupidity of smokers is ridiculous (many, many places in Europe...) but in Vancouver? Not that bad here.
To me it's not so much the smell compared to what is in the smoke. I mean, weed smoke and cigarette smoke both smell bad but only one is going to actually affect you long-term.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:45 PM
guest1467

The whole second hand smoke thing went from ignorance to ignorance on both sides of the spectrum.

Second-hand smoke is bad for you; but this is only when you are exposed to it in closed areas consistently.

Breathing in a whiff of second-hand smoke is the equivalent to walking down the sidewalk of a busy street for 10 minutes with regards to air quality.

Complaining about getting a little smoke in your nostrils while on the street because you are afraid of health reasons is asinine.

I bet there are about half a dozen things you breathe in throughout the day that are equivalent or even worse than a whiff of cigarette smoke in open air.

I mean do you get mad at campers when they have a campfire? Do you get mad at people driving down the street you are walking on? Do you curse at your wife for using hairspray in the bathroom? Do you get mad at someone firing up their lawnmower while you are outside?

Old
10-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
The whole second hand smoke thing went from ignorance to ignorance on both sides of the spectrum.

Second-hand smoke is bad for you; but this is only when you are exposed to it in closed areas consistently.

Breathing in a whiff of second-hand smoke is the equivalent to walking down the sidewalk of a busy street for 10 minutes with regards to air quality.

Complaining about getting a little smoke in your nostrils while on the street because you are afraid of health reasons is asinine.

I bet there are about half a dozen things you breathe in throughout the day that are equivalent or even worse than a whiff of cigarette smoke in open air.

I mean do you get mad at campers when they have a campfire? Do you get mad at people driving down the street you are walking on? Do you curse at your wife for using hairspray in the bathroom? Do you get mad at someone firing up their lawnmower while you are outside?
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv...shs-fs-eng.php

Quote:
Each year in Canada, second-hand smoke causes the death of at least 800 non-smokers, due to lung cancer and heart disease.
I think I'll take the Government's word for it over random HF poster that second hand smoke isn't a big deal.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:45 PM
guest1467

Nice logic fail.

That says nothing about what conditions these people we submitting themselves to.

In fact, the article specifically points to reducing your risk by, wait for it, keeping your house and car smoke free (ie closed areas).

Old
10-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Jevo

Taking the skytrain home after work this afternoon (just after 8), my only question is. Why is everyone going to Richmond? No offense to Richmond, but if you are looking to hook up and listen to ****** music, why leave downtown when Granville Street is right there?

Old
10-26-2012, 10:51 PM
keslerburrows

So at a local BCHL game right now. Steve Tambelini is sitting right behind me. Yes GM for the Oilers. Turns out his son plays for the Vernon Vipers, my local team. Pretty cool, got a pic

Old
10-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Nice logic fail.

That says nothing about what conditions these people we submitting themselves to.

In fact, the article specifically points to reducing your risk by, wait for it, keeping your house and car smoke free (ie closed areas).
Obviously since smoking is legal the best anyone can do is keep their house and car smoke free. The fact is second-hand smoking is dangerous. Would drinking and driving be ethical if you're only slightly tipsy? After all, the vast majority of accidents occur from people who are completely drunk, right?

Old
10-26-2012, 11:24 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Obviously since smoking is legal the best anyone can do is keep their house and car smoke free. The fact is second-hand smoking is dangerous. Would drinking and driving be ethical if you're only slightly tipsy? After all, the vast majority of accidents occur from people who are completely drunk, right?
No. Second-hand smoking is dangerous only in poorly ventilated areas or within enclosed spaces. And it will only result in adverse health conditions if you submit yourself to these situations regularly. This is why smoking indoors is banned.

Breathing in a whiff of cigarette smoke outdoors has virtually negligible health effects for an adult.

I don't understand your analogy.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
No. Second-hand smoking is dangerous only in poorly ventilated areas or within enclosed spaces. And it will only result in adverse health conditions if you submit yourself to these situations regularly. This is why smoking indoors is banned.

Breathing in a whiff of cigarette smoke outdoors has virtually negligible health effects for an adult.
Even if it is, clearly most people don't enjoy breathing in smoke, and I would suspect it is common curtesy to not smoke around non-smokers.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:29 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Even if it is, clearly most people don't enjoy breathing in smoke, and I would suspect it is common curtesy to not smoke around non-smokers.
I also expect it to be common courtesy to not spit in front of me, talk on your cellphone iloudly, pay attention to others walking around you, cough without covering your mouth, make a mess in public washrooms, stare at me, ect.

The key here is tolerance. If these types of things bug you; then you need to reassess if your life is fulfilling enough.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
I also expect it to be common courtesy to not spit in front of me, talk on your cellphone iloudly, pay attention to others walking around you, cough without covering your mouth, make a mess in public washrooms, stare at me, ect.

The key here is tolerance. If these types of things bug you; then you need to reassess if your life is fulfilling enough.
They do bug me. Why should people feel justified in doing stuff like that? Just because it's legal, doesn't mean you should do that.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:

I don't understand your analogy.
If something is known to be harmful, it shouldn't be encouraged. Even if the effect in small doses is negligible in some cases, there are far too many other factors in play. At a bus station, for example. Or if any young children happen to be nearby. Or the casual display of smoking to impressionable persons who then decide they might want to try it themselves.

Some people are addicted to smoking, and it's not neccessarily their fault. But the cost of them simply going to a private area to smoke rather than in public is miniscule compared to the amount of long-term benefit to society.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:55 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
They do bug me. Why should people feel justified in doing stuff like that? Just because it's legal, doesn't mean you should do that.
Because the world isn't like that? There is something ironic about living in an individualistic society and expecting societal norms to quell things you do not like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If something is known to be harmful, it shouldn't be encouraged. Even if the effect in small doses is negligible in some cases, there are far too many other factors in play. At a bus station, for example. Or if any young children happen to be nearby. Or the casual display of smoking to impressionable persons who then decide they might want to try it themselves.

Some people are addicted to smoking, and it's not neccessarily their fault. But the cost of them simply going to a private area to smoke rather than in public is miniscule compared to the amount of long-term benefit to society.
Notice I am not 'encouraging' anything.

I am sorry, but I see countless behaviours of people that have far more detrimental long-term costs to society than smoking in public that get no irrational hate.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Notice I am not 'encouraging' anything.

I am sorry, but I see countless behaviours of people that have far more detrimental long-term costs to society than smoking in public that get no irrational hate.
Just because people show an irrational lack of hatred towards one thing doesn't mean it's irrational to hate another.

What did you have in mind, anyways?

Old
10-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Because the world isn't like that? There is something ironic about living in an individualistic society and expecting societal norms to quell things you do not like.
Why should I be content with people smoking and making me stand in their smoke? If they want to go smoke themselves to death, they can do that without interfering with my life. There are limitations to freedoms, which is why public smoking is banned in a lot of places (indoors, parks, within 10 (?) meters of a window). Just like one wouldn't go drink in public, I don't think smoking should be allowed in public spaces either.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:20 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Nothing against smokers, but I just prefer if they don't smoke at bus stops.
It is one public place I wish they would stop smoking at.

I am ok if they smoke on the street...
I will just walk past them.
It is just not fair if I have to breathe second hand smoke when I am waiting for the bus.
There is nowhere else for me to go.

Closed Thread