HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Goalie Busts and Surprises

Old
09-23-2012, 12:38 PM
whatname

vCash: 500
It's pretty much easier to name the goalie prospects that lived up to expectations, and then the remaining starting goalies would be surprises.

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Grinder89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think if NHL playing styles had continued on as they had in the 1980s, Trevor Kidd would have been a revelation: given his size and athleticism, he looked like a beast against those scrawny terrible goalies of the past. But he really didn't seem to have a temperament to get over the psychological pressures in the net and his ability to read the play was terrible.

Tim Thomas came out of nowhere and just became a superstar, building on his game year after year. I think he was just a minor league body they pulled out of Europe and Hannu Toivonen and Andrew Raycroft were supposed to be the futures in Boston's net.
Theo Fleury said it best about Kidd in his book "Playing With Fire". Basically Kidd had a ton of talent but did not put in the effort with conditioning and nutrition.

Grinder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think if NHL playing styles had continued on as they had in the 1980s, Trevor Kidd would have been a revelation: given his size and athleticism, he looked like a beast against those scrawny terrible goalies of the past. But he really didn't seem to have a temperament to get over the psychological pressures in the net and his ability to read the play was terrible.

Tim Thomas came out of nowhere and just became a superstar, building on his game year after year. I think he was just a minor league body they pulled out of Europe and Hannu Toivonen and Andrew Raycroft were supposed to be the futures in Boston's net.
What's funny is, from the moment I saw Tim Thomas in 2002-03 I did not understand why Boston did not keep playing him.

He might not have had the best GAA and Save % in those few games, but anyone who watched him could see how well he was playing even then.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote