Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 05:20 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Mankato on a pretty good run right now. 6-3 win in Omaha last night.
7 wins in a row and have a chance to be in first place tonight. Was curious to see how they would respond to playing a better opponent than Minnesota State was used to over the last three weeks. So far, so good.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
12-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

It seems they've found themselves a goalie, Williams is on fire and he's only a freshman.

Old
12-15-2012, 05:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
It seems they've found themselves a goalie, Williams is on fire and he's only a freshman.
Yeah, crazy that Minnesota State gave up 3 goals last night and it almost matched the total opponents had scored during the prior six games.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Hastings has done a pretty impressive job so far. I've been loosely following MInnesota State for awhile now and it's cool to see them progressing from where they were with Jutting. Hope they can keep it up and drum up some more interest in hockey down in Mankato.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Denver looks like a team lost right now - they're down 3-0 to Bemidji State in the second and have let the Beavers run rampant on the PP.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:28 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Hastings has done a pretty impressive job so far. I've been loosely following MInnesota State for awhile now and it's cool to see them progressing from where they were with Jutting. Hope they can keep it up and drum up some more interest in hockey down in Mankato.
I have tons of friends going to school in Mankato right now. From what I've heard, and from what I've seen, 90% of hockey fans over there are Gophers fans. There are a ton of hockey fans there, but just not for the Mavs.

Their high school teams are brutal though. That can't help much. I think it was West that had that Finnish kid two years ago that just donged on everybody in their super-weak schedule. Before that and since, both east and west have been pretty bad.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

5-1 Bemidji State over Denver after two. This is just a bad performance by a team hitting rock bottom.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I have tons of friends going to school in Mankato right now. From what I've heard, and from what I've seen, 90% of hockey fans over there are Gophers fans. There are a ton of hockey fans there, but just not for the Mavs.

Their high school teams are brutal though. That can't help much. I think it was West that had that Finnish kid two years ago that just donged on everybody in their super-weak schedule. Before that and since, both east and west have been pretty bad.
At the University there are some solid hockey fans, but the Mankato community itself is pretty entrenched in their love of football/basketball/baseball. It's getting better, but like I said, hopefully a competitive Minnesota State team helps bring in some new fans to the sport.

You're right about the HS teams too. If they could get more kids playing hockey the prep teams could eventually get more competitive as well.

Last edited by Engebretson: 12-15-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old
12-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
5-1 Bemidji State over Denver after two. This is just a bad performance by a team hitting rock bottom.
BSU fans chanting "overrated!" At the end of the game too. Talk about salt in the wound!

Old
12-15-2012, 09:38 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

St. Cloud State sweeps Colorado College this weekend - bad weekend overall for the Colorado schools.

Quote:
BSU fans chanting "overrated!" At the end of the game too. Talk about salt in the wound!

Old
12-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Well there goes that Minnesota State winning streak as they drop a 5-1 deuce in Omaha. Hope they get back on their game after the holiday break.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Now that we are half way through the college hockey season which freshman are impressing you guys the most for your team and in general? I don't get to see many college games anymore since I moved from Wisconsin

For me personally I think Nic Kerdiles has had a HUGE impact on the badgers.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
Now that we are half way through the college hockey season which freshman are impressing you guys the most for your team and in general? I don't get to see many college games anymore since I moved from Wisconsin

For me personally I think Nic Kerdiles has had a HUGE impact on the badgers.
Mike Rielly's puck skills and skating.

Last edited by Dr Jan Itor: 12-18-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old
12-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Isackson is a Soph, I think for the Gophs it would have to be Wilcox though, probably the the team MVP at this point. From the WCHA I would say Tony Cameranesi, Andy Welinski and Austin Farley have been huge for UMD, Stephon Williams has been stealing games for Mankato, Kalle Kossilla leads SCSU in goals and Rocco (if we count him) has been picking it up for the Sioux.

Elsewhere, Jacob Trouba has been as good as expected for Michigan, Riley Barber has 22 points already and leads Miami in scoring, Jon Gillies has been a rock in net for Providence, Kevin Roy has continued the momentum from his record breaking USHL season last year and is playing great for Northeastern, Michael Matheson has contributed quite a bit for BC, and Mario Lucia has been a beast since his return from injury.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 539
SCSU's entire freshman class has been impressive and we haven't even seen Benik yet.

Old
12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Isackson is a Soph, I think for the Gophs it would have to be Wilcox though, probably the the team MVP at this point. From the WCHA I would say Tony Cameranesi, Andy Welinski and Austin Farley have been huge for UMD, Stephon Williams has been stealing games for Mankato, Kalle Kossilla leads SCSU in goals and Rocco (if we count him) has been picking it up for the Sioux.

Elsewhere, Jacob Trouba has been as good as expected for Michigan, Riley Barber has 22 points already and leads Miami in scoring, Jon Gillies has been a rock in net for Providence, Kevin Roy has continued the momentum from his record breaking USHL season last year and is playing great for Northeastern, Michael Matheson has contributed quite a bit for BC, and Mario Lucia has been a beast since his return from injury.
It's hard to count Grimaldi (or David Morley for that matter) outside of a technicality.

Another impressive that hasn't been mentioned individually is Johnny Brodzinski for St. Cloud.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
It's hard to count Grimaldi (or David Morley for that matter) outside of a technicality.

Another impressive that hasn't been mentioned individually is Johnny Brodzinski for St. Cloud.
It's not hard at all, they were injured, they red-shirted, they're freshmen.
And yes Brodz has been very impressive. Wasn't expecting this out of him after watching him in Fargo for 2 years.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:34 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I saw Rocco Grimaldi score and Tebow with my own eyes last year. Just sayin'.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
So, I'm looking into buying tickets for the Mariucci Classic (29-30) as a Christmas present. Looks like the only tickets available are *SRO2. I'm looking for some insight as I've never been to a game at Mariucci. How do standing room only tickets work? I'm assuming we should get there early.

*Also, what does the 2 mean?

Old
12-19-2012, 03:54 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
So, I'm looking into buying tickets for the Mariucci Classic (29-30) as a Christmas present. Looks like the only tickets available are *SRO2. I'm looking for some insight as I've never been to a game at Mariucci. How do standing room only tickets work? I'm assuming we should get there early.

*Also, what does the 2 mean?
Technically you stand behind section 2, which is at one of the ends (where Minnesota shoots once). There are slots behind the last row of seats. In reality, the Classic won't be sold out and you can probably find an open seat.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
I saw Rocco Grimaldi score and Tebow with my own eyes last year. Just sayin'.
And you can redshirt with less than 25% of games played. It's how we got LeBlanc back. But Morley didn't play a second last season with post-concussion.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
In reality, the Classic won't be sold out and you can probably find an open seat.
Even for BC? I was planning on going one of the nights but I was leaning towards Air Force because I figured there'd be a better chance of getting a seat.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:22 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
And you can redshirt with less than 25% of games played. It's how we got LeBlanc back. But Morley didn't play a second last season with post-concussion.
And you can technically be a redshirt freshman and have someone else not put them on the same level as a true freshman.

Quote:
Even for BC? I was planning on going one of the nights but I was leaning towards Air Force because I figured there'd be a better chance of getting a seat.
Air Force definitely. BC might be tougher but historically there have been empty seats even for the Gopher games. It's going to be sad that Jerry York sets the NCAA All-Time wins record in front of 50 people.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:51 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Solid recruiting week for UND with the MN kids. Wonder if the current and incoming talent at the UofMN is leading to these guys thinking they have a tougher hill to climb.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
12-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Poganski surprised me a little but Gersich really caught me off guard, I fully expected him to be a Gopher.

Closed Thread