HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Dream matches that never happened: who do you wish fought? When? Who would've won?

Old
09-19-2012, 01:32 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 500
Dream matches that never happened: who do you wish fought? When? Who would've won?

The "greatest fights" thread got me thinking... who would you have liked to have seen fight the most, and when? Who do you think would have won?

A few fights that come to mind for me:

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Randy Couture (2008)

How absolutely huge would that have been for the sport, if it happened. I can't help but think Couture would have been finished though.

Matt Hughes vs. Kazushi Sakuraba (2002)

It would have been on the heels of Sakuraba's losses to Vovchanchyn and Wanderlei, but within his weight class he was still on top. Would have been great to see Hughes face who was arguably the best fighter in the world at the time.

BJ Penn vs. Shinya Aoki (2008)

Another best vs. best dream fight. I would have given Penn the edge, given his standup and perfect takedown defense.

Junior dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem (2012)

OHHH MAN WOULD THIS HAVE EVER RULED. I think JDS would have won by knockout.

Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson (2012)

Too bad, so sad. Who else is there for Jones? This Henderson fight is the most compelling matchup there is right now. I don't think Henderson has the tools to beat Jones though... I think Jones is too smart a fighter to get caught. I'd see this being a TKO win for Jones.

BJ Penn vs. Gilbert Melendez (2012)

Melendez has cleared out Strikeforce, and this matchup would have been a great indicator of where he stands. I hope they make something like this happen. I think Penn would have won a decision.

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brock Lesnar (2013)

Yes please. I have no idea what I would expect. Brock wilts from strikes, but he's bigger and a better wrestler than Bigfoot. Fedor by TKO, strictly because I'm biased.

Last edited by kurt: 09-19-2012 at 01:39 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:35 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Brock Lesnar vs Fedor Emelianenko (2009): It would have been the biggest MMA in history.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Fedor vs Brock (2009)-Lesnar would immediately try and take him down but would not be succesful...Fedor would begin to overwhelm him a barrage and knock him down to win via tko or limb ripping armbar...im sure my bias is shining through. I get the feeling this fight is going to happen...something just tells me it is.

Jose Aldo vs BJ Penn-this always intrigued me..could happen at 155 lbs. Penn's boxing against Aldo's muay thai..both bjjj black belts..both can be ruthless finishers...BJ at 155 is an absolute monster.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:21 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Brock Lesnar vs. Fedor Emelianenko would have been the biggest fight of all time, so disappointed that it never happened.

Jon Jones vs. Anderson Silva, it could happen in the future, but I doubt it. I imagine when Silva is retired, this will be a fight a lot of people wished happened.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:49 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Junior dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem (2012)

OHHH MAN WOULD THIS HAVE EVER RULED. I think JDS would have won by knockout.
I think this fight will happen next year. It's unfortunate that it will be after the testosterone/PED stuff involving Overeem but it's still one of the fights I'm looking forward to the most.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:17 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Yeah, JDS/Ubereem will likely happen next year.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Jasper

Fedor vs. Anderson a few years ago would've been interesting.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:31 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Andrei Arlovski vs Mirko Cro Cop (2005)

Arlovski was the first UFC heavyweight champ who really carried an invincible aura (2nd after Coleman maybe?) until he dropped the belt to Tim Sylvia; seeing his boxing against Pride's most ferocious heavyweight striker would have been spectacular.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:50 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Is JDS any more of an accomplished striker then anyone Ubereem has fought before?

Would have loved Fedor vs Randy.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 04:40 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Is JDS any more of an accomplished striker then anyone Ubereem has fought before?

Would have loved Fedor vs Randy.
MMA boxing is so much different than K-1 boxing that it's hard to say; dos Santos is clearly the best MMA boxer I've ever seen. Guys like Mark Hunt and Paul Buentello are obviously super-tough, but they're not on the same planet as dos Santos ... the Overeem who fought Shogun / Belfort no longer exists, and their style is nothing like dos Santos anyway.

If we can cross eras, I'd like to see young, UFC 4 Royce Gracie fight against 2010 Demian Maia or 2009 Thales Leites. Might be super-boring, might be the best MMA jiu jitsu matches ever.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:00 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Bruce Lee vs Rorion Gracie (1972)

Gracie by triangle choke, 37 minutes into round 1.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:46 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
MMA boxing is so much different than K-1 boxing that it's hard to say; dos Santos is clearly the best MMA boxer I've ever seen. Guys like Mark Hunt and Paul Buentello are obviously super-tough, but they're not on the same planet as dos Santos ... the Overeem who fought Shogun / Belfort no longer exists, and their style is nothing like dos Santos anyway.
The Overeem that exists today is a much better fighter than the one that fought Belfort and Shogun (not sure if that's what you're saying or not). Picking a winner between JDS/Overeem is very tough. They're both sick strikers. It's a toss-up to me.
Quote:
Bruce Lee vs Rorion Gracie (1972)

Gracie by triangle choke, 37 minutes into round 1.
Why Rorion?

Weren't Rolls and Carly more highly regarded at the time if I recall correctly. I'd have to do a Gracie family refresher to know for sure as I might have them mixed.

Either way, Bruce Lee knocks out any Gracie in the first 10 minutes of the fight. And if it's a no holds barred street fight, Lee wins in under a minute. Bruce Lee was the man.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:48 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Why Rorion?

Weren't Rolls and Carly more highly regarded at the time if I recall correctly. I'd have to do a Gracie family refresher to know for sure as I might have them mixed.

Either way, Bruce Lee knocks out any Gracie in the first 10 minutes of the fight. And if it's a no holds barred street fight, Lee wins in under a minute. Bruce Lee was the man.
I thought he was the oldest of Helio's kids. I didn't consider his nephews. And you're right, Carley would have probably been a better choice. Rolls may have been a little young.

Not sure about the KO. I think Carley would butt-scoot towards Lee and eventually either bait him into guard or grab a leg. I guess it depends on how familiar Bruce Lee became with BJJ before the fight.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:23 PM
DeathFromAbove

Mike Tyson vs. Royce Gracie (UFC 1) - Tyson was in jail at this time, but I think it would have been incredible if the UFC somehow got him in one of the tournaments. All it would take is one punch.

Brock Lesnar vs. Fedor Emelianenko (2009) - This would have been the biggest MMA fight of all time. At the time both looked unstoppable. I think Fedor would have taken it.

Anderson Silva vs. Lyoto Machida (2009) - Two strikers that looked absolutely invincible. I had passionate debates about this one with friends.

Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva (2004) - By the time they actually got around to fighting each other both had lost their auras of invincibility.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:01 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
The Overeem that exists today is a much better fighter than the one that fought Belfort and Shogun (not sure if that's what you're saying or not). Picking a winner between JDS/Overeem is very tough. They're both sick strikers. It's a toss-up to me.
I think that's what he's trying to say, because Overeem is a much better fighter now, than he was when he fought Belfort and Shogun.

Quote:
I would expect Bruce Lee to defeat any Gracie, as well. I would never bet against Bruce Lee in a fight. Bruce Lee was the man, no doubt.

Also as much as I like Fedor I don't think he would or could have beat Lesnar if that fight ever happened, but I would have still loved to have seen it happen.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:19 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
I thought he was the oldest of Helio's kids. I didn't consider his nephews. And you're right, Carley would have probably been a better choice. Rolls may have been a little young.

Not sure about the KO. I think Carley would butt-scoot towards Lee and eventually either bait him into guard or grab a leg. I guess it depends on how familiar Bruce Lee became with BJJ before the fight.
Yeah, it's impossible to know how Lee would've fared against one of the Gracies. Lee was an amazing fighter and way ahead of his time but I remember reading a quote from him where he talked about training with a world class wrestler (Karl Gotch, I think) and how if the wrestler got ahold of him and took him down there was very little he could do. That was when he just started training wrestling though so he may have improved afterwards. Lee was just an unreal physical speciman though so I'd have trouble betting on anyone in his weight class to beat him.

Old
09-21-2012, 10:09 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:

No love for Rickson?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 09:26 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
No love for Rickson?
Rickson would've been 14 years old in 1972.

Old
09-22-2012, 04:51 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Steven Segal vs Pat Morita.

Frank Dux vs Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Chuck Norris vs the Fonz.

Kimo vs Harold Howard.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
If Reem gets tagged vs JDS as much as he did vs Werdum then he's going to sleep quickly. He tend to use the same defense in MMA as he does in K1 and with 4oz gloves that's a big no no against a guy like JDS. His offensive arsenal is top notch but his defense his questionnable. Hell even Brock tagged him a few times with slow ass jabs before getting kneed in the stomach. He also has a tendency to fold when pressured and his gas tank may be a problem past the first round.

I think JDS would capitulate on one of those flaws and win but i sure as hell don't count Reem out. One clinch and a couple of Uberknees and it may be the end of JDS. I still favor Junior though.

That said this fight needs to happen sometimes in 2013. Its the best possible matchup at HW at the moment imho.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:57 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Fedor vs Brock (2009)-Lesnar would immediately try and take him down but would not be succesful...Fedor would begin to overwhelm him a barrage and knock him down to win via tko or limb ripping armbar...im sure my bias is shining through. I get the feeling this fight is going to happen...something just tells me it is.

Jose Aldo vs BJ Penn-this always intrigued me..could happen at 155 lbs. Penn's boxing against Aldo's muay thai..both bjjj black belts..both can be ruthless finishers...BJ at 155 is an absolute monster.
aldo would dominate penn is well past his prime

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:01 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

GSP VS Silva and i think we will finally get it

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:45 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
aldo would dominate penn is well past his prime
Now maybe. Prime BJ vs. Aldo would be a different story. Of course Aldo would get hurt before it happened

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:52 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
These lists are all missing Faber v. Torres.

That was the dream fight of many for years when they were both at the tops of their games.

I'd of picked Faber by decision, though Torres may very well would win by sub.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:33 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
These lists are all missing Faber v. Torres.

That was the dream fight of many for years when they were both at the tops of their games.

I'd of picked Faber by decision, though Torres may very well would win by sub.
I remember the days when people would argue Torres was the P4P best in the world. I never agreed as many smaller guys were up at 155 to fight in the UFC, but he was definitely one of the best little guys in the world.